Name a club (1 Viewer)

Macca

The same size as us. Interested to see where people think we sit

ccfcway

Sclub7

Like us, it’s gone through a lot of changes in personnel and popularity isn’t what it used to be.

They don’t own their own stadium and get less than 10,000 now watching them.

They also play in places like Exeter now but were used to playing in large stadiums in Manchester and London.

Like us, their shining light is the SclubJuniors

Last edited:

ajsccfc

Up until a few seasons ago where we went in very different directions I always thought we were similar to Southampton in a lot of ways.

Londonccfcfan

Fuck me.....how long you got!?We will arguing about this.

Some will talk about about potential, the fanbase, our premier league history.

All things considered.

We should be a middle of the road Championship club.

Bigger than the Reading in every way, shape and form.
20 years would not even have dreamed of comparing ourselves to Reading.

We are bigger than,

Swansea, Bournemouth,Huddersfield, Birmingham.

But not not quite as big as
Sheffield clubs, Leicester, Baggies, etc.

Id say comparable would be ; Portsmouth/Southampton/Derby/Norwich.

steve82

Too much will be based on our history and 34 years in the top flight.

Unfortunately to me it is that, history now. I dont believe any club has a given right to remain at a level because they were once.

I'm struggling to place us tho on par with other clubs tho

italiahorse

Derby (Top of Championship with Occasional excursion into PL)

Many factors come into it.

- Fan base, as that is what helps finance the team. Big occasions (Tick) Regulars (Cross) Potential (Tick)
- Metropolitan area the fans are pulled from. Coventry and Warwickshire etc. (Tick)
- Size of stadium and facilities (Tick)
- Training facilities (Cross)
- Academy (Tick)
- Access to stadium incomes (Cross)
- Other potential incomes related to club (Full potential not realised)

However all above move into insignificance if an owner just wants to put money in (Bournemouth, Man City, Chelsea etc)

Last edited:

Old Warwickshire lad

When are we going to realise we are not a big club. We have a large amount of glory supporters, but lets see how many we get tonight.
Lets look at the days we were in the 1st Div ( fu** calling it the Premiership) cold wet Tues nights at Highfield rd. Some nights we did well to
get into double figures.
We have a core of about 14,000 who will be there if we are in 1st Div. Knock at least a couple of thousand off each time we drop a div, and
you wont be far off.
Come back when we sell 20,000 season tickets and I will think about changing my mind about us being a BIG club. And for the record, yes I buy a season ticket and yes I have been around to kin long (1963 first game) and seen most of it. Lol

M&B Stand

All things considered.

We are bigger than,

I’d say Birmingham City are bigger than the baggies and Sheffield Utd.
Derby are a big club also imho

A few years ago the old England Members Club has 25k members, on your application you stated the team you supported. They released a list of clubs supporterd by number within the membership and it made interesting reading (well not that interesting). Man Utd top, Spurs we’re second, We were 18th on the list. It was, give or take a few factors, like scousers don’t really follow England, a fair reflection of the size of club in England, (rangers were actually in the top 20).

italiahorse

When are we going to realise we are not a big club. We have a large amount of glory supporters, but lets see how many we get tonight.
Lets look at the days we were in the 1st Div ( fu** calling it the Premiership) cold wet Tues nights at Highfield rd. Some nights we did well to
get into double figures.
We have a core of about 14,000 who will be there if we are in 1st Div. Knock at least a couple of thousand off each time we drop a div, and
you wont be far off.
Come back when we sell 20,000 season tickets and I will think about changing my mind about us being a BIG club. And for the record, yes I buy a season ticket and yes I have been around to kin long (1963 first game) and seen most of it. Lol

All we can say is that potentially we can be a big club again.
Everything is there to be a championship club but obviously nothing is guaranteed.

italiahorse

I suspect people's age will have a large influence on the answers given.

Hence a lot of younger fans (youths) can easily support at this level and others easily say forget history.
Young kids can't easily be encouraged to start supporting because they can easily watch (and support) top teams with a sky subscription.
Older people like myself relate to the past and know we held our own in the top division.

torchomatic

I always saw us as a Norwich or Southampton kind of team.

Londonccfcfan

In 16 month times we will have our first generation of adults who born after our relegation from the Premier League. I suspect people's age will have a large influence on the answers given.

Good point, but an argument against that is i reckon most younger fans know about our history. They can see from our stadium(lol our) the set up when compared yo league one and two teams, our fans for eg 14k vs Stoke. We are a championship club at least.

My son is 11 even he knows we shouldnt be playing in League 2 or 1 and comparably we are a bigger club than most in Championship. And even a few teams in Premier.

Yes we will get a low attendance tonight. But win the next couple of games. Im sure the attendances will increase woth averages well over 13k, for Stanley, Luton, Lincoln and Notts County in the next month or so.

Captain Dart

Thanks to the magic of relegation and promotion clubs move up and down the 'size tree'.

CCFC has shrunk, rather like Wolves did in the mid 80's, but they only dropped to D4 in 5 or 6 years and rose again fairly swiftly.

Sheff Weds was another formerly comparable club that fell from the Prem around the same time we did but they've since been mostly in the Championship with a few seasons in League One.

Southampton have not been below D3 level since the late 50's, so I would say they are a bigger club.

The question I want answered is what is the ambition of the owners, are they content to leave this club yo-yoing between D3 & D4, if that is the limit of their ambition then I don't find it acceptable, CCFC is a football club not a profitable entry in a portfolio of businesses.

clint van damme

we're as big as every other club in the Midlands except villa and Forest, (maybe Derby).
All of their attendances went to shit when they were in the doldrums and none of them were in the doldrums as much as we currently are. If blues were where we are they wouldn't be getting our crowds.

oucho

Norwich, Leicester, Wolves, Sunderland, Derby.

Londonccfcfan

we're as big as every other club in the Midlands except villa and Forest, (maybe Derby).
All of their attendances went to shit when they were in the doldrums and none of them were in the doldrums as much as we currently are. If blues were where we are they wouldn't be getting our crowds.

Im afraid we will never be as big Leicester again, we have to admit that. Not even close.

Them winning the premier league is a game changer. They now have a world wide fan base and are very marketable brand.

We are stratospheres away from them.

Leicester are not historically bigger than forest or Villa,but id go as far and say at this moment in time they are the biggest premier league club. And tGsts not just by going league position.

Their revenue will be more than evety other midlands club put together. Ffs!

torchomatic

Objectively now, perhaps Bradford? But let's be clear, you look at most PL teams below 6th or 7th place and they are nothing special, just reasonably well managed. As we used to be.

Absolutely right. We could be in their position easily with new owners and a ground of our own. Exactly why I don't fear playing Brighton in the next round, they're nothing special. None of those lower PL teams are.

clint van damme

Im afraid we will never be as big Leicester again, we have to admit that. Not even close.

Them winning the premier league is a game changer. They now have a world wide fan base and are very marketable brand.

We are stratospheres away from them.

Leicester are not historically bigger than forest or Villa,but id go as far and say at this moment in time they are the biggest premier league club. And tGsts not just by going league position.

Their revenue will be more than evety other midlands club put together. Ffs!

Of course we're not as big as them now. But historically we much the same in size. If our positions were reversed we'd be where they are and vice versa. I remember when we were all in the top flight and villa and forest got bigger crowds but everyone else was much the same.
We could get to where Leicester or Stoke or Albion are, it would need something seismic the get us beyond that.

Londonccfcfan

Of course we're not as big as them now. But historically we much the same in size. If our positions were reversed we'd be where they are and vice versa. I remember when we were all in the top flight and villa and forest got bigger crowds but everyone else was much the same.
We could get to where Leicester or Stoke or Albion are, it would need something seismic the get us beyond that.
Impossoible now. Its a great time to be in the premiership. The longer it takes the further we drift away.

By the time we get to the championship, leicesters turnover could be in the 1/4 billion category.

Ours may get to 10 million in championship.

Like i said their turnover this year will be more than all midlands team put together. Thats frightening.

steve82

Having thought about it Bradford is a fair comparison and maybe Portsmouth too for the supporter potential.

Tho we're one bad move away from being a Burton Albion or Forest Green, Accrington sized supported club.

clint van damme

Impossoible now. Its a great time to be in the premiership. The longer it takes the further we drift away.

By the time we get to the championship, leicesters turnover could be in the 1/4 billion category.

Ours may get to 10 million in championship.

Like i said their turnover this year will be more than all midlands team put together. Thats frightening.

it's not impossible. Unlikely, and would obviously require new owners but definitely not impossible.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

All things considered.

We are bigger than,

Disagree with some of this.
Leicester are not bigger than Coventry . Might be now but were certainly NOT previously. Coventry City are bigger than Sheffield United in my view. Sheff Wed are bigger than Coventry and perhaps Birmingham might be but overall tend to disappoint their fans , a bit like us!

Similar to Coventry , Southampton , WBA , Norwich(bit smaller than us), Leicester and Derby(they might be slightly bigger than us)

Users who are viewing this thread