Mowbray says... / Marc-Antoine Fortune (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

not great goalscoring record but always thought he was decent when i saw him play

Ask most Cov fans and they'd probably say the same about Robert Rosario and look how he changed the City attack while he was here with Gally and Sumo in the Armstrong position.

Hobo

Good addition to the squad.

tom88

Pleased with this! Just hope some fans don't expect 20 goals from him.

With MAF up front this will give AA so much more space since teams have doubled up on him

armybike

"It is a new era for the club, I'm really happy to be a part of it." Coventry City's Marc-Antoine Fortune

he 34-year old forward joins the Sky Blues on a one-year deal and bolsters City's forward line for the 2015/16 season...
Coventry City have signed striker Marc Antoine-Fortune on a one-year deal.

The Sky Blues have bolstered their strikeforce with the former West Bromwich Albion man, who has trained with the Sky Blues over the past week and impressed manager Tony Mowbray.

He will wear the number 32 for the Sky Blues.

The French-Guianan forward started his career in France and went on to play for AS Nancy, Stade Brest and Lille as well as Dutch Eredivise side Utrecht.

He attracted the interest of Premier League side West Bromwich Albion in 2009 where he signed on a season-long loan deal for current City boss Mowbray.

Following the conclusion of the loan, Mowbray signed Fortune again for Scottish Premiership side Celtic in 2009 before he moved back to the Black Country for a three-year spell with Albion.

Before the summer, Fortune enjoyed two years at Wigan Athletic and Mowbray has expressed his delight at linking up with the 34-year old once again.

The City boss said: "Marc has trained with the club for the past week and I'm delighted we've finally been able to get him signed up.

"I've signed Marc at Celtic and West Bromwich Albion, and he's played in the Premier League and Champions League for me.

"He'll give the squad a physical presence up front and he'll bring plenty of experience to the squad, which the young players can tap into.

"He's a great option for us to have and with Marc in our squad, I think we've got a better balance in the forward areas."

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/marc-antoine-fortune-signing-coventry-city-interview-2669746.aspx

shmmeee

Good that he's bringing in players he's worked with. Should mean they're less of a risk and can gel quicker.

Nice bit of power added this week. I wonder if either are fit enough to start yet.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I'm happy with this!

He could be a better version of Clive Platt, who despite his critics actually offered something out other strikers at the time didn't. They aren't prolific, but they can bring people into play, hold it up, unsettle defences, lay it off to a more of a goal scorer, and we already know we have one of them in Armstrong, and I think George Thomas could also benefit from a player like that too!

Makes me wonder whether we will change our set up to accommodate the two strikers though, or if we'll persevere with the shape of 4 up top with the likes of JOB and Rubén either side of these two.

duffer

Good signing this, like it. Like TM says, there's a lot of experience here and at a very decent level. Happy. :)

Edit: At 2.32m he'll also come in handy for cleaning the gutters and getting the ball out of the trees at Ryton. ;)

Last edited:

stupot07

I suspect he was part of the WBA team who also scored 100+ goals to get themselves promoted from the championship too?

No he joined them in the January of the season following the promotion (Jan 2009), they were already in the PL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

shmmeee

I'm happy with this!

He could be a better version of Clive Platt, who despite his critics actually offered something out other strikers at the time didn't. They aren't prolific, but they can bring people into play, hold it up, unsettle defences, lay it off to a more of a goal scorer, and we already know we have one of them in Armstrong, and I think George Thomas could also benefit from a player like that too!

Makes me wonder whether we will change our set up to accommodate the two strikers though, or if we'll persevere with the shape of 4 up top with the likes of JOB and Rubén either side of these two.

If we are going to preserve the shape we might go for Fortune up front and Armstrong as one of the three. Have three trickier players buzzing around a big target up top.

I like the squad Mowbray is building. I can't remember the last time I was so happy with the balance.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm happy with this!

Gives us variations and options depending on the opposition and how the game is going, can go 1 upfront with one striker, 2 upfront with wingers in a 442, 4-3-3 with Lateef and Armstrong either side flanking Fortune.

I'm not sure how fast Fortune is still but I get the feeling that Fortune, Lateef and Armstrong are flexible players and should be able to rotate in various positions by playing right up top, out on the wing or in the number 10 position.

shmmeee

Reading his wiki it seems he spent a lot of time either wide midfield (right and left) or wide in a front three. So you could well be right.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Reading his wiki it seems he spent a lot of time either wide midfield (right and left) or wide in a front three. So you could well be right.

Yea I remember him doing it at various points in his career in the past but don't know if at 34 that is still something he can realistically do on the wing.

H

Huckerby

Buzzing! Really excited for Sunday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

id rather have kept simeon jackson

Simeon Jackson was just a 'name' signing by Pressley though. Probably never even watched him recently before he signed him. At least Fortune is a player Mowbray knows about and what he can add to teams, obviously he thinks we're missing some power up front.

simonregis

I wish people would stop living in the past when it comes to signings. If this was 15 years ago in the premiership or 10 years ago in the championship I could understand the complaints, but we are a Division one club and our position and budget dictate who we bring in. Personally speaking I think TM is doing amazingly well.

ccfc92

I'm not too fussed how many goals he gets for us.

We are lacking strength in the air up top, and to be fair to Armstrong he's not good in the air at all.

If Fortune can hold the ball up, and play in Armstrong, then Fortune's assists will be just as valuable.

Grendel

I wish people would stop living in the past when it comes to signings. If this was 15 years ago in the premiership or 10 years ago in the championship I could understand the complaints, but we are a Division one club and our position and budget dictate who we bring in. Personally speaking I think TM is doing amazingly well.

13 years ago in the championship we were signing players from Man Utd.

Bring back Neil Wood and Eddie Johnson

fernandopartridge

It's not just about getting goals it's about helping others to get them. Another striker to occupy will help no end. Best wishes to Fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread