oucho

Nilsson - Swedish champions with Malmo
Reid - promoted twice as Champions with Sunderland
Adams - four promotions including one to the PL with Leicester
Dowie - promoted to the Prem with Palace
Coleman - qualified Wales to Euro 2016
Boothroyd - won promotion to the PL with Watford
Pressley - won the Scottish Challenge cup with Falkirk

We haven't appointed losers as managers. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the people we have appointed. The short-termism at the club, IMO, is to blame. Give any manager a minimum of three years, then take stock thereafter. We won't become a success in the long term with putting up with a development period where we are crap for a few years. I wouldn't even look for signs of progress for the first two yeasr under a new boss - just let them build the club over 3-5 years then see where we are.

Otis

We haven't appointed losers as managers. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the people we have appointed. The short-termism at the club, IMO, is to blame. Give any manager a minimum of three years, then take stock thereafter. We won't become a success in the long term with putting up with a development period where we are crap for a few years. I wouldn't even look for signs of progress for the first two yeasr under a new boss - just let them build the club over 3-5 years then see where we are.
We haven't appointed losers as managers. We have appointed managers that have become losers.

Mowbray's failure this season has had very little to do with the owners though. The owners didn't choose the tactics or make TM play Ricketts and Cole every week.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

i so want lameries to do well but hes shit nearly every single time he steps on pitch nowadays

He hasn't been amazing i'll agree, but I think he could be if he got a run of games. The fact like last night he got brought on when we had pretty much given up doesn't really help I would have thought.

Nick

Administrator

So why is short term the new buzz word? Why wasn't it like that in October?

stupot07

But Pressley and Nilsson aside, all of those managers had been sacked for failures at some point before us appointing them, sometimes a manager just drops lucky, with a decebt squad that all hit at the same time and has a perfect storm (dowie and boothroyd), more of a blip than them being winners.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SkyBlueZack

Where does the notion selling Maddison has caused our slump in form? Or is that the only way it can be traced back to the owners? Off the field stuff? What? Like Northampton had a winding up order and sit top of league two? Some are desperate to blame SISU for anything.

I don't want Mowbray to be sacked but the blame lies solely with him and his players.

Nick

Administrator
Where does the notion selling Maddison has caused our slump in form? Or is that the only way it can be traced back to the owners? Off the field stuff? What? Like Northampton had a winding up order and sit top of league two? Some are desperate to blame SISU for anything.

I don't want Mowbray to be sacked but the blame lies solely with him and his players.

The same Maddison who hardly played and wasn't very good before he was sold...

It is scraping the barrel a bit.

SkyBlueZack

Oh and before the lack of ambition shouts. Delle Alli was sold the year MK dons went up in the January with a loan back. Personally the difference is A, Alli is a better player than Maddison and B, their team/squad had more quality and wanted it more.

you're an idiot

Totally agree, it's clear he's only able to apply his football principles with loans because previous stewardship hasn't brought in the right players (lack of scouting network and database!) so we're at ground zero, clearing the decks and looking forward. Look at the impact momentum has on back to back promotions for teams such as Leicester, Bournemouth and burton now. If we're not ready this year but go up (forgone conclusion that won't happen) we'd simply come crashing back down, pointless!

oucho

So why is short term the new buzz word? Why wasn't it like that in October?

IMO sacking the manager because of a poor run of form is short-termism. TF once said to me that "SP is a long term solution but we need a short term solution too." I disagreed and still do. To build long term success over a decade or more, starts with a build-up period where one manager, and it might as well be TM, gets to mould the club in his own image over the course of 3 years. We should ignore results during that formative period - unfortunately, most fans choose not do so, hence the trigger-happy nature of our board.

We haven't appointed losers as managers. We have appointed managers that have become losers.

Mowbray's failure this season has had very little to do with the owners though. The owners didn't choose the tactics or make TM play Ricketts and Cole every week.

I wasn't blaming the owners per se on this occasion - there is a culture at the club of going through a manager every 12 months on average since the WGS days, and I'm sure part of that is down to restless fans thinking we can get a quick fix by swapping managers and seeing a permanent uptick in form. TM has a 40% win ratio - we'd be mad to get rid.

Captain Dart

Captain Dart

But Pressley and Nilsson aside, all of those managers had been sacked for failures at some point before us appointing them, sometimes a manager just drops lucky, with a decebt squad that all hit at the same time and has a perfect storm (dowie and boothroyd), more of a blip than them being winners.

Historical rumor has it that a subordinate once asked Napoleon, “What kind of generals do you want?” “I want lucky ones,” he replied.

ClarkeZ

So 1 place above last year is fine because progress has been made?

Nobody else bothered we were over 10 points clear in the playoffs and screwed it up, as he has done elsewhere?

Yes we're bothered but what are you realistically thinking will happen now if TM goes and the next messiah comes in?
No-one is taking this team to the Championship this year, that's as close to fact as you get.

So by sacking him now all we are doing is continuing the same revolving door of short-sightedness which has been resident in the club, leading to 12 managers in 15 years since Strachan went in 01. In that time we have gone nowhere but down. So surely there's a problem there. It's been empirically proven, time and time and time and time again that it gets us absolutely fucking nowhere.

I agree that our form is pathetic and missing the playoffs is not acceptable, but maybe, just maybe, since we are not in danger of relegation, lets give someone the time to build what he wants. TM has bought some players in who will factor for time to come. Give him the summer to keep building and bring in the players he wants to suit his game plan. Then come November if we're still a bag of shite then I will hold my hands up and say it hasn't worked.

It's just as much an unknown risk to change the manager, again, as it is to not. Theres a big rebuild coming in the summer no matter who is in charge, TM knows the academy by now and how each player will fit into a system. Right now I think he's best placed to use the summer wisely and build into next season.

chiefdave

How many of our managers have gone on to better things after leaving CCFC? There's more than the odd one or two that haven't even got another job!

fernandopartridge

What a load of bollocks. Changing manager every sason is not the answer. Yes something has gone wrong but let mowbray sort it and look forward to next sason.
we have had a better season this year than for the last five years so stop jumping on the bandwagon of mowbrey out. The problem with our club is fickle fans with no passion or loyalty
Indeed, see how quickly the fans fucked off after the good attendances against Walsall and Burton.

Sky Blue Harry H

I think we should and will give TM a chance to build for next season. The club can't afford to waste it's budget paying him off and then paying another manager. That said, if our current form extended far into next season, I think the board would have to act. We all want him to succeed (in fact whoever is in charge we want them to succeed). It would be sad if the only thing left for the frustrated fans this season is to vent their spleen at the players. Not a nice experience for the players or fans. For everybody's sake I hope we can pick things up between now and the end of the season.

SkyblueBazza

He has done wonders for us, who would have taken 9th at start of season? I honestly expected us to be fighting relegation this season.
I agree entirely with you o that. Although...we ain't finished 9th yet Steve!
I wonder if we are looking more like 13th tbh

...onwards & upwards PUSB

higgs

fb5933805060402df43899a10f64891b.jpg

stupot07

Yeah they were really lucky when they were here.....and in their subsequent managerial positions. Well done Nepolian.....

oucho

Have a bit of faith will you - football is meant to be about the unexpected. You have to go to games with the faith that, despite the odds, we'll give everyone a nice surprise and do well. Same applies now.

The Mog giveth, the Mog hath taken away.....blessed be the name of the Mog.

hughron

What a load of bollocks. Changing manager every sason is not the answer. Yes something has gone wrong but let mowbray sort it and look forward to next sason.
we have had a better season this year than for the last five years so stop jumping on the bandwagon of mowbrey out. The problem with our club is fickle fans with no passion or loyalty
Mobo:

Totally agree, fickle fans are the main problem.

oucho

Sacking someone for failing after 18 months is ridiculous, it's like saying a baby is ugly 5 months before it's born.

Skyblueweeman

Sacking someone for failing after 18 months is ridiculous, it's like saying a baby is ugly 5 months before it's born.

Sacking someone after 18 games is ridiculous (although plausible)....sacking someone for failing after 18 months would be standard practice I would've thought??

luwalla

no, its like saying a baby is ugly when its 18 months old... and this baby is looking pretty damn ugly! ( actually there are some signs of beauty, unfortunately most of that will be off end of the season! )

who knows though, could grow into a stunner! one things is for sure though, this is now a mowbray team out there, being managed by mowbray for a full season ( all told ) now.

yes , im sure it will build over the years into more of a mowbray team, and hopefully that team will be more successful.

Users who are viewing this thread