Momentum and optimism... gone? (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

We signed a number of players before they even returned from pre season both this summer and last
We seem to always get last pick when everybody else has finished.
Not sure if this is exactly the case but it just seems like it every year.
Need a McNulty replacement pretty quickly so we can start the season running.
Get it right and we could sale straight through this division but need to start winning from day one rather than try and catch up later.
Hopefully Robins knows what he is doing ...... again.

Liquid Gold

Get it right and we could sale straight through this division but need to start winning from day one rather than try and catch up later.
We've had players chose to sign for us over Bolton and Charlton and that's just ones we know about, both completed fairly early in the window.

Nick

Administrator

What are you on about?

We did the majority of our business early on before their contracts had even expired at their existing clubs.

shmmeee

Ogogo
Brown
Mason
Sterling
Allassani
Westbrooke

I reckon they will all be around the Matchday squad

Bouma and the fella from Mickleover will probably stay in the U23s.

Hasn't Willis already been sold in every transfer window in the past 3 years?

Both Mason and Brown won't be will they? They're the same position. Mason is an U23 cover.

Sterling is playing his first pro games
Ogogo has barely played pre season due to injury and is competing with arguably our strongest position in terms of quality.
Westbrook is clearly an U23 support player.

Basically we've signed Alassani (young and unproven) and Brown/Ogogo (coming back from serious injury). Meanwhile we've lost our top scorer.

Not massively inspiring is it? I mean when you look at it in the cold light of day. Keep the faith, believe in Robins and all that, but you can understand how some fans would be underwhelmed with that business in a summer where we pulled in £4m of transfer fees.

Nick

Administrator
Mason would be on the bench you would think.

Ogogo won't have been brought in to sit on the bench if we are outbidding other clubs to get him here.
Westbrook also has a chance to be around the matchday squad, it depends if he still wants to pack the midfield out or not though.

I remember people moaning last season about the recruitment, especially the top scorer people are moaning about leaving now.

fatso

I’m actually very optimistic about the coming season, I expect a new striker to arrive in the next week, then we have a squad with some great quality, and some real strength in depth.
If you compare this squad with the one that got relegated from league 1, there’s no doubt that it’s a massive improvement.
Bring it on!

Esoterica

What are you on about?

We did the majority of our business early on before their contracts had even expired at their existing clubs.
For the 2nd season in a row too. And on long contracts. People moaning about us signing U23 players and people whose careers have stalled through injury but with a core squad on longer contracts that's exactly what we're able to do - take a gamble on players with big potential or bide our time for the right player instead of needing to build a whole new first team.

Complaining about the momentum being gone after losing 1 player and in the same argument saying we haven't strengthened in enough positions! Same as this concept that 'so many teams get back to back promotion - it's an absolute rarity. No-one who got promoted from Champ/L1/L2 in 2016/2017 even made the playoffs in their respective new divisions last year. League 1s promoted teams last season were Blackburn, Wigan and Rotherham - the 3 teams relegated from the Championship the season before.

Momentum will be establishing ourselves as a top 10 L1 club and building on our contracted core squad again next summer.

italiahorse

What are you on about?

But we are missing players in key areas at this level as mentioned.
Surely even you know that ?
I don't want a striker coming in just before the window closes and then trying to catch back lost points.
It's slightly better this season as you suggest, but in my mind we lack experience at this level and we have a few unknowns which just maybe hit the ground running.

Liquid Gold

On the flip side I'd rather trust in Biamou JCH and Ponti than bring in Andre Wright and Dan Agyei because we feel like we have to get someone in. Hopefully Robins is just playing the game waiting to get someone we actually want, although I do wish it would hurry up.

italiahorse

For the 2nd season in a row too. And on long contracts. People moaning about us signing U23 players and people whose careers have stalled through injury but with a core squad on longer contracts that's exactly what we're able to do - take a gamble on players with big potential or bide our time for the right player instead of needing to build a whole new first team.

Complaining about the momentum being gone after losing 1 player and in the same argument saying we haven't strengthened in enough positions! Same as this concept that 'so many teams get back to back promotion - it's an absolute rarity. No-one who got promoted from Champ/L1/L2 in 2016/2017 even made the playoffs in their respective new divisions last year. League 1s promoted teams last season were Blackburn, Wigan and Rotherham - the 3 teams relegated from the Championship the season before.

Momentum will be establishing ourselves as a top 10 L1 club and building on our contracted core squad again next summer.

You maybe right but I always start the season expecting to get promoted.
In that respect people should voice where they see problems although moaning is perhaps a little early.
I'll will have realistic expectations knocked into me during the season.

robbiekeane

What has that got to do with your completely bullshit claim that we always have the last pick, when we’ve done our business early the last two years?

Just moving the goalposts now or are you going to accept that your statement was completed rubbish?

clint van damme

I don't want a striker coming in just before the window closes and then trying to catch back lost points.
It's slightly better this season as you suggest, but in my mind we lack experience at this level and we have a few unknowns which just maybe hit the ground running.

The main one been a striker. But maybe Robins thought he'd done enough to persuade McNulty to stay and then the Reading offer came in. It happens. He's still got time, (and money), to bring in a replacement.

Nick

Administrator

Where is the experience lacking in League 1?

We are missing a couple of players at the most, a striker and maybe a goalkeeper. That's nowhere near your original post saying we always miss out.

italiahorse

We signed a number of players before they even returned from pre season both this summer and last
Which gives us a bit of stability, particularly with the long term contracts.
I just feel we need to enhance this with a couple of players with experience at this level, particular up front.

Esoterica

Do you think that whatever striker we sign will have just been sat on their arse all summer?
Off the top of my head, JCH and Andreu have both played Championship footy. Doyle, Willis, Ogogo, Kelly have all captained L1 teams. Jones, Burge, McDonald, Grimmer all had seasons in L1

NorthernWisdom

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy signing potential rather than has-beens. I'm also not expecting promotion the coming season.

I won't, however, big up our signings beyond where they deserve *at this point in time*. Losing McNulty *if we don't replace him adequately* would also have me concerned top 10 is optimistic.

italiahorse

Do you think that whatever striker we sign will have just been sat on their arse all summer?
Off the top of my head, JCH and Andreu have both played Championship footy. Doyle, Willis, Ogogo, Kelly have all captained L1 teams. Jones, Burge, McDonald, Grimmer all had seasons in L1
Hopefully your right, I just don't see many goals yet.
Nothing wrong in wanting a striker in for the pre season however unrealistic it may be.
Loved to be shot down in flames during August though.

italiahorse

Do us all a favour and fuck off and don't bother posting if that's the sort of shit answer you post.

Nick posted a response to what you wrote and as you lack the gravitas or intelligence you post that.

Seriously fuck off, get a life and come back when you have something to contribute.

He just won't accept someones opinion and always arguing as if he is always right, aggressively.
It's boring. Just accept it's an opinion and leave it at that.

Nick

Administrator
He just won't accept someones opinion and always arguing as if he is always right, aggressively.

It isn't opinion is it when people are using facts and all you reply with is "yawn". Multiple people have corrected you with the same reply pretty much.

If this is your attempt at "discussing CCFC" then you can do one now.

Irish Sky Blue

Can't help but think it's chicken and egg though. I'd say the chanting vanished because the team was winning, it wasn't that the chanting vanished so the team started winning.

Never understood why you can't do both anyway. Nowt wrong with a nice song in support of the team, a SISU Out chant, and another chant all about our new 50 goal a season striker.
I agree. Sisu Out chants are not anti the team and doesn’t mean there is a negative atmosphere. There were still plenty of Sisu Out chants last season, often when we were winning.

italiahorse

It isn't opinion is it when people are using facts and all you reply with is "yawn". Multiple people have corrected you with the same reply pretty much.

If this is your attempt at "discussing CCFC" then you can do one now.

How can you correct an opinion ? Why is your opinion a fact ?
Just ban me then rather than PM me with warnings of what I can and can't post.
It's becoming a board of nodding donkeys.

Nick

Administrator

People have quoted facts to you that disprove what you have said.... You have no intention of even acknowledging them by the look of it.

It's nothing to do with being a nodding donkey is it? It's being able to actually have a discussion.

Why not reply to the points that were made in reply to you instead of trying your "yawn" line and to completely disrupt the thread when you get corrected?

I have asked you which players lack experience for League 1 but you haven't replied about that.

Moff

But you are so blinded by your dislike for what Nick writes you can also do the same.
Its all opinion and subjective, and at least if you disagree argue back, you have a voice like he does, its just posting Yawn is just a waste of time, yours, his and everyone's.
I don't want to argue with you, its just felt that reply was not on.

Moff

Lots of people have disagreed with the OP's post, but have done it in a less confrontational manner.
You know and I know its not a board of nodding donkeys or dogs, but if you feel that way why bother posting?

Nick

Administrator
But you are so blinded by your dislike for what Nick writes you can also do the same.
Its all opinion and subjective, and at least if you disagree argue back, you have a voice like he does, its just posting Yawn is just a waste of time, yours, his and everyone's.
I don't want to argue with you, its just felt that reply was not on.

Other people also disagreed, Esoterica went through our players.

He has ignored the others.

Liquid Gold

In my opinion the world is flat, trees are made of crisps and wasps are great. If anybody posts anything to refute it then I'll cry as they're attacking my opinion.

Moff

In my opinion the world is flat, trees are made of crisps and wasps are great. If anybody posts anything to refute it then I'll cry as they're attacking my opinion.

All fair points. I was optimistic about our season until Willis left for Rotherham two years ago, and Bayliss signed for Derby...………….and now for the grand finale, I just hope we don't sell Julian Gray.

Users who are viewing this thread