Momentum and optimism... gone? (1 Viewer)

The Lurker

After the buzz from last season and the short break, I was hoping the momentum from Wembley would carry forward but due to lack of players coming in despite the Maddison and McNulty money it seems many fans are pissed off with sisu again. If we start slowly I can see the sisu out chants starting again.

pastythegreat

You do know we've bought in 9 players.
Robins has stated he's only looking at bringing in 3 more with a striker as his priority.
What part of that is "lack of players"? I think you're just looking for an excuse to not go up or start a sisu out thread/chant??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

luwalla

To be fair to the original poster I think most of us know the point he is trying to make... maybe just some mis-chosen words.

We have brought in a fair few players, and they look to be good signings. A few of them are for the future, but some should have an immediate impact ( the two from shrews for a start )

I think the main thing missing / main thing annoying some is that we lost one of the best strikers we have had in as long as most of us can remember, and so far come no where near to replacing him ... with the season two weeks away & despite also benefitting form a large cash windfall. Yes most of us trust in MR , but its getting close & we lost a couple of games we'd have expected us to win pre-season... which has taken the excitement away for some from last seasons lift. On that though, we had a couple of key players missing on England duty & a couple of other key players not fit to play.

As I say, taking a balanced view I get the point being made... but im sure if we had all players available pre-season & a replacement striker through the door it would have been a different pre-season.

Last edited:

clint van damme

After the buzz from last season and the short break, I was hoping the momentum from Wembley would carry forward but due to lack of players coming in despite the Maddison and McNulty money it seems many fans are pissed off with sisu again. If we start slowly I can see the sisu out chants starting again.

think the close season business has been good and carried out in the right way with the exception of the Chaplin debacle which leaves us short of a striker. Hopefully that will be put right in the coming days.
Not replacing your top scorer is obviously going to cause unrest among the support.

torchomatic

Ha, nice try.

superskyblue

The McNulty sale and subsequent lack of replacement (so far) has definitely taken the wind out of my sails. But I appreciate that our hands were tied.

I'm also petrified of us playing 3 at the back for reasons I've mentioned previously. So I'm not as optimistic as I was 4 weeks ago.

Still, I have faith in Robins to get us ready in time.

CovisGod

We could start the season with Biamou, JCH and Ponticelli and we'll be top 6 by Christmas, heard it here first. I honestly believe Biamou and JCH will really kick on next season and this could be Pontis chance to really stake his claim in the first team.

If Cov was looking at Ponticelli from another club and we were talking about the amount of goals he'd scored for the Under 23s, looking at highlights packages of what he'd already done we'd all be proper excited he was signing. This for me will be the season that makes him.

oucho

Get a grip, we've not kicked a ball in anger yet.....I know it's hard, being a Cov fan, to be anything other than negative but let's not pretend there's a negative vibe when there patently isn't one at the moment! Knowing us we'll have another trough soon enough, just enjoy a rare up moment while it lasts! No need to bring us down before we have to come down!

Magwitch

Robins has signed 9 players ffs, hopeful of 3 more to come ingot rid of plenty of garbage too and Some signings are very much for the future. Last season he signed a similar amount and it took most the season for them to gel. Signing a bulk of players in one go always has a risk factor but I think most will be okay and add to all that Andrue and Jones. We have only been away from division one a season and I don’t see it that different from before and we look a lot better on paper atleast than our relegation squad.

The Lurker

out of the players we’ve signed where have we strengthened? most signings are for the development squad. Apart from sterling, Ogogo and junior brown most wont feature. If we miss out on Chaplin which is looking more likely by the day then we could end up with scraps for a striker which is going to make or break our season.

The amount of money we’ve made from promotion, Wembley, Maddison and McNulty the transfer window for me has been disappointing so far

Nick

Administrator
out of the players we’ve signed where have we strengthened? most signings are for the development squad. Apart from sterling, Ogogo and junior brown most wont feature. If we miss out on Chaplin which is looking more likely by the day then we could end up with scraps for a striker which is going to make or break our season.

The amount of money we’ve made from promotion, Wembley, Maddison and McNulty the transfer window for me has been disappointing so far

I think Allassani will play and do more than people expect.

torchomatic

Not sure why fans are pissed off with SISU, OP. We've signed a shedload of players and McNulty and his agent engineered the move to the mighty Reading. Nothing to do with SISU, the club or Robins.

skyblueelephant76

You've just explained where we have strengthened - left back, centre mid and rightback. Add to that Andreu and Jones and that's half a team of better players that will be available. Get a replacement for McNulty and we've done some good business.

pastythegreat

I get what your saying about the windfall we've had recently. We could of gone out and made a statement after McNulty left.

In terms of strengthening positions, I'd say LB is strengthened. Ogogo is an improvement on Kelly, and both positions have experienced a L1 play off too. Andrue (although not a new signing) strengthens us too. I can see Sterling playing ahead of Grimmer tbf. And from what I've been reading about him he looks quality (time will tell if it's strengthened though) Allissani will at least compete with Shipley. He's come from non league granted, but only because of injury, he was on Arsenals radar before injury so he's not gonna be shit.
Aside from speculation, we've kept hold of Willis, McDonald and Bayliss so that's a plus.

As for the rest, granted their all development/U23s players, but so too were Shipley and Bayliss this time last season.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Pete in Portugal

I would argue that the new signings, together with the return of Jones and Andreu, will give us improved options in ALL except the following positions:

Goalkeeper - no change (jury out on this vital position perhaps?)
Central Defence - no change (no change required, unless possibly if Robins persists with 3 at the back)
Striker - one main goalscorer less and a million quid or so in the bank (this is clearly our top priority and there's still time for Robins to sort it)

Overall, I'd say that's pretty impressive and I remain cautiously optimistic for next season. My caution will be reduced once we get a replacement for McNulty and once all the squad is match fit - clearly there are currently several fitness issues to be addressed and time is not on our side.

Brighton Sky Blue

Suppose this were a Shrewsbury forum. Finishing 3rd in the league within a whisker of promotion to the Championship and an up and coming manager at the helm. All good right? He leaves for somewhere else, and we lose 2 of our better players to a promoted team then replace one with Ryan Haynes.

It would be meltdown.

The Lurker

Stopped reading here hahaha aren't we on 9 signings or something? What a clown.

Goalposts will move next and it will be the quality not the number...

Clown. ok Geoff. Wait until Willis goes before the season starts too.

most players signed won’t be anywhere near the matchday squad. Considering how much money we’ve received in the past few months the investment into the team is a worry. this season could be special on the bounce of last season and the buzz round the city. They should have went for it and give Robins money to invest. instead we’re 9 days away and lightweight up front in terms of goals

Nick

Administrator
Clown. ok Geoff. Wait until Willis goes before the season starts too.

most players signed won’t be anywhere near the matchday squad. Considering how much money we’ve received in the past few months the investment into the team is a worry. this season could be special on the bounce of last season and the buzz round the city. They should have went for it and give Robins money to invest. instead we’re 9 days away and lightweight up front in terms of goals

Ogogo
Brown
Mason
Sterling
Allassani
Westbrooke

I reckon they will all be around the Matchday squad

Bouma and the fella from Mickleover will probably stay in the U23s.

Hasn't Willis already been sold in every transfer window in the past 3 years?

NorthernWisdom

I'd actually agree.

I don't expect a fortune spent, I do understand most cash from transfers has to go back into the running costs, but we do seem to be throwing all our eggs in one striker basket. I'd have expected the McNulty cash to have been used for a replacement for him, sure, but also as a bump to get a deal or two over the line that otherwise we wouldn't have been able to do.

NorthernWisdom

Ogogo
Brown
Mason
Sterling
Allassani
Westbrooke

I reckon they will all be around the Matchday squad

Bouma and the fella from Mickleover will probably stay in the U23s.

Hasn't Willis already been sold in every transfer window in the past 3 years?
Hmm. I'd say Allassani and Westbrooke are a bonus if they do end up there early doors. Mason's a long-ish term plan I guess, along with being there in case Brown suffers any kind of set back. In many ways if Mason ends up in the first team that's bad, as it means something's gone wrong with Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread