Momentum and optimism... gone? (1 Viewer)

Hobo

The difference between last season and this from an attacking point of view:

No McNulty.
Add Andreu, Jones, Allassani, and a maturing Ponticelli.
Plus we have strengthened at fullback positions and centre of midfield. I think goals will be spread throughout the team more.

Nick

Administrator
I'd actually agree.

I don't expect a fortune spent, I do understand most cash from transfers has to go back into the running costs, but we do seem to be throwing all our eggs in one striker basket. I'd have expected the McNulty cash to have been used for a replacement for him, sure, but also as a bump to get a deal or two over the line that otherwise we wouldn't have been able to do.

How do you know it wasn't used to get a couple over the line? :)

Irish Sky Blue

Not sure why fans are pissed off with SISU, OP. We've signed a shedload of players and McNulty and his agent engineered the move to the mighty Reading. Nothing to do with SISU, the club or Robins.

The reasons why fans are still upset with Sisu remain the same. They have not changed. Can’t be bothered to list everything again but they are still the biggest stumbling block to getting the infrastructure right for sustained progress. As to what people think of them, that was clear the moment Fisher appeared on the screen at Wembley.

Gibbo

I’m really excited for the new season. Allassani is the new mcnulty, Andreu is like a new signing, bayliss is staying (that’s right huh?!?!), an exciting new formation...what could go wrong?
(I’m actually very optimistic).
True - except for the new formation. That part will go belly up

Nick

Administrator
The reasons why fans are still upset with Sisu remain the same. They have not changed. Can’t be bothered to list everything again but they are still the biggest stumbling block to getting the infrastructure right for sustained progress. As to what people think of them, that was clear the moment Fisher appeared on the screen at Wembley.

He was talking in terms of upset with them for the recruitment so far wasn't he?

Gibbo

out of the players we’ve signed where have we strengthened? most signings are for the development squad. Apart from sterling, Ogogo and junior brown most wont feature. If we miss out on Chaplin which is looking more likely by the day then we could end up with scraps for a striker which is going to make or break our season.

The amount of money we’ve made from promotion, Wembley, Maddison and McNulty the transfer window for me has been disappointing so far

Oh for heaven's sake get real. Maddison money going to pay off debt of which we have a shitload. We have three good signings where we were looking weak plus Jones (eventually) & Andreu. The rest of the side are the guys that got us promoted..... We had to sell McNulty - and made good money on 12 months investment. I only hope MR is not too obsessed with only one option as a replacement for Sparky.

A good top 10 finish this season would be just the ticket - bed in the new players and be well set up for when the development players come through. Like others I think Allesani may feature sooner than you think

The Lurker

Not sure why fans are pissed off with SISU, OP. We've signed a shedload of players and McNulty and his agent engineered the move to the mighty Reading. Nothing to do with SISU, the club or Robins.

so your saying that the 1.2 million from reading is a bonus? Not expected? If that’s the case sisu should surely be reinvesting that money into the team as it wasn’t planned?

Nick

Administrator
so your saying that the 1.2 million from reading is a bonus? Not expected? If that’s the case sisu should surely be reinvesting that money into the team as it wasn’t planned?

Which doesn't always mean transfer fees does it?

The Lurker

Oh for heaven's sake get real. Maddison money going to pay off debt of which we have a shitload. We have three good signings where we were looking weak plus Jones (eventually) & Andreu. The rest of the side are the guys that got us promoted..... We had to sell McNulty - and made good money on 12 months investment. I only hope MR is not too obsessed with only one option as a replacement for Sparky.

A good top 10 finish this season would be just the ticket - bed in the new players and be well set up for when the development players come through. Like others I think Allesani may feature sooner than you think

we’re relying on players who have injury issues. Allesani injury prone
Jones Injury prone
Andreu injury prone.

it’s all good and well signing 19 year old with promise. After last season and the buzz round the city. I really thought sisu would go for it and say to robins. Here’s a million pounds go for it. Football is all about momentum. so many teams get back to back promotions. this would be our best chance for promotion if we actually invested some proper money.

better days

True - except for the new formation. That part will go belly up
I guess the new formation may be to make best use of Dujon Sterling
It seems that the players who've been tried in it for the warm up games haven't been capable of playing it
Or maybe some of them don't fancy it
We should all reserve judgement until we see something approximating the first XI starting a game

Nick

Administrator
Jones Injury prone
Andreu injury prone.

it’s all good and well signing 19 year old with promise. After last season and the buzz round the city. I really thought sisu would go for it and say to robins. Here’s a million pounds go for it. Football is all about momentum. so many teams get back to back promotions. this would be our best chance for promotion if we actually invested some proper money.

Are Jones and Andreu injury prone or did they just have a single bad injury?

They are hardly like Keith O'Neill.

better days

Jones Injury prone
Andreu injury prone.

Jones broke into men's football at 16 and has played over 100 games since
He's had one serious injury in that time

clint van damme

Robins has said he has been given the McNulty money, (though none of the Madison cash). Though I'm also told that he told supporters in Spain that he needs to hold some back for any January transfer activity.

The Lurker

Are Jones and Andreu injury prone or did they just have a single bad injury?

They are hardly like Keith O'Neill.

you for real? jones has had plenty of injuries during his time here.

Andreu since 2015 has played a total of 52 games I think. and went of injured Saturday against Stevenage

NorthernWisdom

Robins has said he has been given the McNulty money, (though none of the Madison cash). Though I'm also told that he told supporters in Spain that he needs to hold some back for any January transfer activity.
Hmm if I were him I'd spunk it ASAP.

We know from past times (not just SISU!) that cash promised for transfers often gets swallowed up in the day-to-day.

covcity4life

the formation stuff doesnt bother me. the players know how to do 4-2-3-1 so can always revert back if 3-5-2 doesnt take off

torchomatic

WHo says they won't be? You and who else?

fernandopartridge

After the buzz from last season and the short break, I was hoping the momentum from Wembley would carry forward but due to lack of players coming in despite the Maddison and McNulty money it seems many fans are pissed off with sisu again. If we start slowly I can see the sisu out chants starting again.

Because these fans are desperate for us to fail, they feel comfortable in failure. It makes it easy to justify them not attending.

I want SISU out but the 'SISU out' chanting vanished last season, backing the team reaps benefits.

NorthernWisdom

I want SISU out but the 'SISU out' chanting vanished last season, backing the team reaps benefits.
Can't help but think it's chicken and egg though. I'd say the chanting vanished because the team was winning, it wasn't that the chanting vanished so the team started winning.

Never understood why you can't do both anyway. Nowt wrong with a nice song in support of the team, a SISU Out chant, and another chant all about our new 50 goal a season striker.

Nick

Administrator
you for real? jones has had plenty of injuries during his time here.

Andreu since 2015 has played a total of 52 games I think. and went of injured Saturday against Stevenage

He got a dead leg didn't he?

What injuries has he had, aside from not being able to get a game at Norwich?

What injuries has Jones had other than his ACL? In his first full season (not when he signed in the March or whenever) he played in 34 games.

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

I hope you're right, and if Allassani ends up the new McNulty, Robins is a genius.
I certainly think he’s an option ‘up top’ that hasn’t really been properly considered on here as a direct replacement for mcnulty.
Might mean we need to look at getting a winger in...

Liquid Gold

We do need a striker in to replace McNulty but let's not kid ourselves that we have had a good window. We now have competition for all places in the squad with players that we own and have potential to develop. If we spend all our incoming in this window and blow promotion then next year we will be back to cost cutting in order to stay afloat. I'm much happier that we're running on a more consistent basis and Robins obviously has money to spend.

italiahorse

After the buzz from last season and the short break, I was hoping the momentum from Wembley would carry forward but due to lack of players coming in despite the Maddison and McNulty money it seems many fans are pissed off with sisu again. If we start slowly I can see the sisu out chants starting again.
We seem to always get last pick when everybody else has finished.
Not sure if this is exactly the case but it just seems like it every year.
Need a McNulty replacement pretty quickly so we can start the season running.
Get it right and we could sale straight through this division but need to start winning from day one rather than try and catch up later.
Hopefully Robins knows what he is doing ...... again.

NorthernWisdom

I certainly think he’s an option ‘up top’ that hasn’t really been properly considered on here as a direct replacement for mcnulty.
Might mean we need to look at getting a winger in...
tbh it's more that it's asking a lot for him to come from the level he has, and star immediately. Suspect Robins wasn't anticipating that, either. If it comes off, great, but it's much like asking Ponticelli to whack in 15 goals next season. He might, of course, but we've yet to see any evidence of it happening, so it's a risky unknown. Only the manager and coaching team can make the decision based on training, but I'd be happier if they had someone else to get past too.

That said, might be time for some to step up and, if they're going to make a career, they have to some time.

Users who are viewing this thread