Millwall Match Thread (4 Viewers)

martcov

A win is a win. Against a higher ranking team even better. Let's hope we have gained confidence and - maybe - end the season on a good note. No point knocking anyone at the moment.

steve82

Where's the Phillips haters today?
Arron Phillips was excellent today I thought, more composed and got forward well without any help in front of him from a right midfielder.
RCC..... Produced the goods again.

Ashdown

Where's the Phillips haters today?
Arron Phillips was excellent today I thought, more composed and got forward well without any help in front of him from a right midfielder.
RCC..... Produced the goods again.
Dropping Phillips did actually correspond with our demise, obviously not the only reason but I didn't think he deserved being bombed out like that !

chiefdave

Every team does it nowadays, pointless having the rule

Annoys me, why doesn't the lino check and just say to the player its got to be in the right place. Some refs get so fussy about where you take a free kick of throw from but don't bother with corners.

Otis

Annoys me, why doesn't the lino check and just say to the player its got to be in the right place. Some refs get so fussy about where you take a free kick of throw from but don't bother with corners.
And/or throw ins.

chiefdave

What's the benefit supposed to be anyway? Its not like players struggle to get the ball into the box and need to sneak a bit further forward.

hill83

Every team does it nowadays, pointless having the rule

The ball doesn't need to be touching the line to be classed as in the quadrant. Just to be sure you're sure.

Just seen it, not the best angle but I'd wager it's a legit corner.

Like this, if the line here was the corner quadrant this would be a legitimate corner.

_86309312_nogoal1.jpg

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

What impressed me most today was that all players were up for it. None shirked their duty. Some performances could have been better but I believe all gave their best. Well done city!
I've not been the biggest RCC fan to date but today he looked the part. Phillips has never impressed but today he didn't put a foot wrong and looked comfortable defending and going forward.
Yes they went down to 10 but we stood up even though they remained physical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skybluegod

Often lino's do check, for example the lino in the Liverpool game picked up milner for it a few times. But corner was opposite side today to the lino so not his duty obviously.
With the referee, Its hard to enforce tbh, even if they go and check it, normally by the time the ref has turned around and gone to the edge of the area, to his correct position, the player with have moved it. Having done some refereeing its a stupid rule, and if you spend too much time enforcing things like this, then the game becomes to disjointed.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

James Smith

Just made it home to see the goals and didn't Fleck do well! Tudgay with the winner not looking too bad either. That's made an otherwise rubbish day at work worth it. Hopefully we can capitalise on this and make a late push.

stupot07

The ball doesn't need to be touching the line to be classed as in the quadrant. Just to be sure you're sure.

Just seen it, not the best angle but I'd wager it's a legit corner.

Like this, if the line here was the corner quadrant this would be a legitimate corner.

_86309312_nogoal1.jpg
Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

I was sitting in that corner , and to me and othes round me it was clearly outside by a good foot

not complaining about the goal tho.
Fair enough, but TV angle it looks in. And like you say we still didn't deal with the cross anyway.

af2ec8fd7e9f22fb67ff0d4ce6211bfa.jpg

dongonzalos

Given that we played against 10 men for over an hour we only managed 4 shots on target and 57% possession, and force 4 corners to their 8.

You didn't mention the 18 shots off target and the disallowed goal before the sending off Stu
You like stats but as usual only present half of them.

dongonzalos

What!!! We were a goal down????

Yes but for ten minutes before the sending off we controlled possession had got on top of the game and had a goal disallowed
Prior to that that they were on top
After the sending off the game continued as it was in the 5-10 minutes before the sending off.
(Us with the ball at our feet)

Last edited:

stupot07

You didn't mention the 18 shots off target and the disallowed goal before the sending off Stu
You like stats but as usual only present half of them.

We didn't have 18 shots off target, so if you want to pull me up on a post at least get your facts right.

And the latter part of your post, oh the irony, you're the master at focusing on 1 point/stat/fact and ignoring all others.

Last edited:

theferret

I always find it amusing when people use a 'shots on target' stat to prove a point. As though the number of times you chip the ball into the keepers arms from 30 yards is somehow more indicative how well you have played than the number of times you head it wide from 6 yards.

I thought we played quite well yesterday and deserved the win overall. Don't know why we can't just leave it at that.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I thought we played quite well yesterday and deserved the win overall. Don't know why we can't just leave it at that.

Totally agree, after the past 4 months we've had yesterday provided me with the most satisfaction at the Ricoh probably since that Gillingham win, even more so than the 6-0 v Bury.

You can only beat what's in front of you, so what if it's 10 men, people saying "we only beat 10 men we wouldn't have beat 11" ,have a day off!

stupot07

I always find it amusing when people use a 'shots on target' stat to prove a point. As though the number of times you chip the ball into the keepers arms from 30 yards is somehow more indicative how well you have played than the number of times you head it wide from 6 yards.

Yeah, agree with both points.

Tbf I was only quoting shots on target as a point that given the domination on the ball we didn't test their keeper enough.

I agree, you can only beat whatsbin front of you. The sending off changed the game, and after that we used the ball extremely well and made the pitch as wide as possible and deserved the win.

It was great to see a win, its been a long time coming

I'll resist the urge to respond to any further posts on here ;)

dongonzalos

I can't remember 18 off target shots?

We had 18 shots in total
If you check sky sports
Only 4 on target
I should have said 18 shots in total (not off target)
They controlled the first 20 minutes with their physicality.
The 5-10 minutes building up to the sending off. They couldn't get the ball off us. I was certain we were going to score and we did. (dissallowed)
Then the sending off disrupted things a little before we picked up where we were just prior to the sending off.
Stu just always has a glass half empty outlook on city

Last edited:

Otis

Well yep, we can. You do have to look at the big picture though. The Bury game very much being a case in point. Many of us were saying it was a great performance, but the reality was that when you analysed it and reflected upon it, it was as much down to Bury being awful as it was us being good.

It was a false picture, because after beating them 6-0 we then went on to score just 4 goals in 10 games.

We have to accept that Millwall only had 10 men. Had it been 11 it may well have been a completely different scoreline. We can only beat what is in front of us though can't we and a win is a win. Just can't get carried away and it will be a very, very tough game at home to Bradford on Tuesday night.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I don't expect us to get anything Tuesday but I expected the same yesterday.

Bradford will be a similar test but probably more physical and direct than Millwall, lots of balls into the box from outwide & big dangers from set pieces which we can't seem to defend well at all.

My Shrewsbury season ticket holder mate said Bradford in the first 65 mins yesterday were the best side he's seen this season.

Hope we can weather the storm in a tough tough game and play with no fear.

Users who are viewing this thread