Match Thread Millwall FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 25th Nov (4 Viewers)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

We have three strikers non of whom have had a successful season so far. Together with the attacking midfield position it is the obvious area to strengthen. We're strong in central midfield and have loads of defenders and wing backs so up front has to be where we strengthen. We need an experienced striker to give time for Simms and Wright to develop and adjust to the level required.
Haji has spent the equivalent of 9 games on the field and has scored 4 goal not a bad return for a player trying to settle in a new team in a new country.I've found Simms game disappointing in that he doesn't seem to play to his strengths ie gets out muscled and appears slower than what I thought.Like I said previously who will sell a good striker in the window no one unless you pay over the odds.Please give tham time.

BlueSkiesForever

So we've spent £10m on strikers who should only be expected to score easy chances and tap-ins?

No of course not, and I don’t disagree that Wright and Simms have so far been poorer than expected, but we’re simply not creating enough clinical chances for them to score. It’s almost like they’re carrying the weight of expectation for the whole team but the balls we’re giving them are just not “normal” chances that a striker would want to have. It’s not that we should only be providing tap-ins for our strikers but realistically how many “tap-in type” scenarios have we actually provided for them? It’s very few from my memory.

They’ve basically been expected to come here, hit the ground running and create wonder goals out of shit corners from Eccles or poor crosses from Dasilva or weird bobbly headed balls back into the box. I completely get the negative point of view that a lot of people have against Wright/Simms but I think if we want to do well it’s more than that, the whole team has to perform better, nothing seems natural or clinical or intelligent atm, it’s all last ditch attempts and blocks, it’s basically scrappy most games and so I just think it’s a bit harsh to blame everything on Wright/Simms.

BlueSkiesForever

Godden was top of that table posted on here for big chances missed in the Championship.
Yeah fair, but I don’t see many people going after Godden in the same way they’ve gone after Simms/Wright. I realise Godden is not a record signing but he’s not been scoring recently either, my point being if even Mr. Clinical himself isn’t scoring then it can’t just be down to the strikers.

BlueSkiesForever

Of course no one wants them to fail. Do you want Eccles and Sheaf to fail? I would be delighted if Simms scored a hat trick on Saturday.

I’m not saying you want them to fail, or anyone else in particular does, but it just feels like that from the numerous comments about Simms/Wright being poor and the lack of comments about Godden being poor, it feels like as a general consensus people have it in for Simms/Wright for whatever reason. I get they’re big signings but my point was (as I just replied to Sick Boy) that if Godden is also underperforming when he’s usually quite clinical then it might suggest there’s something more going on than just the strikers being poor.

When I watch us play I do see an underperforming Simms and Wright but I also see a team that aren’t creating solid chances for them, and more and more pressure gets lumped on the strikers when I personally believe our midfield aren’t quite up to the job. I’m not sure what it is exactly, that’s for Robins to work out, but something in that midfield just doesn’t quite flow properly, I get that it comes across wishy-washy but that’s just my personal “feeling” about it.

Hertsccfc

Haji has spent the equivalent of 9 games on the field and has scored 4 goal not a bad return for a player trying to settle in a new team in a new country.I've found Simms game disappointing in that he doesn't seem to play to his strengths ie gets out muscled and appears slower than what I thought.Like I said previously who will sell a good striker in the window no one unless you pay over the odds.Please give tham time.
I think Wright has been ok. Simms is the concern but if course I agree we need to give them time. That means we need reinforcements in the meantime. It's unfair to keep playing them when they need time, especially Simms.

fernandopartridge

Wright and Simms (and Godden) have had sufficient service that all of them should have scored more goals than they have.

It is disappointing that they haven't put chances away, but it's positive at least that the chances are being made and they are getting on the end of them. Their respective goal records prior to signing here (Simms and Wright) and whilst here (Godden) say that they can finish, so just give them some time.

We're now switching systems so it's almost a reset for them anyway.

shmmeee

‘Haven’t replaced our creative drive’ yet the xG table shows we should be 6th and we’re among the league’s worst offenders for wasting chances?

Honestly think the issue is at the back. Lost two very good CBs and been without our two DMs most of the season and Fadz and Wilson have dropped their performances from the highs of last season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Honestly think the issue is at the back. Lost two very good CBs and been without our two DMs most of the season and Fadz and Wilson have dropped their performances from the highs of last season.
The issues remain across the whole team really. Defence conceding poor goals, midfield too lacking in dynamism and the forwards wasting good chances.

Given how ruthless Millwall were before the break if we can keep a clean sheet against them I’ll be surprised and impressed.

Alkhen

That comment makes no sense
No they don't. Stats don't tell the full story. Our play has been disjointed at best this season. Chances have come and been missed but it is undeniable there is a huge Hamer shaped hole in the center of our team. Sheaf and Eccles cant preform that role of springing defence to attack like Gus did. we don't have anyone who can be that pivot. its mental we didn't go for someone even if Gus stayed as its so crucial.

Some people have made their minds up already on the strikers. shame as I can see Simms getting on the front foot and the pass not coming. Someone said Simms only scored at Sunderland because he had Amad behind him... just fucking answered your own question there didn't you genius

Alkhen

Simms was playing alongside Amad Diallo at Sunderland!
BINGO he had some decent service and did his job. Shocker!

Frustrated Cbs GIF by Paramount+

Grendel

No they don't. Stats don't tell the full story. Our play has been disjointed at best this season. Chances have come and been missed but it is undeniable there is a huge Hamer shaped hole in the center of our team. Sheaf and Eccles cant preform that role of springing defence to attack like Gus did. we don't have anyone who can be that pivot. its mental we didn't go for someone even if Gus stayed as its so crucial.

Some people have made their minds up already on the strikers. shame as I can see Simms getting on the front foot and the pass not coming. Someone said Simms only scored at Sunderland because he had Amad behind him... just fucking answered your own question there didn't you genius

You don’t seem to understand how XG stats work.

Alkhen

You don’t seem to understand how XG stats work.
I dont pretend that Wright in particular hasnt missed some sitters but that is not the point. Apart from that abomination against WBA they have all been snatched chances. shit happens

Still does not paper over the obvious fact we have nobody to thread balls in behind for either new strikers to feed off.

Grendel

I dont pretend that Wright in particular hasnt missed some sitters but that is not the point. Apart from that abomination against WBA they have all been snatched chances. shit happens

Still does not paper over the obvious fact we have nobody to thread balls in behind for either new strikers to feed off.

We’ve had the biggest amount of missed easy chances in the league across the 3 strikers so we are creating loads

Alkhen

We’ve had the biggest amount of missed easy chances in the league across the 3 strikers so we are creating loads
Either way you cut it then we'll be golden in Jan with some midfield recruits adding even more chances to are already blistering play :rolleyes:. Quit moaning it is exhausting

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No of course not, and I don’t disagree that Wright and Simms have so far been poorer than expected, but we’re simply not creating enough clinical chances for them to score. It’s almost like they’re carrying the weight of expectation for the whole team but the balls we’re giving them are just not “normal” chances that a striker would want to have. It’s not that we should only be providing tap-ins for our strikers but realistically how many “tap-in type” scenarios have we actually provided for them? It’s very few from my memory.

They’ve basically been expected to come here, hit the ground running and create wonder goals out of shit corners from Eccles or poor crosses from Dasilva or weird bobbly headed balls back into the box. I completely get the negative point of view that a lot of people have against Wright/Simms but I think if we want to do well it’s more than that, the whole team has to perform better, nothing seems natural or clinical or intelligent atm, it’s all last ditch attempts and blocks, it’s basically scrappy most games and so I just think it’s a bit harsh to blame everything on Wright/Simms.
That's where I disagree. Yes, some of the chances have been difficult and we'd clearly be better with someone of Hamer's ability in the middle, but I can think of two or three for ALL THREE strikers that should, for a striker at this level, been put away. I don' think we've created less 'good' chances than last season for example. Quite a few Gyokeres had to make those chances himself.

I have no idea if there's a stat on how many chances each player has had with an xG of over, say, 0.4 but splitting each individual chance up into percentiles would be interesting.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's where I disagree. Yes, some of the chances have been difficult and we'd clearly be better with someone of Hamer's ability in the middle, but I can think of two or three for ALL THREE strikers that should, for a striker at this level, been put away. I don' think we've created less 'good' chances than last season for example. Quite a few Gyokeres had to make those chances himself.

I have no idea if there's a stat on how many chances each player has had with an xG of over, say, 0.4 but splitting each individual chance up into percentiles would be interesting.
Off the top of my head, ignoring Godden’s penalty:

Godden free header, Stoke
Wright 1 on 1, WBA
Wright tap in, Huddersfield
Simms 1 on 1, Lesta
Bristol City, about 3 chances
Godden and Wright at Hull

Sure there’s more

Hertsccfc

BINGO he had some decent service and did his job. Shocker!

Frustrated Cbs GIF by Paramount+
You said they Sunderland were an average team and I mentioned he was playing alongside Diallo. You don't get many players of his ability at this level and it's highly unlikely that we can find one.

I was as big a fan of Hamer as anyone on here. For that reason I understand that it's not easy to just go out and replace him. But our central midfielders have played better than our forwards and AMs so I think it's better to start looking for reinforcements further forward.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

Stats don't tell the full story if they don't support your view eh?

StrettoBoy

I think the Millwall game will be a low scoring draw, either 0-0 or 1-1, which of course means it could be decided either way by a single goal. Hope it's us who comes out on top.

I haven't given up hope on Simms or Wright. Let's see who we can get in to strengthen the midfield in January and review the situation in the summer.

CV22SBA

Off the top of my head, ignoring Godden’s penalty:

Godden free header, Stoke
Wright 1 on 1, WBA
Wright tap in, Huddersfield
Simms 1 on 1, Lesta
Bristol City, about 3 chances
Godden and Wright at Hull

Sure there’s more
My favourite was when Wright had a shot on goal at Wimbledon and the ball literally when outside the stadium. Not once but twice.

CV22SBA

Less than 1000 tickets left for Millwall fans. Ground should be pretty full.
Blimey it should be a good atmosphere then. Why have they suddenly started following there team, I’ve been about 6 times and it’s always been half empty.

Users who are viewing this thread