Meeting with Joy Seppala & Dave Boddy - Thursday 27th February 2020 (2 Viewers)

mark82

Has anybody contracted sports journalists. Places like the Athletic and Mundial that really like to look into fan culture and not just the game itself? They might be interested in how a bunch of weirdos on a forum have managed to do more than all the local media combined?

Let me know if not and I will start looking at places to send things to tomorrow.

Not had chance to even think of anything like that yet. If you have any contacts feel free to reach out (or drop me a PM with details).

Last edited:

clint van damme

Quick one guys, might be said but I’ve not read the full thread. When talking about a 4 sided stadium was there any talk of the building design being anything like how Highfield road was? Such as having a west terrace type area etc?

I’d fucking love a modern day Highfield rd!!

why, when they've made no progress on actually building a ground have they ripped up the initial bowl design and changed it to a 4 sided stadium?
It sounds like absolute bollocks to me. I really wish they wouldn't mention the stadium, it just detracts from other issues, (I appreciate Pete and Mark probably asked them the question).

shepardo01

Not had chance to even think of anything like that yet. If you have any contacts feel free to reach out (or drop me a PM with details).
Said on a previous post, Rob Dorsett at Sky. He's on twitter. He did the interview with sepalla and covered the McCallum story too.

Skybluefaz

I genuinely think there’s a story there look at Peterborough and you could add Swansea and Watford and Brighton too. Are we so flush with cash that we can pass up upwards of £10m economic impact for the sake of some bruised egos?
Perhaps you could get a quote from the owner of Dhillons brewery or see if he would be able to come along. An actual local business owner directly affected by the club being out of the city losing out on the money that would bring might have a few words for Duggins

NorthernWisdom

why, when they've made no progress on actually building a ground have they ripped up the initial bowl design and changed it to a 4 sided stadium?
It sounds like absolute bollocks to me. I really wish they wouldn't mention the stadium, it just detracts from other issues, (I appreciate Pete and Mark probably asked them the question).
It's also the biggest piece of evidence about not believing them in anything else atm.

Brighton had to go through numerous appeals, but at least you saw something happening! As soon as the foundation stone's laid I'm right behind them, but in terms of credibility they have zero on this issue.

Sky Blue Pete

I think they do. Its sisu they hate. I imagine if there was a change of ownership then the councils tune would change.
I think that’s true and possibly not Sisu but joy seppalla. I am trying to understand why other councils work with major institutions as they recognise the economic impact

mark82

I think, firstly, a change of personnel with different ideas. Secondly, and it seems to make sense, a 4 sided design is easier to expand later on if/when they want to increase capacity, by going upwards or filling in the corners.

All I can say is that they seemed genuine in the reasons they want to build a stadium. The skepticism is healthy and understandable with what's happened in the past.

mark82

Perhaps you could get a quote from the owner of Dhillons brewery or see if he would be able to come along. An actual local business owner directly affected by the club being out of the city losing out on the money that would bring might have a few words for Duggins

It's a good idea.

shmmeee

Absolutely and you’ll notice we did start that conversation. If there’s no progress we can ask again. How long should we wait before asking on progress my friend?

Well clearly six and a half years isn’t long enough. How long were you thinking? A nice round decade perhaps?

shmmeee

It's a good idea.

Right. Meet Sisu “be nice, keep it secret, I sure do love this stadium design Joy. Yes that legal action is your right Joy”. Meet the other parties “get questions from the forum, invite the media, bring along witnesses”. But both sides right guys? No fear or favour?

theferret

It's also the biggest piece of evidence about not believing them in anything else atm.

Brighton had to go through numerous appeals, but at least you saw something happening! As soon as the foundation stone's laid I'm right behind them, but in terms of credibility they have zero on this issue.

Look at it the other way round though. Put aside the history on this issue and also the scepticism and assume for one minute that they are serious this time. Why then, right now, would they be making announcements, submitting planning applications, when it is quite clear that we would first need to return to the Ricoh for a period of time? That would only weaken their position. "What's the point letting them back, they're going in a few years anyway...".

I would be amazed if they started doing that right now, you would surely keep those cards very close to your chest until the point that you have secured the 5 year deal. That's assuming they're serious, we all have a view on that and I'm playing devil's advocate, but if they are then no way would I expect them to lay out the plans in detail at this time. Keeping a lid on it right now is entirely sensible and it is pointless pushing for answers.

NorthernWisdom

Look at it the other way round though. Put aside the history on this issue and also the scepticism and assume for one minute that they are serious this time. Why then, right now, would they be making announcements, submitting planning applications, when it is quite clear that we would first need to return to the Ricoh for a period of time? That would only weaken their position. "What's the point letting them back, they're going in a few years anyway...".

I would be amazed if they started doing that right now, you would surely keep those cards very close to your chest until the point that you have secured the 5 year deal. That's assuming they're serious, we all have a view on that and I'm playing devil's advocate, but if they are then no way would I expect them to lay out the plans in detail at this time. Keeping a lid on it right now is entirely sensible and it is pointless pushing for answers.
They've already said they're going in a few years, anyway.

As they did before.

And before that.

shmmeee

As they did before.

And before that.

Sorry NW the mob has spoken! We’re getting a new stadium and it’ll be old fashioned with standing and a pub for every fan and us lazy slobs will get cushy jobs. And the only reason it looks like it’s not been happening for six and a half years is Joy is a tactical genius outsmarting the evil council. And we must never question that, or at least not now because reasons it’s different this time.

shmmeee

Could they build a stadium on the border so covered by Nuneaton Council or Rugby Council?

Land isn’t free in Nuneaton or Rugby. The sticking point is the price of land according to Sisu. And Sisu refuse to use an intermediary because reasons.

Happy_Martian

If the Telegraph or CWR had anything about them it would be the leading story tomorrow morning. We all know the reality is it most likely won't even get a mention.

Well, this has got into the CT. But a pathetic copy/paste job of the feedback by Mark and Pete.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-ricoh-arena-sisu-17854243

Wonder if @mark82 or @Sky Blue Pete gave them permission to rip their comments and use them for monetary gain ? This was a clickbait ad I saw on FB.

theferret

As they did before.

And before that.

So what, so they've cried wolf. The point is, nobody believes it, they probably realise that. Working on the slim chance that they intend to follow through this time, identifying a site and submitting a detailed planning application at this time possibly wouldn't be helpful in the Ricoh negotiations.

My point in this. There are two possibilities. One it is a complete bluff. Two, it is serious. Either way, we're not going to get any details at this time, either because there aren't any, or because it is not the right time to go public. So why do people endlessly question them on it and call for answers? We're not going to get any, so we should just forget about it. Return to the Ricoh on a time-limited deal and then we should demand answers, but until then there is no point.

clint van damme

Sorry NW the mob has spoken! We’re getting a new stadium and it’ll be old fashioned with standing and a pub for every fan and us lazy slobs will get cushy jobs. And the only reason it looks like it’s not been happening for six and a half years is Joy is a tactical genius outsmarting the evil council. And we must never question that, or at least not now because reasons it’s different this time.

the council are evil! And Duggins comments are a disgrace, another one who's let his hatred of sisu morph into a hatred of CCFC.
His love of wasps shows him up for not just being an absolute wanker, but a hypocritical wanker.

NorthernWisdom

You see I wouldn't go that far. I'm happy to discuss a new stadium, I'd love a new one, and I'd be happy to press them towards one.

In the timescales they're talking, however, we could already have one, and not need to be having these conversations full stop!

I'd see a new stadium as our next owner's priority, and this lot just make it look farcical!

That being said (again), lay the foundation stone and I'm there.

Skybluefaz

Right. Meet Sisu “be nice, keep it secret, I sure do love this stadium design Joy. Yes that legal action is your right Joy”. Meet the other parties “get questions from the forum, invite the media, bring along witnesses”. But both sides right guys? No fear or favour?
Here we go, we get that sisu weren't scrutinised to your standard, I don't disagree with some of what you say. Doesn't mean that the council and Wasps get off the hook though does it?

eastwoodsdustman

Seriously mate. I’d give it a rest for a bit. You started off questioning which is great but You’re looking more and more desperate with every post now.

clint van damme

So what, so they've cried wolf. The point is, nobody believes it, they probably realise that. Working on the slim chance that they intend to follow through this time, identifying a site and submitting a detailed planning application at this time possibly wouldn't be helpful in the Ricoh negotiations.

My point in this. There are two possibilities. One it is a complete bluff. Two, it is serious. Either way, we're not going to get any details at this time, either because there aren't any, or because it is not the right time to go public. So why do people endlessly question them on it and call for answers? We're not going to get any, so we should just forget about it. Return to the Ricoh on a time-limited deal and then we should demand answers, but until then there is no point.

but why not just not mention it.
They've probably got more goodwill (not sure if that's the right expression), than at any time for a long time.
The whole EC complaint issue has started people looking at the role of others in this whole mess. People who never went to Sixfields are going to St. Andrews because they feel this situation isn't entirely down to the owners, why try and milk that further with even more new ground bollocks.
Just leave it for now, concentrate on supporting the Manager (which in fairness they appear to be doing), and getting back to Cov. If something concrete happen regarding a new ground then shout it from the rooftops but until then.

theferret

Because they insist on endlessly repeating this charade.

But only when they are asked the question really.

I'm like you, I'll believe it when I see it, and would very much welcome it tbh. I get a sense, just a sense, that they are perhaps seriously exploring the option this time. MR does not strike me as someone who suffer's fools or who is willing to be a stooge. He seems fairly convinced by what he has been told privately. I just sense there is a little more meat on the bones this time. Time will tell though.

torchomatic

My biggest question is how is the new stadium going to be funded and who will own it ? Sisu or Coventry city football club..

Not this again! SISU would own it, but they would have something to sell to a prospective buyer. Look at how many grounds are actually owned by football clubs nowadays.

NorthernWisdom

But only when they are asked the question really.

I'm like you, I'll believe when I see it, and would very much welcome it tbh. I get a sense, just a sense, that they are perhaps seriously exploring the option this time. MR does not strike me as someone who suffer's fools or who is willing to be a stooge. He seems fairly convinced by what he has been told privately. I just sense there is a little more meat on the bones this time. Time will tell though.
I suspect however that Joy Seppala is successful in her chosen line of work because she's a great saleswoman.

Pressley also was convinced, and I don't think it reflects poorly on either of them that they were / are tbh.

But our current evidence is not to believe a word!

Which then means, why believe anything?

They're their own worst enemies in terms of gaining credibility.

covboy1987

Stadium Plans – Short & Long Term

Dave & Joy both seemed hopeful that a deal could be reached with Wasps for us to play at the Ricoh Arena next year, whether promoted or not. Bringing the club back to Coventry remains a priority, and he believes it is also important to Wasps to have the added revenue from CCFC being there.

We questioned whether the quality of the pitch at the Ricoh Arena would form part of those negotiations, as it was acknowledged by all parties that the improved playing surface at St. Andrew’s had contributed to the quality of football on offer this year. Dave confirmed that the pitch would form part of the negotiations and would be high up the priority list.

Owning our stadium, and associated revenue streams, remains the longer-term goal. For this reason, the aim is to look to agree a sustainable deal to allow us to play at the Ricoh Arena for 5 years whilst work is ongoing. If a deal cannot be reached with Wasps to play at the Ricoh Arena, then we do have agreement from the EFL to remain at Birmingham for a further 2 seasons beyond this season. Naturally they would like to start selling season tickets from March, but they cannot do this until we know where we will be playing.

As previously communicated, the search for stadium sites is ongoing and has been narrowed down to a shortlist of 6 sites. A further site has also recently been identified. Although all sites are suitable for a stadium, the new site is considered the ideal location. As the exact location of the sites is commercially sensitive, they couldn’t tell us where the sites were, however, it was confirmed that all sites on the shortlist have been approved by the EFL for their proximity to St Mary’s Guildhall in Coventry, which is a marker point for the EFL.

Joy confirmed she can see the potential in the fan base for bigger crowds. Both Joy & Dave thought that crowds would have been in the region of 15 – 18k for some of the bigger games this season (such as Rotherham & Sunderland) at the Ricoh Arena. For this reason, when looking at sites and designs for Stadiums they have this figure in mind as a minimum. The potential new stadium would possibly be a 4-sided design rather than a bowl (similar to the design of Shrewsbury’s new stadium) as this allowed greater scope for future expansion. Current thinking is that new stadium would be 18-20k, expandable to somewhere in the region of 30k.

Development of Relationship with Fans

Dave advised that regular supporters forum meetings were still held which included representatives from 15 different supporters’ groups including the London supporters’ group, Leamington & Warwick Supporters group and the Sky Blues Trust, amongst others. Dave advised there is a place for Sky Blues Talk on that forum and has invited Pete to take that place. The supporters’ forum has met twice this season, and another meeting is due soon. The group is chaired by Colin Henderson of the London supporters’ group. Dave advised he’d written to local media outlet’s requesting they use Colin as the point of contact as a fans voice, but they so far haven’t done so.

We spoke briefly about their relationship with the Sky Blues Trust. Dave advised they don’t give them any preferential treatment over any other fan group, as they consider them one of many and confirmed they are part of the supporters’ forum. They consider the trust as quite militant in their approach, and this was evident at a recent supporters’ forum meeting where they seemed to be pulling in the opposite direction to all other groups. They don’t consider the trust as representative of the whole of the fan base, and question the number of ‘active’ members they have. They do see there are some members of the Trust board who do want to do the right thing, and if there was a change in leadership and direction at the Trust they could play a key part at what is a really important time for CCFC, giving the fans a voice, raising the profile of the club and helping get the club back to Coventry.

CCFC Season Ticket Fund

Mark gave figures to Joy and Dave of the amount of money raised last season for the CCFC Season Ticket Fund Charity arranged by Simon Miller (@Mild-Mannered Janitor), which had helped buy over 150 season tickets for fans who were unable to do so, either through individual nominations or via local charities. Joy & Dave were taken back by the amount raised and the generosity of fans.

Mark thanked Dave & Joy (and all at the club) for their help and support with this last year, including matching tickets bought by the fund one-for-one with tickets purchased by the club which contributed greatly to the success.

Mark confirmed that plans are in place for the same fundraising to be run this year with some funds held over from last year to contribute to this. The club again agreed they will match tickets purchased through the fund on a one-for-one basis. On top of this Dave offered to put us in touch with David Busst and Sky Blues in the Community, as they may be able to assist with identifying worthy causes.

Dave also asked Mark to send over figures & details to him and Mark Hornby who will look to compile a story on last year’s efforts to put on the club’s official website.

Joy commented she’s proud the to be associated with such a wonderful cause, it’s football at its best within the community – seeking to support others who need it. Joy & Dave advised they have received comments and letters from recipients on how important it has been for them – it really does make a difference to people.
Well done guys - first steps in bringing the fans and owners togther very importent

shmmeee

the council are evil! And Duggins comments are a disgrace, another one who's let his hatred of sisu morph into a hatred of CCFC.
His love of wasps shows him up for not just being an absolute wanker, but a hypocritical wanker.

Right. Every single elected representative of the council, of all parties, are evil. And this is not at all letting hatred cloud your judgement.

Duggins is a twat. So is Joy. What’s your point?

Users who are viewing this thread