Meeting with Joy Seppala & Dave Boddy - Thursday 27th February 2020 (7 Viewers)

Brylowes

Fair play Pete and Mark!

Interesting that Wasps seemed to underestimate you Pete.

Also interesting that people in the media had tried to claim the club didn't want the indemnity talked about to try and get people to stop mentioning it.

Have probably disagreed with you both about a lot of things but I don't think anybody can disagree with the points you have made and things you have done.

giphy.gif
And Fair Play to you as well for that Reply.

chiefdave

Is there any reason why Peterborough council are able to help their club more than you are our city’s club?
Just to mention this support from Peterborough council comes after a rent dispute between the council and the club which saw the council back down and reduce the clubs rent as well as agree to seven figures worth of ground improvements.

Sky Blue Pete

Just to mention this support from Peterborough council comes after a rent dispute between the council and the club which saw the council back down and reduce the clubs rent as well as agree to seven figures worth of ground improvements.
£7m surely ours would be double!!

Nick

Administrator
Andy turner should definitely do a story on this. We’ve just voted through cuts and an increase in council tax and we aren’t bothered about £14m to the local community!!! It’s insane
Duggins was more bothered about an aldi closing though.

GaryJones

Following the statement issued on behalf of this forum in January by Pete Griffiths (@Sky Blue Pete), myself and Pete met with both Joy Seppala and Dave Boddy on Thursday 27th February.

We started by sharing some background information on why forum members collectively felt the need to issue the statement, such as the perception that the local press and the Sky Blues Trust did not seem to share the same viewpoint as the forum (and, indeed, much of the wider fan base) with regards to the reason for the reason the club are playing home games in Birmingham. Pete explained some of the actions already taken, both before and after the issue of the statement, such as appearances on local radio shows and meeting with other involved parties. Both Joy and Dave seemed to be aware of much of this already and commented that they had been following with interest.

We followed this up with some general discussion about the club and football in general. It was clear from the conversation that Joy does follow our games and has a genuine interest in the club. She talked passionately about players and staff, both past and present, and shared her belief that the club should be in the Premier League. She can see clearly that the club is a big part of the community, and that Mark Robins and the players put a lot of time and effort into community work and events. Year on year more work is put into the community side of the club, to a greater extent than many clubs do in the modern era, and this is something the club are committed to continuing even as we progress up the leagues.

We then moved onto a list of discussion points that myself & Pete had agreed on prior to the meeting.

Current Performance of the CCFC group – both on & off the pitch.

Like most fans, both Joy & Dave are very happy with the performances on the pitch in league one this year. Neither were surprised that the club were doing so well on the pitch this year as they have total belief in Mark Robins, the players and the recruitment team (Chris Badlan & Stuart Benthom). They feel that recruitment has been excellent since Mark Robins reappointment in 2017.

Joy & Dave both feel the team would be competitive in the Championship next year if we are promoted. They are under no illusions that it would be difficult, but we’ve competed well with Birmingham twice this year as well as Rotherham on Tuesday. Success would naturally be relative to the improved level and avoiding relegation would be considered a successful season. They commented on the teams who went up last year and how difficult it has been for them. Because we cannot compete financially with a lot of the teams in the Championship at the current time, we have to compete by being smart with recruitment, using the academy to bring young players through and maximise opportunities on player sales. Work has been put in by the recruitment department on all scenarios for next season, including being promoted to the Championship, with recruitment lists ready to go with signings within the budget irrespective of whether we are in Birmingham or Coventry (although everyone at the club & Sisu wants to be playing in Coventry).

Up to March last year CCFC were self-sufficient. Due to the better than expected crowds at St. Andrews we are doing slightly better than projected, although would still have had a deficit. With the money from the sale of Sam McCallum we should be ok, but Sisu are supportive and have agreed to underwrite any losses if necessary. If we are promoted to the Championship, CCFC would be well within the regulations within the Championship for losses allowed over a 3-year period. All financial decisions taken have been with the long-term best interests of the club at heart.

Regarding McCallum, Dave said the club would have liked to hold onto him a little longer, but pressure from the player’s agent made it very difficult to keep him on a permanent basis. After discussions with Mark Robins and looking at what they thought Sam’s potential value would be if he remained at the club and we were promoted to the Championship, the decision was taken that the move to Norwich offered good value.

We also spoke briefly about how well the James Maddison transfer has worked out for the club in the long run. Money is still coming in for James, and they have recently invoiced Norwich for some money that has become due. This is all part of the financial model for CCFC to compete, grow & succeed. Eventually we want to become the club that is receiving the big fee for our players directly.

Relationship with Wasps RFC

During their opening remarks, Joy and Dave said that they were unable to discuss any matters with regard to the possibility of a stadium deal to return to the Ricoh Arena, due to the fact that Coventry City Football Club, SISU and all Wasps Holdings companies have signed an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) prior to the discussions that commenced in April of last year. All parties are still bound by that agreement.

When asked about how long the EU complaint would take, Joy confirmed that it normally takes around 12 months for the EU to decide whether to take the case forward to review. 12 months has now passed since the complaint was filed in February 2019, however, nothing can yet be read into there not being a decision communicated at the end of the 12-month period as this is just a rough guide. Joy felt that if the case moved to review it wouldn’t necessarily be a long process if the case did move to full review. Joy also confirmed that it wasn’t possible to withdraw the complaint, as if the EU decide there is possible state aid, they would still have an obligation to pursue this. There’s no indication yet as to what effect the UK’s withdrawal from the EU will have on this case and whether it will have an impact on the EU’s decision to pursue.

Pete explained how he had been told by individuals in the media that the club were unhappy about his public questions regarding the current challenges (including the indemnity). The club have confirmed that this is categorically not the case, and that to the contrary they thought it had been useful. They acknowledged that the statement issued by Sky Blues Talk had been balanced and sought to hold all parties to account.

Pete also advised he had spoken to Nick Eastwood at Wasps, who didn’t think Joy would entertain talks with fans (by our presence this is clearly not the case). Pete had agreed with Nick that if Joy was willing to meet with him and Derek Richardson then they would also be willing to talk, and their door was always open. Dave confirmed they continue to have active dialogue with Wasps. Joy advised that throughout past talks it had been difficult to get to speak to Derek Richardson, who is the decision maker at Wasps, and that in the past he hadn’t been present at meetings as expected. Joy and Dave were both happy for Pete to go back to Nick Eastwood to see if talks can be arranged with Derek directly.

Can I ask - where did this meeting take place?
Wetherspoons? Joys lounge? Boddys shed at the bottom of his garden?
I’m just trying to visualise.

chiefdave

£7m surely ours would be double!!
Their average attendance is 7K. I would suggest if we'd been at the Ricoh this season ours would be significantly higher and therefore worth more. And from looking at previous seasons if we're in the Championship next season we could regularly expect over 20K with some significant away followings and the benefit to the city that brings.

Is 'nothing we can do' the councils standard response to any business who wants to locate to Coventry that would be worth well over £10m a year to the local economy?

Sky Blue Pete

Andy turner should definitely do a story on this. We’ve just voted through cuts and an increase in council tax and we aren’t bothered about £14m to the local community!!! It’s insane
Added

Dear George

Also I understand that the council has backed down in a rent dispute to support the club.

Given the cuts in service and increase in council tax how on earth are the council able to turn down the £10m plus that having ccfc playing in Coventry would bring to the local economy?

Thanks so much

Pete

Sky Blue Pete

Added

Dear George

Also I understand that the council has backed down in a rent dispute to support the club.

Given the cuts in service and increase in council tax how on earth are the council able to turn down the £10m plus that having ccfc playing in Coventry would bring to the local economy?

Thanks so much

Pete
And now forwarded to Andy turner to consider a story. It stinks

Monners

Great work lads.

I know Colin Henderson from the London supporters club. He is a very decent guy with the clubs interests at heart. Happy to pass on contact details is of wish to have a chat ( Pete and Mark).

Sky Blue Pete

Great work lads.

I know Colin Henderson from the London supporters club. He is a very decent guy with the clubs interests at heart. Happy to pass on contact details is of wish to have a chat ( Pete and Mark).
Course. Hope to meet him at supporters forum end of March too

mark82

Can I ask - where did this meeting take place?
Wetherspoons? Joys lounge? Boddys shed at the bottom of his garden?
I’m just trying to visualise.

I see your avatar, then re-read the question and wonder if I should be concerned? I see Pete's answered a bit later on so I won't double answer. I just want to say that Pete will definitely be able to outrun me but he'd be worth the extra effort.

mark82

Great work lads.

We've been given them already, but thanks for the offer.

RegTheDonk

Well done to both of you. Must have been awkward biting your lips since that meeting, but am glad you didn't let anything slip and were able to put a good report to the rest of us.

Am pleased that the efforts of the press release and media appearances have resulted in Dave and Joy taking us seriously. Obviously, they realise this is a fairly balanced view from the fans who can see beyond the murkey waters of the PR machines and supposed unbiast journalism.

Good to hear they are welcoming of SBTalk as part of a fans forum. But that being said, they should know we won't play any favours. We support CCFC - not SISU, not Wasps, not the council. While not being so "militnat" as they report the Trust being, they should know that we won't go along with any nonsense...

The talk of a new stadium is currently just talk and unless there is evidence they are actually pursing this, we should hold them to count. I know that you both won't have rolled over on this one, as it's the main reason why all the involved fan groups and businesses' are in conflict. Rome/the Ricoh wasn't built in a day, so we should be as patient as is reasonable. We appreciate however that the Ricoh, weather rented under favorable terms or with a more stable partnership with its owners*, is a more realistic scenario. To this end, we should engage with all relevant parties, and encourage them to do the same.

* Wasps are running a business at the end of the day. They say now they don't have a partnership in mind, but they were hinting of that before the latest shitstorm. Better sharing a burden as half of something is better than all of nothing.

I am happy for you to put it to the vote nick if people are happy for me to do so then I will willingly go
Glad you are able you've got my support. If possible, I'd also suggest two of you attend (Mark or someone else) as it's easier for one to miss something, but two taking notes you're more likely to get an accurate summary for here.

mark82

Well done to both of you. Must have been awkward biting your lips since that meeting, but am glad you didn't let anything slip and were able to put a good report to the rest of us.

Am pleased that the efforts of the press release and media appearances have resulted in Dave and Joy taking us seriously. Obviously, they realise this is a fairly balanced view from the fans who can see beyond the murkey waters of the PR machines and supposed unbiast journalism.

Good to hear they are welcoming of SBTalk as part of a fans forum. But that being said, they should know we won't play any favours. We support CCFC - not SISU, not Wasps, not the council. While not being so "militnat" as they report the Trust being, they should know that we won't go along with any nonsense...

The talk of a new stadium is currently just talk and unless there is evidence they are actually pursing this, we should hold them to count. I know that you both won't have rolled over on this one, as it's the main reason why all the involved fan groups and businesses' are in conflict. Rome/the Ricoh wasn't built in a day, so we should be as patient as is reasonable. We appreciate however that the Ricoh, weather rented under favorable terms or with a more stable partnership with its owners*, is a more realistic scenario. To this end, we should engage with all relevant parties, and encourage them to do the same.

* Wasps are running a business at the end of the day. They say now they don't have a partnership in mind, but they were hinting of that before the latest shitstorm. Better sharing a burden as half of something is better than all of nothing.

Glad you are able you've got my support. If possible, I'd also suggest two of you attend (Mark or someone else) as it's easier for one to miss something, but two taking notes you're more likely to get an accurate summary for here.

I'd be happy to also attend if they'd allow it. We shall see. If it's one of us then Pete is definitely best placed to be the guy.

Sky Blue Pete

So to paraphrase
Cllr duggjns says they helped out with the Ricoh and sorry if it offends but Sisu have caused this mess and we aren’t gonna help them get out of it.

I so hope Andy turner has the balls to run a story showing the different levels of support

I have asked again
Dear George

Why would it offend?

You didn’t respond to any of the points raised in the article or the comments about economic impact.

The ground you refer to was sold to wasps with a 250 year long lease. So is that it?

Sorry if it offends but that is a terrible answer when the finances of the city are struggling so much

Thanks again though

Pete

usskyblue

So to paraphrase
Cllr duggjns says they helped out with the Ricoh and sorry if it offends but Sisu have caused this mess and we aren’t gonna help them get out of it.

I so hope Andy turner has the balls to run a story showing the different levels of support

I have asked again
Dear George

Why would it offend?

You didn’t respond to any of the points raised in the article or the comments about economic impact.

The ground you refer to was sold to wasps with a 250 year long lease. So is that it?

Sorry if it offends but that is a terrible answer when the finances of the city are struggling so much

Thanks again though

Pete

And there’s the ‘local’ Council folks.

I assume that means they won’t help with prospective new land sites?...like they ever have anyway.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Regarding the stadium, Without sounding funny, no-one is in this for a round of applause. We asked 3 hours worth of questions to them, and yes, most of what we'd really like to know regarding Ricoh negotiations is in the NDA requested by Wasps. It's a shame, but that's a reality.

Fair play to you Pete and Mark, but seeing is believing because we've heard it all before, re the new stadium .

Skybluefaz

They've taken place in the past, though not as often as you'd like to think by the sounds of it. Personally, I think Pete should just handcuff one arm to Joy and one arm to Derek Richardson until they sort it out. :)
Must be difficult finding a room big enough to accomodate the egos

RegTheDonk

He's obviously bitter. Understandable, egos and past history ... but do we all hate Germans because their ancestors bombed Cov?

He must move forward, not for SISU, but for the good of a historic sporting institution that bears the city's name - and the people of that city who love their football club.

Shame on all those on the council that hold his view, while touting Coventry as the Euorpean City of Sport.

Nick

Administrator
So to paraphrase

I have asked again
Dear George

Why would it offend?

Thanks again though

Pete

That's shocking.

He is far too arrogant.

Ask him why he was so passionate about an aldi closing.

chiefdave

So to paraphrase

That's disgraceful from Duggins. Basically two fingers to the football club just to try and get one over on SISU.

No concern about the millions lost to the local economy every year or peoples jobs or the impact on a significant percentage of the cities population would would class themselves as supporters.

eastwoodsdustman

Pete, Mark well done on the ongoing work with the club and trying to get the message out there to the wider public.
Duggins dreadful response is nothing more than I’d expect to be honest. We all know where the issues lie and his reply to you just reinforces it.
Keep up the good work gents!

chiefdave

I'd be happy to also attend if they'd allow it. We shall see. If it's one of us then Pete is definitely best placed to be the guy.
Assuming its run similarly to the old SCG it won't always have to be the same person so Pete could be the main man and someone else, I would suggest you, could go if and when he can't make it so the forum is still represented.

Nick

Administrator
Excellent point, think someone needs to remind Duggins that Coventry is a city of peace and reconciliation.
He has been snide since he got the gig. bragging about public opinion because he's mates with the trust and the telegraph.

He clearly contradicted something the last leader said because he knew he could.

Users who are viewing this thread