Matty James (1 Viewer)

Opinion on James

• Class. Should be signed if possible in the summer

Votes: 217 90.8%
  • Average. He flatters to decieve and we shouldn’t necessarily sign him in the summer

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Poor, stay away in the Summer

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Evo1883

I think somebody with that experience and class is a valuable asset, I wasnt sold at first ..but over time I've grew to appreciate what he brings to the team

Grendel

Who would you get instead?

Irrelevant I’m not employed to do that. It’s a pointless argument as no one knows what his wages demands are so how can anyone answer that - you may as well say De Bruyne

Ccfcisparks

Irrelevant I’m not employed to do that. It’s a pointless argument as no one knows what his wages demands are so how can anyone answer that - you may as well say De Bruyne
So you said no you wouldn't sign him, due to the wages he would demand and the expense, and then admit you don't know his wage demands so it invalidates your argument. Make it make sense...

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

Well imo James is one of the best players we could possibly sign in the summer at centre mid with our budget

andrew.roberts

Hopefully Robins will sell Matty James the idea of building the team around him. Definitely think it would be worth pushing the boat out (not the one with the free bar) to obtain his signing. We look like a different side with him in it.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Evo1883

The point is valid though ...he currently gets paid 10k , and I'd imagine city will be looking at around 8k to get him ..

It would be hard to find a player of that calibre to join for 8k a week

I couldn't see us offering him a pay rise though to join us

SlowerThanPlatt

The point is valid though ...he currently gets paid 10k , and I'd imagine city will be looking at around 8k to get him ..

It would be hard to find a player of that calibre to join for 8k a week

They won't offer him a pay rise though
I thought 10k was the loan clubs contribution not what he’s currently on?

Evo1883

I thought 10k was the loan clubs contribution not what he’s currently on?

Ah I always assumed he was on 10k a week , any way to find out his actual wage

Edit :First site I looked on said 35k a week 🥴

We won't be able to pay anywhere near that

Grendel

So you said no you wouldn't sign him, due to the wages he would demand and the expense, and then admit you don't know his wage demands so it invalidates your argument. Make it make sense...

It doesn’t invalidate at all as It’s obvious he’s a high profile signing in a position that the club has options in.

No one knows the arrangement on Sheaf and we may sign him for £750,000 - we may offer Kelly a contract and we may either retain Hamer or replace him with a target - we have Allen and Shipley and we can’t force them out

If the choice is retain our 3 strikers and sign him or use the money to sign someone else what then? That’s the likely option with the 4th striker being a loanee if Gyorkes returns

Ccfcisparks

It doesn’t invalidate at all as It’s obvious he’s a high profile signing in a position that the club has options in.

No one knows the arrangement on Sheaf and we may sign him for £750,000 - we may offer Kelly a contract and we may either retain Hamer or replace him with a target - we have Allen and Shipley and we can’t force them out

If the choice is retain our 3 strikers and sign him or use the money to sign someone else what then? That’s the likely option with the 4th striker being a loanee if Gyorkes returns
Hardly out of our budget is he if he signs on 10k a week. That’s £520,000 a year, less than the sheaf deal. Just admit you are just as clueless about his wages as the rest of us

Evo1883

Hardly out of our budget is he if he signs on 10k a week. That’s £520,000 a year, less than the sheaf deal. Just admit you are just as clueless about his wages as the rest of us

By all accounts its 32000 a week currently mate

Grendel

I’m more going off what the loan contributions are at the moment supposedly. Stupid to use a figure like 32k a week as he is never going to get that now is he

Hes also not going to accept £5 grand a week is he

Grendel

Based on what, are you his agent?

common sense if he’s brilliant as people say on here why would he only command a fraction of the average wage in this division - there’d be a queue down the road - unless you think he’s sun standard and can’t command a decent wage anymore?

Ccfcisparks

common sense if he’s brilliant as people say on here why would he only command a fraction of the average wage in this division - there’d be a queue down the road - unless you think he’s sun standard and can’t command a decent wage anymore?
Believe it or not money isn’t the only thing a player considers when making a move. If he can come here and earn 7.5k, without having to move house, uproot his family and leave where he has been for the last 10 years to join a club where he is a guaranteed starter. I’m sure he’d much rather do that than join someone like Middlesbrough on 13k a week where he will have to completely uproot and isn’t guaranteed to play.

Great_Expectations

If finances allows he should be a definite signing.

Started quite slowly and while his technical ability and reading of the game was evident, he didn’t do enough in games; he wasn’t influential or impactful enough.

Thankfully the last few games he’s used his ability to influence and dominate more, so I assume it was a match sharpness/fitness thing, and now it’s clear he’d be a quality signing.

Leadership skills shouldn’t be underestimated either, especially in a team in only our second year in the league and likely filled with inexperienced Championship players.

Terry_dactyl

Believe it or not money isn’t the only thing a player considers when making a move. If he can come here and earn 7.5k, without having to move house, uproot his family and leave where he has been for the last 10 years to join a club where he is a guaranteed starter. I’m sure he’d much rather do that than join someone like Middlesbrough on 13k a week where he will have to completely uproot and isn’t guaranteed to play.
Sorry to disagree but I think if another club (eg Boro) offered about twice as much as we can offer, then I’m sure he would join them.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He's not going to get premier League wages in the championship. Can't see anyone paying him more than £12-15k given his injury record, although that would still be a massive chunk of our budget.

Sick Boy

Why would he uproot his family?
A lot players and managers commute and rent out property short-term, they don’t move their family around with them each time they move.
Otherwise how’s Neil Warnock and his family based in Cornwall while he manages Middlesbrough?
If he had a choice of earning 7.5K a week with us or 13K with them, he’s not going to be coming to us.

Last edited:

cov donkey kick

32k no chance Of that at city.a player thats been paid that for being injured at Leicester long term think he will take a pay cut to join us as can see him using a fair chunk of the playing budget anyway.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

32k no chance Of that at city.a player thats been paid that for being injured at Leicester long term think he will take a pay cut to join us as can see him using a fair chunk of the playing budget anyway.

I reckon he'll be looking for roughly half of what he's on now. Which is probably still beyond what we'd offer.

SlowerThanPlatt

I would not be surprised to see him turn up at Forest or Derby (providing they stay up). They can pay or get closer to his wages. Fits the type of player they usually go for

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread