Matty Godden (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Always interesting the split between people who would take the highest pay check whatever and those who prioritise QoL.

Offhegoes

Well for a start there are strikers in their late thirties scoring regular in the Premiership.
For some arse to suggest Godden should consider retirement at 32 is beyond belief, he is probably at peak fitness, do you really believe Matty Godden or any other player turn up at training kick a ball around for an hour or so than go home in time for Bargain Hunt, my mind boggles at some of the 🤡on here.
As Godden doesn't rely on his pace, no way he will retire for at least another 5 years. I bet he's a better player than he was 5 years ago, as he's playing with higher quality players. Lets be honest here, none of our strikers have been really been firing this season, with the change in formation and the new arrivals all having to bed in. All have contributed though

shmmeee

Other than on here, where’s the suggestion that Godden is on the verge of leaving come from?

Not sure if the rumours are also from here but been some talk that he may be off, plus the Langstaff rumour basically.

SlowerThanPlatt

Why is that?

Choose where they want to live. Local side League 2. Less money but quality of life. Or just spend time with wife and kids. Very strong possibilities for a player coming to the end of their career. Only they know if their body can take another 9 months of brutal fitness. Players don't start retiring from their early 30's for no reason.
He’d not have earnt a great deal really in comparison to other players at this level, remember he didn’t come back into the pro game until his mid 20s.

SkyBlueAussie

Here's my view on Matty.
I'm 65 and been supporting the Sky Blues since 66-67.
Great work ethic, works hard for the team and gets back when needed.
But, Matty always wants the ball where he points..Seen it so many times.
It just doesn't happen that way. As a striker, forget where you want the ball. Look for where it will probably land if you are in the 6 yard box. Only ask for the ball if you have made the yards into a good position.
Don't expect your team mate to be a pychic.
He really is a great grafter though. Reminds me of Regis. Didn't score many but worked for the team..

Mucca Mad Boys

Not sure if the rumours are also from here but been some talk that he may be off, plus the Langstaff rumour basically.
I don’t think we’ll sign Langstaff, I’m also cautious about him being a McNulty v2.0. Especially at the quoted figures.

Our recruitment has generally been left field, so if we do get a forward in, it’ll be a name that’s unexpected.

If Godden is complaining about game time, an another first team forward could upset the balance. With MR leaning towards keeping Tavares I think it’s an area we’ll hold off on strengthening until the summer to be honest.

We play one striker and we have 3 good options in that area - it’s enough. We just wingers to allow Wright to move centrally if required.

Legia Sky Blue

I'm sure I read somewhere that MG has been getting hate mail? Reason not known but disgraceful if true.

Yes it is disgraceful. I would hope though that Godden would have the sense to know that any such mail is/ was not representative of City fans, and that not acknowledging those supporting him and chanting his name is counter productive, and the wrong way to make a point.

olderskyblue

I guess I’m old school, and can’t recall ever booing one of our own players, (opponents and referees were fair game though) let alone attacking them personally the way people appear to have been on social media.

We would always discuss the game later in the pub, and have opinions on who played well, or who didn’t, but the next game, we would be behind them all no matter what.

Then you would hear that people were abusing our own players during the warm up. Wtf?? (Kyle?)

To directly attack our players in any way, including on social media is pathetic tbh, and shows the lack of intelligence of these people. (Although I wonder why players even bother with social media that allows fans to contact them. They surely must know the dangers inherent with this?)

Brighton Sky Blue

I guess I’m old school, and can’t recall ever booing one of our own players, (opponents and referees were fair game though) let alone attacking them personally the way people appear to have been on social media.

We would always discuss the game later in the pub, and have opinions on who played well, or who didn’t, but the next game, we would be behind them all no matter what.

Then you would hear that people were abusing our own players during the warm up. Wtf?? (Kyle?)

To directly attack our players in any way, including on social media is pathetic tbh, and shows the lack of intelligence of these people. (Although I wonder why players even bother with social media that allows fans to contact them. They surely must know the dangers inherent with this?)
The best paid probably hire someone to handle the account and delete/ignore the abusive comments.

Astute

He’d not have earnt a great deal really in comparison to other players at this level, remember he didn’t come back into the pro game until his mid 20s.
But if he has been wise and invested well he will have enough for a comfortable lifestyle. 5k a week average over 4 years is over 1m. Take off tax unless invested in proper tax break investments.

I mentioned what I would consider. I have already taken early retirement and moved to where I wanted to live. I plan to grow my investments from 4% a year and take 6% as income. In just under 10 years the wife gets her state pension and I get mine in 11 and half years. It helped greatly that our forever home cost about £80k all in last June. My full time job has been renovation of the house. We're not rich but we will get by fine. To me it's all about quality of life.

Astute

His family have always lived in Kent.
And hers?

Done the living hundreds of miles away from your nearest family with babies/toddlers. You don't get a single break. Any visiting takes planning. And family support is different to friends support.

Plenty of clubs around Kent that would be interested if that's the route he chooses. He would score for fun in League 1 and get a couple more seasons out of it as long as his body holds up. But I would be just as happy if he stays.

Sick Boy

And hers?

Done the living hundreds of miles away from your nearest family with babies/toddlers. You don't get a single break. Any visiting takes planning. And family support is different to friends support.

Plenty of clubs around Kent that would be interested if that's the route he chooses. He would score for fun in League 1 and get a couple more seasons out of it as long as his body holds up. But I would be just as happy if he stays.
I meant his family, as in him, his wife and kids. As far as I know they've always been based in Kent.

AOM

Be sad to Matty Godden go if there's any truth in the rumours. He always comes across as very intelligent and reads his own game really well in his interviews.
I would be trying to integrate Ellis Simms into the team more though as he still has a lot more room for development, which will obviously limit Godden's playing time.
Think both central strikers seem to be struggling in that position at the moment as a lot of our play goes through the wide forwards and the game can pass them by

Astute

I meant his family, as in him, his wife and kids. As far as I know they've always been based in Kent.
So living in Kent would be a massive lifestyle change for Godden. Minimum 6 hours travel a day for work or live away from your wife and kids most of the time.

hamertime

Should have started Saturday instead of simms who will never do anything. People creaming over simms as he set up a goal against league one defenders. People
Saying he’s great wide when he’s created one chance and was bought as a striker. Robins playing him to justify his purchase. I could understand if Godden had been forced out the team by a player doing well but it’s the opposite. This one really don’t sit right with me some of our fans our morons.

Cally Fedora

I’ve not seen anything that remotely hints that Godden is to be on his way. The only tangible thing we’ve seen around him is that he’s signed a new contract.

Littlewood CCFC

Should have started Saturday instead of simms who will never do anything. People creaming over simms as he set up a goal against league one defenders. People
Saying he’s great wide when he’s created one chance and was bought as a striker. Robins playing him to justify his purchase. I could understand if Godden had been forced out the team by a player doing well but it’s the opposite. This one really don’t sit right with me some of our fans our morons.

"Agree with me or you're a Moron"

Yep, i've definitely found a typical discussion on here 😁

False9

I don't think anyone is creaming themselves over Simms. He's been better in recent games and has the potential to be a lot better than Godden ever could be.

Simms actually gives the defenders something to think about outside of the box, goddens two starts over Christmas were as bad as it gets. Id rather someone missed chances but was involved in the game than be completely anonymous.

I'm not against keeping Godden as a squad player but he needs to accept that is his role as we move forward.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Well he didn't kiss the badge or kick the corner flag when he scored on Saturday so he must be off no?

Just wiped his nose on the shirt, so what does that tell us. 🤧

hamertime

I don't think anyone is creaming themselves over Simms. He's been better in recent games and has the potential to be a lot better than Godden ever could be.

Simms actually gives the defenders something to think about outside of the box, goddens two starts over Christmas were as bad as it gets. Id rather someone missed chances but was involved in the game than be completely anonymous.

I'm not against keeping Godden as a squad player but he needs to accept that is his role as we move forward.
Simms gives defenders something to think of outside the box😂😂😂😂😂😂 im
sure they are shitting themselves. The type of answer I keep getting about Simms. Might be good, will come good, improving, showing potential, looks better out wide, looks hungrier after being a sub for weeks, looks fast after 10 yards, will get sharper with games, younger, repeat repeat till his contacts is over then goodbye. Literally all the season ticket money for this season has been spent on him but fans still think they need to back him to be a nice person. Whereas godden can get slagged off to high heaven. Our fans truly are shit.

Users who are viewing this thread