Maradona (1 Viewer)

BornSlippySkyBlue

I love Pele, I love the 1970s Brazil team. No Pele, they still win the world cup.
No Maradona for Argentina in 86, I don't think they do.
I get your point but am not convinced they would necessarily have won the World Cup without their best ever player. Who knows? Agree that Maradonna was the main reason Argentina (or Napoli) won what they did. All these “greatest ever” comparisons are endless and impossible to prove anyway. People that grew up watching Pele think he was the best, people that have grown up watching Messi think he is (apart from the Ronaldo fan boys :p).

They were / are all amazing players.

Liquid Gold

This says a lot to me as well, he wasn't some media machine, he was a troubled bloke struggling with mental health problems and addiction. As was said in the documentary 'there was the person Diego, who was sweet, kind and loving, then there was the persona Maradona who was completely different' but despite his problems he was still able to put them aside on the pitch, as he actually said " When you're on the field, the life goes away, the problems go away, everything goes away". Maradona is the footballer that really understood what it was like to be a football fan and what it meant to us.

This is part of what I was mentioned For Diego, I would go to the end of the world... But with Maradona, I wouldn't take a step

clint van damme

I get your point but am not convinced they would necessarily have won the World Cup without their best ever player. Who knows? Agree that Maradonna was the main reason Argentina (or Napoli) won what they did. All these “greatest ever” comparisons are endless and impossible to prove anyway. People that grew up watching Pele think he was the best, people that have grown up watching Messi think he is (apart from the Ronaldo fan boys :p).

They were / are all amazing players.

all about opinions but that Brazil side had amazing quality throughout. Argentina not so much.
But yeah, the comparisons and hypothetical scenarios are impossible to prove.

As for Ronaldo I know there's at least one other contributor to this thread who agrees with me that the current Ronaldo isn't even the greatest Ronaldo!!

Evo1883

all about opinions but that Brazil side had amazing quality throughout. Argentina not so much.
But yeah, the comparisons and hypothetical scenarios are impossible to prove.

As for Ronaldo I know there's at least one other contributor to this thread who agrees with me that the current Ronaldo isn't even the greatest Ronaldo!!

He's not, and if not for injuries we would be discussing Ronaldo nozario as the greatest in history no doubt

Extraordinarily special player

Evo1883

He actually started as a 5 a side player.. And was scouted through that I believe.

By the time he was 21 he had scored 47 in 49 at Barca, and 54 in 57 at psv.

Just a remarkable talent.

I dont wish to divert the thread apologies

Terry Gibson's perm

The greatest player of all times is difficult because there are many players I haven’t seen and different positions.

My grandad always said the best player he saw live was Duncan Edwards and my dad George Best until Maradona came along.

The best player I have seen would be Maradona, but we are spoilt at the moment having two that are so close but there is a huge gap to the next best player in this generation

BornSlippySkyBlue

The greatest player of all times is difficult because there are many players I haven’t seen and different positions.

My grandad always said the best player he saw live was Duncan Edwards and my dad George Best until Maradona came along.

The best player I have seen would be Maradona, but we are spoilt at the moment having two that are so close but there is a huge gap to the next best player in this generation
Godden?

Macca

Brilliant player and brilliant cheat tbf.
Mesmerised me as a kid though there have been others since I would rather watch

mark82

Better than Pele? Must admit I saw more of Maradonna playing than Pele, and it’s a subjective call, but I’d put Pele just in front. Things they could both do with a football was different gravy.

I'd take Maradona over Pele (and over Messi & C Ronaldo). Like you say, it's subjective and different eras so hard to compare. Maradona was an absolute genius. Very sad day.

Liquid Gold

I think Ronaldo’s brilliance comes from taking advantage of everything available to him, he is a Frankenstein of sports science that wasn’t available at the time. Messi is similar in the way he plays but wouldn’t have stood up to the power of the game. If Maradona was around today maybe his addiction would have got in the way but if not the way the game is played he’s have 4 a game. Also, imagine him playing in one of today’s super teams not being surrounded by average players that he elevated by taking out 5 man markers.

Ccfcisparks

C
I think Ronaldo’s brilliance comes from taking advantage of everything available to him, he is a Frankenstein of sports science that wasn’t available at the time. Messi is similar in the way he plays but wouldn’t have stood up to the power of the game. If Maradona was around today maybe his addiction would have got in the way but if not the way the game is played he’s have 4 a game. Also, imagine him playing in one of today’s super teams not being surrounded by average players that he elevated by taking out 5 man markers.
Couldn’t you act as a devils advocate though and say that the quality of defending and overall quality of player now is a lot greater than it was in the 80’s?

Liquid Gold

C

Couldn’t you act as a devils advocate though and say that the quality of defending and overall quality of player now is a lot greater than it was in the 80’s?
No, I think defenders in the 70s, 80s and 90s were a lot better. There is no modern Beckenbauer or Maldini. The rules now favour attackers as we move away from it being as much of a contact sport.

clint van damme

C

I'm not sure you can say that about defenders to be honest. Baresi and Maldini were products of the 80s.

Although todays defenders don't have the luxury of being able to wipe a player out in the first few minutes just to 'let them know they're there' and not get a yellow for it.

It’sabatch87

I remember being sat in the Prince William pub in Magaluf watching that game,Peter Reid and Terry Fenwick trying to get near him for the second goal.
Everyone calling him and rightly so a cheat for the first goal but the second a packed bar just said how can you live with that!!
RIP Diego glad I saw you play live.

skyblueusername

I'm not sure you can say that about defenders to be honest. Baresi and Maldini were products of the 80s.

Although todays defenders don't have the luxury of being able to wipe a player out in the first few minutes just to 'let them know they're there' and not get a yellow for it.
and thats how you think Maldini played?

Users who are viewing this thread