Man beheaded in Paris (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I think there’s a discussion if we are open to it to change our own actions from the wisdom of those around us. I often think on here that we share a football team but that means we don’t share so much of everything else and in these days of only reading or listening to what you agree that is gold dust! Only if we are willing to entertain the thought that we may have things to learn and may be wrong on certain things we hold dear. Maybe it’s a naive thing to believe I’m not always right and don’t know everything. I really don’t know anymore! So many people seem so sure of everything and that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Maybe it’s a lack of self worth or confidence in me. At my best I think it’s my most useful character trait and at my worst, which is more often, I think ffs stand for something, be brave and tell people how things should be. However when I do that I find people stop listening

I find that I work from the basis that if I think one thing and someone else says something different that I must be wrong. As you say if that person seems confident it’s harder to stick to what you originally thought. Which I guess is how organised religion was able to exert so much influence for so long

Sky Blue Pete

Seems I may be right

RegTheDonk

Is that right? Here’s a statement from the MCB after the 2005 London bombings, as far as I know the first major Islamist attack in the U.K.: http://archive.mcb.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Signed_Ulama_statement.pdf

Then the 2007 Glasgow airport attack, here they are in the aftermath saying condemnation isn’t enough and vowing to work more with the police:

Here they are condemning the attacker of Labour MP Stephen Timms in 2010:Woman jailed for life for attack on MP Stephen Timms

Here’s their statement on Lee Rigby, 2013: Muslim Council of Britain on the Woolwich Verdict - Muslim Council of Britain (MCB)

The 2017 Westminster attack: Westminster Attack: Call for Solidarity and Prayer - Muslim Council of Britain (MCB)

The MEN Arena bomb later that year: Manchester Attack: Muslim Council of Britain Statement - Muslim Council of Britain (MCB)

The 2017 London Bridge attack: London Bridge Attack: Muslim Council of Britain Response - Muslim Council of Britain (MCB)

The 2019 London Bridge attack: Muslim Council of Britain Responds to London Bridge Attack - Muslim Council of Britain (MCB)

The 2020 Streatham attack: Muslim Council of Britain Responds to Streatham Attack - Muslim Council of Britain (MCB)

Did I miss any?
Thats fair enough, I apologise. I seem to recall a couple of years ago people commenting on how this wasn't being condemned - guess these statements didn't get in the news much.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think there’s a discussion if we are open to it to change our own actions from the wisdom of those around us. I often think on here that we share a football team but that means we don’t share so much of everything else and in these days of only reading or listening to what you agree that is gold dust! Only if we are willing to entertain the thought that we may have things to learn and may be wrong on certain things we hold dear. Maybe it’s a naive thing to believe I’m not always right and don’t know everything. I really don’t know anymore! So many people seem so sure of everything and that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Maybe it’s a lack of self worth or confidence in me. At my best I think it’s my most useful character trait and at my worst, which is more often, I think ffs stand for something, be brave and tell people how things should be. However when I do that I find people stop listening

I agree that why I enjoy the off-topic discussions here is because there's such a variety of beliefs and ideals it's a far better place to get a more balanced view of public perception than other areas of interest where there appears to be be way more groupthink and everyone is largely on the same page. I gives me the chance to reassess what I think, hear some new thoughts and ideas and expand my own with that information creating a better overall 'answer''. We've got a variety of thoughts on Brexit, religion, politics, economics, Covid and that's really refreshing. One thing I've found surprising about this place since I joined is the number of more left wing views than I think many would expect from a football 'crowd', which you'd expect to be far more to the right. I know this is only a small sample size and chances are many of those that are more right-wing aren't on platforms like this but it's still refreshing. I know a lot of the posters who identify more with the right think this is a lefty, liberal place but in terms of numbers I reckon it's actually quite even, just the lefties amongst us are more likely to get engaged and reply more often on more subjects.

Another advantage is that you can't have people like Trump or Johnson just interjecting and not allowing you to put across your point. You can write it all out and show your workings. It's one of the things I hate about parliament is the butting in and jeering which just gets us nowhere.

I also think I'm more at ease with this format than verbal, because I can take time to think about it and edit what I'm trying to say whereas by mouth it's easy to slip up, or forget a point you want to make. I also admit I'm more belligerent in this format as when done face to face I can often see the confusion on the persons face and I either feel sorry for them and lay off cos I feel like I'm bullying them or I get exasperated and show my annoyance, which doesn't win anyone over. Here I can get frustrated, calm down then try and type a calm response.

As for the thought of being naive, not a chance. It's a sensible, mature and intelligent thing to not always believe you're right and those people that do can be dangerous, esp if they have a forceful, charismatic personality and the wrong idea.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I find that I work from the basis that if I think one thing and someone else says something different that I must be wrong. As you say if that person seems confident it’s harder to stick to what you originally thought. Which I guess is how organised religion was able to exert so much influence for so long

I tend to be the opposite - I think I'm right. But I'll listen/read their point of view and take it on board and it can make me realise I've missed something or the've thought of something that can improve my own thoughts. If someone has expertise on the issue then I'll question myself more but I won't automatically assume they're completely right. As with anything if they're very entrenched in a particular subject they can miss factors outside of that influence. For example the economists vs the health pro's on Covid - massive dispairty on both sides because of the position they're coming from and the similar minded people around them.

But as you say I've found that being confident in what you say makes a big difference because people believe you more if you seem to have that conviction. Hence why the likes of Trump, the rich and the posh hold so much sway, possibly because they've had a lifetime of having people never question them so they've built up this internal belief that they're right.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Thats fair enough, I apologise. I seem to recall a couple of years ago people commenting on how this wasn't being condemned - guess these statements didn't get in the news much.

No worries. It’s barely reported on so it’s understandable.

Brighton Sky Blue

I tend to be the opposite - I think I'm right. But I'll listen/read their point of view and take it on board and it can make me realise I've missed something or the've thought of something that can improve my own thoughts. If someone has expertise on the issue then I'll question myself more but I won't automatically assume they're completely right. As with anything if they're very entrenched in a particular subject they can miss factors outside of that influence. For example the economists vs the health pro's on Brexit - massive dispairty on both sides because of the position they're coming from and the similar minded people around them.

But as you say I've found that being confident in what you say makes a big difference because people believe you more if you seem to have that conviction. Hence why the likes of Trump, the rich and the posh hold so much sway, possibly because they've had a lifetime of having people never question them so they've built up this internal belief that they're right.

I think that latter aspect annoys scientists in particular as we aren’t able to use much expertise in debates because most people won’t understand it

ccfc92

Are they really saying it’s justified?

That's the first comment on BBC World news tweet.

He contradicts himself, as I read that as the teacher was in the wrong and execution was justified.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026_181350_com.twitter.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026_181350_com.twitter.android.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 24

Sky Blue Pete

He contradicts himself, as I read that as the teacher was in the wrong and execution was justified.
Yep absolute victim mentality. I’m a very considerate guy but any of my Muslim friends that takes offence at anything I say or look at need to not listen or not look, it really is as simple as that

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Spat between France and Turkey seems wholly unnecessary and it seems some hardline Islamic people are now trying to, ironically, follow the stance of Netanyahu of Israel with Judaism of wanting to ban any kind of Islamophobia but that description appears to be any criticism of Islam or n Islamic country/leader as being called Islamophobic.

SBT

Not that I'd like to get into the habit of speaking on behalf of Twitter randoms, but they explicitly say the murder was wrong

My advice to people getting wound up by crazy folk on Twitter is.....don't read Twitter (it's crazy and doesn't represent any meaningful bloc of society)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not that I'd like to get into the habit of speaking on behalf of Twitter randoms, but they explicitly say the murder was wrong

My advice to people getting wound up by crazy folk on Twitter is.....don't read Twitter (it's crazy and doesn't represent any meaningful bloc of society)

A lot of the posts I have seen go absolutely no way into saying the murder was wrong. Really not sure why you are trying to defend them.

It's one thing to try and fight against an extreme ideology, but it is another when others are helping them.

SBT

A lot of the posts I have seen go absolutely no way into saying the murder was wrong. Really not sure why you are trying to defend them.

It's one thing to try and fight against an extreme ideology, but it is another when others are helping them.

I'm only talking about that specific screenshot. No doubt there's plenty of lunatic accounts (real folk or otherwise) on Twitter saying it was justified, which is obviously indefensible.

shmmeee

You can find literally any opinion on Twitter. Half of them are probably edgy 14 year olds.

pastythegreat

French media sources saying a woman has been beheaded in a church in Nice.
Queue the normal crew on here who will say we're all wrong for assuming its a terror attack. We can't assume it is terrorists (although it has terrorism written all over it) and that the culprit was just a bit insane and should be given a nice comfy room at the Savoy over a prison cell. The sort of soft cunts that pander to these cunts that allow them to carry on doing what they do.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Queue the normal crew on here who will say we're all wrong for assuming its a terror attack. We can't assume it is terrorists (although it has terrorism written all over it) and that the culprit was just a bit insane and should be given a nice comfy room at the Savoy over a prison cell. The sort of soft cunts that pander to these cunts that allow them to carry on doing what they do.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

not one person has said any of that. Why make stuff up to make yourself angry?

Sbarcher

How do you tackle militant Islam? It feels pretty hopeless
You will never stop someone picking up a kitchen knife or jumping into a car to create havoc. It will always be a case of observation and picking up the pieces.

jimmyhillsfanclub

How do you tackle militant Islam? It feels pretty hopeless

Yep....pissing in the wind to a certain extent, but I'm sure we could make some progress with regards fighting back against the online radicalization which seems to be the main feeder for a lot of these lone wolf type islamoterrorpricks.

chiefdave

Why do we always have people who feel the need to post something like this on threads when every post is condemning the horrendous and inexcusable event?

Users who are viewing this thread