M25 blocking (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

How many thousands / tens of thousands / hundreds of thousands of failed protests are there for every one of those?

Pretty sure you said the same about the bullshit the trust was doing as well.

"The Suffragettes protested so it must mean that some batshit mental old people sat in the motorway are going to change the world too".

There's been loads of successful protests through history, we're all benefiting from many of them. Of course they're not all successful, nothing is.

Nick

Administrator
There's been loads of successful protests through history, we're all benefiting from many of them. Of course they're not all successful, nothing is.

Which is why it's hilarious to compare these pricks to the Suffragettes and make out they are going to be the start of the world changing. (see Pete's nonsense).

skybluetony176

How many thousands / tens of thousands / hundreds of thousands of failed protests are there for every one of those?

Pretty sure you said the same about the bullshit the trust was doing as well.

"The Suffragettes protested so it must mean that some batshit mental old people sat in the motorway are going to change the world too".
They’ve got more chance of achieving something than a miserable c**t like you protesting on line about them.

clint van damme

Which is why it's hilarious to compare these pricks to the Suffragettes and make out they are going to be the start of the world changing. (see Pete's nonsense).

That's OTT but the suffragettes is a good example to pull out when you start your bizarre rants about protesting.
Protests have achieved a lot, luckily not everyone sits on their hands.

Though I agree about this insulate Britain lot, they seem confused.

COV

That's OTT but the suffragettes is a good example to pull out when you start your bizarre rants about protesting.

lol, they do indeed. Would suggest people actually read up on the suffragette movement too as that word keeps getting thrown around without any idea of what lengths they went to. These guys on the roads are doing nothing compared to what happened there. And I doubt anyone is going to argue that it wasn’t a noble cause, so does that make murder, arson, bombings etc ok?

Nick

Administrator
They’ve got more chance of achieving something than a miserable c**t like you protesting on line about them.

Says the bloke who spends his days posting shite about Brexit?

Funny that, you were on about the same about the Trust protesting.

Nick

Administrator

Not really a bizarre rant, its when people go on about these pricks like they are going to save the world.

Grendel

Did the suffragette movement actually work anyway?

Grendel

Did it? I thought they abandoned protests in 1914 and it was the recognition of the war effort and womens role in it that led to a movement on the voting laws changing for men and women in 1918. The actual protests achieved no move of the needle and didn't they have some womens committee during the war that led to some changes? Also the political landscape itself massively changed. Without that how did it work?

Nick

Administrator
Which I've said, you seem to dismiss them all.

As I said, it depends what they are and what the method is.

Much better than blindly backing something because it's a protest and then refer to an instance over 100 years ago to justify it as some do on here.

clint van damme

As I said, it depends what they are and what the method is.

Much better than blindly backing something because it's a protest and then refer to an instance over 100 years ago to justify it as some do on here.

But you never back any protest.

Grendel

Yes & no.......It was more to do with women taking up the slack at home during & after WW1 wasnt it?

Yes exactly - the actual protests were laughed at and they were viewed as mad loons. The war changed everything and the 1918 change for votes was more significant actually for men than women - this whole argument is based on a misconception.

Nick

Administrator
But you never back any protest.

Maybe because I don't think any of them discussed on here will work or change a thing?

"David, why are you in a sleeping bag for the camera?"
"Suffregattes, we have brought CCFC home and got them to the Championship. It was all us"

Grendel

Wouldn't have happened without their initial efforts

Disagree. Can you back that up? How then in 1918 were more men than women (I think) allowed the vote who were previously denied it?

Without the war they would have achieved nothing.

Also I am pretty sure they eventually achieved a vote by peaceful political negotiation during the war

Sorry you are giving an opinion not a fact

skybluetony176

Yes exactly - the actual protests were laughed at and they were viewed as mad loons. The war changed everything and the 1918 change for votes was more significant actually for men than women - this whole argument is based on a misconception.
So you’re saying that people looked upon them in the same way as you and Nick look at these protesters but ultimately like these protesters are correct in what they’re protesting. Basically you’re saying that you’re on the wrong side of history and Pete is right to make the comparison. Well done Pete.

clint van damme

Disagree. Can you back that up? How then in 1918 were more men than women (I think) allowed the vote who were previously denied it?

Without the war they would have achieved nothing.

Also I am pretty sure they eventually achieved a vote by peaceful political negotiation during the war

Sorry you are giving an opinion not a fact

The misconception is that a protest is only successful if someone walks up to protestors with a signed agreement to give in to their demands. It doesn't work like that, it's about changing attitudes and perceptions over time.

Anti apartheid protestors weren't handed the key to Nelson Mandelas cell to go and let him out.

COV

The misconception is that a protest is only successful if someone walks up to protestors with a signed agreement to give in to their demands. It doesn't work like that, it's about changing attitudes and perceptions over time.

Anti apartheid protestors weren't handed the key to Nelson Mandelas cell to go and let him out.

Correct, first you raise awareness- once you have the attention of the powers that be you can then move towards change. But without the initial phase of getting into peoples consciousness nothing will ever happen.

clint van damme

Maybe because I don't think any of them discussed on here will work or change a thing?

"David, why are you in a sleeping bag for the camera?"
"Suffregattes, we have brought CCFC home and got them to the Championship. It was all us"

Bizarre.

Bugsy

This thread calls for a song

Last edited:

shmmeee

Do you think people weren't talking about climate change before them? If anything, all the talk is about them being pricks (not just on here).

They are only effective if they bring change and achieve the aim.

I do. A quick look on here suggests The only time these debates get traction is when it’s started by these arseholes 🤷🏻‍♂️

TomRad85

I do. A quick look on here suggests The only time these debates get traction is when it’s started by these arseholes
We aren't talking about climate change though tbf. We're talking about a bunch of idiots sat on a motorway. It's hardly sparked a great debate.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Where's the discussion about we can all insulate our houses easily?

There's an ongoing government green deal at the moment which ends early next year which has been a disaster.
I don't understand why something related to this wasn't the target of their protests, it doesn't make sense, I haven't heard them mention it.

Grendel

Which is your opinion but it’s not anything more than that

• Haha
Reactions: COV

shmmeee

We aren't talking about climate change though tbf. We're talking about a bunch of idiots sat on a motorway. It's hardly sparked a great debate.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We’re talking more about climate change than we were.

I’m not defending them, I think they’re arseholes. But my overall point is protest is about more than “what tangible government action got taken the day after the protest”

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Oh on here you have people who love a protest regardless of what it's about. (as long as it lines up with their politics of course).

The same suffragettes bollocks was said about the knobs "protesting" about CCFC who felt so strongly about the cause half of them don't even bother.

"People are talking about it" doesn't qualify as a successful protest about "Insulating Britain". Britain being insulated would be a success.

People also talk about skinheads with union jack tattoos on their calves protesting too. You won't find the same people backing them though ;)

But if people aren't talking about getting Britain insulated then the government won't be arsed to make it happen. It'd be a big cost for them and they're going to avoid spending wherever they can.

It's step one on the ladder to success. Going back to the suffragettes all their protests pre 1918 would not be considered successful until they got given the vote. And of course once you've achieved your aims there's no need to protest anymore so you're not going to get protests for stuff that is already happening.

"What do we want?!"
"Votes for women!"
"We've already got it"
"I guess I'll just go home then"

If in 10 years time this policy is in place and homes are getting insulated it would be that what they're doing now was successful.

Users who are viewing this thread