M25 blocking (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Where are you getting quotes from?

I was quoted about 3K for a 3 bed semi and windows and doors around 2-3K.

chiefdave

Where are you getting quotes from?

I was quoted about 3K for a 3 bed semi and windows and doors around 2-3K.
I've had three quotes, all roughly the same. Because there's no cavity to fill its either internal insulation, which makes all the rooms smaller, or external. There's then the added bonus that part of the external walls are pebbledash which is seems to be a pain to insulate over and therefore takes longer / costs more.

Nick

Administrator
I've had three quotes, all roughly the same. Because there's no cavity to fill its either internal insulation, which makes all the rooms smaller, or external. There's then the added bonus that part of the external walls are pebbledash which is seems to be a pain to insulate over and therefore takes longer / costs more.
Yeah mine was pebble dash external.

chiefdave

Yeah mine was pebble dash external.
Who did you use? I thought the first quote was expensive so got two more and they were the same! Getting rid of the shitty pebble dashing would be a nice bonus on top of not freezing.

Nick

Administrator
Who did you use? I thought the first quote was expensive so got two more and they were the same! Getting rid of the shitty pebble dashing would be a nice bonus on top of not freezing.

I didn't, it was a local company I got the quote from though.

Windows and Doors I used a local company too, much cheaper compared to the "bigger names".

Grendel

Having just had some quotes done to insulate my not particularly big house I'm starting to think these protesters have a point that it needs government funding. Older house without cavity walls, apparently a common issue in this part of Cov, looking at £7K+ to insulate a 2 bed terrace :eek:

That's before you consider the cost of replacing the old double glazed windows and doors with something more energy effieicnet. That will make it over £10K to make the house more energy efficient. How many people have that sort of money lying around? If they do not sure insulation is top of their list of things to spend it on.

it’s also insane to think the government can fund it. Doors and windows are relatively cheap in comparison.

Grendel

What like pay millions of people to stay at home insanity?? Course they can it’s choice

Yes it’s insane. The millions to stay at home protected the benefit overload and catastrophic business losses Also the planet will still burn and people will end up with huge tax hikes. China ain’t insulating anything

Grendel

That’s ridiculously cheap!

I am replacing 8 windows - I admit small - for £1,200 at the office - plenty of bargains out there

clint van damme

The government's latest green deal is coming to an end, (its been a bit ofa disaster), but I'd imagine there will be another one along at some point in the near future. You'd have got external insulation for a lot less than you've been quoted.
I'd sit tight if I were you at try nd get your windows done in the meantime

chiefdave

I'd sit tight if I were you at try nd get your windows done in the meantime
Well there's no way I can afford what I'm being quoted for insulation so that might have to be the plan! Probably better anyway as it will be external insulation and therefore it will have to be rendered. No point doing that first then have the windows changed and risk them messing up the render.

wingy

Beena few done round by me in the last few months,no idea if a govt initiative,but govt involvement will always jack up a contractors price .
Anyway I stopped one morning and asked 3 eastern European lads doing it 2days but not a full second day, said £41
Sqm which I didn't think was bad .
Typical terrace is what4x6sqm about a thousand.
Never see these guys doing the backs of houses though so what happens to the heat lost there.
You know what it's probably a job a good diyer could handle Very little to it, probably a YT tutorial and you're away.

clint van damme

Beena few done round by me in the last few months,no idea if a govt initiative,but govt involvement will always jack up a contractors price .
Anyway I stopped one morning and asked 3 eastern European lads doing it 2days but not a full second day, said £41
Sqm which I didn't think was bad .
Typical terrace is what4x6sqm about a thousand.
Never see these guys doing the backs of houses though so what happens to the heat lost there.
You know what it's probably a job a good diyer could handle Very little to it, probably a YT tutorial and you're away.

There are some right cowboys around to be honest. There were a few got done near my sisters old house during the last green deal initiative and the finishes on them were horrendous.

stay_up_skyblues

There are some right cowboys around to be honest. There were a few got done near my sisters old house during the last green deal initiative and the finishes on them were horrendous.

Around 40% of my claims portfolio at the minute is made up of actions against (now liquidated) cavity wall installation companies.

Incorporated when one of the Govt. funded schemes came about, bodge filled cavities with sprayed/foam insulation without checking the property was suitable and now there are tens of thousands of claims for internal damp damage.

The damp/damage itself tends to be fairly minor but the cost and effort involved in getting the insulation out is the killer.

The pop up law firms farming the claims on a no win no fee basis are equally as cowboy as some of the outfits that did the work.

JAM See

Around 40% of my claims portfolio at the minute is made up of actions against (now liquidated) cavity wall installation companies.

Incorporated when one of the Govt. funded schemes came about, bodge filled cavities with sprayed/foam insulation without checking the property was suitable and now there are tens of thousands of claims for internal damp damage.

The damp/damage itself tends to be fairly minor but the cost and effort involved in getting the insulation out is the killer.

The pop up law firms farming the claims on a no win no fee basis are equally as cowboy as some of the outfits that did the work.
Many years ago, we had the pellet type cavity wall insulation done.

Every time I put some shelves up or whatever, I would invariability drill too far and end up with a load of pellets coming back through the wall.

No idea whether it worked or not. Didn't notice any decrease in the energy bills.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

it’s also insane to think the government can fund it. Doors and windows are relatively cheap in comparison.

Of course it's insane. If they did that how would they be able to give billions to their mates in unfulfilled contracts or reduce the taxes of the wealthy? It's utterly barmy.

Grendel

Of course it's insane. If they did that how would they be able to give billions to their mates in unfulfilled contracts or reduce the taxes of the wealthy? It's utterly barmy.

Vote for a party that recommends this idiocy then.

Grendel

er that’s a levy Dave and a grant but not a freebie - you can get a £5 grand contribution in an electric heat pump but - heaven forbid - you actually have to put some money in yourself. What a shocking concept!

wingy

Done it correctly and a decent finish tbf,but must have got a bargain deal on thousands of kilogrammes of render as it's dark grey ,looks like raw cement Lol.

wingy

er that’s a levy Dave and a grant but not a freebie - you can get a £5 grand contribution in an electric heat pump but - heaven forbid - you actually have to put some money in yourself. What a shocking concept!
It's a shame they can't do these grants a more subtle way IE:- through a tax relief rebate mechanism as the contractor's go lovely jubly once the scheme's are evident .

Grendel

What like pay millions of people to stay at home insanity?? Course they can it’s choice

The cost would be twice the furlough scheme and the planet would still burn as China tbe us and India will do fuck all

Grendel

wingy

The cost would be twice the furlough scheme and the planet would still burn as China tbe us and India will do fuck all
It's no good idly blaming them , they've been cheered along all the way by the fund managers,multi national business etc and greenwashing Govt's outsourcing there pollution IMO.

wingy

As one said don’t buy the goods then. Buy nothing.
Well this came out the other day in a debate or radio programme may have been an admission from Govt or even Boris himself but not certain ,but yes none or negative growth.

Grendel

It's no good idly blaming them , they've been cheered along all the way by the fund managers,multi national business etc and greenwashing Govt's outsourcing there pollution IMO.

Also every consumer who wants and demands cheap products. In the end everyone pretends to care but everyone hides behind the fact individual action achieves nothing so I’ll keep consuming McDonald’s, buying cheap clothing and consumables from China and India and it’s not my fault. Put prices up then it’s - we can’t afford it - get the government out

skybluetony176

As one said don’t buy the goods then. Buy nothing.
Is that even possible when China makes 75% of all battery cells made in the world. Everything you own that has a battery contains a component that was probably made in China even if the item itself wasn’t.

skybluetony176

Sounds like nopm justifying Wembley tickets.
Not even remotely. It’s just a fact of life. Actually it’s also the suggestion that China’s carbon footprint is China’s problem, it isn’t. China is the world’s factory. Every industry in the world relies on raw materials and components from China so the suggestion that you can just boycott Chinese goods is just bollocks, it’s one of the world’s biggest producers of literally everything from plastic pellets to make plastic components, metal ingots to make metal components from.

Ian1779

£5K towards this will get you virtually nowhere. Not saying there shouldn’t be a personal contribution but the ‘some’ is actually the significant proportion.

Users who are viewing this thread