M25 blocking (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

No not at all but your kids kids are screwed if we can’t make this planet work for us

This is it for me. I’ll be long dead before this shit comes home to roost, but my kids will likely see it and if not then their kids. Also it’s pretty much their number one concern.

Grendel

It’s not violent it’s unacceptable of course and ordinarily blocking a motorway you wouldn’t but I agree unacceptable. I’m not saying do what you want as it’s a protest but I am saying it’s a non violent protest about something that really matters and the government need to do something about it.

Like I say I fear many people would have said this about the great movements of the past. I agree something must be done but don’t let it impinge on my normal life please

I’m so pleased to clamber on the back of giants who've sacrificed many things for the freedoms I have now.

Seriously this stuff really matters or is that the point you all think fuck it someone will solve it and it will all be ok. Tell that to those in natural fires or the islands of the Phillipines disappearing from sight

A few middle class people gluing themselves to the M25 isn’t saving an island in the Philippines and I sounds they will be insulating their houses

covmark

Just the immediate ones and not the grandkids I take it? :p
It's a fair point, but I can't see how 30 people sat on a motorway, whilst severely inconveniencing me, is going to benefit the grandchildren I haven't yet got.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

This is it for me. I’ll be long dead before this shit comes home to roost, but my kids will likely see it and if not then their kids. Also it’s pretty much their number one concern.
So you’d support your kids taking a day of school to urge the government to act?

Evo1883

So you’d support your kids taking a day of school to urge the government to act?
Aren't our government acting though , isn't it more of a problem elsewhere

We could be completely green as a nation and it will make no difference as China won't give a fuck whilst they are making money

Ofcourse we can show the way

shmmeee

We’re about mid table for current emissions, but we’ve got a hell of a lot of red on our ledger historically and have also outsourced most of our emissions from industry to China. There’s a long way to go and our soft power (what’s left of it these days) will be a lot stronger if we’re acting.

Nick

Administrator
It’s not violent it’s unacceptable of course and ordinarily blocking a motorway you wouldn’t but I agree unacceptable. I’m not saying do what you want as it’s a protest but I am saying it’s a non violent protest about something that really matters and the government need to do something about it.

Like I say I fear many people would have said this about the great movements of the past. I agree something must be done but don’t let it impinge on my normal life please

I’m so pleased to clamber on the back of giants who've sacrificed many things for the freedoms I have now.

Seriously this stuff really matters or is that the point you all think fuck it someone will solve it and it will all be ok. Tell that to those in natural fires or the islands of the Phillipines disappearing from sight
Pretty sure they won't be starting a great movement.

If you listen to them they are cult like as well.

clint van damme

Loaded , middle/upper class snob with nowt better to do ,is the point

Standard for this nonsense

it's arguable that apartheid wouldn't have ended in South Africa, without middle class snobs, they got away with stuff no black person would of.
You can probably find examples of similar in all forms of protest, Lady Godiva probably falls into that category.

My argument with Insulate Britain is that they seem to have a little understanding of what they're protesting about.

covmark

No not at all but your kids kids are screwed if we can’t make this planet work for us
Listen, I'm with you mate. I'm no climate change denier. Something obviously needs to be done, and way further reaching than me and you turning our TV's off of fucking standby.
As some people alluded to previously in the thread, why aren't insulate Britain campaigning outside the Chinese, Indian or US embassies? The 3 biggest polluters on Earth?

shmmeee

it's arguable that apartheid wouldn't have ended in South Africa, without middle class snobs, they got away with stuff no black person would of.
You can probably find examples of similar in all forms of protest, Lady Godiva probably falls into that category.

My argument with Insulate Britain is that they seem to have a little understanding of what they're protesting about.

Middle class are always the leading protestors in every protest. Everyone else is too worried about keeping a roof over their head. Same reason middle and upper class produces all the artists and media. This is not an argument against protest it’s an argument for working class liberation.

shmmeee

They do it over there, what difference is kids out of school going to make ?

You already know the answer

Protest works. There’s hundreds of examples throughout history.

School protests were started by Greta Thunberg in Sweden AFAIK.

Evo1883

Protest works. There’s hundreds of examples throughout history.

School protests were started by Greta Thunberg in Sweden AFAIK.

Not with you , we also have summer holidays , do it then ..most of us work

Grendel

no because they’d love a day off school and if a policy impacting their cost lives they’d moan

Evo1883

You can't honestly think that children marching in protest will change how Boris Johnson thinks ? Or acts ?

The government know the data , they know know the effect it will have on their own children's children .. and yet we are still here asking why countries are opening more coal mines

skybluetony176

Listen, I'm with you mate. I'm no climate change denier. Something obviously needs to be done, and way further reaching than me and you turning our TV's off of fucking standby.
As some people alluded to previously in the thread, why aren't insulate Britain campaigning outside the Chinese, Indian or US embassies? The 3 biggest polluters on Earth?

That’s the thing. It depends on your measuring tape. By land mass or per capita neither China or India are the world’s biggest polluters or anywhere near. Per capita we’re actually over twice as polluting as India. And we’re one of the better western so called developed nations.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

the suffragettes had a purpose to change something they don’t

The climate changing so huge swathes of the planet become uninhabitable and many species of plants and animals go extinct is a purpose to change something. Yes, their specific crusade is extremely niche and would only have a small effect on overall outcomes and I think there are other ways they could protest that would have better outcomes but that is the ultimate goal.

At the time the suffragettes were just seen by MP's as a nuisance, campaigning for something that had no merit. And I guarantee if you'd been around at the time you'd have agreed with them.

Evo1883

And the better question is if it's time critical for the planet .. then WHY aren't we going to extreme measures as a collective world of nations to eradicate or slow the process already ?

Why are ordinary people worrying about it more than global leaders ?

We plan to do this by 2040 2050 doesn't scream URGENT , when some on here are talking about their grandchildren feeling the effect

Grendel

The climate changing so huge swathes of the planet become uninhabitable and many species of plants and animals go extinct is a purpose to change something. Yes, their specific crusade is extremely niche and would only have a small effect on overall outcomes and I think there are other ways they could protest that would have better outcomes but that is the ultimate goal.

At the time the suffragettes were just seen by MP's as a nuisance, campaigning for something that had no merit. And I guarantee if you'd been around at the time you'd have agreed with them.

It’s not a U.K. issue alone is it?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You can't honestly think that children marching in protest will change how Boris Johnson thinks ? Or acts ?

The government know the data , they know know the effect it will have on their own children's children .. and yet we are still here asking why countries are opening more coal mines

If enough people supported them he'd say he backed them. Wouldn't actually do anything to back that up though of course.

But he won't be around forever and if something like this had public backing potential incumbents would likely jump on the bandwagon to gain support.

Grendel

The best thing would be if Liam was run over and killed I’d guess

Evo1883

If enough people supported them he'd say he backed them. Wouldn't actually do anything to back that up though of course.

But he won't be around forever and if something like this had public backing potential incumbents would likely jump on the bandwagon to gain support.

But as we are told, 10 / 15 years is already too late ?

We are told this daily

Grendel

will China?

Evo1883

Before anybody tells me I'm denying anything , I'm not I'm merely asking why it's the ordinary people that worry about it more so than the governments around the world, some of which seemingly don't give a fuck... if its now time critical ?

skybluetony176

We could be completely green as a nation and it will make no difference as China won't give a fuck whilst they are making money

Ofcourse we can show the way
That’s exactly the point. Something like 7% of all goods purchased in the uk were made in China. That in the stats will be on China’s books for carbon not ours. Same goes for every country in the world. China is the world’s factory every country in the world exports it carbon footprint to China by importing their goods.

It’s fair to say China could/should be doing more but then so should all countries and all individuals.

Grendel

Whether you agree with them or not you can't say they don't have a purpose to change something. They believe they are trying to save the planet no less.

Do they?

Users who are viewing this thread