Loan Watch (2 Viewers)

Hobo

I have a suspicion Balden likes to review highlights videos and we don't do full comprehensive due diligence.

Baka - saw his highlights reel on a scouting website. It really made him out to be a rough diamond with all the characteristics to be a top player. In reality he displays those every 10 weeks.

Kastaneer - The YouTube video again makes him look top class and we have seen none of that.

Hilsner - looks a player, on YouTube and a a player who scores 30 years stunning goals, in lower level football. Again how many live games did the scouts watch or did we take a punt based on statistics and a highlights reel?

With foreign players it's even more important to go and watch them 3 or 4 times and assess if they have the transferable skills to make it in the English game. Leicester city did that and signed Marhes for about 500k. I am all for signing players from anywhere Japan, Ecuador and USA, who have some great players coming through. But we just need to be better at making sure they are the right fit, Dabo and Hamer have shown it can be done well and I wonder if the same methodologies were used with these two or not?

The guy that scouted Hamer had been keeping on eye on him for years. First saw him when he was 17 I think?

Liquid Gold

I have a suspicion Balden likes to review highlights videos and we don't do full comprehensive due diligence.

Baka - saw his highlights reel on a scouting website. It really made him out to be a rough diamond with all the characteristics to be a top player. In reality he displays those every 10 weeks.

Kastaneer - The YouTube video again makes him look top class and we have seen none of that.

Hilsner - looks a player, on YouTube and a a player who scores 30 years stunning goals, in lower level football. Again how many live games did the scouts watch or did we take a punt based on statistics and a highlights reel?

With foreign players it's even more important to go and watch them 3 or 4 times and assess if they have the transferable skills to make it in the English game. Leicester city did that and signed Marhes for about 500k. I am all for signing players from anywhere Japan, Ecuador and USA, who have some great players coming through. But we just need to be better at making sure they are the right fit, Dabo and Hamer have shown it can be done well and I wonder if the same methodologies were used with these two or not?
I have a suspicion you're talking out of your arse.

Sick Boy

Why’ve you included Dabo? He was born in London ffs.

SBT

The idea that our head of recruitment is actually just a really active YouTuber is amazing, just inspired stuff

Frostie

Chelsea youth player goes to club where former Chelsea youth coach is now assistant manager hardly suggests an undiscovered gem turns up.

In fairness, Dabo was on Badlan's radar for years too & did go through the same recruitment process. Obviously having Viveash here helped us secure him though.

Badlan:
“Chelsea have been a massive help to us and Adi is probably a huge part, in Dabo’s opinion, in him choosing Coventry. But from a recruitment perspective, it hasn’t been a case of Adi knows him so let’s sign him.
The work was done on Dabo as it is on every single player. Myself, personally, and Stu Bentham have probably got four or five years of back data on the player.”

SBT

Still feel bad for Hilssner, who could even have been a decent player before he got here (we'll never really know), but there's no reason why someone who's just filling in adequately for the 17th best team in League Two should expect to be anywhere near our squad, whatever division we're in next season. Maybe not his fault, but he'll never play for us.

better days

I think Badlan was responsible for European recruitment at Norwich
They would have had the budget to send him over regularly and he almost certainly made local contacts during that time
I guess the signings were players he already had an eye on
It's a shame Hilssner hasn't worked so far
Kasta's problem is all in his head
The lad has no self awareness

cc84cov

I think Badlan was responsible for European recruitment at Norwich
They would have had the budget to send him over regularly and he almost certainly made local contacts during that time
I guess the signings were players he already had an eye on
It's a shame Hilssner hasn't worked so far
Kasta's problem is all in his head
The lad has no self awareness
Badlan should be kept well away from any football club including Sunday league under 7’s after the kasta disaster

SeaSeeEffCee

Yeah, especially after he managed to identify Dabo, O'Hare, Walsh, Marosi, McFadz, Rose, Allen, Godden & Hamer.

What a prick.
Marosi, McFadz, Allen and Godden were already established players at the level we were at, hardly unearthed gems. The more out there signings have been pretty poor on the whole.

shmmeee

I think it’s safe to say Hilßner won’t get a look in next season if he’s only effective in L2 at DM considering the competition we have there. Best bet is someone a division or two down takes a punt.

That, or all players have a YouTube video that makes them look way better than they are.

cc84cov

Yeah, especially after he managed to identify Dabo, O'Hare, Walsh, Marosi, McFadz, Rose, Allen, Godden & Hamer.

What a prick.
I’m sure robins knew about all of them bar Hamer & possibly Rose tbh his foreign signings apart from Hamer who else has come off ?

Liquid Gold

I’m sure robins knew about all of them bar Hamer & possibly Rose tbh his foreign signings apart from Hamer who else has come off ?
It doesn't matter if your huge assumption is correct Robins knows everything about them, all of our signings follow the same process of data evaluation, scouting and review.

cc84cov

It doesn't matter if your huge assumption is correct Robins knows everything about them, all of our signings follow the same process of data evaluation, scouting and review.
And bar Hamer & possibly rose the rest haven’t been up to it

Which is my original point 🤷🏻‍♂️

chiefdave

You have no idea how scouting & recruitment work, that's pretty clear.
Boddy spoke about this on one of the podcast interviews he did.

The basics were that they work 12 months ahead and the recruitment team work off requirements supplied by Robins and Viveash. So they say they want a type of player rather than a specific player. The recruitment team then work on locating players that match those requirements.

I'm pretty sure at least some of that will be done remotely via platforms like Wyscout. If Premier League teams work that way then there's no way we're the exception and are flying people round the globe to watch players in person as a matter of routine, even when there isn't pandemic related travel issues.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

The basics were that they work 12 months ahead and the recruitment team work off requirements supplied by Robins and Viveash. So they say they want a type of player rather than a specific player. The recruitment team then work on locating players that match those requirements.

I'm pretty sure at least some of that will be done remotely via platforms like Wyscout. If Premier League teams work that way then there's no way we're the exception and are flying people round the globe to watch players in person as a matter of routine, even when there isn't pandemic related travel issues.
Nope, not having that. Badland defo recruits off YT vids and Biddy's just made that up to impress the podcast guys.

shmmeee

Either does Badlan let’s not forget “kasta shouldn’t be playing at this level” in league 1 we was then haha

Anyway it’s not my job to know how it works the ins and the outs but I can see 99% of his signings don’t work out

Recruitment and percentages it seems.

Frostie

Spot on 👍🏻
As mentioned previously it's how all top clubs operate.

We have Badlan, Benthom & (I believe 5) full time scouts working under them.
We use a combination of Technical Scouting & Traditional Scouting. Every single player is thoroughly scouted (over years usually), will be watched in person multiple times & we regularly contact coaches a player has previously worked with for character references etc. A lot of the time after receiving a recommendation Robins will also want to watch the player personally too.

Of course, most clubs are now moving in this direction but we've been a little ahead of the curve & with Badlan previously being European Scout at bigger clubs he has sizeable knowledge, databases & contacts, this enables us to unearth raw potential or undervalued talent etc.
Anyone expecting us to sign the finished article to immediately be a top Championship player though will be disappointed. If they are already at that level they will be targets for bigger clubs & be out of our budget.

Obviously most bigger clubs have significantly larger scouting budgets than us & will have analysts or scouts covering every league imaginable whereas we will focus on probably 6-8 leagues around the world. This is going to have to change somewhat with the new Brexit rules & I feel we may have to discount some of the leagues we've previously looked in & expand into areas like South America etc. instead.This makes things even more difficult as skillsets don't usually transfer so easily as well as the huge changes in culture in moving continent.

The utter tripe about the recruitment team deserve no credit for the likes of Hamer etc. because they're 'Known' is plainly daft. Badlan has had Hamer on his radar for over 5 years. If he was that well known bigger clubs would have already snapped him up.

cc84cov

Spot on 👍🏻
As mentioned previously it's how all top clubs operate.

We have Badlan, Benthom & (I believe 5) full time scouts working under them.
We use a combination of Technical Scouting & Traditional Scouting. Every single player is thoroughly scouted (over years usually), will be watched in person multiple times & we regularly contact coaches a player has previously worked with for character references etc. A lot of the time after receiving a recommendation Robins will also want to watch the player personally too.

Of course, most clubs are now moving in this direction but we've been a little ahead of the curve & with Badlan previously being European Scout at bigger clubs he has sizeable knowledge, databases & contacts, this enables us to unearth raw potential or undervalued talent etc.
Anyone expecting us to sign the finished article to immediately be a top Championship player though will be disappointed. If they are already at that level they will be targets for bigger clubs & be out of our budget.

Obviously most bigger clubs have significantly larger scouting budgets than us & will have analysts or scouts covering every league imaginable whereas we will focus on probably 6-8 leagues around the world. This is going to have to change somewhat with the new Brexit rules & I feel we may have to discount some of the leagues we've previously looked in & expand into areas like South America etc. instead.This makes things even more difficult as skillsets don't usually transfer so easily as well as the huge changes in culture in moving continent.

The utter tripe about the recruitment team deserve no credit for the likes of Hamer etc. because they're 'Known' is plainly daft. Badlan has had Hamer on his radar for over 5 years. If he was that well known bigger clubs would have already snapped him up.
Mate calm yourself your not part of the scouting team 😎

You named Hamer...who else has been a success ?

Users who are viewing this thread