Loan Watch (3 Viewers)

Magwitch1

Motm midweek and voted so again today at centre back. Sounds like he's starting to stamp his authority on the back line.

I do think it's a shame for Eccles we didn't send him back out.
When we brought him back we had main men like Kelly, Dabo, Rose, Walker, Godden injured with no dates on their return reducing our match day squad, he had to come back imo.

larry_david

Watched Cambridge Oldham today. Drysdale vs hilsner.

Hilsner - subbed on about 57. First 20 he ran the game and does have quality, showed a good burst of pace a few times and a classy left foot. But let's have it right. I wouldn't have said he's anything other than middle league 1 standard and he still has the physique of a slim darts player. I'm afraid he's not one for us.

Drysdale - their first goal was a long ball over the top. Guy looked about 5 yards offside but hard to tell. Dec was at fault. But he grew into the game, won every header and is classy on the ball. Turn of pass bursting forwards, not afraid to demand the ball at any opportunity and nearly scored, tipped wide from point blank range. He very well could be one for us. Young, tall, athletic, strong and composure on the ball. Personally think he's got a great future at ccfc

Frostie

Hilßner played 70mins as an Attacking Midfielder in a 3-4-2-1 in a 2-1 win for Oldham. Pretty poor performance & struggled physically though by all accounts.

Ccfcisparks

Hilßner played 70mins as an Attacking Midfielder in a 3-4-2-1 in a 2-1 win for Oldham. Pretty poor performance & struggled physically though by all accounts.
Doesn’t appear that Curle wants to play him where he was playing before. Oldham fans were saying he was first name on the team sheet under Harry Kewell

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's a shame for him really as he's essentially packed up his entire life and move to the UK in an attempt to further his career and it just hasn't worked out.

However, if he's struggling to cope with his fitness/weight in L2, then without beating around the bush, he's got little hope of making the grade in the Championship, or even in L1. Regardless of what league we're in come summer it's probably best for both parties if he finds himself another club.

Frostie

It's a shame for him really as he's essentially packed up his entire life and move to the UK in an attempt to further his career and it just hasn't worked out.

However, if he's struggling to cope with his fitness/weight in L2, then without beating around the bush, he's got little hope of making the grade in the Championship, or even in L1. Regardless of what league we're in come summer it's probably best for both parties if he finds himself another club.

For me, at least he's going out there & giving it his best, unlike Kastaneer for example. He had been doing very well at Oldham but as @Ccfcisparks said, the change of manager has seen him played in a myriad of different roles. He even played at wing-back in one recently!

I think given the timing of his illness this season he obviously didn't get a proper pre-season in either so hopefully he does this time & we will make a fairer judgment then.

fernandopartridge

For me, at least he's going out there & giving it his best, unlike Kastaneer for example. He had been doing very well at Oldham but as @Ccfcisparks said, the change of manager has seen him played in a myriad of different roles. He even played at wing-back in one recently!

I think given the timing of his illness this season he obviously didn't get a proper pre-season in either so hopefully he does this time & we will make a fairer judgment then.

He's had 14 games at Oldham now, that's nearly a third of a season and it doesn't seem to have had any real effect. Playing > pre season when it comes to fitness.

KenilworthSkyBlue

He was doing well in a deeper position - a position that we're already packed with players and one that isn't even his strongest position to play in.

What specifically concerns me with Hillsner is that he's 14 games into his time at Oldham and questions are still being raised about his conditioning. Baring in mind this is in L2 which is far more forgiving with regards to fitness and conditioning than the Championship.

Regardless of his illness and lack of pre-season, he's had ample time to get up to speed and it just clearly hasn't happened for whatever reason.

Ccfcisparks

He was doing well in a deeper position - a position that we're already packed with players and one that isn't even his strongest position to play in.

What specifically concerns me with Hillsner is that he's 14 games into his time at Oldham and questions are still being raised about his conditioning. Baring in mind this is in L2 which is far more forgiving with regards to fitness and conditioning than the Championship.

Regardless of his illness and lack of pre-season, he's had ample time to get up to speed and it just clearly hasn't happened for whatever reason.
He will be in and around the squad if we get relegated 100%

KenilworthSkyBlue

Another stupid signing

It's not so much stupid as every transfer comes with its associated risks and dipping into the European market is always precarious. However, I simply can't fathom why the club is insistent on dishing out 3-year contracts on European players like party bags.

I've said it before, it would be far more appropriate that a 2-year contract with a 1 year extension clause in the club's favour is offered otherwise they're leaving themselves open to unnecessary risk. As shown with Jobello, Kastaneer and now Hillsner.

KenilworthSkyBlue

He will be in and around the squad if we get relegated 100%

I wouldn't say 100% at all.

If we're to go down we'll likely have Allen, Jones, Bapaga and Shipley (O'Hare will probably be sold) fighting for a spot in the attacking midfield position/s.

Unless he's content with barely featuring I suspect he'll be moved on. Like I said, it'd be best for both parties.

fernandopartridge

It's not so much stupid as every transfer comes with its associated risks and dipping into the European market is always precarious. However, I simply can't fathom why the club is insistent on dishing out 3-year contracts on European players like party bags.

I've said it before, it would be far more appropriate that a 2-year contract with a 1 year extension clause in the club's favour is offered otherwise they're leaving themselves open to unnecessary risk. As shown with Jobello, Kastaneer and now Hillsner.

I know we were in the transition period when we signed HIllsner so it might be moot, but is there a potential visa related issue?

Ccfcisparks

If we're to go down we'll likely have Allen, Jones, Bapaga and Shipley (O'Hare will probably be sold) fighting for a spot in the attacking midfield position/s.

Unless he's content with barely featuring I suspect he'll be moved on. Like I said, it'd be best for both parties.
He wouldnt be in the squad as a AM. I guarantee he would be one of the centre midfielders. We would lose Hamer, James and likely Sheaf. Hes a cheap replacement.

better days

I know we were in the transition period when we signed HIllsner so it might be moot, but is there a potential visa related issue?
Unlikely FP. He already has a job and could have applied for settled status
The real difference will be this year
Clubs won't be able to take a punt on cheap EU players who don't have 'elite' level status
At least it will give young British and Irish lads more of a chance

cc84cov

I’m sure his 3 year contract will keep him happy

maybe he was done on a league 1 seasons budget can’t see how we felt he would be close to champ level you can see a player very quick his debut you could see he was a fish out of water these 3 gear contracts are beyond a joke same with kasta etc

Ccfcisparks

maybe he was done on a league 1 seasons budget can’t see how we felt he would be close to champ level you can see a player very quick his debut you could see he was a fish out of water these 3 gear contracts are beyond a joke same with kasta etc
Thank god professional managers don't judge players as quickly as you.

KenilworthSkyBlue

He wouldnt be in the squad as a AM. I guarantee he would be one of the centre midfielders. We would lose Hamer, James and likely Sheaf. Hes a cheap replacement.

We brought him in as an AM and he himself describes himself as a AM/winger. But, granted he has performed well playing in a deeper midfield role - although just because Kewell deployed him there, that doesn't necessarily mean Robins will do the same as managers have their own ways of doing things.

If we're to find ourselves in L1, Kelly's contract will quite obviously be renewed and another starting CM will be brought in. Behind Kelly will be Eccles and then another CM slot will be left open to be filled. Hilssner has performed well in that position for Oldham so you could well be right and he is retained beyond the summer and deployed in that position as a back up, as like you said he will be relatively inexpensive to keep.

Robins undoubtably will have to settle on certain squad members next season due to the drop in revenue from losing out on Championship TV money - which hopefully will be mitigated in part by the return to the Ricoh and getting more bums on seats - but is still likely to hit us. Whether that will apply to Hilssner remains to be seen though as Robins seemed to be fairly frustrated for a better word regarding his fitness issues before he left for Oldham, so you can't guarantee anything I'm afraid as he's not exactly known for changing his mind on a player too often.

Last edited:

ccfc1234

I have a suspicion Balden likes to review highlights videos and we don't do full comprehensive due diligence.

Baka - saw his highlights reel on a scouting website. It really made him out to be a rough diamond with all the characteristics to be a top player. In reality he displays those every 10 weeks.

Kastaneer - The YouTube video again makes him look top class and we have seen none of that.

Hilsner - looks a player, on YouTube and a a player who scores 30 years stunning goals, in lower level football. Again how many live games did the scouts watch or did we take a punt based on statistics and a highlights reel?

With foreign players it's even more important to go and watch them 3 or 4 times and assess if they have the transferable skills to make it in the English game. Leicester city did that and signed Marhes for about 500k. I am all for signing players from anywhere Japan, Ecuador and USA, who have some great players coming through. But we just need to be better at making sure they are the right fit, Dabo and Hamer have shown it can be done well and I wonder if the same methodologies were used with these two or not?

Frostie

I have a suspicion Balden likes to review highlights videos and we don't do full comprehensive due diligence.

Baka - saw his highlights reel on a scouting website. It really made him out to be a rough diamond with all the characteristics to be a top player. In reality he displays those every 10 weeks.

Kastaneer - The YouTube video again makes him look top class and we have seen none of that.

Hilsner - looks a player, on YouTube and a a player who scores 30 years stunning goals, in lower level football. Again how many live games did the scouts watch or did we take a punt based on statistics and a highlights reel?

With foreign players it's even more important to go and watch them 3 or 4 times and assess if they have the transferable skills to make it in the English game. Leicester city did that and signed Marhes for about 500k. I am all for signing players from anywhere Japan, Ecuador and USA, who have some great players coming through. But we just need to be better at making sure they are the right fit, Dabo and Hamer have shown it can be done well and I wonder if the same methodologies were used with these two or not?

We don't operate like that at all. It's a lazy assumption based on 1 or 2 that have struggled. We don't have the budget to waste on 'punts' so every signing is thoroughly analysed. We scouted & watched Hilßner extensively for over a year for example. There's a myriad of reasons why transfers don't work out as hoped. We have a far, far better record than most in this area since Badlan's arrival.

Users who are viewing this thread