Left back (1 Viewer)

Skybluedownunder

When did he play for us mate?

(agreed if he’d come down on wages he’s perfect)

Just looked up Luke Garbutt, stats look pretty good, scored a few in the last two seasons from left back too. Agreed I think he has to be realistic about his wages, he hasn’t played a premier league game since 2014/2015 and has been on loan in League One for the last two seasons so would be a great signing if we could get him.

Garryb80

I would rather see the young lad, Newton get a shot at playing ahead of the likes of Fox or Giles, but happy to trust in MR to make the right call.
Giles been on the bench for a European qualified Premier league side..newton played for Royston Town... im not suggesting Newton isn't going to make it but I'm fairly certain I know which one id go for right now

better days

Giles been on the bench for a European qualified Premier league side..newton played for Royston Town... im not suggesting Newton isn't going to make it but I'm fairly certain I know which one id go for right now
Newton definitely won't be first choice LB at the start of the season

Legia Sky Blue

I know that but the poster I replied to seemed to want him over premier league youngsters

Over this particular youngster, yes. Giles has never played in the Premier League, and wasn't deemed good enough to replace McCallum, who was almost as inexperienced as Newton at the start of the season, or even come on for him as a sub. Yes, he is a Wolves under 23 player, but Premier teams performances in the EFL Trophy, don't suggest that level is as high as you think it is. As for Newton, I understand that he is highly rated, similar to McCallum before him, so on that basis I would be quite happy for MR to give him a go if he felt he was good enough, and certainly ahead of Giles who it appears MR doesn't feel is good enough. Obviously the odds are that we will bring in a left back, I just don't see it being Giles (or Fox).

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm sure Newton will be given the chance to show what he can pre-season to compete with Mason.

better days

I'm sure Newton will be given the chance to show what he can pre-season to compete with Mason.
He's tenacious and seems to have reasonable pace
But he isn't the tallest (didn't stop Danny Rose I suppose) and needs to learn more about defending, particularly to get a better positional sense and how to scent trouble and cut the space down to stop crosses coming in

D

Deleted member 2477

Is greg downes still around ?
would bring a lot of experience and has premier league experience and fa cup winner

AlansEyes

Mason is an odd one. Lots were calling for him to keep his place when McCallum came into the side. I thought he was great in the early part of the season. Agree though that we need a LB/LWB either as competition for Mason or to come in ahead of him if Robins isn't sure on him.

Garryb80

Over this particular youngster, yes. Giles has never played in the Premier League, and wasn't deemed good enough to replace McCallum, who was almost as inexperienced as Newton at the start of the season, or even come on for him as a sub. Yes, he is a Wolves under 23 player, but Premier teams performances in the EFL Trophy, don't suggest that level is as high as you think it is. As for Newton, I understand that he is highly rated, similar to McCallum before him, so on that basis I would be quite happy for MR to give him a go if he felt he was good enough, and certainly ahead of Giles who it appears MR doesn't feel is good enough. Obviously the odds are that we will bring in a left back, I just don't see it being Giles (or Fox).
Giles did play half a season for Shrewsbury getting good reviews. Newton has no experience at all.

speedie87

What ever happened to Graham Barrett ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Think he went to Scotland after us for a couple of years then back to Ireland.

I noticed he was a sub for arsenal v us in that classic 3-2 game they showed during lockdown!

David O'Day

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We definitely signed Neil Wood permanently. He was here for two seasons and no way would we have loaned him back for a second year.

speedie87

I stood next to him and had chat at Burnley away night match one season he was there with his parents and remember he was def one of our players at time.

Users who are viewing this thread