Lee Hughes is AT the Ricoh (1 Viewer)

Sutty

I understand what Sick Boy is getting at, King is as bad as Hughes he has convictions for speeding at 130mph, drink driving and driving without insurance. King is just lucky he hasn't killed anyone through his stupidity. I think people who sang songs about Kings crimes and his victim were bang out of order also, I would go as far to say as a human being King is probably worse but obviously the consequences of Hughes actions were a 100 fold worse than Kings

I can also understand County fans backing there player with cheers when he gets stick from the opposition in normal circumstances, however I think that given the occasion and the connection with the club and the crime I think they should have shown more respect than the cheer him on like a hero. I think Notts County as a club should have shown more respect and not played him, I can't talk for people who knew the victim and I wouldn't try to but I would imagine it would have been an emotional day for them especially if they were in the stadium on Saturday. I know if the roles were reversed I would feel very uncomfortable with him being in the squad.

This, this, this.

Grendel

So would you prefer a member of your family to get assaulted or would you prefer them dead?

Not similar in my eyes.

It isn't similar but we are now suggesting morality is applicable only by the degree of offence.

So would a rapist be OK, would a serial burglar, an armed robber or someone who commits GBH on a regular basis?

Personally it makes me uncomfortable full stop. A lot of the football world were revulsed that we took Marlon King on. His record is shameful. The offence is not as bad as Hughes but the amount of criminal convictions he has suggests far more premedidation.

If we are justifying recruiting King on the basis his crime did not involve someones death then we are not exactly top of the morality tree.

The real uncomfortable truth is of course far worse. If Lee Hughes had commited his crime in Nottingham and was scoring goals freely for Coventry he would have many, many apologists on this Forum.

VisitingPie

And that's not wrong Grendal. It's just the collective mentality of football fans, you back your own. I am prepared to bet that 90 percent of the away fans on Sat didn't give it a moments thought that it was at Coventry, probably didn't even know the victim was a Coventry fan, so they just backed him as they normally do. The louder he's booed, the louder they chant his name.

I had thought about it, and I was just praying that he wouldn't celebrate or wind up the home fans. He in fact acted very sensitively but I appreciate that you would have preferred him not to be there. There is no way KC was trying to wind you all up by bringing him on. We were only a goal up, weren't playing to our usual strength and Zoko was tiring as he missed a pre season. It's what he always does.

Astute

I have never said we were right to sign King. He was a good signing as a player, but came with too much baggage. Anyone that hits women deserve what they get. In my younger days I ended up in crown court and got a suspended sentence for stopping a bloke from attacking a woman in the street. I got a worse sentence than he did. Would I do it again? I would like to think I would.

I am not saying we are better than another club that signs a player that has been in prison. You must look at the crime though. No need to go through what Hughes did yet again. It was wrong to play him against us. Full stop. He is coming to the end of his career. Let him go out of the media's radar. Let the families affected by his actions be able not to see his face or be able to read about him all the time.

The one thing that the two players have in common was alcohol, although it was said to be drugs as well with Hughes, which was why he went on the run whilst his body got rid of traces of what he had been taking. I have done silly things whilst pissed. It happens. I have never hit a woman or driven a car whilst pissed though. Being pissed is not an excuse though, just a cause. My thoughts have mellowed on Hughes over the years. At first he should never play again. The one I will never change is that he should play against us. Yes he might do a lot of good for charity. What has he ever done for the lives he wrecked though? Nothing from what I have read.

Skyblue4u

How can a case of assault compare in anyway to causing a crash due to drinking and probably drugs then just leaving the driver of the other car to die instead of trying to help? Hughes effectively killed two people that night as Douglas Graham wife died 13 months later never being able to get over her loss.

Have you ever suffered the loss of somebody really close to you?

Your thinly veiled defense of Hughes and King is sickening.

Read this http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...-hughes-for-killing-my-father-92746-28205635/

Sick Boy

How can a case of assault compare in anyway to causing a crash due to drinking and probably drugs then just leaving the driver of the other car to die instead of trying to help? Hughes effectively killed two people that night as Douglas Graham wife died 13 months later never being able to get over her loss.

Have you ever suffered the loss of somebody really close to you?

Your thinly veiled defense of Hughes and King is sickening.

Read this http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...-hughes-for-killing-my-father-92746-28205635/

To anyone with half a brain it is obvious that I despise both of them. At no point have I defended either of them, if anything I have been sticking up for supporters of other clubs who have had their clubs labelled as 'vile' and 'disgusting'. I have also condemned those who chanted songs that mocked the King case, whilst pointing out at our club was looked down upon very much for employing King.

You are the one who has trivialised King's crimes in the past. How you managed to draw the conclusion that I am Marlon King, only you will ever know.

Last edited:

Derbys_Pie

You're right, anyone would understand the difference with half a brain, and i'm sure he does, but surely you aren't using that in the defence of Marlon King?!

Your argument is flawed, the guys got more criminal convictions than i've had hot dinners!

The simple fact is King got lucky and they're both pretty vile people.

Skyblue4u

I'm not and never have defended king he is vile and always will be scum but they aren't equal in the crime in hand. Coventry fans have every right to take the moral high ground on Hughes and be rightly upset that he even entered our city

Users who are viewing this thread