Lee Hughes is AT the Ricoh (1 Viewer)

ricohroar

Probably the safest ground in the World to return too.

Could you even imagine if it was Leeds he'd of been at? No chance he'd of returned.
Easy pickings, too easy all through

VisitingPie

VisitingPie just a question are your fans happy with having a player like Lee Hughes representing your club? I am asking because some Coventry fans were not too happy when we had Marlon King

You probably won't like this answer, but I think you have to look at supporters mentality. They back their team and players and remember, it's his goals we celebrate, nothing else. At the time of his signing I think there were a few questioning it but mostly he's very highly regarded by everyone at the club. He does more for charity and the community than any other player, including during close season. Obviously he can't put it right, and I agree it's a bit different coming to your ground than anywhere else. But he's doing what he can. He also took a pay cut to stay with us. You don't get that much with pro footballers.

I know that Marlon King didn't kill anyone, but how many times was he arrested for the same thing? I've avoided mentioning this before as you're right, the outcome of both their acts can't be compared, but one of them made a public and private apology and has since worked very hard for charity to try to give something back. To me that does mean something, as a human, not just a notts fan but no matter what he does, he has taken someones life and has to live with that.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why is it you said yourself yesterday that you doubted he would come on as there were a couple ahead in the pecking order,while you're probably right in general for this particular game i feel this was Kieth curles intention.
I agree, I shouted my mouth off earlier when I said at every away ground but I feel his inclusion today in the match was to upset the home fans to try an give them an advantage, at least partly

pusbccfc

I think the Notts County fans are a disgrace!
When they knew he was coming on they were winding us up about what he did.
Cheering every touch, singing his name.

It was embarrassing to see a club like Notts County singing about a murderer to wind up very angry fans.
I don't know if it happens at every game when he appears but when you know it was a fellow Coventrian killed it was a upsetting to see.

Also he looked shit scared against Cameron!

VisitingPie

I agree, I shouted my mouth off earlier when I said at every away ground but I feel his inclusion today in the match was to upset the home fans to try an give them an advantage, at least partly

I'm certain I didn't say that. I said it was unlikely he would start as he's usually on the bench.

LJC_CCFC

You probably won't like this answer, but I think you have to look at supporters mentality. They back their team and players and remember, it's his goals we celebrate, nothing else. At the time of his signing I think there were a few questioning it but mostly he's very highly regarded by everyone at the club. He does more for charity and the community than any other player, including during close season. Obviously he can't put it right, and I agree it's a bit different coming to your ground than anywhere else. But he's doing what he can. He also took a pay cut to stay with us. You don't get that much with pro footballers.

I know that Marlon King didn't kill anyone, but how many times was he arrested for the same thing? I've avoided mentioning this before as you're right, the outcome of both their acts can't be compared, but one of them made a public and private apology and has since worked very hard for charity to try to give something back. To me that does mean something, as a human, not just a notts fan but no matter what he does, he has taken someones life and has to live with that.

Fair and honest response

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think the fact he "does more for charity and the community than any other player" is because none of the other players have probation watching over them following their early release from a soft prison sentence! I doubt its anything the club ask him to do! Its just a bonus of having a criminal on your books.

VisitingPie

I think the fact he "does more for charity and the community than any other player" is because none of the other players have probation watching over them following their early release from a soft prison sentence! I doubt its anything the club ask him to do! Its just a bonus of having a criminal on your books.

No, it's not anything the club ask him to do. It's not something probation have asked him to do either. It's something he has done off his own back.

pusbccfc

Yes there was 1 man especially waving his arms laughing and doing crying actions to the City supporters under the scoreboard when the songs were sung. Just very upsetting how well he was cheered when he came on. It was such a cheer it was evidently to wind the city fans up

VisitingPie

Well if that happened, it's certainly not something I would have done. But he gets this response everywhere he goes, and Notts fans back him, it's just what football fans do. I imagine you backed King when he played and got abuse from opposition fans.

ajsccfc

The majority of their fans would have just been supporting their player who was getting booed rather than revelling in what he did, it'd be a very small minority to be that sadistic.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Winding you up 'about what he did' pusb? Are you sure about that?
When he came on, when he was on the sideline all the boos started coming through an all the County fans stood up and gave him a standing ovation onto the pitch with lots of cheering. It was above the normal reception fans give to players coming on to the pitch that it was clearly in response to the boos he was receiving

The response he got to coming onto the pitch from the away fans was comparable to that of a player who had scored a hat trick leaving the pitch

VisitingPie

He gets that response everywhere he goes. He only has to warm up for his name to be chanted. It was certainly nothing special because it was at your ground I can promise you that. We hadn't had a 30 goal a season striker for decades before him and had spent years only just avoiding the drop into non league. I don't think most football fans think much deeper than that.

Skyblue4u

Notts County, disgusting little club along with Oldham with some appalling fans. Don't condone Football violence but on this occasion I'll buy a pint for anybody that managed to brick a car window with a lee Hughes mask in it.

CovisGod

Yep that be the mask, 3 separate cars I saw with them stuck in the back window, not sure if its summat the fans always do at away games but if that was done to piss the Cov fans off knowing full well what happened then its an absolute disgrace,

I feel sorry for the County fan on here because he's answered every question put to him respectfully but unfortunately he's fighting a losing battle, people lost there lives because of that twat and I for one wouldn't feel happy about him being at my club let alone making him a marter and singing his name every time he warms up / touches the ball. Yeah he served his time (however little that time may be) and has to live with what he's done but I think its a very poor choice of the management to bring him here today, above all else it's very disrespectfull to Coventry as a City.

CovFan

I think it strikes an emotional chord with people from Coventry more because it could have been their family members involved in the accident.

VisitingPie

I've been respectful because I didn't want to get into a battle, not because I wanted to win one, honestly. I am absolutely aware that playing in Cov and getting booed etc is very different to other games. You have every right, and indeed should, seeing as the man he killed was one of your own, have expressed your feelings towards him. I did want you to know a bit about why he is thought of so highly at Notts and what he's done to give something back. I didn't expect this to change your opinion of him at all.

To be honest, I'm just relieved he kept his head down and didn't react like he does at other games to being booed. Had that happened I would have been extremely uncomfortable to say the least.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I've been respectful because I didn't want to get into a battle, not because I wanted to win one, honestly. I am absolutely aware that playing in Cov and getting booed etc is very different to other games. You have every right, and indeed should, seeing as the man he killed was one of your own, have expressed your feelings towards him. I did want you to know a bit about why he is thought of so highly at Notts and what he's done to give something back. I didn't expect this to change your opinion of him at all.

To be honest, I'm just relieved he kept his head down and didn't react like he does at other games to being booed. Had that happened I would have been extremely uncomfortable to say the least.
How does he normally react?

mark82

Notts County, disgusting little club along with Oldham with some appalling fans. Don't condone Football violence but on this occasion I'll buy a pint for anybody that managed to brick a car window with a lee Hughes mask in it.

Far from a disgusting little club. You are basing this on the actions of a handful of fans. I have always been welcome when I have been to County games (my Grandpa was a County fan).

wingy

I was just glad i did'nt have to witness tha t bloody Stupid Morris dance /Jig he does ,cos he would have scored ,Jeez can you just imagine the mood.

mark82

I was just glad i did'nt have to witness tha t bloody Stupid Morris dance /Jig he does ,cos he would have scored ,Jeez can you just imagine the mood.

He wouldn't have celebrated. He didn't join in with their goal celebrations.

VisitingPie

Let's just say the fact he didn't celebrate the goal and was the first down the tunnel is not his usual behaviour at all, so he had obviously given this some thought.

redsox

Facebook User
Let's just say the fact he didn't celebrate the goal and was the first down the tunnel is not his usual behaviour at all, so he had obviously given this some thought.

He's made his share of bad decisions, maybe it was just time for a little thought?:thinking about:

Midlandlatic

Well every club has its tools!

Black6Osprey

Notts County showed a complete lack of empathy and morality today and I don't think a club with more bollocks than ours would have let this pass today.

I for one am disappointed and angry that the club allowed it happen without a word.

I'd compare it to giving the Chief of South Yorks Police from the Hillsborough disaster and lap of honour round Anfield.

Whether its 96 people or 1 it doesn't matter the guy killed someone and ran off hoping to somehow get away with it.

Grendel

Notts County showed a complete lack of empathy and morality today and I don't think a club with more bollocks than ours would have let this pass today.

I for one am disappointed and angry that the club allowed it happen without a word.

I'd compare it to giving the Chief of South Yorks Police from the Hillsborough disaster and lap of honour round Anfield.

Whether its 96 people or 1 it doesn't matter the guy killed someone and ran off hoping to somehow get away with it.

In some respects I agree but what actually can the club do?

He has played a lot of matches since his release.

The comparison is not valid as within the realms of the law he has served a sentence the law deemed appropriate.

Grendel

Far from a disgusting little club. You are basing this on the actions of a handful of fans. I have always been welcome when I have been to County games (my Grandpa was a County fan).

Agreed. Used to go to a lot of their games when I lived there. A family friendly club.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why not wind them up? A good part of football is banter.

Hughesy could drive donuts in a little shriner's car around the center circle to celebrate his goals for all I care. And if it annoys sore losers, all the better.

A quote from a proud Notts County fan

Some people are beyond help

tbf quite a few are saying he shouldn't have travelled

Users who are viewing this thread