Just watched all the goals we've conceded: who's to blame? (1 Viewer)

EalingSB

Maybe not the best way to spend a couple of hours but I wanted to watch all the goals we've conceded this season to see how many came from obvious mistakes.

Every team has their own hard-luck stories but there are so many where we should have done better. Couple of crackers scored against us too - Swift's superb free-kick for Reading the best of them.

Too many soft goals from set-pieces; Shipley leaving a Bristol City player unmarked from a corner in the opening game setting the tone.

Most frustrating are the ones where we've needlessly played the ball around at the back, or across the defence. At one point, four of five goals scored against us were penalties, too.

Hyam and Wilson are involved in plenty, a couple of errant Sheaf passes led to goals, and there's a fair few from McFadzean thrown in.

The majority do come from down the left but it doesn't stand out as being obvious; plus McCallum was playing right-back in some early games.

Low points for me: Biamou's pass backwards in the closing seconds at Forest; both goals v Norwich and the second goal at Luton.

DateResultScorer (min)Down what sideError and culpritShould have done better
12-SepBristol City 2-1 CovPaterson (1)RightNoPask/McFadzean
Kalas (82)Corner rightShipley not marking from corner
18-SepCov 3-2 QPRDykes (41)PenMcFadzean mistimed tackle
Barbet (75)Corner rightDabo and Østigård collided
02-OctCov 1-3 BournemouthLerma (7)RightNo
Gosling (51)LeftNoHamer/Sheaf/Giles
Gosling (60)RightHamer missed tackle
17-OctBrentford 2-0 CovToney (46)LeftGiles inexplicably fell over
Toney (55)RightSheaf poor pass
20-OctCov 1-1 SwanseaAyew (41)RightNoMcFadzean/Rose
24-OctCov 0-4 BlackburnArmstrong (15)CentreRose mistimed tackle as last man
Armstrong (49)CentreMcFadzean didn't intercept through ball
Elliott (62)CentreHyam terrible pass and McFadz slow to intercept
Gallagher (88)RightNoPask/Kelly
27-OctMboro 2-0 CovAssombalonga (81)CentreWalker needlessly lost possession in own halfHyam/McFadzean
Spence (95)LeftNoMaroši/McCallum
30-OctCov 3-2 ReadingLucas Joao (66)CentreSheaf chipped pass to no one
Puscas (90+2)RightNoHyam/Østigård
04-NovForest 2-1 CovMcKenna (30)Left FKNo
Taylor (90+7)PenBiamou terrible pass from attacking positionMcFadzean and Maroši slow
07-NovWatford 3-2 CovGray (53)RightMcCallum not picking out crossfield ballØstigård
Troost-Ekong (66)Corner leftNoØstigård
Sarr (83)Pen leftO'Hare raised hands in area
27-NovNorwich 1-1 CovVrancic (27)Pen(Wilson harsh foul)Hyam
01-DecDerby 1-1 CovKazim Richards (83)LeftNoGiles
05-DecCov 3-1 RotherhamBarlaser (85)PenWilson needless high foot
12-DecWycombe 1-2 CovJacobson (61)Pen rightSheaf soft challenge in the area
19-DecSheff Wed 1-0 CovLees (67)CentreWilson daft pass, Østigård poor tackle
29-DecPreston 2-0 CovJohnson (18)LeftSheaf caught in possession edge of boxHyam (Wilson?)
Maguire (53)Left FKHyam/Wilson/Østigård/Godden - comedy of errors defending
02-JanMillwall 1-2 CovWallace (74)PenHyam mistimed tackle & poor positioning
19-JanReading 3-0 CovLucas Joao (16)RightToo easy for striker to outmuscle Hyam
Rinomhota (46)LeftØstigård pass across defence intercepted
Swift (72)Centre FKHyam and McFadzean more needless balls across defence
30-JanBirmingham 1-1 CovBela (18)Pen leftMcCallum mistimed tackle in area
02-FebCov 1-2 ForestGrabban (22)RightPask woeful attempt to make tackleØstigård
Rose OG (53)LeftRose volleyed into own net
13-FebCardiff 3-1 CovMoore (31)LeftØstigård
Moore (38)LeftMaroši and Østigård collide from long throwJames/Østigård in build-up
Murphy (46)LeftSoft foul by Hyam, then caught out by quick FK
17-FebCov 0-2 NorwichPukki (28)CentreHyam missed straight ball through defenceO'Hare/Allen in build-up
Buendia (45)CentreMcFadzean and Rose not clearing, pass interceptedShipley
24-FebSwansea 1-0 CovCabango (54)Corner leftWilson absolutely nowhere near corner
27-FebBlackburn 1-1 CovBrereton (27)LeftHyam air kick in box after cross from rightMcCallum
02-MarCov 1-2 MboroHall (41)Left FKWilson nowhere near FK into boxMcCallum
Saville (87)Left to rightRose and Dabo too static in box, no challenge by RoseO'Hare/Wilson
16-MarLuton 2-0 CovBree (23)RightWilson weak attempt to save low shotDabo/Østigård
Adebayo (42)Pen leftWilson dropped cross after calamitous defensive passingDabo/McFadz/Hyam/Mcallum/Østigård

EalingSB

You have gone to truly incredible lengths to make us all feel sad / angry and even included a table. I admire and salute you 😁
Sorry! It did cross my mind that it might still be a bit raw and maybe I should have waited until everyone is bored with no game at the weekend.

Hobo

Trouble with who is to blame is it often ends up with goalkeeper, centre half fullback wingback?

Often the rot has started further up the pitch or how keeper has distributed?

Fans tend to follow the ball and lack the bigger picture. That is before you take into account their preconceived allowcation of blame.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Maybe not the best way to spend a couple of hours but I wanted to watch all the goals we've conceded this season to see how many came from obvious mistakes.

Every team has their own hard-luck stories but there are so many where we should have done better. Couple of crackers scored against us too - Swift's superb free-kick for Reading the best of them.

Too many soft goals from set-pieces; Shipley leaving a Bristol City player unmarked from a corner in the opening game setting the tone.

Most frustrating are the ones where we've needlessly played the ball around at the back, or across the defence. At one point, four of five goals scored against us were penalties, too.

Hyam and Wilson are involved in plenty, a couple of errant Sheaf passes led to goals, and there's a fair few from McFadzean thrown in.

The majority do come from down the left but it doesn't stand out as being obvious; plus McCallum was playing right-back in some early games.

Low points for me: Biamou's pass backwards in the closing seconds at Forest; both goals v Norwich and the second goal at Luton.

That's quite some analysis there. I wonder if MR and his coaching team have something similar? Given how many times we make the same mistakes you have to question it.

EalingSB

Trouble with who is to blame is it often ends up with goalkeeper, centre half fullback wingback?

Often the rot has started further up the pitch or how keeper has distributed?

Fans tend to follow the ball and lack the bigger picture. That is before you take into account their preconceived allowcation of blame.
This is true and there were some where I put some blame on other players for giving the ball away in the build-up; there were a couple for O’Hare near the opposition area and I thought McCallum played a part in Luton’s goal by needlessly throwing it back from the halfway line to Hyam near our box. This wasn’t supposed to be a detailed analysis though, more a quick look through and hopefully done without prejudice.

Gregbant

DateResultScorer (min)Down what sideError and culpritShould have done better
12-SepBristol City 2-1 CovPaterson (1)RightNoPask/McFadzean
Kalas (82)Corner rightShipley not marking from corner
18-SepCov 3-2 QPRDykes (41)PenMcFadzean mistimed tackle
Barbet (75)Corner rightDabo and Østigård collided
02-OctCov 1-3 BournemouthLerma (7)RightNo
Gosling (51)LeftNoHamer/Sheaf/Giles
Gosling (60)RightHamer missed tackle
17-OctBrentford 2-0 CovToney (46)LeftGiles inexplicably fell over
Toney (55)RightSheaf poor pass
20-OctCov 1-1 SwanseaAyew (41)RightNoMcFadzean/Rose
24-OctCov 0-4 BlackburnArmstrong (15)CentreRose mistimed tackle as last man
Armstrong (49)CentreMcFadzean didn't intercept through ball
Elliott (62)CentreHyam terrible pass and McFadz slow to intercept
Gallagher (88)RightNoPask/Kelly
27-OctMboro 2-0 CovAssombalonga (81)CentreWalker needlessly lost possession in own halfHyam/McFadzean
Spence (95)LeftNoMaroši/McCallum
30-OctCov 3-2 ReadingLucas Joao (66)CentreSheaf chipped pass to no one
Puscas (90+2)RightNoHyam/Østigård
04-NovForest 2-1 CovMcKenna (30)Left FKNo
Taylor (90+7)PenBiamou terrible pass from attacking positionMcFadzean and Maroši slow
07-NovWatford 3-2 CovGray (53)RightMcCallum not picking out crossfield ballØstigård
Troost-Ekong (66)Corner leftNoØstigård
Sarr (83)Pen leftO'Hare raised hands in area
27-NovNorwich 1-1 CovVrancic (27)Pen(Wilson harsh foul)Hyam
01-DecDerby 1-1 CovKazim Richards (83)LeftNoGiles
05-DecCov 3-1 RotherhamBarlaser (85)PenWilson needless high foot
12-DecWycombe 1-2 CovJacobson (61)Pen rightSheaf soft challenge in the area
19-DecSheff Wed 1-0 CovLees (67)CentreWilson daft pass, Østigård poor tackle
29-DecPreston 2-0 CovJohnson (18)LeftSheaf caught in possession edge of boxHyam (Wilson?)
Maguire (53)Left FKHyam/Wilson/Østigård/Godden - comedy of errors defending
02-JanMillwall 1-2 CovWallace (74)PenHyam mistimed tackle & poor positioning
19-JanReading 3-0 CovLucas Joao (16)RightToo easy for striker to outmuscle Hyam
Rinomhota (46)LeftØstigård pass across defence intercepted
Swift (72)Centre FKHyam and McFadzean more needless balls across defence
30-JanBirmingham 1-1 CovBela (18)Pen leftMcCallum mistimed tackle in area
02-FebCov 1-2 ForestGrabban (22)RightPask woeful attempt to make tackleØstigård
Rose OG (53)LeftRose volleyed into own net
13-FebCardiff 3-1 CovMoore (31)LeftØstigård
Moore (38)LeftMaroši and Østigård collide from long throwJames/Østigård in build-up
Murphy (46)LeftSoft foul by Hyam, then caught out by quick FK
17-FebCov 0-2 NorwichPukki (28)CentreHyam missed straight ball through defenceO'Hare/Allen in build-up
Buendia (45)CentreMcFadzean and Rose not clearing, pass interceptedShipley
24-FebSwansea 1-0 CovCabango (54)Corner leftWilson absolutely nowhere near corner
27-FebBlackburn 1-1 CovBrereton (27)LeftHyam air kick in box after cross from rightMcCallum
02-MarCov 1-2 MboroHall (41)Left FKWilson nowhere near FK into boxMcCallum
Saville (87)Left to rightRose and Dabo too static in box, no challenge by RoseO'Hare/Wilson
16-MarLuton 2-0 CovBree (23)RightWilson weak attempt to save low shotDabo/Østigård
Adebayo (42)Pen leftWilson dropped cross after calamitous defensive passingDabo/McFadz/Hyam/Mcallum/Østigård

Wow that is some effort, what I have taken from that is Sheaf may cost us a lot more than £750k

Frostie

For reference, the first Reading goal here is apparently down to Sheaf...

I know, it's ridiculous 🤦🏼‍♂️

The highlight cuts it off but yes Sheaf did give the ball away but it was just inside our half & he was trying to play into the feet of Biamou who was on a different wavelength & just stood there, allowing the Reading player to nick it.
They still had to play a splitting pass & then 3 defenders back off & allow one of the best strikers in the division a free shot at goal from 20 yards. Yet still Sheaf takes all the blame. Literally absurd.

EalingSB

The highlight cuts it off but yes Sheaf did give the ball away but it was just inside our half & he was trying to play into the feet of Biamou who was on a different wavelength & just stood there, allowing the Reading player to nick it.
They still had to play a splitting pass & then 3 defenders back off & allow one of the best strikers in the division a free shot at goal from 20 yards. Yet still Sheaf takes all the blame. Literally absurd.
A bit harsh. As you say, you can’t tell from the highlight Shmmeee posted but you can see it on the match replay. It was a really good move after the Sheaf error admittedly but they wouldn’t have scored without his influence. This is supposed to give a flavour - obviously everyone is going to have their own opinion on goals.

Frostie

A bit harsh. As you say, you can’t tell from the highlight Shmmeee posted but you can see it on the match replay. It was a really good move after the Sheaf error admittedly but they wouldn’t have scored without his influence. This is supposed to give a flavour - obviously everyone is going to have their own opinion on goals.

I understand & appreciate that you've gone to a fair bit of effort (torture) sitting through them all again!
My point is just that it's too simplistic & not applied with consistency. Almost every goal scored in football is attributable to an error of sorts by someone or usually multiple people.

Of course, if we're seeing a regular reoccurrence of the same type of goal conceded that points to a problem tactically. This is what happened with the 2 early season goals conceded from corners; we were trying to play a zonal system & it created confusion about whose responsibility certain balls in were. We identified it & changed to a hybrid zonal/man marking system & have been better (not brilliant) since.

fatso

You need to include Mcfadzeen giving away pens and getting sent off and getting suspended.
That lot needs a chart of it's own, the clown is a one man walking disaster.

PVA

Whilst I understand the aim of the thread, and appreciate the effort, some of those are a bit harsh and some of them you just have to put down to the opposition being better than us.

Also it seems a bit unfair to point the finger at the defenders when the same could be done for the attackers. A list of all the gilt edge chances we missed, bad passes in the final third etc etc

chiefdave

Do unforced errors and / or defensive mistakes get record as a stat? Would be interesting to see how many goals we've conceded from those and how we compare to other clubs.

Bertola

4 of the last 6 down to Wilson... Do people still think he's better than Marosi?

I will agree, that Marosi's confidence looked shot last time he played... but i'd still have him as first choice

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Whilst I understand the aim of the thread, and appreciate the effort, some of those are a bit harsh and some of them you just have to put down to the opposition being better than us.

Also it seems a bit unfair to point the finger at the defenders when the same could be done for the attackers. A list of all the gilt edge chances we missed, bad passes in the final third etc etc
I’m ok with it if the other side is better (Swansea. Away) my concern is a lot of the mistakes made at the start of the season are still being made now.

with the jump in quality I’d expect mistakes but I’d expect them to learn from it.

you’re right that blame should also be attributed tothe attackers because ultimately the missed chances puts more pressure on the defence

fernandopartridge

How many times does that happen with Biamou in particular? He is so poor at showiing for the goal with his back to goal. He doesn't anticipate well at all. Baka is far better at it.

fernandopartridge

I’m ok with it if the other side is better (Swansea. Away) my concern is a lot of the mistakes made at the start of the season are still being made now.

with the jump in quality I’d expect mistakes but I’d expect them to learn from it.

you’re right that blame should also be attributed tothe attackers because ultimately the missed chances puts more pressure on the defence

We're not making mistakes anywhere near as much. 10 clean sheets this season 9 of which have been since that Reading game.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We're not making mistakes anywhere near as much. 10 clean sheets this season 9 of which have been since that Reading game.
We’re not making as much mistakes but we’re frustratingly still making more mistakes than you would like. They get punished at this level... we’re more so finding that out - take the Luton game. We miss easy chances - Wilson drops a bollock but Luton score. Fine lines and all that

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

If you are going to be that harsh on Sheaf, you probably need to be as harsh on other players who have misplaced a pass a good ten plus seconds before the eventual goal for consistency. I imagine you will see a lot of other names crop up.

Frostie

Do unforced errors and / or defensive mistakes get record as a stat? Would be interesting to see how many goals we've conceded from those and how we compare to other clubs.

Some sources provide 'Error Leading to Goal' & 'Error Leading to Chance' stats but due to the usually subjective nature (hence the responses in this thread) they are ridiculously forgiving to the point of being practically worthless if I'm honest. It has to be a clear, obvious error solely attributable to one individual (and even then you could debate some of them).

Just 3 of our players have been attributed 1 'Leading to Goal' all season (Marosi, McFadzean, Østigård). There's a couple of goalkeepers in the league on 3, highest outfield player is on 2.

KersleyDigs

This analysis seems to have edited out a lot of McFadzean's errors, and blamed him dwelling on the ball being caught on the player who made the pass. McFadzean is responsible for minimum 5/6 himself.

I do like McFadzean's attitude and commitment, he has had some immense games, but we need a better experienced player that is less clumsy if we can upgrade in summer (assuming we stay up)

Users who are viewing this thread