Just had a strange phone call (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

it's been pretty much forward momentum for the club since Robins returned. But no club keeps continually moving forward without occasionally taking a backward step.
I think too many clubs are quick to get shot of the manager when that first backward step occurs.

I'm hoping we resist that temptation if we do have a poor season.
I think Grendel is saying we need to stay up at all costs because our very survival depends on it and if that means binning Robins to get a new manager bounce to achieve it then so be it.

Personally I don't agree and I'm hoping that the owners can sort out the ground situation so a relegation doesn't jeopardise our existence.
Way back when all this kicked off, there were noises about how we wanted to introduce a Crewe model. Well we have kind of done that. There's certainly an argument that keeping the club bouncing between Championship and top half League One, with players attracted to come here as they'll develop in a good style of play, and be sold for profit for the club, would be more profitable than hoof and survive.

clint van damme

Way back when all this kicked off, there were noises about how we wanted to introduce a Crewe model. Well we have kind of done that. There's certainly an argument that keeping the club bouncing between Championship and top half League One, with players attracted to come here as they'll develop in a good style of play, and be sold for profit for the club, would be more profitable than hoof and survive.

it's a decent premise and it's certainly been working up to now as you say. I think Grendels argument is we can't afford to be back in League one, I think he's probably right, certainly for more than a season. But I don't think pulling the trigger on a manager the first time we face a bit of adversity is the answer.

NorthernWisdom

it's a decent premise and it's certainly been working up to now as you say. I think Grendels argument is we can't afford to be back in League one, I think he's probably right, certainly for more than a season. But I don't think pulling the trigger on a manager the first time we face a bit of adversity is the answer.
But the Crewe system could be more profitable overall relegating back to League One, than staying up and not developing players of value.

We know what happens with the spiral of ever decreasing circles. We've been there, done that. May as well try something different.

clint van damme

But the Crewe system could be more profitable overall relegating back to League One, than staying up and not developing players of value.

We know what happens with the spiral of ever decreasing circles. We've been there, done that. May as well try something different.

totally agree. I also don't think it makes sense to build up a successful recruitment model and attractive playing style and toss them in the bin at the first sign of trouble to bring in a Warnock type whose football makes your eyes bleed.

Brighton Sky Blue

I guess there'd be less reliance on such a model if we were in Coventry in front of 15-20k a week rather than in Birmingham on half that

Grendel

Great what a prospect - the Crewe model

Grendel

It isn’t - take a look at Barnsley’s last set of accounts

Grendel

This thread is pointless, just like the same thread from last year. Attention seeking at its worst

You seem to have made more posts on it than any other I can recall so it’s got your attention

Liquid Gold

I think we have a mix of that and Brentford's system, bringing in undervalued talent from abroad and once they prove it selling on for a vastly inflated figure allowing the club to run sustainably and reinvest in the team. We have the added benefit of an academy with a proven record of developing young talent and giving it a chance in the first team. That might have to be done more through the loan market if we maintain our status at this level now though.

Finham

Honestly I think you have me confused with someone else and I have no idea as to what you are trying to say.

Most of the time I violently disagree with your total nonsense but vaguely understand you are a narcissist looking for attention from behind a keyboard - so these days I just mostly ignore you. Seriously not worth it.

I think he's alluding to this guy- Matthew Hopkins - Wikipedia

He's also portrayed by Vincent Price in that 1968 horror film Witchfinder General (Hopkins, not Grendel).

Grendel

Grendel

Back to the topic G, what's your threshold for calling the taxi?

The basic point here is we should survive. I don’t think Rotherham or Wycombe have had the money we had in close season and we finished higher than them. We’ve another team on (12) and also Barnsley and Luton are equally limited. It’s a far easier season to survive than if say we had been promoted when Mowbray fluffed it

So relegation is failure and this manager hasn’t got a great CV at this level. So relegation to me is failure.

If we are competitive throughout we stick with what we have but if we are falling behind the above teams that’s a concern as there’s no reason for it

steve cooper

It's been 11 days short of a year since we last lost at St Andrews before Friday. MR took us up as champions, losing only 3 games, and I think only Jurgen Klopp had a (marginally) better record across the 4 divisions. Yet we are talking of sacking him at some point in the future if results don't go the way we think they should.
I'm glad I'm not a football manager

Skyblueweeman

The basic point here is we should survive. I don’t think Rotherham or Wycombe have had the money we had in close season and we finished higher than them. We’ve another team on (12) and also Barnsley and Luton are equally limited. It’s a far easier season to survive than if say we had been promoted when Mowbray fluffed it

So relegation is failure and this manager hasn’t got a great CV at this level. So relegation to me is failure.

If we are competitive throughout we stick with what we have but if we are falling behind the above teams that’s a concern as there’s no reason for it

OK, so I'll ask you again...So why mention about a taxi in 8 weeks??

capel & collindridge

Had a call from a taxi firm asking where he needs to go.

I told him I’d provisionally booked one for 8 weeks time so don’t bother me now but keep the engine turning over
I know you were being deliberately vague and implying to the unnamed taxi firm that you have a position of influence or importance within CCFC that your clearly don't have, but if MR can trace this taxi call back to you, wouldn't he have a good claim for destructive dismissal?

Grendel

I know you were being deliberately vague and implying to the unnamed taxi firm that you have a position of influence or importance within CCFC that your clearly don't have, but if MR can trace this taxi call back to you, wouldn't he have a good claim for destructive dismissal?

What exactly is a destructive dismissal

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

giphy.gif

Just here for the banter.

Users who are viewing this thread