Julien Dacosta - CONFIRMED (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Stick Doodah in goal and play whatisname up front. Thingymabob could play an attacking role from the back near the touchline thingy. Then bring in VAR to mix things up a bit.

robbiekeane

Id say that suggesting Trent Alexander Arnold at CM is a reasonable suggestion so saying another RB could play there isnt that far fetched. Granted TAA is suggested as an option there due to his technical attributes, whereas Dabo's main strengths are probably physicality and aggression, although he has shown really good technique and has an excellent picture of the game in his head, and physicality and aggression arent exactly a bad thing in the middle of the park.

I wouldn't play him at CM purely because he has performed so well in one of the most important positions on the pitch in our formation, but wouldnt say him playing CM is a bad enough call to be shot down the way it has when its clearly just a throwaway idea.
Think it’s more the aggressive resistance/denial afterwards that makes people bring it up. Also not really an isolated incident

shmmeee

Fucking hell, make a point but comparing forum debate to autism is a dick move even for you

Piss off, I’m on the spectrum and it’s fine usage.

I hate it when people pretend not to understand how metaphors work for outrage. Saying something is like something is not equating their importance, otherwise you’d need to scrub the majority of great literature. After all comparing fascist regimes that killed millions with a bunch of farm animals must be terrible.

Garryb80

Read the post again arsehole
Which one? The ridiculous dabo suggestion? You can't debate you just throw insults around. Clearly you opinion isn't shared and you go all defensive calling us morons and arseholes. I'm sure your family would be proud.

Magwitch

Which one? The ridiculous dabo suggestion? You can't debate you just throw insults around. Clearly you opinion isn't shared and you go all defensive calling us morons and arseholes. I'm sure your family would be proud.
Find the thread where I have suggested Dabo SHOULD play midfield and I’ll gladly discuss it with you

covcity4life

Like if Kelly has Walsh's passing attributes I could understand an argument to make him a cb as a ball player in the 3

Dabo I jist see nothing to think why move him from rwb to midfield in a box. It's not like kelly and Walsh bombed back and forth non stop. We let the ball do the work

mr_monkey

I hate it when people pretend not to understand how metaphors work for outrage. Saying something is like something is not equating their importance, otherwise you’d need to scrub the majority of great literature. After all comparing fascist regimes that killed millions with a bunch of farm animals must be terrible.

I understand completely how metaphors work thank you very much, just think it's fucking abhorrent to compare forum debate with something like autism... Tbf you being on the spectrum makes a hell of a lot of sense, you should go and get some professional help for that mate but just because you are on it doesn't mean you can use it as an insult to people who don't agree with you, that makes you an utter bellend

capel & collindridge

What about moving MR to play Mark the gateman. Then when our season unravelled, as it would, we could all talk to him about who to bring in to put things right. We'd probably get relegated but the discussion on SBT would be really well-informed. No silly ideas on here at all. Ever again. And, because we know we get listened to, and all the best ideas about the Sky Blues start here, in no time at all we could have a brilliant team! Then all we'd need to do is to demand that MR is put back in charge. And....I am being deadly serious here... he wouldn't have gone by the end of the season (wrong thread I know) and we could be champions again and again and again (like it was Groundhog Day).

Liquid Gold

I was very much for playing out from the back and the change to 433 but against a back 5 if only because I've never seen it work for us. Glad I was wrong.

TTG

giphy.gif

win9nut

I agree, similes certainly have a place in debate and conversation.

However, I hate it when people throw out "light hearted" (for want of a better description) comparisons about retarded people and autism, when describing the fallacy of someone's arguments, whether that person is on the spectrum or not.

You're obviously at the high functioning end of the spectrum, but some aren't so lucky. Please remember that when casually throwing these comparisons around.

I usually try and ignore it, but it is creeping into peoples arguments more and more on here.

Briles

Firstly, everyone is on the "spectrum". I think he was making a point about people becoming fixated on something (a major trait of autism)

Back to playing Dabo in CM, his pace would be wasted as well as his crossing ability. He needs to play out wide.

shmmeee

I agree, similes certainly have a place in debate and conversation.

However, I hate it when people throw out "light hearted" (for want of a better description) comparisons about retarded people and autism, when describing the fallacy of someone's arguments, whether that person is on the spectrum or not.

You're obviously at the high functioning end of the spectrum, but some aren't so lucky. Please remember that when casually throwing these comparisons around.

I usually try and ignore it, but it is creeping into peoples arguments more and more on here.

Yeah I am high functioning and one of my bug bears is the condescending way all autistic people are treated as if they’re low functioning and in need of protection as special snowflakes TBH. Many many autistic people are great and robust. My partner is also on the spectrum and her brother is far further down it, we joke about it in these terms (“autistic screeching”, “don’t be so autistic”, etc) and it normalises it in the same way I take the piss out of a mates big ears or being short. The fact is that most of these phrases likely comes from autistic people themselves makes me uncomfortable with others feeing they need to police the language TBH. I’ve got a mate in a wheelchair and we joke about being “crippled” too. That’s actual inclusion IMO, I treat him the same as anyone else I’m mates with and I don’t walk on eggshells.

The wider point still stands even if o wasn’t autistic, which is this level of language policing is ridiculous. Ive had it before using the word “cancer” when that’s the proper usage of the word and the disease is named after it! Same with “rape”, these words have multiple meanings and our language is beautiful because of how it can use them. Stopping someone saying “you’re being autistic” or “Sisu are a cancer on the club” or “Joy has raped the club” does literally nothing to help autistic people, cancer patients, or sexual assault survivors, it’s just Poe faced virtue signalling that if anything serves to further other minorities and make people more on edge around them.

mr_monkey

Yeah I am high functioning and one of my bug bears is the condescending way all autistic people are treated as if they’re low functioning and in need of protection as special snowflakes TBH. Many many autistic people are great and robust. My partner is also on the spectrum and her brother is far further down it, we joke about it in these terms (“autistic screeching”, “don’t be so autistic”, etc) and it normalises it in the same way I take the piss out of a mates big ears or being short. The fact is that most of these phrases likely comes from autistic people themselves makes me uncomfortable with others feeing they need to police the language TBH. I’ve got a mate in a wheelchair and we joke about being “crippled” too. That’s actual inclusion IMO, I treat him the same as anyone else I’m mates with and I don’t walk on eggshells.

The wider point still stands even if o wasn’t autistic, which is this level of language policing is ridiculous. Ive had it before using the word “cancer” when that’s the proper usage of the word and the disease is named after it! Same with “rape”, these words have multiple meanings and our language is beautiful because of how it can use them. Stopping someone saying “you’re being autistic” or “Sisu are a cancer on the club” or “Joy has raped the club” does literally nothing to help autistic people, cancer patients, or sexual assault survivors, it’s just Poe faced virtue signalling that if anything serves to further other minorities and make people more on edge around them.

Which is fine for you but for a hell of a lot of people who find it offensive and a terrible way to describe something (the English language is a wonderful thing with many ways of describing things rather than using a condition that affects many many people as a derogatory term)

I'm lost in your thinking about how not using that word as a derogatory term would be worse for people with the condition than using it in the way you did.

You use your mate as an example, how would he feel if you used crippled as a derogatory term to describe people who don't agree with you as you did with autistic? Its not the use of the word that people have a problem with its the way and the intention that it was used, surely you can see that

Magwitch

I’ve worked in and around autistim and have done for years, it’s one of the most miss understood and neglected conditions.
Covers so many different type and forms.

usskyblue

I think, the point here is...it’s not all about you and how you interact with people in your family circle. It’s about understanding that all people are different in their values, their understanding, their reactions, the way they perceive things and, ultimately, the way they behave.

What you said about your own autism experience isn’t wrong, what’s wrong here is the lack of understanding that not everyone shares your way of thinking, and then calling them a ‘snowflake’ because of it... that’s just a tad Trumpesque.

So, with all that in mind, if you’ve offended someone that doesn’t share your light hearted, lardy-dar autism-angle, apologize ...so we can all move on and be offended by something football related...yeah ?

Last edited:

win9nut

I do agree with you to an extent, I'm happy to banter and take the mickey out of my mates for their physical and (to a degree) mental flaws.
Many autistic people don't understand the social nuances involved in that sort of banter however, so that type of language just serves as a barrier that a lot of autistic people have to using forums and getting involved in discussion generally.
I hope you can see my point.

fatso

I think, the point here is...it’s not all about you and how you interact with people in your family circle. It’s about understanding that all people are different in their values, their understanding, their reactions, the way they perceive things and, ultimately, the way they behave.

What you said about your own autism experience isn’t wrong, what’s wrong here is the lack of understanding that not everyone shares your way of thinking, and then calling them a ‘snowflake’ because of it... that’s just a tad Trumpesque.

So, with all that in mind, if you’ve offended someone that doesn’t share your light hearted, lardy-dar autism-angle, apologize ...so we can all move on and be offended by something football related...yeah ?
But surely, the problem is, every fucker and his dog is literally just queuing up to take offence at every possible opportunity, and then they start bleating until they get an apology.
If someone chooses to take offence when none was intended, then that’s their problem, and they should look at themselves. If your not sure if offence was intended or not, then choose not to be offended and get on with it.
If offence was intended then choose to react or choose not to, either way stop crying like a little puffy girl in a pretty white blouse you big wussy snowflake! (no offence)

mr_monkey

But surely, the problem is, every fucker and his dog is literally just queuing up to take offence at every possible opportunity, and then they start bleating until they get an apology.
If someone chooses to take offence when none was intended, then that’s their problem, and they should look at themselves. If your not sure if offence was intended or not, then choose not to be offended and get on with it.
If offence was intended then choose to react or choose not to, either way stop crying like a little puffy girl in a pretty white blouse you big wussy snowflake! (no offence)

Offence was definitely indented as it was used in a derogatory way, that's the point and he tried to justify his shitty behaviour by saying he was on the spectrum and he wasn't offended so it's ok

It's attitudes like yours that is one of the major reasons why the world is in such a fucking mess at the moment. Do or say shitty things and accept that you are rightly going to be called out for it as it should have been since day one, unfortunately people seem to think that they have some kind of devine right to an opinion when they have no fucking idea what they are taking about and get shitty when they get called out for it

usskyblue

None taken m8

IMO there’s nothing new about people being offended. What’s more recent is people going after the offended for not conforming to their standards (or lack there of). So much so that the very act of ‘being offended’ is classed as weak or thin skinned.

Empathy has become a lost fucking art...and the problem is, it’s the basis of understanding each other...and it’s not exactly hard to offer either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread