Julien Dacosta - CONFIRMED (1 Viewer)

fatso

None taken m8

IMO there’s nothing new about people being offended. What’s more recent is people going after the offended for not conforming to their standards (or lack there of). So much so that the very act of ‘being offended’ is classed as weak or thin skinned.

Empathy had become a lost fucking art...and the problem is, it’s the basis of understanding each other.
Not sure I agree, when I was 7 or eight I would cry if I was called fat (and every other fat related slur you could imagine) but later in life that stopped when I naturally lost the puppy fat and “conformed” to what some considered an acceptable appearance, now in mid life and carrying some timber, I occasionally hear the odd fat related comment once again. However, I’ve never taken offence, no matter if there was some malice behind the occasional barb.
At my age I think it would be churlish to get upset over something someone says.
I choose to ignore it, or laugh at the ignorance.
I don’t need or want “empathy” from anyone, I just don’t surround myself with ignorant people.
And I’m sure I’ve offended some people on my way through this life, and there are many who’s opinions differ from mine, but I’ve never meant to cause offence, and can honestly say there is no one I wouldn’t share a drink with.
I can’t help thinking, if your easily upset by an ignorant comment, what the hell are you going to be like if you loose your job or your home due to a political decision?

mr_monkey

Not sure I agree, when I was 7 or eight I would cry if I was called fat (and every other fat related slur you could imagine) but later in life that stopped when I naturally lost the puppy fat and “conformed” to what some considered an acceptable appearance, now in mid life and carrying some timber, I occasionally hear the odd fat related comment once again. However, I’ve never taken offence, no matter if there was some malice behind the occasional barb.
At my age I think it would be churlish to get upset over something someone says.
I don’t need or want “empathy” from anyone, I just don’t surround myself with ignorant people.
And I’m sure I’ve offended some people on my way through this life, and there are many who’s opinions differ from mine, but I’ve never meant to cause offence, and can honestly say there is no one I wouldn’t share a drink with.
I can’t help thinking, if your easily upset by an ignorant comment, what the hell are you going to be like if you loose your job or your home due to a political decision?

So your answer is just to ignore ignorance and not call out shitty behaviour? Fair fucks mate if that's how you want to live your life, personally I want to try and make the world a better place and hope that people can learn and grow from being called out for shitty behaviour, it's the only way as a species we are going to get better

usskyblue

You do realise that you’re basically being offended by people being offended?

For me, the disconnect is the way people can’t accept that everyone is different.

It’s the same in every aspect of life. Republican / Democrat...Religious / Atheist... all clamoring to be ‘right’. Being right is moot because life is totally personal.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah I am high functioning and one of my bug bears is the condescending way all autistic people are treated as if they’re low functioning and in need of protection as special snowflakes TBH. Many many autistic people are great and robust. My partner is also on the spectrum and her brother is far further down it, we joke about it in these terms (“autistic screeching”, “don’t be so autistic”, etc) and it normalises it in the same way I take the piss out of a mates big ears or being short. The fact is that most of these phrases likely comes from autistic people themselves makes me uncomfortable with others feeing they need to police the language TBH. I’ve got a mate in a wheelchair and we joke about being “crippled” too. That’s actual inclusion IMO, I treat him the same as anyone else I’m mates with and I don’t walk on eggshells.

The wider point still stands even if o wasn’t autistic, which is this level of language policing is ridiculous. Ive had it before using the word “cancer” when that’s the proper usage of the word and the disease is named after it! Same with “rape”, these words have multiple meanings and our language is beautiful because of how it can use them. Stopping someone saying “you’re being autistic” or “Sisu are a cancer on the club” or “Joy has raped the club” does literally nothing to help autistic people, cancer patients, or sexual assault survivors, it’s just Poe faced virtue signalling that if anything serves to further other minorities and make people more on edge around them.

I read a quote attributed to American 30's politician Huey Long last week that sent a shiver down my spine. Asked if he thought they'd ever have Fascism in America, he said "Sure-only we'll call it anti-Fascism".

Although of course he couldn't have forseen them actually having good old-fashioned straight-up fascism in the form of Trump, ha. I've seen the theory put forwards that people like him have actually found things much easier due to the reluctance to use words like Fascist to describe him-as that's not appropriate or politically correct term to use...

fatso

For me, the disconnect is the way people can’t accept that everyone is different.

It’s the same in every aspect of life. Republican / Democrat...Religious / Atheist... all clamoring to be ‘right’. Being right is moot because life is totally personal.
I like that bit about being offended by people being offended, I’m definitely going to use that and demand apologies.

fatso

So your answer is just to ignore ignorance and not call out shitty behaviour? Fair fucks mate if that's how you want to live your life, personally I want to try and make the world a better place and hope that people can learn and grow from being called out for shitty behaviour, it's the only way as a species we are going to get better
Why not just call him a c**t, tell him to fuck off, and get back to all things football?

PVA

I think he might start at lwb if we keep the same formation.... Seems to be very highly thought of

I'm not sure about that as he is predominantly a right back.

All of our width comes from our wing backs, assuming the same formation, so I really think we need a left footed LWB.

Unless of course he can use both feet, then yes I would agree with you.

mr_monkey

Why not just call him a c**t, tell him to fuck off, and get back to all things football?

Very fair point and that's exactly how i used to be, but then how does that help the next person that he says something to and the next etc...

mr_monkey

All of our width comes from our wing backs, assuming the same formation, so I really think we need a left footed LWB.

Im not sure but I just can't see him coming here just to be backup to dabo

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Can this just be moved onto a new thread or someone just make a convosation about it to explain with eachother why one is right and one is wrong please because this thread is about football and not politics and not arguing we should all come together at theses times and share respect because we all support Cov and we all want to talk about foofball if not then why you on a footballing thread

Ricketts

Yes, but you haven't. You've made this thread a worse place.

The funny thing is, you can't even see it.

mr_monkey

It's all good, I have no issue with people finding it funny/getting upset when they called out for shitty behaviour.

Tbf the thread was derailed not by me but by the person who decided to use autism as a derogatory insult to people who didnt agree with him and then got pissy when me and others pointed out that fact, if he hadn't done that then it wouldn't have happened ;)

Frostie

Rumour I heard is that Dabo's hip injury required an op & he could miss the start of the season so would expect Dacosta to start at RWB in that case.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Nah. Dabo and Dacosta is enough, with Pask able to fill in in dire emergencies (although like you I think he'll predominantly be CB now)

LWB is more of an issue if anything and we need to see what we might be able to do in terms of strikers - no massive strength in depth there at Championship level.

covcity4life

Agree

1lwb
1 st
1amc

3 MUST'S

Anything over that a bonus I guess.

Hopefully likes of hyam rose Shipley Westbrooke godden Kelly allen etc can make step up to championship. I think majority of them can

SkyBlueCRJ

Agree

1lwb
1 st
1amc

3 MUST'S

Anything over that a bonus I guess.

Hopefully likes of hyam rose Shipley Westbrooke godden Kelly allen etc can make step up to championship. I think majority of them can

Just going off the Yohou link but I think we'll be after a CB as well. I reckon one of Williams or Drysdale will be loaned out which leaves us light in the event of injuries.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The big thing as well will be injuries. We were, on the whole, quite lucky with them last year and were able to play a settled team esp in the latter stages. If we could do that again it'd be a massive boost.

covcity4life

Just going off the Yohou link but I think we'll be after a CB as well. I reckon one of Williams or Drysdale will be loaned out which leaves us light in the event of injuries.
Would welcome that as increasing squad depth quality can only be a big thing

Still question of how jobello kstaneer and Jones fit in too

I know we can change formstion but i don't see it happening till we are desperate. Wonder if we are looking to offload them or retrain their positions slightly

cc84cov

We need cover for holding midfield Kelly always picks up the odd injury & needs a break at some point,Hamer as I thought will be Walsh replacement but we need cover in that role.Another striker,Attacking Midfielder & a first choice left wing back mason will be used as backup,I liked what I seen from Giles in his brief spell.

SkyBlueCRJ

Would welcome that as increasing squad depth quality can only be a big thing

Still question of how jobello kstaneer and Jones fit in too

I know we can change formstion but i don't see it happening till we are desperate. Wonder if we are looking to offload them or retrain their positions slightly

JJ can play on the wing and AM. I think he was positioned at AM before the season was curtailed in the U23s and performed pretty well according to reports. The season ending was probably the worst thing for him as he was in the midst of getting his match sharpness back. So I think once next season starts he'll be playing in the U23s again at least for the first couple of months as I'm not sure whether a few pre-season games will be enough for him to get that match sharpness back.

I think MR will almost certainly be looking to offload Kastaneer either permanently or on loan given he wasn't even making an appearance for the U23s towards the end of our season.

It's pretty common for managers to use a couple of core formations so to fit Jobello in I think we'll probably use the 4-3-3 and the 5-2-2-1 next season. When he eventually gets his match sharpness back it gives us an option to use JJ too.

Nonleagueherewecome

cc84cov

Just read on the CET Mark Robins was “thrilled” with this signing as he was linked with several clubs

Nonleagueherewecome

JJ can play on the wing and AM. I think he was positioned at AM before the season was curtailed in the U23s and performed pretty well according to reports. The season ending was probably the worst thing for him as he was in the midst of getting his match sharpness back. So I think once next season starts he'll be playing in the U23s again at least for the first couple of months as I'm not sure whether a few pre-season games will be enough for him to get that match sharpness back.

I think MR will almost certainly be looking to offload Kastaneer either permanently or on loan given he wasn't even making an appearance for the U23s towards the end of our season.

It's pretty common for managers to use a couple of core formations so to fit Jobello in I think we'll probably use the 4-3-3 and the 5-2-2-1 next season. When he eventually gets his match sharpness back it gives us an option to use JJ too.

Jones had certainly started scoring for the U23's. Agreed that he can play in the middle. If anything I think the AMC role is probably a lot more suited to him than winger given how much he cut in and popped up in those areas anyway. For the U23's he was finding pockets of space in the middle and firing off shots, definitely a strength of his.

I'd say the extended break the whole squad has had puts him almost on a level playing field fitness/sharpness wise. I'd also consider that if Leeds were on the verge of signing him when he was tearing up L2 before injury that he probably has the ability to play at this level, its just a matter of how long it will take him to get back to where he was before injury. Usually I would doubt if it was gonna happen after so long off, but he was very young when it happened and is a very determined young man with a great attitude, so I'd back him to do it.

If he plays well in pre-season (and I expect he will show more than Kastaneer for one, who I am not sure will even feature), then he will be in contention for a first team place along with everyone else (certainly Allen, Shipley and Westbrooke). If he's miles behind still, then we'll have to look at a loan to L1.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We need cover for holding midfield Kelly always picks up the odd injury & needs a break at some point,Hamer as I thought will be Walsh replacement but we need cover in that role.Another striker,Attacking Midfielder & a first choice left wing back mason will be used as backup,I liked what I seen from Giles in his brief spell.

Mason was very good in the early stages of last season before McCallum came in and could have felt a little hard done by to have lost his place. There may be an issue on if he can effectively bring in the attacking aspects of a LWB as he's a more traditional LB, but not sure why you feel Giles would be an improvement based on his time here.

shmmeee

It's all good, I have no issue with people finding it funny/getting upset when they called out for shitty behaviour.

Tbf the thread was derailed not by me but by the person who decided to use autism as a derogatory insult to people who didnt agree with him and then got pissy when me and others pointed out that fact, if he hadn't done that then it wouldn't have happened ;)

Except I didn't did I? I made an analogy, you (the I assume not autistic person)are claiming being likened to autistic people is insulting, then having the cheek to claim the moral high ground. Stayed out of this but you don't just get to make shit up. ;)

Fucking running around thinking you're Batman for tone policing autistic people talking about their own condition. How stunning and brave!

Users who are viewing this thread