January transfer window (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

It would be a blunder not to ship out some of the ineffective players in our squad and replace them with better quality. It might be we ship 2 useless players out to bring in 1 decent one. Or Sisu sanction some loan signings.

That is very much a Michael Owen comment to make. Obviously MR wants to bring in better quality players.

The reality is that we have to find destinations for said players, and we have to find the right players with the right quality, for the right price.

MR isn’t usually active in January, and rightly so. It’s a market for teams who are usually pretty desperate because they either; haven’t got their summer right, have a new manager, or have loads of injuries to deal with.

Off the top of my head, the last decent permanent signing we made in the January transfer market was Leon Clarke, and before that, probably Fox and Dann.

Magwitch

Puts sisu on the spot, as I see it we are on a see-saw at the moment stay as we are squad wise be lucky injury wise I reckon we will be about in the position we are now come the end of the season and that would be okay but should we get just two or three more longish injuries we could slip dangerously towards the drop zone trouble is this season injured players are missing a lot of games with us playing Saturday/Wednesday/ Saturday on the other hand get a couple of players in loan or permenant who come off we could gain points to put us top half.

Sick Boy

Problem is that we could end up being saddled with players on wages we couldn’t afford if we ended up being relegated to League 1. We’ll hold off until the summer and then see where are then.

cc84cov

Problem is that we could end up being saddled with players on wages we couldn’t afford if we ended up being relegated to League 1. We’ll hold off until the summer and then see where are then.
Or try get the right player in who will make the difference,we look ok now but I think teams around us will be looking to strengthen

Sick Boy

Or try get the right player in who will make the difference,we look ok now but I think teams around us will be looking to strengthen
Not convinced with the pandemic situation, chances as we will make do with what we have and look where we are in the summer.

Magwitch

Loans won’t cost us anything next season relegation will, even if it were a player or even two on £10k a week for five months it’s a case of is that investment worth it to try and ensure we stay in the championship.

Deity

Loans won’t cost us anything next season relegation will, even if it were a player or even two on £10k a week for five months it’s a case of is that investment worth it to try and ensure we stay in the championship.
I completely agree. Let’s not forget Sisu are a hedge fund. At some point they need an exit. We are more attractive as a championship side than league one. That’s why a long term Ricoh deal is so critical, both parties know that.

Robins will bring in 2 players I think. Whether that will be enough time will tell.

We really don’t offer much attacking threat and the clean sheets won’t go on fit ever. Very fine lines at the minute.

Magwitch

I agree this league is so tight in most games there’s only a goal in it lots of late winners and equalisers, there’s also biggish clubs below us Forest, Derby, Wednesday and QPR any or all could put runs together. We defiantly need a forward or even two, I’m classing Da Costa and Hilsner as newbies too neither have really kicked a ball in anger yet but will hopefully give MR more options.

Londonccfcfan

Robins and our management will and should look for good young players from league 1. Who won't cost a fortune.

Players like Dack/lowe/Stockley/Bradshaw etc.

We won't buy proven championship players at or near their peak. Not our model.

cc84cov

Robins and our management will and should look for good young players from league 1. Who won't cost a fortune.

Lad called JCH doing well league 1 👀😬

Magwitch

There will be players lower down even in non league who will come into higher leagues and be top players the next Jamie Varney is there somewhere. In times gone by we did well from lower leagues.

Deity

There will be players lower down even in non league who will come into higher leagues and be top players the next Jamie Varney is there somewhere. In times gone by we did well from lower leagues.
I think we have seen a more pragmatic Robins this season. Let’s be honest our football is rubbish to watch now but it’s getting more points.

we really lack championship experience. I could see Robins looking to bring in 2 older heads to help the younger players.

it’s not how we normally operate but it might what Robins feels we need

Gibbo

That is very much a Michael Owen comment to make. Obviously MR wants to bring in better quality players.

The reality is that we have to find destinations for said players, and we have to find the right players with the right quality, for the right price.

MR isn’t usually active in January, and rightly so. It’s a market for teams who are usually pretty desperate because they either; haven’t got their summer right, have a new manager, or have loads of injuries to deal with.

Off the top of my head, the last decent permanent signing we made in the January transfer market was Leon Clarke, and before that, probably Fox and Dann.
Bright?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Here’s a curve ball. Jacob Murphy back? Scored 9 in 39 for Sheffield Wednesday last season. Presumably from the wing/attacking mid. Surely potential loan there

stupot07

Here’s a curve ball. Jacob Murphy back? Scored 9 in 39 for Sheffield Wednesday last season. Presumably from the wing/attacking mid. Surely potential loan there
He's on a reported £25k pw. Even with a favourable wage split Murphy would be way out of our reach.
Plus he is starting for Newcastle in the PL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tommo1993

Jacob Murphy, the regular starter for Newcastle in the Premier League? I feel stupid for not thinking of that.

Terry_dactyl

I think we have seen a more pragmatic Robins this season. Let’s be honest our football is rubbish to watch now but it’s getting more points.

we really lack championship experience. I could see Robins looking to bring in 2 older heads to help the younger players.

it’s not how we normally operate but it might what Robins feels we need
I never really understand this idea that ‘older heads’ ie older players will help out. What will they do?
Surely what we need are better players/players that contribute more positively to the system we play Regardless of age.

fernandopartridge

I never really understand this idea that ‘older heads’ ie older players will help out. What will they do?
Surely what we need are better players/players that contribute more positively to the system we play Regardless of age.
It's just another cliché isn't it? The idea that we need old heads when years of signing them have invariably been disastrous. Our team might be generally young but they're not so naive

procdoc

I remember when we signed Stephen Hunt to add experience. He made us worse

Paxman II

What we need is a replacement for kelly. A like for like one. When he came back into the side we consolidated and got results. It seems too simple but it's a fact. Is there a player at the club who can fulfill that role? If not who can we go after bearing in mind budget constraints?

Liquid Gold

It’s also a myth that we only buy young players. Our overall transfer policy is to buy young, develop and sell at a profit but Robins wasn’t afraid to bring in 38 year old Doyle and there are plenty around the 27-31 age he’s bought since returning.

Frostie

ironically it's probably the same people that were calling for us to drop McFadz.

lord_garrincha

Say experience doesn’t matter if you like but it’s not a coincidence that Godden Kelly and McFadz have been so critical to our success.
But there is a difference between at their peak (28 to 33) than over the hill... Like the rubbish we brought in during the noughties... Bar Wise.

Terry_dactyl

Say experience doesn’t matter if you like but it’s not a coincidence that Godden Kelly and McFadz have been so critical to our success.
They have been but you could argue they’ve not been our very best performers - Dabo? Hamer? Walsh?

Colin Steins Smile

The obvious issue is unless we can offload squad players, who are not featuring in a meaningful way there's no budget to bring someone else in ....and given the fact a lot of other clubs in L1 & 2 are having a very difficult time financially....I can't see us offloading anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread