January transfer window (1 Viewer)

procdoc

Did that Wolves midfielder we were linked with loaning go anywhere? I can’t remember his name

shmmeee

I doubt we will either. We've never really had the budget in the past to make permanent signings in January - with exception to a few development signings - and I certainly can't see that being any different this season for obvious reasons.

It goes completely against The Model™️ you pay inflated prices in Jan, we’re all about finding those bargains.

fernandopartridge

Doubt we'll make any signings, the club will be absolutely skint. Not as if the list of players people want to offload will have a list of suitors (Allen aside)

larry_david

Kieran Lee is decent but think he's been injured fora long time.

Eccles started and finished their last game, if he now regularly plays 90 mins week in week out I'd keep him there. That's better for his development that sitting on our bench.

TomRad85

Lee Evans from Wigan. Championship standard midfielder playing for a club heading into league 2. Would be a great signing.

Edit.. after writing this I googled him to see what he's upto. Currently injured so perhaps not.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SBAndy

Lee Evans from Wigan. Championship standard midfielder playing for a club heading into league 2. Would be a great signing.

Edit.. after writing this I googled him to see what he's upto. Currently injured so perhaps not.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Don’t know anything about him but out of contract in the summer.

Legia Sky Blue

given the huge hole, literally, left by Kellys absence surely a defensive midfielder has to e priority though I don't think they'll be much business done, by us or anyone else.

Not so sure about this. Sheaf was brought in to replace/cover for Kelly. As back up it would probably be simpler to recall Eccles in January than invest in another defensive midfielder given Kelly is due back in March. We could always bring Walsh back though :)

clint van damme

Not so sure about this. Sheaf was brought in to replace/cover for Kelly. As back up it would probably be simpler to recall Eccles in January than invest in another defensive midfielder given Kelly is due back in March. We could always bring Walsh back though :)

Will be interesting to see if we recall Eccles.
Might be a bit too much of a step up at this stage but when you're light on bodies and ski t I don't suppose you can be too choosy

Skybluedownunder

Still not seen Liam Walsh in a single first team squad game yet for Bristol, surely he’s not still injured, can he just not get in the team?

Last 6 months of his contract, sign him up and say no thanks to Sheaf at the end of his loan (if we can that is, I thought it’s an obligation to sign)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

An upgrade on Baka and Biamou would be ideal.

giphy.gif

Heres an upgrade of Baka...more mobile too

Hobo

given the huge hole, literally, left by Kellys absence surely a defensive midfielder has to e priority though I don't think they'll be much business done, by us or anyone else.

Hamer, Sheaf and Pask can play there. Allen and Shipley at a push alonside another DMP. What we really lack is a central attacking midfield player who can play in the hole. Make runs behind and feed off the forward.

SkyblueTexan

Oh was that him. He looked more than handy in the premier league let alone the championship
Played against Burnley today and looked decent.

Alkhen

Worth punt catagory: Ex England youth Winger Andre Green is a free agent.

Played 40 times for Villa. Was very highly rated but had some stop start loans in the recent past. Would have played with O'Hare

higgs

Worth punt catagory: Ex England youth Winger Andre Green is a free agent.

Played 40 times for Villa. Was very highly rated but had some stop start loans in the recent past. Would have played with O'Hare
Good find should bring him in on trial to have a look

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AFCCOVENTRY

I think it will be a massive blunder by the club if they aren’t able to bring some new recruits in to help with the second half of the season. They need either move some players on and bring new ones in or Sisu chip in. Staying in this league will be more profitable in the long run than getting relegated.

Bristol sky blue

Apparently Robins was looking at DM Sam Field on loan from WBA before we signed Ben Sheaf. Don't know if he's injured but he hasn't had a sniff at WBA this year and they may be willing to send him out of loan now.
I still think we need another attacking midfielder option more than a defensive one though...

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think it will be a massive blunder by the club if they aren’t able to bring some new recruits in to help with the second half of the season. They need either move some players on and bring new ones in or Sisu chip in. Staying in this league will be more profitable in the long run than getting relegated.

How would it be a massive blunder by the club? The club are broke and they can't do anything to change that. Their hands are essentially tied. It's far easier said than done to move on players that no one wants - probably bar Allen. Posters have said this numerous times already on this thread. The only way I can foresee us receiving an injection of cash to be used in the transfer window is if SISU pump funds in - and I'm far from confident that this will happen as they're already going to be topping up the coffers again this season.

I half agree with your last sentence. From the outside looking in, it would be incredibly short sighted by SISU if they outright refused to support Robins in the window - but really it entirely depends on what their own personal situation is and the situation of their investors.

Liquid Gold

How would it be a massive blunder by the club? The club are broke and they can't do anything to change that. Their hands are essentially tied. It's far easier said than done to move on players that no one wants - probably bar Allen. Posters have said this numerous times already on this thread. The only way I can foresee us receiving an injection of cash to be used in the transfer window is if SISU pump funds in - and I'm far from confident that this will happen as they're already going to be topping up the coffers again this season.

I half agree with your last sentence. From the outside looking in, it would be incredibly short sighted by SISU if they outright refused to support Robins in the window - but really it entirely depends on what their own personal situation is and the situation of their investors.
Add a new manager, put in Man City job, buy Baka for £100m. Done.

Last edited:

Magwitch

Looks to me the best hope of new blood is taking on a free agent it looks like we can’t increase the wage bill probably having to take on Lee Clamp hasn’t helped so at best it’ll be one out one in.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Looks to me the best hope of new blood is taking on a free agent it looks like we can’t increase the wage bill probably having to take on Lee Clamp hasn’t helped so at best it’ll be one out one in.

Our best hope would be a PL loan who we have to pay little to no wages for.

Personally, I don't think a free agent would benefit our situation as it will take at least a month to get them up to speed. We need players who can feature more or less straight away.

clint van damme

Our best hope would be a PL loan who we have to pay little to no wages for.

Personally, I don't think a free agent would benefit our situation as it will take at least a month to get them up to speed. We need players who can feature more or less straight away.

I think it depends on which position we're talking about.
If it's a game changing player who can come on and give us some attacking impetus in the last 20 or 30 minutes then match fitness might not be such an issue.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think it depends on which position we're talking about.
If it's a game changing player who can come on and give us some attacking impetus in the last 20 or 30 minutes then match fitness might not be such an issue.

It's not just fitness that's the issue here. Many of these free agents won't have played since the summer - some for longer. Match sharpness is another issue that also could pose a problem and isn't as easy to improve in terms of time as fitness is.

Users who are viewing this thread