Jake Clarke-Salter (2 Viewers)

Londonccfcfan

I went around then so checked the scores to see if it was that year. So, in 93/4 there were 9k there and we won 1-2, the year after there were 25k there and we drew 2-2 (that’s when I went). Not sure what happened that year to increase it so much.

Our equivalent was the Ron Atkinson effect around same time.

Except our crowds went up modestly.

Londonccfcfan

I went around then so checked the scores to see if it was that year. So, in 93/4 there were 9k there and we won 1-2, the year after there were 25k there and we drew 2-2 (that’s when I went). Not sure what happened that year to increase it so much.
The bandwagon was well and truly rolling.

covcity4life

They had two generous benefactors really, they got a load of cash from Matthew Harding in the 90s which built the foundations for Abramovich, they were getting average gates in the teens in the 90s until Harding started to invest.

When we played them in the PL at Stamford Bridge in May 94, the gate was 8k
Regardless they did alright before Roman

I just don't subscribe to negativity in football or life gnegenerally

Ehen I think of Chelsea pre Roman I think of Gavin peacock Mark Stein dennis wise Zola tore Andre flo some good europeon runs and that amazing orange and greybaway kit and its good memories from when I a kid and in love with footy

Football fans always wanna rubbish other clubs but imo they all contribute to the sport we love

COV

Gullit joined them, it was the dawning of the age of the big stars coming in. They followed that up with Zola, Di Matteo, LeBouef the following season and that was them off & running

fernandopartridge

Chelsea went through something of a rebrand really, in the 70s and 80s they were basically a yo yo club with a massive hooligan following. With the investment and rebuilding of the ground, and the PL making football fashionable, in the mid 90s they started to attract some of the nouveau fans that populate grounds these days.

Londonccfcfan

Its funny growing up in West London 1980s, my school had lots of QPR fans and the usual Spurs and Arsenal...fans in the 1980s. Hardly any Chelsea or Fulham. Brentford wernt really even an entity.
Chelski fans everywhere now.

BornSlippySkyBlue

I get that they had investment and Zola and all that, but more than doubling the attendance in one year is something. I can imagine it taking a fair bit to double ours, put it that way.

Hobo

Chelsea went through something of a rebrand really, in the 70s and 80s they were basically a yo yo club with a massive hooligan following. With the investment and rebuilding of the ground, and the PL making football fashionable, in the mid 90s they started to attract some of the nouveau fans that populate grounds these days.

And broke. In 70's fans were donating money into collection bins on the terraces.

Their fans were not fun at all.

Reactions: vow

Hobo

Do you reckon the Chelsea forum has a thread about Coventry’s attendances in the 90s and how we managed to sign the stars of the Moroccan 98 World Cup team?

No. I bet they don't have long threads on Derby and Sunderland or a Barnsley fan posting every 5 minutes on their matchday thread either?

Skyblueweeman

Gullit joined them, it was the dawning of the age of the big stars coming in. They followed that up with Zola, Di Matteo, LeBouef the following season and that was them off & running

I always remember them signing Dimitry Kharin, the Soviet/CIS/Russian GK after the '92 Euros. I always thought to myself that he was the first big name player to join from abroad when it happened. Couldn't believe it as a 12 year old that they had signed him.

better days

They built that triple tier stand in the early 70s at the cost of millions didn't they?
Yeah
Tbh that was admirable
They made the decision to immediately close the stand it replaced after fans felt it 'move' as they left after a big game
It was the days before anyone took any notice of health and safety but they didn't take any chances
Many stadiums were death traps in those days

COV

they installed electric fences at one point to try and control people 😆

Old Warwickshire lad

They had two generous benefactors really, they got a load of cash from Matthew Harding in the 90s which built the foundations for Abramovich, they were getting average gates in the teens in the 90s until Harding started to invest.

When we played them in the PL at Stamford Bridge in May 94, the gate was 8k
Had Ken Bates before that if I remember correctly. Bit like the London equivalent of Doug Ellis.

rhino1002

Yeah
Tbh that was admirable
They made the decision to immediately close the stand it replaced after fans felt it 'move' as they left after a big game
It was the days before anyone took any notice of health and safety but they didn't take any chances
Many stadiums were death traps in those days
you are absolutely correct
i had to inspect the structure of a number of stadia in that era including CCFC and when i inspected Northampton's their main stand was as bad as Bradford's had been before the fire
needless to say I condemned it

Last edited:

JimmyHillsbeard

It's likely to be worse
They were an also ran team for years until all the Russian money came in and they could buy success
A lot of their newer fans have never known how it is to support a proper football team

I’ve always felt that supporting Chelsea, like following WWE wrestling, is something that grown-ups probably shouldn’t do. ;-)

shmmeee

I don't think their club song contains us either sadly

Ours shouldn’t contain them either. It’s supposed to change as you go through the leagues, but we never changed it back as we dropped down.

I wonder who ours would be now?

Barnsley or Bournemouth, Swansea or anyone?

Torquay Sky Blue

Do you reckon the Chelsea forum has a thread about Coventry’s attendances in the 90s and how we managed to sign the stars of the Moroccan 98 World Cup team?
I remember when they got chased out the West End and everyone else who came for the rest of the season were met with a chorus of You'll get the same as Chelsea

Sick Boy

There's still a relationship between them and the Hellas Verona ultras, which tells you all you need to know about them.

Happy_Martian

QPR are a proper club with proper fans like us. With a proper stadium.😂

Always liked Loftus Road. Tight stands around the pitch so you felt part of the game. Too many grounds now put a running track or some other distance between the fans and the game so you need binoculars to see who's playing.

Terry_dactyl

There's still a relationship between them and the Hellas Verona ultras, which tells you all you need to know about them.
My Italian brother in-law, is not into football in anyway, told me that he’d refuse to go to Verona under any circumstances. He went on to tell me about the reputation it has for being a hotbed for fascism/racism in Italy.

Hobo

My Italian brother in-law, is not into football in anyway, told me that he’d refuse to go to Verona under any circumstances. He went on to tell me about the reputation it has for being a hotbed for fascism/racism in Italy.

Top man

Users who are viewing this thread