In The Times today (1 Viewer)

tisza

Don't see the fuss.
Someone comes and asks me the same question in the middle of Russia having followed England for this run of games l am giving the same answer as CJ.
Ask me 5 minutes after final whistle at Wembley in 87 and I give you the opposite answer.
Chances of seeing England win World Cup would top most City achievements for me because it realistically is a once in a lifetime thing.
But give it a couple of seasons and promotion to PL would top it.

skyblue025

It's England for me over City. As much as I loved winning at Wembley to win a World Cup would top it. If we win Wednesday I'm flying back to Moscow for the final. Fair play to CJ for staying out there the whole tournament.

Otis

The thing is I’ve seen City 100s of times, and I’m used to the highs and lows, and if you have a low then you get another go midweek or the next weekend. As CJ said, the World Cup is once every four years and is the pinnacle of the the sport, so for me England’s success just feels a little more special. Particularly this time around.
Yeah, bang on for me, that.

Otis

Interesting this.

I wonder how many Italians are not really that bothered about the Italian team playing, or winning or losing? How many Germans about theirs? Brazilians, Argentinians etc.

I do think that a few perceptions are going to be changed on here if we win the tournament.

World Cup - Only once every four years.
Promotion opportunity - Every single year.

Come on England!!!!

giphy.gif

Adge

That was the house he bought for his Mum.
Yep, he had a shocking tournament and should have kept his head down instead of showing off his wealth. It was sticking 2 fingers up to everyone-surprised you are buying it to be fair.

Irish Sky Blue

International football could never come close to club football for me, I've gone over to watch the Republic a few times and never got the same buzz as I have done with CCFC. Definitely planning on going to a Euros or WC to watch them the next chance I get though.
Same for me. I’ve watched the RoI a few times but would get far more excited and involved watching City.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I do get caught up in the england hysteria, and always hope they’ll win. But I always go for club over country.

If england lose tomorrow or the final I’ll be gutted. I’ll get over it reasonably quick though. If City had lost to Oxford or Exeter I’d still be in my bed, curtains drawn and contemplating whether to go outside ever again

Otis

I do get caught up in the england hysteria, and always hope they’ll win. But I always go for club over country.

If england lose tomorrow or the final I’ll be gutted. I’ll get over it reasonably quick though. If City had lost to Oxford or Exeter I’d still be in my bed, curtains drawn and contemplating whether to go outside ever again
I'm like that most days.

CJ_covblaze

It's England for me over City. As much as I loved winning at Wembley to win a World Cup would top it. If we win Wednesday I'm flying back to Moscow for the final. Fair play to CJ for staying out there the whole tournament.

Send me your number. We'll have a drink.

CJ_covblaze

Yep, he had a shocking tournament and should have kept his head down instead of showing off his wealth. It was sticking 2 fingers up to everyone-surprised you are buying it to be fair.

I criticised him heavily during that tournament. He shouldn't have been there. Townsend and Defoe were both better options. He made a mistake by sending out the video. We've all made errors of judgement.

Reactions: vow

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I'm fairly sure he was saying thanks to his mum for bringing him up alone rather than sticking two fingers up to the country, but you keep reading those tabloids.

Reactions: vow

ashbyjan

Ordinarily I am fairly ambivalent to England matches as they are invariably boring, meaningless friendlies or dull qualifying games however if I was to compare England winning the World Cup to Cov scraping out of Div 4 via a play off - sorry no comparison. Winning the world cup is a once in a lifetime event, something that would unite a nation and be talked about for decades (just like people still go on about the 66 final) - who apart from a few Cov fans will remember winning at Wembley against Exeter in a couple of years time?

CJ follows England home and away - he always displays his flag with Coventry/CJ/Hannah on it proudly at every match. He follows City home and away and for anyone to question his love of Cov is pathetic and ignorant. He has followed England for years, spending a small fortune, experiencing disappointment, failure and even danger so for anyone to begrudge him this moment of euphoria is incredibly small minded. He has followed Cov for years, spending a small fortune, experiencing disappointment, failure and very little success so I know he loved Wembley and promotion but being in Russia for the whole tournament and supporting a national team he loves is a different scale of events. WELL DONE CJ - ITS COMING HOME

Nick

Administrator
who apart from a few Cov fans will remember winning at Wembley against Exeter in a couple of years time?

Why does it matter what other people will remember as to what an individual will remember more fondly? Couldn't care less if everybody else outside of the ring road forgets within 5 years, I won't.

If you were discussing it with fans of another team you might have a point, but we are Cov Fans so it will be a different perspective. Same as if we asked another club to compare an achievement with England.

Sick Boy

Had great fun winding up the bandwagon brigade reminding them that the earliest form of football was invented in China.

Grendel

Interesting this.

I wonder how many Italians are not really that bothered about the Italian team playing, or winning or losing? How many Germans about theirs? Brazilians, Argentinians etc.

I do think that a few perceptions are going to be changed on here if we win the tournament.

World Cup - Only once every four years.
Promotion opportunity - Every single year.

Come on England!!!!

giphy.gif

Perception will not change at all.

There was a survey done by the bbc years ago and people wanted club over country by a huge percentage.

If I’m honest when Beckham was playing I was glad we lost. I couldn’t have stomached him anywhere near a World Cup trophy.

ccfcricoh

CCFC winning the champions league > CCFC getting back to the Premiership > England winning the World Cup > CCFC getting promoted out of League 2

covcity4life

each to their own

i like to think it doesnt matter as national team comps are in summer(barring 2022) so i can support both equally

if i was pushed then cov matters more but im not being pushed,so i can love both of them

give me a cj over the type that say 'cant be bovered with national team,hate watching england' etc

Gosb

Ordinarily I am fairly ambivalent to England matches as they are invariably boring, meaningless friendlies or dull qualifying games however if I was to compare England winning the World Cup to Cov scraping out of Div 4 via a play off - sorry no comparison. Winning the world cup is a once in a lifetime event, something that would unite a nation and be talked about for decades (just like people still go on about the 66 final) - who apart from a few Cov fans will remember winning at Wembley against Exeter in a couple of years time?

CJ follows England home and away - he always displays his flag with Coventry/CJ/Hannah on it proudly at every match. He follows City home and away and for anyone to question his love of Cov is pathetic and ignorant. He has followed England for years, spending a small fortune, experiencing disappointment, failure and even danger so for anyone to begrudge him this moment of euphoria is incredibly small minded. He has followed Cov for years, spending a small fortune, experiencing disappointment, failure and very little success so I know he loved Wembley and promotion but being in Russia for the whole tournament and supporting a national team he loves is a different scale of events. WELL DONE CJ - ITS COMING HOME
As the OP, I apologise for being pathetic, ignorant and small-minded. I don't know CJ and I simply couldn't relate to anyone who thought that England winning the World Cup was more important than our getting out of League 2. Although the comments suggest that I'm in the majority, there are plenty who see it the other way. A real eye-opener for me.

Moff

I commend CJ for going out to the tournament, supporting his country, and for his views. I have also enjoyed trying to spot his flag whilst watching the England games, but it will always be CCFC over England for me.

I don't feel either the passion when we win, or the pain when we lose like I do with CCFC.
If we win the World Cup I would be ecstatic but that would never stay with me like the FA Cup Win, and The Chekatrade, and our promotion this season. Those memories will stay with me and be stronger than any I feel for my country.
I get it that it would lift the nation, but for me it would be over quickly and then just regurgitated by those that keep saying its coming home relentlessly, whilst my clubs successes stay stronger with me than that.

no_loyalty

CCFC over England every day of the week, in fact i've pretty much been numb to England for years now. Southgate is winning me back over but it's still not even close to my love for the city.

Totally agree Tom, I lose interest in watching England but never lose interest in watching City

TomRad85

Totally agree Tom, I lose interest in watching England but never lose interest in watching City
I may be generalising but in my experience people that are more into the national team than their club are the ones that aren't really that into their club, Liverpool fans in Cov, Man Utd fans in Norwich etc...

CJ_covblaze

I may be generalising but in my experience people that are more into the national team than their club are the ones that aren't really that into their club, Liverpool fans in Cov, Man Utd fans in Norwich etc...

In my experience it's the opposite. You'll always get loads of Blues, City, Wolves, Peterborough, Chester, Pompey, L1 & L2 Manchester clubs, Plymouth & Exeter to name just a few turn up at away games. More than what you'll find from top end PL clubs. In many cases the only games they'll miss their club play throughout the season are during international breaks.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
not really sure why anyone has to choose one above the other, its not like they are going to compete against each other in any sense

I also suspect that being involved in the atmosphere at Englands games when they succeed is special and colours feelings at the time. Doesn't inhibit allegiance,passion, excitement, belonging attached to supporting a club .... in this case CCFC

No reason why you cannot easily be a "real fan" of both. Have to say I hate the expression "real fan" because it is usually something used against another person rather than a badge of honour.

Get out and enjoy both its a long time since we have had football success local or national, make the most of it

Nick

Administrator

Think that's probably something you get from watching it locally around people who just like watching football in the pub on a Sunday and then Live. I'm no expert on at England games but you see a lot of flags from lower league clubs.

Otis

You're generalising.

I have been a City fan through and through since the late 60's and have watched them through thick and thin.

I am also an Englishman though. England is also my team because I am English. Born in Coventry, born in England. My two teams.

TomRad85

Think that's probably something you get from watching it locally around people who just like watching football in the pub on a Sunday and then Live. I'm no expert on at England games but you see a lot of flags from lower league clubs.
Yes you're right this is what i was referring to, the pub football fan seems more into England. As for the people that actually travel abroad to watch England i'm sure they are also very into their club sides.

lifeskyblue

For me CCFC comes before england but that is partly because I have been to hundreds of CCFC games (majority home but a fair few away) and only a handful of England ones (and never outside England).
I think CJs support of cov and England is immense and he should be commended for his commitment. I love looking for his flag and told the wife on Saturday ‘there it is, there’s CJ’ as if he was my best buddy. He is a credit to himself and to England...loved reading his post re the school on Russia a week or so ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vow

I support City and England in equal measure, been heartbroken by both unfortunately, but always feel passionate about both.

Otis

I support City and England in equal measure, been heartbroken by both unfortunately, but always feel passionate about both.
Yes, that's me too.

City AND England, but just that the World Cup is so huge and that's because it only happens once every 4 years.

If it was every year then I think I would feel City's promotion was bigger.

We win the World Cup though and it's going to feel like one great big nationwide street party.

Users who are viewing this thread