In The Times today (1 Viewer)

Malaka

I envy him and wish I was there. However, I would prefer to follow a good champions league season away than England winning the World Cup. I still haven't forgiven Hoddle taking Les Ferdinand over Dion

NortonSkyBlue

each person will have a view on this but I can only imagine that it's like comparing your best orgasm.
Coventry City for me every time but a World Cup win may change that POV. Tissues ready.

Sky Blue Harry H

Yes indeed, but what's that got to do with the stripes vs plain debate?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Don't worry Buzzard, Otis has one eye and you are blind - leave it at that (P.S. I am (metaphorically blind, too, if it makes you feel better!)

Otis

Isn't the real measure of this - how gutted you'd feel if they lost. If England lost the World Cup semi-final or final I'd get over it in 24 or 48 hours. If the Sky Blues had lost at Wembley I'd never have gotten over it.
I will be gutted if we make the final and then lose out. Totally.

CJ_covblaze

Sorry if I’ve put anyone’s backs up. The way how I look at it, A World Cup semi is something I might experience once in a lifetime. The chance to do it happens once every 4 years. Promotion can/will :) happen next year and the year after that.

itsabuzzard

Don't worry Buzzard, Otis has one eye and you are blind - leave it at that (P.S. I am (metaphorically blind, too, if it makes you feel better!)
No problem. I'm certainly not going to fall out with anyone just because they can't accept that stripes are shit

itsabuzzard

Sorry if I’ve put anyone’s backs up. The way how I look at it, A World Cup semi is something I might experience once in a lifetime. The chance to do it happens once every 4 years. Promotion can/will :) happen next year and the year after that.
Just great to see the club get a mention, especially the Wembley day out! Enjoy the rest of the tournament and we'll keep an eye out for your flag (?)

Otis

Yep, exactly. You get the chance of promotion each year every year. A World Cup is only once every 4 years.

Huge difference and in the space of 3 World Cups you would have had the opportunity of 12 promotions.

torchomatic

Must admit, I don't celebrate an England goal like I do a CCFC goal (on TV or not). There isn't that sudden loss of control and jumping about like a twat.

Nor me. Never have. Can never have the enthusiasm I would have for City games. England players are not MY players like those at City are.

I would rather go and watch the U23s vs Nuneaton than go to an England game. Again each to their own.

Genuinely not bothered if England win or not.

torchomatic

England winning the World Cup is bigger than Cov getting promoted from League 2. It’s not even close.

Can't be denied but for ME personally it's not even close.

christonabike

Any post that ends "he cant be a real fan?" needs to fook off. We are all fans some to go games more than others, some cant go as they work shifts and some cant as they dont have the money etc.
Lets take all the money back MJ raised for the fans who are in difficulty as they arent real fans.
Fook sake give it a rest and get back to Love Island with your partner man or woman.

Otis

Nor me. Never have. Can never have the enthusiasm I would have for City games. England players are not MY players like those at City are.

I would rather go and watch the U23s vs Nuneaton than go to an England game. Again each to their own.

Odd isn't it, cos for me, no matter which club they play for, as soon as they pull on that England shirt they become my players and every other Englishman's players.

They are representing my country.

Happy_Martian

Noone will care about my opinion but I want to join in with the debate.

Put your plain and stripes aside, it has to be tartan all the way :)

Sky Blue Harry H

If this is the City fan CJ that I know. Don't know why anybody wants to quote this numpty. Most of the time he talks bollox.

When you say you know him, do you mean you know of him? Why do you talk to him if you think he mostly talks ;bollox'. If you don't talk to him, how do you know he talks 'bollox' most of the time? Me suspects a wum!

torchomatic

Odd isn't it, cos for me, no matter which club they play for, as soon as they pull on that England shirt they become my players and every other Englishman's players.

They are representing my country.

Yes odd. That's the way I've always been. Always was footy mad but never bothered about England and internationals.

SKYBLUES90

City for me all day everyday.

Would I swap us getting promoted this season to England winning the World Cup? No chance!

Never been that arsed by England Tbf, I’ll always watch when they are in a tournament but can take it or leave it with the friendlys, and never really over celebrate when they score compared to when city score and I jump around like the 6 year old boy that fell in love with the club.

Mucca Mad Boys

Can't be denied but for ME personally it's not even close.

It depends on the context. A lot of England games mean nothing, friendlies and qualification against teams against small nations that shouldn’t be a contest. So day-to-day, Cov makes me far more emotiona and meaning because each game has something on the line.

But, the World Cup and Euros come around once every 4 years, the buzz generated from that is so important. I went absolutely mental in the Lille fanpark when Sturridge scored that last minute winner against Wales. England winning the World Cup? I can’t even fathom it.

clint van damme

It's your personal opinion. No one can tell you you're wrong.

Gynnsthetonic

I love watching the world cup now as i did as a 10 year old,all the different coloured strips the Peru's, The Netherlands, Brazils, Argentina, Italy's etc and used to love it when Scotland lost to some shit outfit. I especially like the close ups of the female fans in hot pants and skimpy football tops.But I am not bothered one bit whether England win or not, The Passion I had in my blood away at Notts County and at Wembley will never be beaten by watching England

CJ_covblaze

When you say you know him, do you mean you know of him? Why do you talk to him if you think he mostly talks ;bollox'. If you don't talk to him, how do you know he talks 'bollox' most of the time? Me suspects a wum!

I know Burty. He’s a very good guy.

speedie87

I want to support England and get the same excitment from it is watching the city but I just can’t.

Doesn’t help when people you know who spend all year moaning about football and so f want to watch it or even talk about it are suddenly banging on about having an England party and saying oh I couldn’t watch the pens I was too nervous ....... argh annoys me

Otis

It depends on the context. A lot of England games mean nothing, friendlies and qualification against teams against small nations that shouldn’t be a contest. So day-to-day, Cov makes me far more emotiona and meaning because each game has something on the line.

But, the World Cup and Euros come around once every 4 years, the buzz generated from that is so important. I went absolutely mental in the Lille fanpark when Sturridge scored that last minute winner against Wales. England winning the World Cup? I can’t even fathom it.
Yeah, same here, I went mental too with that last minute winner. Also when Owen scored that wonder goal against the Argies and when Shearer's diving header beat Germany and when we thrashed Germany 5-1.

We win the World Cup and I think you're going to have to peel me off the ceiling! A nationwide feelgood factor and whole country celebrating in unision? Wow!

When was the last time that happened exactly?

fatso

Ive never cryed like a baby when england have won, but i did in 87!
Ive never hugged another man when watching england, but i did when we won the play offs.
But id love England to beat France in the final, if only to stick it to the horse eating,
Frog eyed surrender monkeys!

Adge

I’ve done the England games over the years but it just doesn’t do it for me compared to Ccfc. I remember Shearer when he played for Newcastle got dogs abuse at Highfield Rd when they played us. The same people who were booing would then be at Wembley the week after cheering him! :emoji_thinking:
Also when we lost to Iceland not too long ago, wasn’t Sterling posting pictures of his swimming pool/houses and motors the day after?
I hope they go on and win though as it will give the country a great lift.

Yorkshire SB

The thing is I’ve seen City 100s of times, and I’m used to the highs and lows, and if you have a low then you get another go midweek or the next weekend. As CJ said, the World Cup is once every four years and is the pinnacle of the the sport, so for me England’s success just feels a little more special. Particularly this time around.

CJ_covblaze

I’ve done the England games over the years but it just doesn’t do it for me compared to Ccfc. I remember Shearer when he played for Newcastle got dogs abuse at Highfield Rd when they played us. The same people who were booing would then be at Wembley the week after cheering him! :emoji_thinking:
Also when we lost to Iceland not too long ago, wasn’t Sterling posting pictures of his swimming pool/houses and motors the day after?
I hope they go on and win though as it will give the country a great lift.

That was the house he bought for his Mum.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Coventry City by several kilometres.
Unbelievable feeling on that Notts County 2nd leg evening, same with the many relegation survival days and course Fa cup run in 87.
England , always want to win but nowhere near the same passion.Not even close to be honest. Enjoyed Euro 96 and Cameroon game in 1990 but not the same as City.

Sick Boy

International football could never come close to club football for me, I've gone over to watch the Republic a few times and never got the same buzz as I have done with CCFC. Definitely planning on going to a Euros or WC to watch them the next chance I get though.

SkyblueBazza

In The Times today a Coventry City fan, identified as CJ, who is at the World Cup is quoted as saying 'For me, this is better than when we won at Wembley and got our first promotion since 1967'. He can't be a real fan, can he?
Yes he can. England means so much more. Those soldiers that go into real fighting situations where it truly is life or death - they go in there in the name of Queen & country. Not in in the name of Coventry or Manchester or wherever.
Can understand where you come from on this I think though. Like, how many times have we had a buzz about England in the last 30yrs or so?
Occasional highs of Coventry (a win) feeds the need for the buzz so it feels a stronger buzz. BUT I think the way International level success unites is awesome, & the level of emotion will be simply overwhelming!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Grendel

I’ve been more interested in this tournament than others mainly due to the way Southgate has grown in stature and the job he’s done.

If it’s a choice between promotion next year and winning the World Cup promotion every time

If we get to the final and lose it’s just a shrug and “oh well” from me

Users who are viewing this thread