If your parents... (1 Viewer)

scroobiustom

Ah Merthyr Tydfil!

I worked with a few people from there when i lived in Carmarthen...they didn't have a lot of nice things to say about it im afraid lol

Guess that's why he moved away then :facepalm:

torchomatic

When i go to footy i go with my Stepdad, but he's been my stepdad for 30 years so i don't think of him as step. My real Dad, who has just died, came from Hull so during the 70s i saw Hull City as much as i saw Coventry City, but there was never a chance i would be a HUFC fan.

wingy

1st game was as a 7 years old away at the Dell

Southampton 8 - Coventry 2

I was hooked, and knew things could only get better

(im still waiting) :)

There are a couple of song titles in there with a bit of poetic License,so forgive ,
"I'm just a Fool"
Still Waiting

cloughie

Was born in Meridan, lived firstly in Brandon so its CCFC and the Bees for me.

I was born in Binley Woods 1957 just up the road depending on your age we all went to the same schools do we know each otherfrom years ago?

cloughie

My dad was from Newcastle Geordie and came here as a teenager but was lucky enough to get drawn into the Jimmy hill era where he went home and away

mum strangley enough from Newcastle under lyme Stoke

Don't know if to thank dad or blame him ..............................1987 it was worth it just for that THANKS DAD

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Half of my family support Birmingham, so i've been to St Andrews a fair few times. Have one cousin who supports 'United' who we all laugh at, time waster. Live in cheshire now, so when I get that chance (or cant get back to coventry) i go and watch Chester. For those who likewise have fallen out of love with modern football, I seriously recommend non league football. Reasonable pricing, suprisingly good atmospheres, terraces and some proper nitty gritty football. Despite us having nothing but lows, itll always be CCFC though pusb sotv

WestEndAgro

My Grandad was born and bred Aston, thank God he moved to Coventry where he met his wife and settled and had his first Son.
Dad started following us, and in 1970 took me to my first ever game and I fell in love, Thanks Dad I can't imagine life without the Sky Blues

RichieGunns

My Grandad was born and bred Aston, thank God he moved to Coventry where he met his wife and settled and had his first Son.
Dad started following us, and in 1970 took me to my first ever game and I fell in love, Thanks Dad I can't imagine life without the Sky Blues

It's eventful, that's for sure!

Loughborough Sky Blue

Both my parents are from London. I could pick from quite a few teams around where they're from - Fulham, Chelsea and Charlton are all nearby to where my parents are from. Oh well, could have all been so different.

SkyBluegilby

Would have been Sunderland for my dad. Mum was from Alabama in the states. Not sure if they have a "soccer" team. Prob would have been to far to travel each week anyway.

JazzCat

Dad was born and bred in Coventry but my Mums family were all from Woolwich in London and worked at / support Arsenal all their lives. They moved to Coventry when my mum was in her early teens.

My Mum supports Arsenal but follows the City with my Dad obviously.

CTID

Good thread, some pretty cool stories...love how it almost turned into a "who do you blame for being a cov fan" thread haha.

I almost chose Villa because a boy at school had a Vile top and i wanted one too until my step mum corrected me and ended up getting me a season ticket in the west terrace lol. Dads not really into watching football as he always played on saturdays, but as a kid he was a chelsea fan. My grandad is an Arsenal fan and grew up watching them on telly with him, my other grandad is a Geordie.

Sooo Villa, Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle...lets just say im glad it wasnt Villa!

Moff

My dad was from Newcastle Geordie and came here as a teenager but was lucky enough to get drawn into the Jimmy hill era where he went home and away

mum strangley enough from Newcastle under lyme Stoke

Don't know if to thank dad or blame him ..............................1987 it was worth it just for that THANKS DAD

Cloughie...your dads tale is pretty much similar to mine. Down from Newcastle as a teenager and swopped allegiance from the Magpies to the Sky Blues during the Jimmy hill era.

My dad has had it a lot easier than me!

vRS19TD

Parents supported West Brom, oldest brother supports Liverpool and other brother supports Everton. Only game i got taken to was an England B game at the Walsall stadium in about 1988 and i think it was against Switzerland B. Dad and brothers went to watch Coventry vs Spurs 1987 Cup Final, i was too young at 7 years old.

I've no idea why i started supporting Coventry as i'm born and bred in Stourbridge, so Wolves, West Brom, Villa or Birmingham are more local but i'll stick by Coventry no matter what and i wouldn't want it any other way.

LewSkyBlue

my dad was a Liverpool fan that took me to cov games to watch football, my uncle (his brother) an arsenal fan (iv always looked out for them as it always annoyed my dad when i was a kid). on my mums side theres mackem, yorkshire (leeds) and coventy. But i got stuck with cov. Wouldnt change it for the world :whistle:

@richh87

Born in Walsgrave, grew up in Kenilworth, Dad and StepDad City fans (fascinating...)

Didn't like football much until the age of about 11. Nearly went wrong aged 10 when an Arsenal supporting Uncle took my StepDad, me, and my Brother to Highbury and they won 1-0 (surprise surprise). He bought us Arsenal shirts after the game and asked us all the way home "who do you support?" to which we'd shout "Arsenal!".

My StepDad took the shirts from us for 'safe keeping' that night and we never saw them again. He also immediately started taking us to every City home game - which he never had before; and those were the Phil Neal days. :whistle:

ampthill_sba

My dad took me to see Cov as his mate was in the VP Club...he wasn't a footy fan (cricket really as he was born in India). But we won that day and I've supported them ever since (mostly).

If I'd followed my mum's childhood team it would have been Esbjerg FC of Denmark.

Baginton

Born 1.2 miles away and lived 1.7 miles away from Highbury, could have been Arsenal

cousins all Spurs fans

But we moved out of London when I was two years old, so neither :facepalm: doh!

Agree with CTID - good thread with some great stories. My dad is from a small town in Co. Kerry, Ireland, but supported Tottenham when he was a kid as he loved western films and decided "Spurs" had to be his team. Everyone else in his town was a Man Utd fan. That was at the beginning of the Jimmy Greaves era in the 60s so I guess he made a pretty good choice. He moved to Rugby in the late 60s though and started supporting Cov, has done ever since. I have an irrational dislike for Spurs for some reason so don't think I would have followed him if he'd stuck with them. My mum's from Northampton so could have been a Cobbler :thinking about:

S

SkyBlue Baker96

Mum from Glasgow, supports rangers ( my other team that i support/follow) Grandad supports Cardiff city, Dad has always supported cov but also had a weak spot for wolves, Uncle supports Man Utd and God father supports Celtic , so glad i've grown up supporting cov and will for the rest of my life through thick and thin, will also teach my kids to support them too, only 16 but i'm proud to support the skyblues! CTID

Arsenal for me. Oh how different things could have been :p

Astute

Dad - Leeds, Mum - West Ham, Grandad - Merthyr Tydfil (Moved to cov in the 50s)

I have relatives from Merthyr. I go to the Cardiff Cov games in the Cardiff end with them. Always have a good time, especially last season :D

BigadamL

Mine would of been Walsall or Wolves, prob would of gone for Walsall because i like to stuffer being a football fan.

evo87

My dad supports Villa.He took me to watch Sky Blues as punishment for being naughty. Wish we had a naughty step to sit on. I wouldn't still be being punished for my actions now. Pusb

Baginton

Loads of Irish links which is great to see, my mums from County Westmeath...

Any other midland Sky Blues ??

say hello :wave:

Consett-Stu

Newcastle for me most likely. My dad followed them home and away through the 60's and 70's then moved to Cov with my Mother (Mackem) I was born and a few years later they moved back North and when I was old enough to understand football Cov was my team as it was my birth place and it has stuck ever since even though I have always been 25mins from St James' Park.

My dad got sick of being priced out of watching Newcastle in the Keegan years and ended up following Cov full time

Users who are viewing this thread