If your parents... (2 Viewers)

RichieGunns

Had taken you to another clubs games when you were a kid, who would you have been supporting today?

Now obviously this question only works if your parents supported different teams to Coventry City but i wanted to ask anyway.

It doesn't even matter if they didn't follow football. Just suppose they did, based on where they are origionally from, who would you have supported if they took you to the games of the team where they came from?

------------------------------------

For me if would either have been West Brom or West Ham.

I'm not sure if im better off as a Cov fan or whether both those teams would have made my life easier lol

Obviously I wouldn't want it any other way. I was born in Coventry, I grew up here and I'll support my home team to the end (whether that be soon or when i die) but after yesterday I just wanted to ask the question, to see if peoples teams would have been different if they had been taken to their parents teams matches.

1nilandwe...

Both my parents were born (and raised) in Coventry. Poor buggers. But looking further along the line it would have been Burnley. Or maybe Athlone Town FC.

Skybluechick

My cousins n kids all born in cov moved to cornwall when very young about 6yrs old all support cov and are now in their 20s whereas the only child born their supports liverpool! He wants cov to do well but liverpool in his heart!yet never been to liverpool which doesn't make any sense!

RichieGunns

My cousins n kids all born in cov moved to cornwall when very young about 6yrs old all support cov and are now in their 20s whereas the only child born their supports liverpool! He wants cov to do well but liverpool in his heart!yet never been to liverpool which doesn't make any sense!

Ah don't you love glory supporters...though im not sure if Glory is the right word considering its Liverpool and how well they've not done over the past few years.

That aside im sure he has a valid reason for supporting them, afterall we all have a right to support who we want...

Marty

Could be any number of clubs for me. Dad is from a town in between Sunderland & Newcastle. Moved all over the place, so could be Cambridge, Colchester, then any number of London clubs. Mums side could be Wisla Krakow, Lech Poznan or Cheltenham before settling in Cov. Mum & Dad both saw the light and support CCFC.;)

WillieStanley

I never knew my dad, my mum was a Leeds fan and the rest of my family supports Derby County. It was my uncle who introduced me to The Sky Blues and I wouldn't pick anyone else over them, even now. Still proud.

1nilandwe...

I spent a few years in Leamington a while back. I went to see the Brakes enough times to still look out for their results now. I have to say, whilst not experiencing the elation of a last minute Coventry winner, they were some of my happiest football memories. A club which cares about its fans, and fans from all over the country who wholeheartedly care about the club. The best fanzine, programme, youth set-up, club house, I could go on, for their size, of any place I've ever visited. I do sometimes lament the fact that I wasn't brought up a couple of miles south of where I was.

Win me back Coventry. Look at the woman next door and realise why I'm having an affair with her. She's got everything I want that you are not giving to me. Change your miserable, shameful ways and win me back.

hamil99

Facebook User
Derry city, from my fathers side and Stuttgart from my mothers side. Dad grew up in cov from a young age. I was born in the usa, but dad made sure I was still a city fan. Think he wanted some one to share his misery with...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Cork City FC

irishflag_shamrock.gif

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Derry city, from my fathers side and Stuttgart from my mothers side. Dad grew up in cov from a young age. I was born in the usa, but dad made sure I was still a city fan. Think he wanted some one to share his misery with...

Wow! Bruce Springsteen! :guitar2:

:p

shmmeee

Could have been Notts County for me. But my Dads as much a Sky Blue as me now so not likely.

Moff

It could have been Newcastle United for me as my dad is a geordie.
He changed to the Sky Blues when he moved down here. It looks a bad move now with them in the premier League and us in League one, but if i looked at it positively at least we have won a trophy more recently!

scroobiustom

Dad - Leeds, Mum - West Ham, Grandad - Merthyr Tydfil (Moved to cov in the 50s)

n1xon

Its all my dads fault I'm a cov fan! I was born on the isle of wight and now live in Milton Keynes. My mums from Nottingham and used to live Round corner from forest.

ohitsaidwalker king power

I've mentioned this before... dont hate me!!
My Father was always Sky Blue.. like his father before him... but one of his good friends was a Villan... and so in my formative years age 7,8 when Dad didn't have a season ticket for CCFC.. wed go about 6 games to Highfield Road, me Dad and his mate.. and 6 games to Villa park each year.. on my 12th Birthday Dad said we'd get a season ticket.. I could choose.. Villa or CCFC... knowing he was a true Sky blue I picked the City.. 35 years on, a season ticket every year since.. I'm still a Sky Blue.. always will be... and now my son to.
In the latter years of his life, before his passing dad always used to jibe me.. particularly when the song "My old man said be a Villa fan" was sung.. he'd finish off the song with the choice words making him smile even more....looking at me, as fathers do... he said that if I'd made a wiser choice, we'd not have suffered so all those years(except for 87?)... but there was glint in his eye when he said it.. he knew, I know.. forever Sky Blue...:claping hands:

PVA

My Dad wasn't into football until I was born. It's the other way round for us, he has me to blame for getting him into CCFC :):claping hands:

Nonleagueherewecome

I was always going to be CCFC as it was my dad's team. But my grandparents and great-grandparents kept trying to convert me to Man U. My great-grandad was a former Lord Mayor of Manchester and received a Knighthood for his services to the city (lots of Urban Renewal, as it's called now-clearing slums, basically.) He was a huge United fan, and being in his position of influence had access to the boardroom. He became good mates with Sir Matt Busby (lots of common political ground), met the likes of Best, Stiles and Charlton, was there when they won the European Cup-and had a huge crate full of memorabilia, including the European Cup Final programme signed by all the players.

I didn't really care what they said: my dad's old programmes from the 60's and 70's with the likes of Wallace & Ferguson held much more allure for me. No signed football could compete with the one my dad and his mate had swiped from Ryton following an errant shot. I dunno how my dad did it, but I was totally hooked from the age of 3, and no way would I rather support those Northern glory-boy's, with their mid-table position (sometimes below us). I honestly couldn't see what Man U had over us other than a sense of entitlement! Ooops.

Nonleagueherewecome

I spent a few years in Leamington a while back. I went to see the Brakes enough times to still look out for their results now. I have to say, whilst not experiencing the elation of a last minute Coventry winner, they were some of my happiest football memories. A club which cares about its fans, and fans from all over the country who wholeheartedly care about the club. The best fanzine, programme, youth set-up, club house, I could go on, for their size, of any place I've ever visited. I do sometimes lament the fact that I wasn't brought up a couple of miles south of where I was.

Win me back Coventry. Look at the woman next door and realise why I'm having an affair with her. She's got everything I want that you are not giving to me. Change your miserable, shameful ways and win me back.

Well said. They really are a cracking community club with a superb atmosphere. They've built everything they have themselves, and their history since they reformed is an absolute inspiration. If we do (God forbid) end up in a Phoenix Club scenario, we really should tap into the knowledge that's there (and enough of the key people involved are City fan's too!).

I hope they can get up to the Blue Square leagues soon. I'm not from Leam but live there-if I had been born born in the town, I seriously think I'd have considered going up the New Windmill as often as I do The Ricoh now.

hill83

Ajax or Plymouth.

Wouldn't change supporting us for the world though.

The Reverend Skyblue

MY Dad was born in Poplar London ,right by West Hams ground and all his family supported them ,so if he was'nt evacuated during the war to near Banbury i'm sure he would have took me to the Hammers, as he always had a soft spot for them for this reason.

Bloody Hitler, he not only murdered millions, he could have made my life much less painfree, and bloody stressful.
The bastard

The Rev

theprince

As a kid my old man was a Burnley fan from that neck of the woods and in 1961/62 as i got into football Burnley were almost the top English team along with Tottenham so supporting them would have been natural i suppose but a certain Jimmy Hill came along and turned all us kids into fanatics. My dad often had a season ticket though and always supported City. When i was 5 or 6 we nearly moved to London my dad got a job at my uncles business but it didn't happen, he was a mad Millwall fan, probably would have been to jail and have a matchday ban by now had we gone.

My family are all Cov, although the interest in City is at an all time low.
Now i live in Burnley after various other places, with a Burnley supporting missus. She's expecting our first child in March.
I like being the outsider up here as im staunchly proud of where im from.
Forgetting that I'll always follow Cov and have no allegiance to Burnley, why should i inflict this misery on my child?

Tonylinc

My family are all Cov, although the interest in City is at an all time low.
Now i live in Burnley after various other places, with a Burnley supporting missus. She's expecting our first child in March.
I like being the outsider up here as im staunchly proud of where im from.
Forgetting that I'll always follow Cov and have no allegiance to Burnley, why should i inflict this misery on my child?
He/She must be a CCFC supporter. Do your bit for our club mate!

Grendel

Apparantly my first game was a match at Carlisle but I can't remember it. My parents came from there.

So I guess I am lucky they came down here.

ccfcway

1st game was as a 7 years old away at the Dell

Southampton 8 - Coventry 2

I was hooked, and knew things could only get better

(im still waiting) :)

Users who are viewing this thread