"IF" we managed to get promoted... How would we fund it (3 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Mark Robins has revised his plans for Coventry City in the January transfer window.

The Sky Blues boss previously revealed he was planning to dip into the loan market when the mid-term window opens for business on Wednesday, with a target lined up and ready to “press the button” on.

But a combination of circumstances - cash flow and the quality he has closer to home - has resulted in a change in thinking.

Asked for an update on an imminent business and whether he has anything lined up for New Year’s Day of later this week, the 50-year-old revealed: “No, I won’t be doing anything I don’t think.

“There’s nothing out there that we can afford that’s going to improve us.

“We are where we are and got what we’ve got.”

SlowerThanPlatt

“If people move on or move out then maybe we’ll do something, but people always ask the question and I keep repeating myself,” said Robins.

“It’s tedious but we’ve all been to St Andrew’s where we have not got the same amount of support this season, so that in itself tells you a story.

“It makes it difficult but we have had front end backing so I can only really do what I can do.”

Adge

I agree. Get promotion and take it from there. If we come back down after a season so be it.
Yep-cross that bridge when/if we come to it.
Trouble is that we all know Sisu want a return on their money and have had several bids rejected apparently.
Does this mean then that if we did get to the Championship that Sisus price would be even more unrealistic?

clint van damme

Yep-cross that bridge when/if we come to it.
Trouble is that we all know Sisu want a return on their money and have had several bids rejected apparently.
Does this mean then that if we did get to the Championship that Sisus price would be even more unrealistic?

They said they would sell at the top of the cycle (of course that could be more bullshit), I'd say the Chamionship would be top of the cycle unless they're going to throw 25 million a season at it like Brighton did which obviously they won't.

Skybluemichael

Think it would be close to exit time for SISU, always sell at a peak, realistically they're never going to provide the funds to get us up to the prem, so it would be hang around and hope for a Mark Robins shaped miracle or risk relegation and back to being not worth much.

Charlton were sold to a Sheikh, they did however own their own ground. There are people out there that can afford a ticket to the championship lottery.
I don’t think sisu will be going anywhere until the eu investigation is over

Gazolba

I'm not sure what the clubs current wage bill is but have heard figures banded about that it's in the region of 2-3 million pound a year (correct me if I'm wrong) how can this club survive in the championship if its promoted?

The mid range championship wage bills now exceed over 30 million pounds leaving us as a club looking at a HUGE rise in wages just to compete financially.

<snip>
We'll worry about that if we get promoted.
If the clubs that get promoted each season manage it, we'll manage it.

peaches and cream

The only option would be to come back. If that was made possible we may have a slim chance of survival in the Championship if we managed to get up. If we maintain the status quo and remain in Brum or wherever they may decide to take us next, we would embarrass ourselves and come straight back down despite the good pubs/pitch or whatever is better this week.
For me I think a fair deal would be to charge a set rent for the season then have a open book policy on match day costs which CCFC cover plus a 5% management fee and then do a split of the profits from match day something like 80-20 in your favour that way the bigger crowds you get the more money you make. I know in an ideal world you would like 100% of match day profits but it’s just not going to happen at the moment

letsallsingtogether

How much are wasps worth.
Why dont sisu buy wasps then they get the ground income from both teams, then sell wasps on to a London consortium minus the ground let them rent for a million a season or they can move back home.
We get the ground no need to build get all the income boom job done.
Got to be cheaper then building a ground.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why would anyone want to buy Wasps without the ground? Same reason people on here argue about no-one wanting to buy us and there's far more potential for big returns (also higher risk) from us.

Even if we did that plan I guarantee Coventry City would not own the stadium - it would be held in a holding company and we'd pay rent to them to use it.

letsallsingtogether

Why would anyone want to buy Wasps without the ground? Same reason people on here argue about no-one wanting to buy us and there's far more potential for big returns (also higher risk) from us.

Even if we did that plan I guarantee Coventry City would not own the stadium - it would be held in a holding company and we'd pay rent to them to use it.
So we'll never own a ground then.

Grendel

How much are wasps worth.
Why dont sisu buy wasps then they get the ground income from both teams, then sell wasps on to a London consortium minus the ground let them rent for a million a season or they can move back home.
We get the ground no need to build get all the income boom job done.
Got to be cheaper then building a ground.

It’s a shareholder value of £50 million along with £40 million of debt. Pesky old council eh?

Grendel

The holding company argument is stupid

Id never want a company in charge that did not do that - would you?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The holding company argument is stupid

Id never want a company in charge that did not do that - would you?

Not quite sure what you're arguing there from the last sentence - are you arguing you'd never want a company that didn't separate out the stadium from the club or you'd never want a company in charge that did?

Who you look at it is dependent on how you look at the situation - as a fan or a business point of view.

From a fan point I'd always want the club to own the stadium.

From a business point of view it'd only make sense to separate them given the precarious nature of football finances.

A lot of owners are buying it from the club and make it a nice personal revenue stream for them with the rent etc they can charge to the club etc.

As I said above most secure way would be fan ownership with a peppercorn rent but highly unlikely a fans consortium could raise the cash necessary to buy and maintain it.

Grendel

Not quite sure what you're arguing there from the last sentence - are you arguing you'd never want a company that didn't separate out the stadium from the club or you'd never want a company in charge that did?

Who you look at it is dependent on how you look at the situation - as a fan or a business point of view.

From a fan point I'd always want the club to own the stadium.

From a business point of view it'd only make sense to separate them given the precarious nature of football finances.

A lot of owners are buying it from the club and make it a nice personal revenue stream for them with the rent etc they can charge to the club etc.

As I said above most secure way would be fan ownership with a peppercorn rent but highly unlikely a fans consortium could raise the cash necessary to buy and maintain it.

A football club should never own the stadium without a holding company

I have a half share in a manufacturing company and the first thing we did was have a holding company to protect the property

Any businessman who didn’t do that is an idiot

Users who are viewing this thread