"IF" we managed to get promoted... How would we fund it (3 Viewers)

Exit Stage Left

I had heard from someone linked to the club that they asked Robins to ease off at the back end of last season as it would have been too soon to go up again. In return they agreed to back him in the summer which they did.

That's really interesting.....I heard something similar from somebody linked to the club. Apparently they asked Robins at the back end of the season to tell the lads to concede 3 goals in the last 15 minutes of a game because some bloke in China had a really big bet on.
In return they would give him some extra transfer money in the summer from the winnings.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

I'm not sure what the clubs current wage bill is but have heard figures banded about that it's in the region of 2-3 million pound a year (correct me if I'm wrong) how can this club survive in the championship if its promoted?

The mid range championship wage bills now exceed over 30 million pounds leaving us as a club looking at a HUGE rise in wages just to compete financially.

Would it be more a case of hope our current squad stays together and we add 1 or 2 and hope for the best?

Seems like we'd be way out of our depth in that division in our current state

Obviously a big IF but I think its worth discussing

According to some. We will be lucky to finish top 8! Jeez I'd be be unhappy if we didnt finish top 2. Never mind my conservative prediction of top 6.

Exit Stage Left

How does that still go on in this day and age ?. Surely technology can pick out these pubs a mile off ?

A caller who rang up CWR after today's game admitted he had watched the game in a pub in Bedworth who were showing the game via an illegal stream. At least the caller had the sense not to name the pub on air.

Londonccfcfan

Robins. Thank you for me the belief that we should win this league. Lost the fewest games in the league. One minus a few more games drawn than desired. But punching above our weight. Only gave way through the season. Yet to see anyone outplay us.

Reactions: TTG

SlowerThanPlatt

Robins. Thank you for me the belief that we should win this league. Lost the fewest games in the league. One minus a few more games drawn than desired. But punching above our weight. Only gave way through the season. Yet to see anyone outplay us.
Did we not lose 4-0 to Rotherham?

cc84cov

I had heard from someone linked to the club that they asked Robins to ease off at the back end of last season as it would have been too soon to go up again. In return they agreed to back him in the summer which they did.
Absolute nonsense as if that convo even took place lol

letsallsingtogether

“We’re going for it”

Sisu will be wanting promotion just as much as us mate hence the £750k on Godden etc
Did sisu pay that or was it a loan?
Serious question the company I work for a little family affair made more money then sisu.

Brighton Sky Blue

Brentford wage bill was 17 million last season, Millwall had a smaller one at 13.
Preston have a bill around Brentford size too...

Reading actually had a 35 million wage bill last season

We would see annual payments from the PL go up by about £6 million. TV revenue per home game of £100k and £10k per away game. On last season's Ricoh gates this would push us to around £10 million turnover (perhaps a bit higher), which is similar to where it was when we got relegated in 2012. Now there are many more clubs prepared to gamble everything including their grounds on promotion from that league and able to chuck millions at players who sit on the bench. We would be best advised simply trying to finish 21st every season until we either draw a tycoon ourselves or the ground situation significantly changes.

Brighton Sky Blue

Why do people keep coming out with this? SISU turned off the cash pipe after Coleman's second fucked up season. What he spends now is related to what we bring in from player sales and tickets

Grendel

Why do people keep coming out with this? SISU turned off the cash pipe after Coleman's second fucked up season. What he spends now is related to what we bring in from player sales and tickets

They have had to fund loans and it will be interesting to see how much has had to be loaned this season to cover losses

ccfc1234

We need to get there and I would recommend not getting carried away on that front just yet.
With regards to the OP. Sheffield utd are a great example of how money spent has little correlation with where a club finishes in the league. West Ham have spend 45 million on Heller and many other 20m + players and are looking hopeless Sheffield utd is the total opposite and to some extent Burnley too whos record transfer fee is 15 million in the premiership.
Team spirit, tactics and determination coupled with a degree of skill can go a very long way.

Brighton Sky Blue

They have had to fund loans and it will be interesting to see how much has had to be loaned this season to cover losses

They have used loans to cover losses but this is quite different from a strategy to ‘back him in the market’

hill83

giphy.gif

covcity4life

We need to get there and I would recommend not getting carried away on that front just yet.
With regards to the OP. Sheffield utd are a great example of how money spent has little correlation with where a club finishes in the league. West Ham have spend 45 million on Heller and many other 20m + players and are looking hopeless Sheffield utd is the total opposite and to some extent Burnley too whos record transfer fee is 15 million in the premiership.
Team spirit, tactics and determination coupled with a degree of skill can go a very long way.
a good point

obviously the chances are slim but if we now have a brand of play/DNA whatever you want to call it, it will serve us well even against superior teams

i hope we can go on a cup run, be nice to put that to test

Adge

The only option would be to come back. If that was made possible we may have a slim chance of survival in the Championship if we managed to get up. If we maintain the status quo and remain in Brum or wherever they may decide to take us next, we would embarrass ourselves and come straight back down despite the good pubs/pitch or whatever is better this week.

Grendel

The only option would be to come back. If that was made possible we may have a slim chance of survival in the Championship if we managed to get up. If we maintain the status quo and remain in Brum or wherever they may decide to take us next, we would embarrass ourselves and come straight back down despite the good pubs/pitch or whatever is better this week.

Burton and Rotherham have had seasons where they have survived - the extra revenue of gate receipts wouldn’t make much difference

In our final season in the championship I think we were the 4th lowest in terms of revenue on an average gate of 16,000

stupot07

If we managed to get promoted, we would continue to live within our means, even if it mean getting relegated again.

It doesn't matter if we're at the ricoh or brum, the amount of cash the teams are throwing around we wouldnt compete financially.

If we got promoted and kept this squad, I think we'd have a fairly decent mid table season first off.

There's no point worrying about 'IFs'. Let's just enjoy this season and hope we have a promotion to celebrate.

Championship 'bubble waiting to burst' with clubs posting record losses in Premier League 'gamble'

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adge

If we managed to get promoted, we would continue to live within our means, even if it mean getting relegated again.

It doesn't matter if we're at the ricoh or brum, the amount of cash the teams are throwing around we wouldnt compete financially.

If we got promoted and kept this squad, I think we'd have a fairly decent mid table season first off.

There's no point worrying about 'IFs'. Let's just enjoy this season and hope we have a promotion to celebrate.

Championship 'bubble waiting to burst' with clubs posting record losses in Premier League 'gamble'

That is very very optimistic-maybe 3 or 4 players at a push may be able to compete. The rest would be out of their depth in the Championship.

Adge

Burton and Rotherham have had seasons where they have survived - the extra revenue of gate receipts wouldn’t make much difference

In our final season in the championship I think we were the 4th lowest in terms of revenue on an average gate of 16,000
True-not sure that they are quite the basket case that we are though.

stupot07

That is very very optimistic-maybe 3 or 4 players at a push may be able to compete. The rest would be out of their depth in the Championship.
It's less about which players would stand out more of the team being more than the sum of its parts. This group of players have gelled, they understand the system, and are playing some really high quality football. I think we would be more than good enough to survive the first season.

Grendel

True-not sure that they are quite the basket case that we are though.

The point is though that the revenue we’d make at the Ricoh versus here is minimal - with away support we’d get 10,000 plus a game

The deal to go back would be far more than we paid before we left as well

Would Birmingham want us there if in the same division though?

Grendel

It's less about which players would stand out more of the team being more than the sum of its parts. This group of players have gelled, they understand the system, and are playing some really high quality football. I think we would be more than good enough to survive the first season.

We would really struggle to score any goals. Only Godden would be remotely good enough of all the forwards and even he would probably struggle to adapt at that level

Kelly isn’t going to be good enough at his age, Walsh would be gone and I think Shipley would lack pace there - we have no huge assets to sell either

If we played the system we play we’d be hammered a lot

Magwitch

Would they ? We have some good youngsters in our squad add some experience possibly through the loan market like many championship club do and we could be okay.
I seem to remember similar things being said last season

mrtrench

I also heard that Liverpool couldn't afford to win the Premiership last year, which is why they pulled back. But were promised that the money was there to win it this year, which is why they are now 10 points clear.

Users who are viewing this thread