"IF" we managed to get promoted... How would we fund it (2 Viewers)

Danceswithhorses

Dabo, McCallum, Godden, Westbrooke, Rose, Hyam all worth fees if we need it. Jones if he can prove his fitness again and Shipley if his trajectory continues. I think that having that many saleable assets highlights the squad is in a good position to step up a level with a few astute signings.
Good point...and being in the Championship would inflate the transfer fees (compared to div 1) that we could screw out of other clubs (bizarrely for essentially the same player)

Exit Stage Left

I also heard that Liverpool couldn't afford to win the Premiership last year, which is why they pulled back. But were promised that the money was there to win it this year, which is why they are now 10 points clear.

Thank you for explaining that Trench. I was wondering why Liverpool were playing so well this season and the other teams were playing so badly. They were probably allowed to win the Champions League last season as thank you for allowing Man City to the win league title.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yes and like another poster pointed out, we’d take the extra income while keeping the investment in the squad the same.

Anyway, when/if we do get promoted to the Championship we will be one of the favourites to go down whatever the case

Brighton Sky Blue

Yes and like another poster pointed out, we’d take the extra income while keeping the investment in the squad the same.

Anyway, when/if we do get promoted to the Championship we will be one of the favourites to go down whatever the case

Suppose Bournemouth went down this season and we went up. Their TV money alone is about 25 times our turnover even with the shit gates they have. Even after relegation they’d still get £40-50 million in the first parachute payment

Danceswithhorses

Suppose Bournemouth went down this season and we went up. Their TV money alone is about 25 times our turnover even with the shit gates they have. Even after relegation they’d still get £40-50 million in the first parachute payment
Wow, when you put it like that...that's so clearly unfair to all but the relegated teams.
Might mean Callum Wilson is sold though ?

Grendel

Brentford do well, on a small wage bill il find out what it is, I believe its the smallest in the division

A couple of years ago it was £17 million, similar to Ipswich - the lowest were Barnsley and Burton with £10 and £11 million and they were relegated.

It’s also why we desperately need promotion as teams like Stoke and Derby who are near the drop zone have bills of £50 million

I would guess ours is below £4 million

hill83

It's less about which players would stand out more of the team being more than the sum of its parts. This group of players have gelled, they understand the system, and are playing some really high quality football. I think we would be more than good enough to survive the first season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not necessarily agreeing with you that we would be more than good enough to survive, but I do agree with the team being more than the sum of its parts. Far too much emphasis is put on individuals. We would need a proper goal scorer though.

Somerset Sky Blue

Wow, when you put it like that...that's so clearly unfair to all but the relegated teams.
Might mean Callum Wilson is sold though ?
True, but not every team has just been relegated.
We've got to hope for promotion, then a season (or 2 or 3..) of consolidation in the champ, finishing between 10th and 19th, hoping the ground situation resolved itself and we become gradually stronger as a team.
I would expect our team (with a few ins and outs) to cope with the lower half of champ.
How long robins would get from the fans if he was fighting relegation each season is another question!

Grendel

True, but not every team has just been relegated.
We've got to hope for promotion, then a season (or 2 or 3..) of consolidation in the champ, finishing between 10th and 19th, hoping the ground situation resolved itself and we become gradually stronger as a team.
I would expect our team (with a few ins and outs) to cope with the lower half of champ.
How long robins would get from the fans if he was fighting relegation each season is another question!

Pretty much every team that has the lowest wage bill goes down within a season or two and they are around 300% of our wage bill

I was going to start a thread on it asking Van we afford it or not - if I had no doubt Harvey and Danny would misread it and ably assisted by Cockney Cov when on the Tenants Super reduced it to playground insults

now it’s been done it’s a point of worthy discussion

The self sustainability model doesn’t work in the championship - climbs like reading have close to £40m

It’s highly probable we would go down and then there is a whole new debate. Should the club try and survive by competing? As the owners have no investment capacity left do we - as Burton did - use the extra £6 million on wages. If we do and go down we’d need an instant return or would be in severe financial strife

Sheffield United performed miracles to go up but for context the wage bill was seven times ours

Magwitch

As always it will be down to good management like Chris Wilder, linked with us once, has proved at Sheffield United, good recruitment and clever use of the loan market and don’t laugh good support from our owner.

Grendel

As always it will be down to good management like Chris Wilder, linked with us once, has proved at Sheffield United, good recruitment and clever use of the loan market and don’t laugh good support from our owner.

Wilder had a £20 million wage budget to play with which was similar to Ipswich and Preston - where will the owners find £17 million a season from?

Grendel

The other issue which I have alluded yo is would Birmingham want is there if we are competing in the same division?

Would it mean a move even further away

Somerset Sky Blue

Pretty much every team that has the lowest wage bill goes down within a season or two and they are around 300% of our wage bill

I was going to start a thread on it asking Van we afford it or not - if I had no doubt Harvey and Danny would misread it and ably assisted by Cockney Cov when on the Tenants Super reduced it to playground insults

The self sustainability model doesn’t work in the championship - climbs like reading have close to £40m

It’s highly probable we would go down and then there is a whole new debate. Should the club try and survive by competing? As the owners have no investment capacity left do we - as Burton did - use the extra £6 million on wages. If we do and go down we’d need an instant return or would be in severe financial strife

Sheffield United performed miracles to go up but for context the wage bill was seven times ours
Some good points here.
I've just checked statzone (a couple of years out of date), but looks at trends of relegation following promotion. 40 per cent chance of relegation once getting to premier, but a out 20 per cent for the championship. Whilst we won't be a strong team, two other teams coming up with us and some weakish teams already present.
So, perhaps not probable but possible for relegation...if that makes us any happier!

robbiekeane

We would need a sugar daddy. It’s a weird weird kind of financial purgatory isn’t it, the championship.

You can probably survive in league one breaking even depending on gates. You can survive breaking even or even turning a profit in the premier league, regardless of gates.
But the Championship you need to spend way above your means to survive.

SlowerThanPlatt

The other issue which I have alluded yo is would Birmingham want is there if we are competing in the same division?

That’s what I thought, we’re not a threat to them atm being in different leagues but I can’t see them being too welcoming if we’re competing for the same points in the same division

Somerset Sky Blue

Who knows - how much are they earning from us (is it about a million)? If so, can they afford to not accept it?
Don't know the deal, but do they get a cut of f&b and parking? Would sponsors like it?
If so, Birmingham might be happy enough?

Grendel

Some good points here.
I've just checked statzone (a couple of years out of date), but looks at trends of relegation following promotion. 40 per cent chance of relegation once getting to premier, but a out 20 per cent for the championship. Whilst we won't be a strong team, two other teams coming up with us and some weakish teams already present.
So, perhaps not probable but possible for relegation...if that makes us any happier!

The real issue is though do we gamble and spend the money on wages. We would not be able to remotely compete with what we have now. Use the TV Money and it’s possible but still will be a dogfight

Millwall seem to have found a way to Sri I around a bit on low crowds and they have £14 million bill

RegTheDonk

The point is though that the revenue we’d make at the Ricoh versus here is minimal - with away support we’d get 10,000 plus a game

The deal to go back would be far more than we paid before we left as well

Would Birmingham want us there if in the same division though?
If it's a lack of revenue at the Ricoh, I'd assume our lot are hoping that Wasps would be in enough of a financially challenged position to take a reasonable rent deal plus a worth while cut of the match day income and any related sponsorship that having CCFC as a tennant would generate. While that might get the club on a better footing to tread water, we've never really challenged for the Champ play offs before, even when playing in Cov. Without some investment in the squad or some bored billionare arab flashing some cash, SISU will be clicking their heels forever and will never make their money back.

I agree with what you've said elsewhere: even if they allow it, stopping in Brum (or any other groundshare) isn't the answer. But with the counicl propping up wasps and our never ending "search" for a suitable new home - never mind who's going to pay for it - I can't see any way out of this stalemate that will work out really well for the club.

Something has got to dramatically change, weather we get promoted or not.

Somerset Sky Blue

That’s what I thought, we’re not a threat to them atm being in different leagues but I can’t see them being too welcoming if we’re competing for the same points in the same division
What threat are we by being in the same ground?
We aren't going to steal fans, we give them some of our revenue - both help them.
If we played at (for example, not a suggestion!), Walkers crisp bowl, they lose revenue and we still play away from cov.

SlowerThanPlatt

What threat are we by being in the same ground?
We aren't going to steal fans, we give them some of our revenue - both help them.
If we played at (for example, not a suggestion!), Walkers crisp bowl, they lose revenue and we still play away from cov.

That if we got promoted we would be competing in the same league for the same points.

They’re 17th atm so it doesn’t look like they’re going up anytime soon

shmmeee

Go up, keep team. Finish 20th. Sell McCallum, Shipley, Hyam, Dabo and Westbrooke for a combined £100m. Get relegated season after, roll around in Joys handbag collection.

Somerset Sky Blue

The real issue is though do we gamble and spend the money on wages. We would not be able to remotely compete with what we have now. Use the TV Money and it’s possible but still will be a dogfight

Millwall seem to have found a way to Sri I around a bit on low crowds and they have £14 million bill
If Sisi continue with the reported not investing or withdrawing funds, what happens to the extra money?
If robins is allowed to spend on higher wages and fees that would help - but our players may have promotion clauses for wages and payments too.
And...Sisu may want some cash back.
The ground is the bigger long term issue. Maybe we could use the money to put towards the search and groundworks!

Somerset Sky Blue

That if we got promoted we would be competing in the same league for the same points.

They’re 17th atm so it doesn’t look like they’re going up anytime soon
True, but if we get promoted, they are competing with us regardless. 'helping' us by hosting our home games is nice - but they are getting money that helps their club.
If they think it'll make a difference to how they compete in the league, of course they won't accept. I just think, financially, it would be a bonus for them, helping to afford more wages on better players to compete against us!

Grendel

True, but if we get promoted, they are competing with us regardless. 'helping' us by hosting our home games is nice - but they are getting money that helps their club.
If they think it'll make a difference to how they compete in the league, of course they won't accept. I just think, financially, it would be a bonus for them, helping to afford more wages on better players to compete against us!

The issues will be extra policing, more disrupted weekends for residents, the home game against them and the risk we could do better than them which would be an embarrassment

Somerset Sky Blue

The issues will be extra policing, more disrupted weekends for residents, the home game against them and the risk we could do better than them which would be an embarrassment
Extra policing we would pay for (I think), local residents...clubs don't always seem to care about - the embarrassment is probably the biggest issue for them!
Personally, I'd share my ground to earn an extra million or two (no idea if that figure is accurate), for the potential embarrassment of being beaten by the tenants, especially in a league like the championship where every million counts.

clint van damme

Unless we get some rich tycoon willing to throw money at us I never want to see us gambling with money we don't have again.

Anyone advocating doing so must be totally oblivious to what's gone on at the club in the last 20 years.

covcity4life

Unless we get some rich tycoon willing to throw money at us I never want to see us gambling with money we don't have again.

Anyone advocating doing so must be totally oblivious to what's gone on at the club in the last 20 years.
just being back in championship makes us an option for perspective new owners tbh

no matter if you dream of promotion to prem or are sure we will get relegated back down to league 1 i think we can all agree its still somewhere we want to be next season so should look forward to it not fear it

hopefully we can get back to cov for it too on favourable terms

clint van damme

just being back in championship makes us an option for perspective new owners tbh

no matter if you dream of promotion to prem or are sure we will get relegated back down to league 1 i think we can all agree its still somewhere we want to be next season so should look forward to it not fear it

hopefully we can get back to cov for it too on favourable terms

I agree. Get promotion and take it from there. If we come back down after a season so be it.

CCFC88

Think it would be close to exit time for SISU, always sell at a peak, realistically they're never going to provide the funds to get us up to the prem, so it would be hang around and hope for a Mark Robins shaped miracle or risk relegation and back to being not worth much.

Charlton were sold to a Sheikh, they did however own their own ground. There are people out there that can afford a ticket to the championship lottery.

Travs

Some good points here.

It probably depends who would come up... if Ipswich/Portsmouth/Sunderland went up, you may expect them to kick on and perhaps stay up more comfortably..... (as I think we would if our off-the-field shenanigans were ever resolved).

if a Wycombe/Peterborough/Fleetwood came up, then they may struggle as they can’t physically get the crowds in to improve the budget, and it would take a “Burton” situation for them to succeed...

Users who are viewing this thread