Transfer Rumour Ian Maatsen (3 Viewers)

DannyThomas_1981

Danny you’ve called everyone in this forum a moron if they’ve never played football to your level

However despite numerous times of asking you’ve never said what that level is

I haven't called everyone a moron - mostly you and it's more than deserved Grendel my friend as I'm sure deep down you will appreciate!

Gone through this before. Never claimed to be elite - far from it.

I was on the schoolboy books of a lower league club but honestly was never good enough to make it.

Then later had a completely different career across quite a few countries which gave me the chance to play at quite good levels in those countries with some elite ex professionals - and sometimes against visiting pro teams. Both of which more than proved that I was very average on the pitch.

I'm sure there are others on here who have played at far higher levels than I have.

These days and for the record I'd be a liability to the Dog and Duck 3rds.

As someone who didn't make it in football - I hope to think I have some appreciation of how good you have to be to make it - I hope that doesn't come over as arrogant but it just annoys me to listen to constant and unfair criticism of some of our players on here and at games - criticism of players who have made it to an unbelievable level in the game.

As you and I once discussed (and as always disagreed!) it's harder to make it as a pro footballer than nearly any other career given the level of competition and talent required - and I don't think that's always appreciated. Calling our players 'shit' is in most cases clueless and unfair. I'm also a believer in supporting the lads who wear the shirt - it's fucking intense out there on the pitch at this level and they deserve our support.

blunted

I haven't called everyone a moron - mostly you and it's more than deserved Grendel my friend as I'm sure deep down you will appreciate!

I was on the schoolboy books of a lower league club but honestly was never good enough to make it.

Then later had a completely different career across quite a few countries which gave me the chance to play at quite good levels in those countries with some elite ex professionals - and sometimes against visiting pro teams. Both of which more than proved that I was very average on the pitch.

I'm sure there are others on here who have played at far higher levels than I have.

As someone who didn't make it in football - I hope to think I have some appreciation of how good you have to be to make it - I hope that doesn't come over as arrogant but it just annoys me to listen to constant and unfair criticism of some of our players on here and at games - criticism of players who have made it to an unbelievable level in the game.

As you and I once discussed (and as always disagreed!) it's harder to make it as a pro footballer than nearly any other career given the level of competition and talent required - and I don't think that's always appreciated. Calling our players 'shit' is in most cases clueless and unfair. I'm also a believer in supporting the lads who wear the shirt - it's fucking intense out there on the pitch at this level and they deserve our support.
My neighbour played for Crystal Palace and my SIL boyfriend for Newport IOW. If you listen to them getting pissed in the garden, you realise what a scary, tough and nasty game professional and semi-pro football is/was. Titanium collar bones and knees all around.

DannyThomas_1981

I get your point but we as fans pay a lot of money to watch these players so should be able to voice an opinion on their performances

Got it procdoc.

But there's a big difference between a balanced and relatively informed opinion (for example, Player X doesn't fit into this system given the formation etc. vs. what we saw last season with some twats on here gleefully jumping on every mistake made by a player, and then week in and week out mocking and deriding targeted players. Followed by calling players who have made it to the Championship as 'shit.' Seriously does my head in).

As for booing our own players at games (and in no way suggesting you are an advocate of this - I don't think that you are) - I also pay my money to watch and I think it's pretty much indefensible to boo your own team/targeted players - it kills morale. makes us look like twats as fans and gives the opposition a real lift. Some moron will now give me multiple examples of where booing and targeting players for abuse has really helped the team - and I agree it's a free country and everyone has a right to boo and hurl abuse at our own players - I just think it's completely fucking senseless and damaging.

skybluesam66

Don’t worry Danny. You are trying to argue with the person who you move seats to avoid if you are at a game

Grendel

Don’t worry Danny. You are trying to argue with the person who you move seats to avoid if you are at a game

There is as much chance of seeing Danny at a game as there is Elvis on a double decker bus on the moon

procdoc

Got it procdoc.

But there's a big difference between a balanced and relatively informed opinion (for example, Player X doesn't fit into this system given the formation etc. vs. what we saw last season with some twats on here gleefully jumping on every mistake made by a player, and then week in and week out mocking and deriding targeted players. Followed by calling players who have made it to the Championship as 'shit.' Seriously does my head in).

As for booing our own players at games (and in no way suggesting you are an advocate of this - I don't think that you are) - I also pay my money to watch and I think it's pretty much indefensible to boo your own team/targeted players - it kills morale. makes us look like twats as fans and gives the opposition a real lift. Some moron will now give me multiple examples of where booing and targeting players for abuse has really helped the team - and I agree it's a free country and everyone has a right to boo and hurl abuse at our own players - I just think it's completely fucking senseless and damaging.
I have never booed our players, not even Bellamy or Kyle! But I have shouted out in frustration if someone doesn’t do the basic tracking back, there is no excuse for laziness

hitmanhearns

No sad faces at Charlton by the look of it, I don´t think it´s sour grapes either.

"...not really bothered about this he was like Millar very frustrating to watch and very average defender interesting to see how he gets on in the championship in a struggling side "....

Most comments on the Charlton forums seems the same unfourtunatley.

AFCCOVENTRY

No sad faces at Charlton by the look of it, I don´t think it´s sour grapes either.

"...not really bothered about this he was like Millar very frustrating to watch and very average defender interesting to see how he gets on in the championship in a struggling side "....

Lol. In a struggling side…

Ccfcisparks

Right, fuck it then send him back, now I've learnt that I'd rather try Mason.

Brighton Sky Blue

Pretty tame compared to what was said about Maddison on departure

South West Sky Blue

Don’t blame them. I was desperate for Walsh coz he was one of us, young, class and available on a free.
When he had the outrageous cheek to choose a different location to ply his trade, he was suddenly injury ridden and unproven at this level!

SeaSeeEffCee

Pretty tame compared to what was said about Maddison on departure
Tbf if you use the search function on their forum they were saying it all season. General consensus was that they wouldn’t be bothered if they didn’t keep him/didn’t think he was an upgrade on what they had.

However they did play him at LB in a 4 for a lot of the season and it sounds like he’s a lot better as a LWB in a 5.

Brighton Sky Blue

Tbf if you use the search function on their forum they were saying it all season. General consensus was that they wouldn’t be bothered if they didn’t keep him/didn’t think he was an upgrade on what they had.

However they did play him at LB in a 4 for a lot of the season and it sounds like he’s a lot better as a LWB in a 5.

Well we’ll see how it goes, if he’s all there was then we’ve just got to work with it

AFCCOVENTRY

He played in the wrong system which didn’tget the best of him. He is a wing back not a LB. we should get the best of him as an attacker.

procdoc

I pay no attention to what people say on forums. Madders on here took a lot of stick, I seem to remember Fleck getting stick too. Their manager wanted him back, most of these managers tend to know more about the players than we do!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Slight concern about his size and think teams may look to exploit that but IF we can get a LCB who can cover him that will help.

Hopefully he'll be a big success but as with a lot of modern day full-backs/wing-backs a lot of that can depend on if they get to spend most of their time attacking rather than defending.

Greggs

Who did you play for buddy? I've a few decent sides....Rugby Town, Kenilworth Town, Sphinx and once turned up a bit pissed for a Beduff United training session!

Users who are viewing this thread