Transfer Rumour Ian Maatsen (1 Viewer)

rexo87

Signing next week according to the athletic

Chelsea academy graduate Ian Maatsen will join Coventry City next week on a season-long loan, reports Liam Twomey.

Maatsen, 19, spent last season on loan in League One with Charlton Athletic, making 34 appearances and scoring his first senior professional goal in a 1-0 win over Doncaster Rovers in April.

Last month Charlton manager Nigel Adkins confirmed that he would be interested in bringing Maatsen back to The Valley, but both the player and Chelsea favoured a Championship loan to further his development.

Coventry intend to deploy Maatsen as a left wing-back in their system, and it is hoped that manager Mark Robins’ expansive passing style will give the Dutch youth international opportunities to take his game to the next level.

Maatsen was involved in the early days of Chelsea’s preseason training at Cobham, but was not part of the squad that travelled to Republic of Ireland on Tuesday. He will complete his move to Coventry next week.

Chelsea did not seek to extend the contract of Maatsen — who signed a new deal in March 2020 that commits him to the club until at least June 2024 — but he is regarded internally as one of the club’s more promising youngsters.

Maatsen does not turn 20 until March 2022, and will be hoping to return to Chelsea next summer with a second full season of regular football under his belt and his reputation further enhanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Briles

Obligatory highlight reel

SeaSeeEffCee

Sounds like he could be a decent signing, although some mixed reviews from Charlton fans. Will have to wait and see.

junglej13

When @Skybluebeliever mentioned the Chelsea link I hoped this may be who we were in for. Had a quick search last night to see whether he had featured for Chelsea in pre-season. Their u23s had just postponed a game and there was some suggestion he may have covid I think I read.

Frostie

Exactly the kind of signing I was hoping/expecting.

Much more gifted going forward than McCallum although does need to improve end product still, probably not as consistent defensively & obviously less physical strength but quick & with a great delivery. Definately looks like we're going to try & get on the front foot more next season. Likes a yellow card though.

Not too concerned by Charlton fans' comments, every young player has dips in form.

ccfcricoh

Exactly the kind of signing I was hoping/expecting.

Much more gifted going forward than McCallum although does need to improve end product still, probably not as consistent defensively & obviously less physical strength but quick & with a great delivery. Definately looks like we're going to try & get on the front foot more next season. Likes a yellow card though.

Not too concerned by Charlton fans' comments, every young player has dips in form.
Especially not concerned when their manager stated he wanted him back again

Danceswithhorses

Looks decent for a 19yo...quick, has a few tricks, can score (used as a left mid for Netherlands).
Loves a slide tackle it seems :unsure::whistle:

Londonccfcfan

Slightly younger than Macallum....i wont get too excited about this fella. Seems very raw...didn't pull up trees in league 1.

Gutted we missed out Sam. QPR will be fighting for top 6 this season. And Sam has the potential to be easily one the best left backs/LWB in the division. His development steep upward trajectory.

Replacing a a championship proven and league 1 winning proven player with an unproven kid doesn't have me jumping up and down.

shmmeee

Looks like he’s got potential. Could be a McCallum, could be a Giles, hopefully somewhere between the two in style. Passing rate is much better than McCallums which was my main concern.

David O'Day

Slightly younger than Macallum....i wont get too excited about this fella. Seems very raw...didn't pull up trees in league 1.

Gutted we missed out Sam. QPR will be fighting for top 6 this season. And Sam has the potential to be easily one the best left backs/LWB in the division. His development steep upward trajectory.

Replacing a a championship proven and league 1 winning proven player with an unproven kid doesn't have me jumping up and down.

What?

fernandopartridge

Mccallum was completely unproven at this level this time last year you silly moo

KenilworthSkyBlue

Really good watch.

You can tell he's a player that is desperate to make it in the game and has an excellent work ethic.

Looking forward to seeing him in action.

jordan210

When @Skybluebeliever mentioned the Chelsea link I hoped this may be who we were in for. Had a quick search last night to see whether he had featured for Chelsea in pre-season. Their u23s had just postponed a game and there was some suggestion he may have covid I think I read.

Think he played for 1st team in a preseason a few days ago. Played whole second half.

covcity4life

View of some Charlton fans, up and down season it seems:

Alot of the negativity is from the forum wum it seems mind you

He was 18 when he joined them. Got to expect goijg off boil

Maybe this season too. But when hes on it it looks like he's good.

We could have a very good attack this year!

SlowerThanPlatt

Perhaps the management think this guy is/can be better?

Londonccfcfan

Mccallum was completely unproven at this level this time last year you silly moo

Agreed....by comparing our team by the end of last season...we are still weaker.
Probably accepted we are gonna have to take a punt. And armt gonna get a proven left back at this level.

Let's hope this lad can defend ...I'm not sure he slot into left back role.

Certainly looks exciting going forward.

Liquid Gold

If we have a fully fit Dabo getting forward on the right and this kid getting forward on the left then we could really push teams back and hem them in.

We do need some more physicality and height in the backline now though as we will be targeted with the long diagonals.

Users who are viewing this thread