Match Thread Hull (A) Friday 15th September (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Fans were fucking incredible in the second half tonight by the way. Watching Hull fans trying to compete with Twist and Shout was a joy. Hopeless.

Long journey at a ground we've played at loads and we sold it out.

BlueSkiesForever

I think the one definite thing that this Hull game has proved is that those who were saying our defence is worse than our attack are plain wrong. We got tired, the midfield and the lack of chance creation once again let us down, it meant we were constantly on the back foot but for most of that game we were so solid and hard to beat. I think our defence (bar the Watford game blip) is one of the best in the league atm.

TomRad85

Playing Godden as a lone striker is one of the most batshit mental posts I've seen on here in a while. And there's plenty of competition.
Exactly, he bails out his performances with a goal every now and again (more than you can say of the others atm tbf) but he offers so little against the defenders. No physicality and why Wilson ever goes long to him I have to idea as he'll never out sprint anyone either.
If you go one up top it has to be Wright for me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

Think we are only 1 point down on last seasons total for the same fixtures tbf, assuming Leicester = Burnley, -2 home vs Sunderland, +1 away vs Hull. All others same as far as I can remember.

TomRad85

I'm still fuming about that midfield, using this place as a vent. That defence was fantastic and that's with 2 other very good defenders on the bench ready to come in and keep it ticking over. But the midfield... fucking hell, I mean what is there? Such a lack of creativity.

Kelly was actually OK, him individually I thought for what he is he was pretty close to the best version of him, but its not good enough is it really for a team that's had this investment to completely neglect such a vital part of the pitch.

Balli001

Robins needs to come up with a plan for the next 2 months. Kelly abysmal tonight, just gave the ball away and fouled the opposition all night
There speaks a guy who didnt watch the game. He wasnt abysmal at all. I thought he played well. He cant suddenly become Sheaf and develop new skills overnight can he? He even had probably our best effort on goal in open play

Deity

I'm still fuming about that midfield, using this place as a vent. That defence was fantastic and that's with 2 other very good defenders on the bench ready to come in and keep it ticking over. But the midfield... fucking hell, I mean what is there? Such a lack of creativity.

Kelly was actually OK, him individually I thought for what he is he was pretty close to the best version of him, but its not good enough is it really for a team that's had this investment to completely neglect such a vital part of the pitch.

I think fans are confusing not being able to land their midfield targets, and not trying too.

we tried several options but failed, that isn’t neglect.

TomRad85

O'Hare's return will go some way to solve lack of creativity. I think Wright will come good, he's got too many good attributes not to. Eventually I think we will revert to box midfield with Ayari and O'Hare behind him as lone striker.
Yeh I think that's probably the best way to go as things stand.

Boicey

There’s an awful lot of expectation on COH to make midfield and attack work significantly better. A massive ask.
The biggest worry is it looks like we’ve pissed away most the transfer money on a sub par front two (and not got anywhere with the ‘hamer issue’)
Seriously how many goals are Wright, Simms gonna score in the league between them this season?

TomRad85

There’s an awful lot of expectation on COH to make midfield and attack work significantly better. A massive ask.
The biggest worry is it looks like we’ve pissed away most the transfer money on a sub par front two (and not got anywhere with the ‘hamer issue’)
Seriously how many goals are Wright, Simms gonna score in the league between them this season?
There's still over £10 million left isn't there?

SBAndy

What concerns me is that we’ve spent heavily on 2 strikers and become wedded to a system that I don’t think works as well as the 3421 we were playing for the majority of last season. Not sure I’m keen on 2 up top as we don’t have the personnel to keep control of the midfield without the extra man. It’s also why I didn’t massively understand the Wright signing.

TomRad85

What concerns me is that we’ve spent heavily on 2 strikers and become wedded to a system that I don’t think works as well as the 3421 we were playing for the majority of last season. Not sure I’m keen on 2 up top as we don’t have the personnel to keep control of the midfield without the extra man. It’s also why I didn’t massively understand the Wright signing.
Stick Wright up top with a couple of creative midfielders in the box behind him and I think he'd do well. For me he's shown enough to think he will still come good, although obviously strikers live and die by their goal tallies.

Sky Blue Harry H

Wouldn't be that hard to dig out posts questioning Gyokeres' signing, saying Hamer was a liability, and that Fadz should be binned about 4 seasons ago. All wrong in hindsight. Let's wait and see.

SBAndy

Stick Wright up top with a couple of creative midfielders in the box behind him and I think he'd do well. For me he's shown enough to think he will still come good, although obviously strikers live and die by their goal tallies.

It’s not so much that I don’t rate him, but I didn’t understand why we went bollocks out on 2 strikers for big money. Certainly wouldn’t be averse to what you suggest, just think that actually we should have funded improvement in the midfield ahead of signing another striker at that stage.

Deity

Incompetence then?

That’s not how football works.

You can have your targets but there are many reasons for not landing them ….

club don’t want to sell
Club do want to sell but not until they have their replacement in
Other clubs want him and the player chooses one of them
Player wants to come but we can’t meet his wage demands
Player gets injured in training / match

Don’t get me wrong I would have preferred we had signed an 8 but given the window we have had I don’t doubt that we tried incredibly hard to do so.

SIR ERNIE

The midfield would have been a lot more solid and capable of more creativity if we'd played one up top and an extra midfielder. That should be the shape away from home, especially against the better teams.
Ayari and Sakamoto are capable of killer passes and MVE's pace will cause plenty of problems.
Simms up top for me.

TomRad85

That’s not how football works.

You can have your targets but there are many reasons for not landing them ….

club don’t want to sell
Club do want to sell but not until they have their replacement in
Other clubs want him and the player chooses one of them
Player wants to come but we can’t meet his wage demands
Player gets injured in training / match

Don’t get me wrong I would have preferred we had signed an 8 but given the window we have had I don’t doubt that we tried incredibly hard to do so.
I think 'that's not how football works' is a massive cop out for the failure to prepare for the moving on of Hamer tbh. But I think I should stop going on about it now and hope that it is sorted to some extent in January.

SBAndy

The midfield would have been a lot more solid and capable of more creativity if we'd played one up top and an extra midfielder. That should be the shape away from home, especially against the better teams.
Ayari and Sakamoto are capable of killer passes and MVE's pace will cause plenty of problems.
Simms up top for me.

You’ve also got numerous people saying Sakamoto can’t play as an AM. It may be a fair observation if we’re only playing one in there but if we had 2 he would have more licence to drift into wide areas.

TomRad85

Palmer is never going to be an impact sub. The most you will get with him coming on cold is the risk of an injury.
Sakamoto had to come on. Robins has to get past his favourites thing.
Sakemoto was good in that position at Swansea and I'm really unsure what he's done to not get further opportunities to play there.

TomRad85

Its not just him leaving. We needed an understudy anyway.
I agree, everyone seemed to be in agreement on that then for some reason kept walking back what we needed until not only did we not need an understudy, we didn't even need a replacement. I still think we need 2 more in there.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

All those advocating for one up front, who on earth from the midfield is going to contribute to enough goals? We have a couple of average games and people are looking to rip everything up.

Kelly was one of our best players, despite us being told we would get hammered because we would miss Sheaf. Colour me shocked, Sky Blues Talk was wrong again. Don't get me started on some of the other shit that is being said either. Honestly the last 12/24 hours on here has been embarrasing.

We really aren't far away from winning these games. It just needs a bit more killer instinct, and the eradication of a few mistakes. Both of which I think will come. The start to this season is much better than last, and look where that ended up. Let's all just chill a bit.

TomRad85

All those advocating for one up front, who on earth from the midfield is going to contribute to enough goals? We have a couple of average games and people are looking to rip everything up.

Kelly was one of our best players, despite us being told we would get hammered because we would miss Sheaf. Colour me shocked, Sky Blues Talk was wrong again. Don't get me started on some of the other shit that is being said either. Honestly the last 12/24 hours on here has been embarrasing.

We really aren't far away from winning these games. It just needs a bit more killer instinct, and the eradication of a few mistakes. Both of which I think will come. The start to this season is much better than last, and look where that ended up. Let's all just chill a bit.
Why do I feel like this whole post exists to have a subtle dig at Sheaf

shmmeee

Kelly and Eccles were exactly what we worried about. Good at nipping in and getting a foot on the ball, useless on the ball with most balls a five years pass backwards. When Ayari went off we lost anyone able to play the ball forwards.

Eccles has got the range to do it, and has played AM for the reserves and ended up top scorer. Don’t know if it’s a confidence issue or a talent issue but as we’ve got no options I’d like to see him be a bit braver and look forwards more.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Why do I feel like this whole post exists to have a subtle dig at Sheaf

Because you aren't capable of responding to any of my other points?

In all seriousness though, there was a lot of talk of us getting hammered because he wasn't playing. It was embarrassing to write us off like that.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Kelly and Eccles were exactly what we worried about. Good at nipping in and getting a foot on the ball, useless on the ball with most balls a five years pass backwards. When Ayari went off we lost anyone able to play the ball forwards.

Eccles has got the range to do it, and has played AM for the reserves and ended up top scorer. Don’t know if it’s a confidence issue or a talent issue but as we’ve got no options I’d like to see him be a bit braver and look forwards more.

Kelly and Eccles were absolutely fine last night...

TomRad85

Because you aren't capable of responding to any of my other points?

In all seriousness though, there was a lot of talk of us getting hammered because he wasn't playing. It was embarrassing to write us off like that.
I'm just messing with you, we all have our thing, yours is Sheaf so you may as well own it.

And you're right Eccles and Kelly were fine for what Eccles and Kelly are, the problem is its not enough and creatively lacking massively.

Boicey

One up front when we went ahead was common sense.
However, there is somehing to be said in the logic that playing Wright, Godden is like us starting with 10 men and playing Wright, Godden and Palmer is like starting with 9.... especially away from home.

CCFCSteve

Got a point away against a team that had won three inc against leicester, drawn one and lost one before yesterday and still a mini melt down and attempts to find a fall guy. Annoying to draw to a late goal, sure Watford felt same the other week, but it happens.

With sheaf out injured most were saying they expected a loss. If we’d scored the late equaliser I’d imagine the mood would be a bit different

We’re a midfielder light due to late sale of hamer and a Sod’s Law injury to sheaf but what’s the point droning on about it every week when we can do fuck all about it ?? If posters genuinely believe we just sat there and decided not to try buy a replacement then it’s a bizarre new low for this place

Robins needs to do his job and get the players in the best formation to get results. Sounds like a he made a mistake with the subs last night, let’s hope he’s learned. Ayari sounded more positive and ohares edging back to fitness. Let’s chill the fuck out a bit

shmmeee

If Ayari can become an 8 well be fine. Big if mind. Could we get away with a midfield three of O’Hare Sheaf Ayari?

Users who are viewing this thread