Match Thread Hull (A) Friday 15th September (3 Viewers)

Grendel

It was a good performance but you wouldn't think that from reading most posters on here. Agreed we should have brought in an extra midfielder towards the end as none of the strikers were achieving much anyway,

You said we didn’t miss sheaf - of course we did - Eccles fitness levels decline as the game goes on and palmer doesn’t support the other midfielders. Every game so far as the game has gone into its latter stages Sheaf has been virtually the only midfielder to hold position

Given also Kelly was included it was an inevitable outcome - if it had gone on longer (I was surprised only 3 minutes of stoppage time) we’d have lost

Hutch11

We created a few opportunities for our wingbacks to put balls into the box but we were sadly lacking, I thought they both had good games otherwise
Some of our football was fantastic , now we have to do it more consistently and get chances into our strikers , not easy to do but the early signs are very encouraging

shmmeee

We also have signed two wingbacks who I assume are supposed to get crosses into the area and use their height and create chances but it’s not really happening

For two 6’3 lads of any racial background or none, they’re pretty poor in the air. Godden regularly wins more aerial duels.

sylus

Kelly & Eccles together scares the shit out of me, could fatigue and tiredness come down to training or lack of it, are we to soft on training. Robins wants to hope his strikers start scoring soon, otherwise its his head on the block.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned and it’ll be out of context for the rest of the thread, but the Hull fan shouting *that* during the minutes silence is the worst thing I’d heard at a football match. At least one of his own went back at him

Ashdown

There can be a bit of an obsession in England with thinking so many goals have to come from a cross from the by line. I think it’s a bit old hat these days. Good passing and movement and strength and speed through the middle is often more effective.

stupot07

I thought we played well, especially 1st half. We invited pressure, and like everyone else couldn't see why Sakamoto didnt come on for Godden in the last 15 to pack up the midfield.

Wilson 8
MVE 7
Lati 7
McF 7
Binks 7
JDS 7
Eccles 6 (7 for first 60 mins)
Kelly 7
Ayari 6 (7-8 firsy half)
Godden 5 (Poor 2nd half)
Wright 6 (Another who faded 2nd half)

Subs

Palmer 5 (Not at the races)
Simms 6
Bidwell 6

Wilson 8 - MOTM
MVE - 8
Lati - 7
Faz - 7
Binks 7
JDS 6
Eccles 6
Kelly 6
Ayari 6
Godden 5
Wright 5

Subs
Palmer 4
Bidwell 6
Simms 5

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

BlueSkiesForever

I think these next 3 fixtures are absolutely crucial, not saying they’re all must win but ideally we’d be looking to get 6 points from 3 games, 4-5 points sort of acceptable but anything less than 3 points from 3 games when we’re facing Cardiff, Huddersfield and QPR (all bottom 7-8 contenders really) would be dreadful.

We need to start creating chances, putting the strikers through one on one and scoring goals. If we can’t beat Huddersfield at home I’ll be severely disappointed tbh.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think these next 3 fixtures are absolutely crucial, not saying they’re all must win but ideally we’d be looking to get 6 points from 3 games, 4-5 points sort of acceptable but anything less than 3 points from 3 games when we’re facing Cardiff, Huddersfield and QPR (all bottom 7-8 contenders really) would be dreadful.

We need to start creating chances, putting the strikers through one on one and scoring goals. If we can’t beat Huddersfield at home I’ll be severely disappointed tbh.
With the way the midfield is puffing after 75-80 minutes we probably need a 2 or 3 goal lead to manage!

junglej13

Was a bit disappointed after leaving the ground last night particularly with the front men. Wright offered very little all night and constantly seems to be on his heels. Defence was decent and actually thought Kelly played well. Was very impressed with Ayari first half and was surprised he went off.

Hull in my opinion are very good side and will finish in the top six. Come the end of the season I think that will look a good point.

Hertsccfc

Wilson 8 - MOTM
MVE - 8
Lati - 7
Faz - 7
Binks 7
JDS 6
Eccles 6
Kelly 6
Ayari 6
Godden 5
Wright 5

Subs
Palmer 4
Bidwell 6
Simms 5

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
So how did Bidwell get a 6? First thing he did was to give the ball away, was offside for a promising attack and did little else. Latibeaudiere and Fadz were excellent in my view as was Kelly.

BlueSkiesForever

It’s quite ironic that before this game some people were saying our attack is better than our defence, now we’re not only relying on our defence to not only stay in the game but also score goals.
Our attack seems to have disappeared, sort of Lord Lucan-esque, checked into a random hotel somewhere in Indonesia, changed its name, put on a disguise and mysteriously vanished…

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s quite ironic that we’re relying on our defence to not only stay in the game but also score goals, our attack seems to have disappeared, sort of Lord Lucan-esque, checked into a random hotel somewhere in Indonesia, changed its name, put on a disguise and mysteriously vanished…
Well he went to Portugal to work on his tan

Matt smith

So how did Bidwell get a 6? First thing he did was to give the ball away, was offside for a promising attack and did little else. Latibeaudiere and Fadz were excellent in my view as was Kelly.
I really think we’re going to have a very good defence over the next few years with the permanent signings of MVE Thomas Lati and Kitching

slowpoke

There can be a bit of an obsession in England with thinking so many goals have to come from a cross from the by line. I think it’s a bit old hat these days. Good passing and movement and strength and speed through the middle is often more effective.
Goals come from shots at goal, we have no where near enough.

BlueSkiesForever

Goals come from shots at goal, we have no where near enough.
Yeah I agree, we create nowhere near enough crosses, through balls, cut backs, shots at goal etc etc, especially when you think that we play wingbacks, we should be whipping more balls in.
Our generation of through balls has stopped as well, seems like every time a ball is played forward the striker that it’s intended for is 3-4 yards behind the last defender. We don’t seem to play on the shoulder of the oppositions defensive line, it’s always just a tad too far back and too slow to be able to make a serious challenge through on goal. It’s like we’re just not switched on enough at times.

oscillatewildly

Would like to see better footage of what was happening. I think he was being held down and there’s was a bit of a scuffle.
He was and he reacted in a silly way - I genuinely thought he connected with his swing. Fair play to the Hull player for clearing out the ruck otherwise I think Binks is staring at red.

blunted

Hull one of the form teams with a great home record. We are missing Sheaf and like a lot of fans I feared the worst. They had the best chances and we got lucky with a couple of their wayward shots from close in. Also the ref was very lenient when we were hitting them from behind which meant we could commit those professional fouls near the end. That said, it took a mistake from Bidwell to give them a point in the end. Our problem is our squad is light and when we make changes we tend to get worse rather than better. They brought on fresh legs and we urgently needed them. Da Silva was being skinned by Christie, Ayo was losing concentration and the ball in midfield, Hadji was not holding the ball up to relieve the pressure. Bidwell cut down the danger from the right before his lapse for their goal. Simms did not really improve matters and failed to pick the right option with our one real breakaway. Palmer was truly not at the races and Saka could not have been worse. Felt sorry for Wilson, anywhere else and he would have saved their goal. Defence was ok but we did give them too many chances to score. Binks looks a class footballer; we will see if he is a class defender, if he gets more chances. Eccles and Kelly were really good until they tired. Ayo a class footballer but still learning his trade and making his mistakes with us. Hull played Godden perfectly knowing he was the danger man which should have left space for others. Hadji was ok. The tests will come when we play the lesser sides especially with Sheaf out for a while.

Grendel

I've always wanted to post one of those "just got back" reviews but I can't cos I'm still not back.....im now on a train home to Liverpool after a day on the piss in Manchester....
.epic away day ....but I no l9nger care...I just want my bed.

Sound like every day of my life

StrettoBoy

Can’t see Robins going for that with two attacking wingbacks but too early to judge ayari on whether he’s strong enough defensively. Said before I can see it being Eccles, sheaf and ohare as a three. Ayari/palmer coming in a box but we’ll see

I agree.

Neither Ayari nor Palmer look able to last 90 minutes at the moment but they can share the role. Personally I would swap them at half time rather than say 60/30 minutes and between them they should be fairly fresh for the full 90.

Palmer has his detractors but I like him because he brings something different to the team and I think he - and Ayari - will complement O'Hare well.

Users who are viewing this thread