Match Thread Hull (A) Friday 15th September (3 Viewers)

TomRad85

If Ayari can become an 8 well be fine. Big if mind. Could we get away with a midfield three of O’Hare Sheaf Ayari?
Probably what Robins was hoping to get to Jan with but doesn't seem to fancy Ayari there atm.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

One up front when we went ahead was common sense.
However, there is somehing to be said in the logic that playing Wright, Godden is like us starting with 10 men and playing Wright, Godden and Palmer is like starting with 9.... especially away from home.

The Palmer substitution seemed very strange to me. I can see your point about that formation in a winning position like yesterday, but surely that was then calling out for the energy of someone like Allen or Sakamoto. The game management has been frustrating and has cost us points. I still maintain we are not far away though.

Evo1883

Still think that's a solid away point against one of the dark horses for promotion , we probably got it tactically wrong in the last 15 , we should be looking to close out a game where the midfield is knackered and being overran , ideally the box sees us out and we don't stick with 2 strikers

I've seen enough to think we will take 6 points from Cardiff and Huddersfield

StrettoBoy

I remain optimistic that our midfield will come good. Ayari has yet to get match fit and bed in and we have O'Hare and Allen to come back in the coming weeks.

We haven't yet seen the best of Sakamoto, Wright or Simms. This season was always going to be a work in progress but I have confidence that MR will produce a good squad for next season.

shmmeee

Still think that's a solid away point against one of the dark horses for promotion , we probably got it tactically wrong in the last 15 , we should be looking to close out a game where the midfield is knackered and being overran , ideally the box sees us out and we don't stick with 2 strikers

Four draws out of six means it’s a total Rorschach test for fans. Some see one defeat in six some see one win in six. Not for the league, but for fans sanity we need a win soon.

Evo1883

Four draws out of six means it’s a total Rorschach test for fans. Some see one defeat in six some see one win in six. Not for the league, but for fans sanity we need a win soon.

We do , but I'd argue there hasn't been many teams with a tougher start , we've probably played 4 of the best teams in the league .

Boicey

Who do you think will score?

CCFCSteve

If Ayari can become an 8 well be fine. Big if mind. Could we get away with a midfield three of O’Hare Sheaf Ayari?

Can’t see Robins going for that with two attacking wingbacks but too early to judge ayari on whether he’s strong enough defensively. Said before I can see it being Eccles, sheaf and ohare as a three. Ayari/palmer coming in a box but we’ll see

Brighton Sky Blue

In the absence of a ratings thread:

Wilson 7
MVE 7
Lati 7
McF 7
Binks 7
JDS 6
Cake 6
Kelly 6
Ayari 6
Godden 6
Wright 6

Subs

Palmer 5
Simms 6
Bidwell 6

Evo1883

What I will say though is the quality of the balls into the box continue to be an issue .. it MUST improve

Seymour_East

Agree, I think when this is addressed, things will link better, and it's then we will see what our strikers can do. It feels like they are having to drop quite deep at the moment to compensate, which was ok for Vik but we have different style strikers now meaning the midfield need to plug the gap and bring the ball up the pitch more.
MR has had time to learn how to get his subbing right. We talk about young players coming in still needing to learn, but never about MR still having this cautious approach to subs and holding on to what he’s got instead of the kill. Last night showed again his preference for Godden who was awol 2nd half.

slowpoke

I’ve said on another thread I can see why Palmer was brought on for the last 20 minutes, fresh legs and his bit of pace & power, Robins wasn’t to know he would give just about the most inept performance I’ve seen from substitute for ages.
he was more a nuisance to us than Hull.
I think MRs mistake was not dragging him off, his performance last night to be honest was unacceptable.

Matt smith

He's alright.
He’s very good

Kelly and Eccles are alright

I know sheaf is injured, but you can’t be spending 31 million or whatever and have them two as your sitters

not massively going in on either of them by the way, they weren’t poor by any stretch last night

clint van damme

I think 'that's not how football works' is a massive cop out for the failure to prepare for the moving on of Hamer tbh. But I think I should stop going on about it now and hope that it is sorted to some extent in January.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It's not a cop out, what he saids true. Not that that helps us.

Ashdown

Really good performance and ultimately good result……we are just a decent striker away from being complete. Simms wasn’t on long enough to be too harsh but Wright was exasperating.
Our passing and movement was excellent for the most part, we’ve got some good players for sure but every successful team needs a good frontman.

Offhegoes

I thought we played well, especially 1st half. We invited pressure, and like everyone else couldn't see why Sakamoto didnt come on for Godden in the last 15 to pack up the midfield.

Wilson 8
MVE 7
Lati 7
McF 7
Binks 7
JDS 7
Eccles 6 (7 for first 60 mins)
Kelly 7
Ayari 6 (7-8 firsy half)
Godden 5 (Poor 2nd half)
Wright 6 (Another who faded 2nd half)

Subs

Palmer 5 (Not at the races)
Simms 6
Bidwell 6

Ashdown

To be fair to Wright and Simms the rest of the team have been spoiled with a striker you can lump it up to with a twenty yard tolerance and still expect them to get on the end of it.
That is very true, Vik would somehow get on the end of almost everything.

Grendel

Let's not go too mad, aside from not stopping a ball into the box we were on for an excellent win away from home.

My view on Palmer has been expressed and his defensive limitations shown.

We're a good side not far from being a very good one.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The obvious concern is the amount of goals we’ve taken out of the team

If we include Allen as well it’s 40 goals gone and we don’t look like replacing that

hill83

To be fair to Wright and Simms the rest of the team have been spoiled with a striker you can lump it up to with a twenty yard tolerance and still expect them to get on the end of it.

Good players make average players look better

covcity4life

"I know we're going to be really good. It's that process of getting there and when we say about, if you come away from home and draw game, every point is a really good point it's just a matter of it it’s disappointing because that was avoidable.

“We could have gone on and won the game because there were chances to go and win it and we just gave the ball away. It just didn't look fluid there and that's the next bit when we've got to try and get up to speed for one of the better phrase.”

Grendel

We also have signed two wingbacks who I assume are supposed to get crosses into the area and use their height and create chances but it’s not really happening

Hertsccfc

It was a good performance but you wouldn't think that from reading most posters on here. Agreed we should have brought in an extra midfielder towards the end as none of the strikers were achieving much anyway,

Users who are viewing this thread