Hickman (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Bin him. Yes he’s a kid but the way kids learn lessons is through punishment. Football is desperate for players, being a rapist doesn’t stop you succeeding these days so I wouldn’t worry about him not playing if he’s good enough, but we need to take a stand or this shit will creep through the squad b

Terry_dactyl

Bin him. Yes he’s a kid but the way kids learn lessons is through punishment. Football is desperate for players, being a rapist doesn’t stop you succeeding these days so I wouldn’t worry about him not playing if he’s good enough, but we need to take a stand or this shit will creep through the squad b
Well, as someone who used to commission parenting programmes I’m not sure I can agree with your first statement but I think it’s right that he should be released. Possibly for his own good!

shmmeee

Well, as someone who used to commission parenting programmes I’m not sure I can agree with your first statement but I think it’s right that he should be released. Possibly for his own good!

You think kids don’t need boundaries and you used to commission parenting programs?

:p

tisza

You think kids don’t need boundaries and you used to commission parenting programs?

:p
you'll get me on my middle age rant. Everyone needs boundaries.
problem is in modern society far too often they are not enforced - be it by parents, schools, police, courts etc.
As far as Hickman goes. All these players have it drummed into them by the clubs and professional consultants etc. about the standards of behave required for professional footballers.

oucho

I don't agree - if we would otherwise keep him, then a reprimand is the more appropriate thing to do.

Let's face it, there's not a 17-year-old alive who hasn't talked a load of rubbish after a few beers in the sun with their mates, then felt mortified the next day when it turns out there's video evidence seen beyond those present. His apology seemed sincere enough to me; if the club agree then give him an official warning, keep him on the books and move on.

fatso

I don't agree - if we would otherwise keep him, then a reprimand is the more appropriate thing to do.

Let's face it, there's not a 17-year-old alive who hasn't talked a load of rubbish after a few beers in the sun with their mates, then felt mortified the next day when it turns out there's video evidence seen beyond those present. His apology seemed sincere enough to me; if the club agree then give him an official warning, keep him on the books and move on.
If you want a pro contract your expected to behave accordingly.
If this kind of behaviour is excused without a termination of contract, then you really cant expect other youngsters to learn that there are consequences to their actions

shmmeee

You said “the way kids learn is through punishment”...praise, play etc etc?

I meant “learn their lesson” as in where the boundaries are. And no purely positive reenforcement doesn’t work. You need to catch them being good sure, but it takes carrot and stick IMO.

Yes, I think that when an attitude like this arises in a small group it needs knocking on its head ASAP. Hickman hasn’t been pushing the first team and is at the shit or get off the pot stage of his career.

Too many of our young players fuck it up by thinking they’re Johnny big time. Stick a head on a spike and maybe it’ll make a few of them think how lucky they are to be in that position.

As I say Hickman will be fine if he’s got the talent, but he’s not worth the risk to the wider cause IMHO.

ccfchoi87

Think it would be a good idea for him to make a contribution to the season ticket fund. Get the fans back on side.

kg82

How do you enforce boundaries without punishment?

I’m not saying hit them with sticks, could be anything from removing attention to grounding them.

But that’s not what you said. I’m just pointing out that saying kids learn through punishment is a lot different to setting boundaries.

higgs

We owe this lad nothing bin him we are already a laughing stock of a club without our own players taking the piss out of us

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We owe this lad nothing bin him we are already a laughing stock of a club without our own players taking the piss out of us

Think you’re overestimating Hickman’s and Coventry City’s reach. We’re not a laughing stock because of this incident.

Christ if we’re going on social media - Jesse Lingards the big news in that area

kg82

Laughing stock because a London rugby team are after evicting us out of our own stadium

Do you really think anybody cares apart from us? Most are sympathetic. It’s a few idiots that it amuses and they’re the sort that laugh at child immigrants dying crossing the channel, so who really gives a damn about those sort of people.

shelby76

It's not like he fucking raped someone!! He just got mashed up on holiday and talked some shit! Let him crack on.. hopefully he has learned, his whole family are suffering I would guess why punish them as well they sacrificed taking him to training 3 nights a week plus games, Hickman has sacrificed most of his life to play football, we don't have the right to take that away from him for something as stupid as that.

rob9872

In fairness, mum jokes apart, it's his family that I have sympathy for. They will have invested a lot of time in his career running him all over the place and likely given him a decent grounding for him to fek it up in one stupid drunken moment. I'm actually quite disappointed we didn't simply fine him and tell him to get his head down and work harder and some community work, but I guess it doesn't send the right message to the rest of the U18/U23 players.

rob9872

Transfer listed as harsh? He should've been sacked!

I think he has got off lightly personally.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I assume if we sack him we're not entitled to any payments should he actually become successful.

skyblue1991

I assume if we sack him we're not entitled to any payments should he actually become successful.
I think if he was good enough he would've had a run out in the first team.

We sacked Kevin Thornton in 2009 and he was a very talented player who I'm sure would've gone on to bigger and better things if he kept his head down!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread