Haringey Borough walk off after goalkeeper ‘racially abused’ (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I fully support this action! It's about time this shit was acted on severely! And, if and when the game is replayed, Haringey should be given a 2 goal start. That would give Yeovil and other racist twats something to think about! Maybe with something like this being threatened to the team, other decent fans would act and turn these twats in! If it's a league game (any level), then 3 points deducted from the abusing fans team.
I thought this kind of crap went out with the 70's and 80's? Why is it rearing it's ugly head again?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I agree. Someone had to follow through on the action of walking off and I'm glad someone finally has. Hopefully we'll now see others willing to go through with it too, and hopefully more high profile.

We await to see what the FA does though.

Macca

Just saw this. Disgusting.
Will we vilify an entire nation like we did Bulgaria because this isn’t a one off.
Racism has never gone away. There will always be a minority of people of all creeds and colours that don’t like people who are different from them.

clint van damme

I think the racists were always there, it's just that they all feel empowered these days so shame has died a death.

yep, the country is turning in to a nasty little cesspit.
You'd expect it to manifest its self more in certain places as well and Somerset would be high on that list. Populated by Inbred gurning simpletons.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

yep, the country is turning in to a nasty little cesspit.
You'd expect it to manifest its self more in certain places as well and Somerset would be high on that list. Populated by Inbred gurning simpletons.

JRM is from Somerset......

Grendel

I'll let you have that to some degree as he was born in London. But his paternal family are from Somerset and he was raised and still lives in Somerset.
Also by implication you are suggesting he is racist - is there any evidence?

Gazolba

Pretty soon every time their team is losing, racial slurs will be shouted to get the game abandoned.
I don't see how you can hold a club responsible for the actions of their fans.
Yeovil as a club had nothing to do with it.
What are they supposed to do? Ask every one of their fans to sign a piece of paper saying "I am not a racist".

tisza

Curious to know how many fans Yeovil actually had there and why it wasn't possible to identify the culprits? Not a big stadium.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Pretty soon every time their team is losing, racial slurs will be shouted to get the game abandoned.
What are they supposed to do? Ask every one of their fans to sign a piece of paper saying "I am not a racist".
And they'll still chant shit! Why shouldn't the club be held responsible? If they cared enough about this sort of behaviour then they should do something about it. I gave my suggestions in my original post. Dock them points (or goals if a replay is required), and I bet the decent fans will soon shut the gutter-mouths up!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

And they'll still chant shit! Why shouldn't the club be held responsible? If they cared enough about this sort of behaviour then they should do something about it. I gave my suggestions in my original post. Dock them points (or goals if a replay is required), and I bet the decent fans will soon shut the gutter-mouths up!

Sadly for many of the clubs it's only the threat of sanctions that actually get them to look into the problems of racism/homophobia/sexism in the stands IMO.

It should be that each club should voluntarily look to ban for life anyone guilty of them, regardless of the lost revenue. If those people doing the behaviour actually care about the club they'll ultimately be responsible for their failure by putting the club in a position to have to turn down revenue. I'd also say any fan who is witness to such behaviour but fails to report it should consider themselves as much a part of the problem.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You beat me to it. It won't be long before a team is losing 4-0 with half an hour to go and the coach will say to the players "right lads, we're coming off. "

rob9872

Its since Brexit and all this nationalist shite, hate crime has rocketed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I wondered which c**t would try to blame Brexit. Well done, you've won.

Hate and racism always been there and our membership of the mainly white eu has sod all to do with twats shouting from the terraces. There's always been twats and I suspect despite calling people out on it, nothing will change. Newsworthy at present, so glad someone's taken a stand to highlight, but sadly there will always be twats.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Hate and racism always been there and our membership of the mainly white eu has sod all to do with twats shouting from the terraces. There's always been twats and I suspect despite calling people out on it, nothing will change. Newsworthy at present, so glad someone's taken a stand to highlight, but sadly there will always be twats.

It's always been there, and has been much worse in the past. Although attitudes have in the main changed it never went away, it just went quiet. However, they have recently been more emboldened to air those views but that is mainly due to right-wing populism and the likes of Trump. Brexit is a part of that right-wing populism in this country and has been part of people being willing to be more vocal about it, even though Brexit itself will largely affect Caucasian immigration rather than black/brown people.

clint van damme

they also threw a bottle at him though no doubt you'll try and justify that.

clint van damme

you're naïve in the extreme if you think Brexit hasn't emboldened this type of behaviour in a small minority of people.

stupot07

Clint sums it up perfectly:

you're naïve in the extreme if you think Brexit hasn't emboldened this type of behaviour in a small minority of people.

Brexit 'major influence' in racism rise

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rob9872

Totally disagree. In the immediate aftermath there was a rise in the stupid, saying things like we voted for you to leave, but 3 years on people are equally more empowered to call out and report such actions ehich is actually a good thing. The biased msm will of course use that as yet another weapon to bash brexit with. As a white male, I can't begin to know if I feel things are worse as I'm not subjected to anything for a comparison, but imo I don't believe things are worse than a few years back. I'm sure there are examples from some that back that up and others who will have beem subjected to hate feeling it's representative.

clint van damme

Totally disagree. In the immediate aftermath there was a rise in the stupid, saying things like we voted for you to leave, but 3 years on people are equally more empowered to call out and report such actions ehich is actually a good thing. The biased msm will of course use that as yet another weapon to bash brexit with. As a white male, I can't begin to know if I feel things are worse as I'm not subjected to anything for a comparison, but imo I don't believe things are worse than a few years back. I'm sure there are examples from some that back that up and others who will have beem subjected to hate feeling it's representative.

there is a substantial amount of evidence that racism rose due to Brexit.
Even Civitas which is a right wing think tank and has tried to play down on going racism linked to Brexit admits there was a substantial rise after the referendum.

In addition to the Yeovil incident Bristol City are investigating racist chanting by their own supporters against Luton and one of their supporters was assaulted when challenging the racists.

I think it's beyond dispute their is an increase in these types of crime whatever the cause.

Sky Blue Pete

The statistics speak for themselves. Hate crime has gone up. Not rocket science

rob9872

The statistics speak for themselves. Hate crime has gone up. Not rocket science
*reporting hate crime has gone up (also what is perceived as hate crime, eg on internet has changed). It's not good, but is good that it's being called out more, however I think the hate has always been there and unfortunately always will.

mark82

I hate this "biased MSM" bullshit that's used by the right. Yes, the majority of media outlets are biased by nature. Most are biased to right wing politics and are in support of, or at least sympathetic to, Brexit. There are only a very small number that take a neutral stance and only really a couple of left wing media outlets.

What this is normally followed by is giving an example of Breitbart, the most biased of biased media outlets, as an example of "real news".

Not so much aimed at you Rob, just a general observation.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I hate this "biased MSM" bullshit that's used by the right. Yes, the majority of media outlets are biased by nature. Most are biased to right wing politics and are in support of, or at least sympathetic to, Brexit. There are only a very small number that take a neutral stance and only really a couple of left wing media outlets.

What this is normally followed by is giving an example of Breitbart, the most biased of biased media outlets, as an example of "real news".

If you look at the headlines in the newspapers on any given day there are always far more headlines about "undemocratic parliament", "ignoring the will of the people" and "letting down the 17.4m majority" "get on with it" etc. than "heroic MP's stand up to Boris the dictator" Their job is to report the news, but they have clear bias in their headlines and articles. Unbiased would be things like "Parliament reject May's Brexit deal" or "Parliament refuse to speed up Brexit bill" - state the facts.

Grendel

Grendel

If you look at the headlines in the newspapers on any given day there are always far more headlines about "undemocratic parliament", "ignoring the will of the people" and "letting down the 17.4m majority" "get on with it" etc. than "heroic MP's stand up to Boris the dictator" Their job is to report the news, but they have clear bias in their headlines and articles. Unbiased would be things like "Parliament reject May's Brexit deal" or "Parliament refuse to speed up Brexit bill" - state the facts.

newspapers have no requirement to be independent

Grendel

Regarding Brexit it’s a pretty even split on editorial views

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

newspapers have no requirement to be independent

Not saying they do. I was merely pointing out that some that claim to be 'fair' in their reporting are clearly favouring the right.

The argument was about biased MSM and how they supposedly favour the left but when you look at the headlines etc the majority of them clearly show a bias to the right.

Grendel

Not saying they do. I was merely pointing out that some that claim to be 'fair' in their reporting are clearly favouring the right.

The argument was about biased MSM and how they supposedly favour the left but when you look at the headlines etc the majority of them clearly show a bias to the right.

no on the Brexit issue they are split fairly down the middle and each are biased in their own views

Users who are viewing this thread