Racism at football in Spain (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

5live tonight talking about racism in Spain & particularly aimed at Vinicius Jnr. No fan has ever been charged with racism in Spain & Spanish FA claim not to have any powers to do anything to clubs whose fans have been racist. Spanish FA have passed on cases to the authorities but nothing has been done, they looked at 1 case of a fan racially abusing Nico Williams but didn't charge him as he showed no evidence of being a racist on social media. It seems some clubs/authorities think racism aimed at Vinicius Jnr is the player's own fault by the way he has behaved in games and also it has made him.less effective in games so that is alright then?! The media in Spain don't think it's a problem so don't report on it. Real Madrid have started action against 10 fans & claim they will ban them if guilty but no other club has. When the authorities looked into racism at a Real/Athletic derby they concluded that it was OK because the atmosphere can be volatile at the Madrid derby.

Is Spain really this backward? Can't UEFA do something to sanction teams for fans racism even if Spanish FA won't?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

My second team is RCD Mallorca. We beat Real at the weekend 1-0, which was an absolutely huge result.

In the build up to the game, all they were talking about was how aggressive we were. A lot of almost boxing trash talk. In the game obviously that all came true. Vini Jr was diving all over the shop and trying to get Mallorca players sent off, which backfired. Now, I watched this game online and therfore what a minority of the crowd were shouting wasn't something that even registered with me, but there are allegations of racism being shouted.

Could it be true? Definitely. Was it true? No idea. I can tell you however, I've heard racism at both English games and Spanish ones. The former are much more likely to take action. I think they can definitely be a bit backward in Spain, but also, it seems to happen to bastard players, and therefore as you say, it goes down as almost fair game.

No idea what the solution is, but I can completely believe what you've written there. People think what English fans shout is bad, Spain is another level. It's really nasty.

Edit: I would also like to add that for the last two seasons, any game I have been to has been met very aggressively by steward's enforcing mask mandates. They aren't interested in aggressive behaviour or violence, but instead spent the entire games running up and down stairs shouting at people to put their masks on. Bear in mind that the Mallorca stadium is entirely outdoor, with (at the time) literally only one stand having a half roof. Shows where their priorities are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread