If this is true, SP has not only lost the dressing room, they're mocking him to. (1 Viewer)

skybluebeduff

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/why_i_walked_out_of_citys_game_851230/index.shtml

One Supporter's View
The view of one long serving well known Coventry based supporter who walked out of Coventry City's League One game against Swindon Town, which makes for interesting reading
"Last night i made some comments on twitter about what i had heard and seen at the Coventry game that made me leave the game after 20 mins.
"After the game I received some concerning text messages from within the camp that suggests all is not well at all at the club - I have had well over 50 inboxes from various avenues asking me what happened and whats been said.
"I wont name anyone who texted me as i wouldn't want to make their current position unstable, but here is how the night panned out.

"I sat to the right of the dugouts for the match and Steven Pressley was once again sitting behind the dugout about 10 yards from me (quite what vantage point that gives him is beyond me .....) I did the same a few weeks ago against Walsall at home and after eight minutes said we were playing at least 10 yards too deep but obviously Pressley was doing it for a reason, but it could be the reason why Walsall had so much possession.

"Ten minutes after i said this, Pressley turned to the bench and said "DO YOU THINK WE ARE PLAYING TO DEEP" that's when the alarm bells began to ring.
"Once again last night, Pressley was constantly shouting tactics from the stands in ear shot of fans to his number 2 who constantly barks like a demented Karl Pilkington lookalike to the players but it falls on deaf ears.

"The key moment for me last night was when Jim O'Brien was on a free kick on the edge of the box. Pressley screamed at his number 2 to tell O'Brien to let Haynes take it.... Haynes jogged up from left back to take the free kick as Pressley walked down to the technical area and once again screamed at O'Brien to let Haynes take it. O'Brien acknowledged Pressley ..... but then astonishingly took the free kick anyway.
"Clear disobedience in the ranks i thought to myself..... as he jogged back he then mouthed the words to a glearing Pressley "FUCK OFF", as a few minutes later Gary Madine did to some intructions from the number 2.

"This along with the fact we were two down and clearly set up tactically wrong once again meant that the alarm bells were well and truly on overdrive, especially when Pressley himself chose to ignore the words he heard, as if they almost didn't happen and players were constantly ignoring information passed from the bench.

"So at this point, i am thinking NOT only has Pressley shown constant tactical naivety, once again he changed a back four after arguably the best performance of the season bringing back in Webster (mind blowingly bad) and the other centre half Martin.
"WHY CHANGE A WINNING SIDE? Where is the reward to those players. He also now has clear disobedience from his playing staff who are no longer listening to orders and are even mocking him and berating him back, something he chose to ignore.

"Fans around me heard and saw it and it was beyond embarrassing to the point where i had to look away. Stewards then came over to our seating area and rudely asked fans if they had the correct tickets and that they should move, as if they were in the way of Pressley's sunday league management show ...... (there are 30,000 empty seats in the stadium)

"Whats going on at this club i grew up adoring through the 80s and 90's???, it was at this point i decided enough was enough and i walked!
"I have never left a game any earlier than the 85th minute...... this was the 23rd minute.
"I walked home dejected, lost for words, beyond angry, and extremely worried. Towards the end of the game and after the game i received texts of several ex players and some staff who still remain at the club, The messages confirmed my fears!!!!

"It was also bought to my attention by another person that the U21's who got hammered by Sheffield United 7-0 yesterday only took enough players to field a team and one sub. Danny Pugh got injured so we had to put a goalkeeper up front who then swapped half way through with the other goalkeeper.
"ARE WE NOW A SUNDAY LEAGUE OUTFIT? We cant even field a reserve side now and are playing goalkeepers up front?!?!?!

"Pressley talks an amazing game, but rarely do we see it on the pitch, 12 wins in 12 months, and at on point in the season we had taken 2 points from 21 which at this level is completely unacceptable. Yes he has lost players but in the third tier of english football on paper he has more than enough quality in that side to be doing far better than he is!!!!
"This club has been rotten to the core since the Richardson days. I applaud all the fans that try to make a stance etc, but i feel the apathy of this city will be the downfall of the club in the end that being firmly behind the huge vaccum and axe that SISU have switched on and wielded over the years.

"Let me ask you this, would other cities let this happen to their clubs with as little fight as we have? NO CHANCE!!!! A few marches with inflated numbers and once they are there it hasn't been utilised correctly, and other failed attempts of protest have been too feeble,. Where are all the fans? 9th biggest city in the UK but ultimately not enough of us care.
I just don't see a way back - 27 yrs of nothingness, taking and receiving nothing in return is why i guess. Who wants to fight for that!?!?!"

Fooking hell is it that bad with SP?
Anyone who can back this story up?

:facepalm:

lewys33

Can't back it up with any facts, but I watched the TV coverage and there was a point where SP was talking to madine, who looked completely disinterested and looked like he just shrugged it all off as he ran back on the pitch. He was just short of shouting fuck off at him. Didn't think too much of it but after reading that........

J

Jack Griffin

Can't back it up with any facts, but I watched the TV coverage and there was a point where SP was talking to madine, who looked completely disinterested and looked like he just shrugged it all off as he ran back on the pitch. He was just short of shouting fuck off at him. Didn't think too much of it but after reading that........

I saw that and wondered, was like the words were going in one ear and out the other.

Gazolba

Better than a soap opera. They should make a reality show out of it. Call it "Coventry City Capers".

ccfcmad1

Absolutely depressing reading when will things improve for us teams usually go through a cycle of good times and bad 20 odd years and still going through utter shit!

AJB1983

Yet in the last game we played really well by the sound of it and won. So he's lost them in the space of a week..?

skybluepm2

I think this is twitter handle @dawkinscov1980 for anyone who's interested in his posts. 1st I'd heard of him today when my mate (a villa fan for his sins) text me a screenshot. Manager of the Enemy or something? For him to talk with such passion and to waffle on more than I do, I certainly think there is some truth in it.

The CableGuy

Better than a soap opera. They should make a reality show out of it. Call it "Coventry City Capers".

Coming to Channel Five: The Coventry Way
A SISU Production. Filmed at Wasps Studios.
Played in front of a live and rapidly decreasing audience.

Ashdown

Webster is a wanker, O'Brien's a bit of a mouthy twat too and Madine has form.................fancy surrounding yourself with these types !?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Wouldn't read too much into the U21 games, obviously we had a first team fixture and the U18s would have been preparing for FA cup on Wednesday so no surprise we struggled for numbers.

Much more telling is the players clearly ignoring Pressley, someone within ear shot of Pressley should have asked him if he was going to let him get away with that.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Apparently Madines interview with sky yesterday was interesting

Alan Dugdales Moustache

If this is true, then i have this almost masochistic hope that we get absolutely slaughtered in the next couple of games and that this slow , painful death comes to an end. SISU carry the can for our desperate position but even they cannot be held responsible for what appears total disarray in the team.

Kingokings204

Apparently Madines interview with sky yesterday was interesting

Why what did he say? I missed it. Madine has mouthed off every game it seems about being a lone striker and berating players all game for it. Tbf he has a point.

It seems all in all to me for what I know and have heard. It seems he has "lost" the dressing room months ago but keeps getting a win every few games to keep him in a job.

It seems the tactical cluelessness is having its toll on the players who clearly see his failings.

A poor performance/result at gills and the fire will grow more intense and should we win then everyone is hunky dory. That's football. Long term it's just worrying.

It seems a lot of the older mouths in the dressing room think they are the dogs bollocks. Webster and o brien are two in particular I've heard are a nightmare. Their way or the high way. Probably Madine as well and nouble has form. It's a team of players no one wants for these reasons. Madine is crap anyway imo. Best of a bad bunch that's all. We were spoiled last year with Clarke and Wilson genuine quality.

SP needs to go to stop the rumors and bullshit. The Worcester outburst tells me everything I need to know about how he is running and in control of this football club.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

pressley and madine seem to argue about tactics alot had a friend sat in the port vale home end just behind the away dug out ( no idea why his a city fan) but he said the argument them pair had was embarrassing yet pressley is desperate to sign him just hunted out that footage from last night (its about the 41st min mark) he does appear to shake off whatever has just been said and smile about it with jackson

Last edited:

Ian1779

There is no defending the apparent absence of tactical thought from Pressley.. but since when did footballers not be able to think for themselves on the pitch?

If they feel that it was not working... why couldn't they adapt themselves during the game?

Samo

There is no defending the apparent absence of tactical thought from Pressley.. but since when did footballers not be able to think for themselves on the pitch?

If they feel that it was not working... why couldn't they adapt themselves during the game?

They do as they are told, you can't blame for that, they are employees.

Kingokings204

They do as they are told, you can't blame for that, they are employees.

They surely are winners though and want to win the game. I have played football at a decent level for absolute wankers as managers and it does get you down but it's never stopped me wanting to win for me and my team Mates.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why what did he say? I missed it. Madine has mouthed off every game it seems about being a lone striker and berating players all game for it. Tbf he has a point.

It seems all in all to me for what I know and have heard. It seems he has "lost" the dressing room months ago but keeps getting a win every few games to keep him in a job.

It seems the tactical cluelessness is having its toll on the players who clearly see his failings.

A poor performance/result at gills and the fire will grow more intense and should we win then everyone is hunky dory. That's football. Long term it's just worrying.

It seems a lot of the older mouths in the dressing room think they are the dogs bollocks. Webster and o brien are two in particular I've heard are a nightmare. Their way or the high way. Probably Madine as well and nouble has form. It's a team of players no one wants for these reasons. Madine is crap anyway imo. Best of a bad bunch that's all. We were spoiled last year with Clarke and Wilson genuine quality.

SP needs to go to stop the rumors and bullshit. The Worcester outburst tells me everything I need to know about how he is running and in control of this football club.
Haven't heard it but a few on here were talking about it last night

Gazolba

Wouldn't read too much into the U21 games, obviously we had a first team fixture and the U18s would have been preparing for FA cup on Wednesday so no surprise we struggled for numbers.

Much more telling is the players clearly ignoring Pressley, someone within ear shot of Pressley should have asked him if he was going to let him get away with that.

Well since he has no designated penalty-taker and said whoever feels like it should take one, would not the same apply to free kicks? Whoever feels like it?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Well since he has no designated penalty-taker and said whoever feels like it should take one, would not the same apply to free kicks? Whoever feels like it?

May as well like, might as well do play where you like also. Can't be any worse than it is.

chiefdave

Yet in the last game we played really well by the sound of it and won. So he's lost them in the space of a week..?

Don't think so, last week he was forced to make changes to the personnel and system thanks to injuries and a late change in the line up. We played well in the first half but in the second Walsall could easily have come back into it as they changed their tactics and SP couldn't or wouldn't counter it.

Last night, having won the previous game, he changed everything. I know he had to make one change because of injury but what are the players who were dropped thinking.

There's nothing in that piece that comes across as unbelievable. Madine clearly wasn't happy when SP was talking to him during the match. The players either don't know what they're supposed to be doing or are ignoring it, most likely a combination of both with the added confusion of some following instructions and some not. No wonder everyone is struggling to work out what formation and tactics we are using!

We hear players keep saying they aren't playing in their favoured positions, ex pros's on CWR saying it's not the players it's the tactics, opposition managers saying we're under performing with the squad we have, players in and out of the bomb squad, captaincy being changed mid season; its a complete mess and something is very very wrong and I think this piece tells us where the problem lies.

Samo

They surely are winners though and want to win the game. I have played football at a decent level for absolute wankers as managers and it does get you down but it's never stopped me wanting to win for me and my team Mates.

Yeh I'm sure they want to win but... Fleck for example... If he's told by the manager that he doesn't want him beyond a certain point then he stays in position as instructed by the 'tactician' and tries his best within those criteria. What else can he do?

WestEndAgro

Christ, this sounds one hell of a mess, surely if true Presley's position must be unattainable.

junglej13

His comments after the cup game that some players wouldnt play for the club again were a bit strange seeing as pretty much all the players who'd been out of the picture have now come back in.

chiefdave

His comments after the cup game that some players wouldnt play for the club again were a bit strange seeing as pretty much all the players who'd been out of the picture have now come back in.

That's the problem isn't it? They must be laughing at him, watching him bomb players out and then bring them back in. How could you respect him after that. It's not like it's one player he's bombed out who's bucked their ideas up and forced their way back in it's totally random.

There's been a couple of posts on Bakers facebook recently that have made me wonder if they had a bust up, nothing where he's outright said anything about Pressley just the tone of some comments.

Another thing that really worries me is how many players seem to improve when they leave.

SkyBlue_Bear83

That's the problem isn't it? They must be laughing at him, watching him bomb players out and then bring them back in. How could you respect him after that. It's not like it's one player he's bombed out who's bucked their ideas up and forced their way back in it's totally random.

There's been a couple of posts on Bakers facebook recently that have made me wonder if they had a bust up, nothing where he's outright said anything about Pressley just the tone of some comments.

Another thing that really worries me is how many players seem to improve when they leave.

Sorta mentioned the same thing on another thread, Pressley can't just dump players and treat them rubbish when he feels like it and then pick them up again when he needs them and expect them to be playing for him i.e. Clarke, Barton, Tudgay, Jackson, Nouble, Miller etc.

And Baker was at CWR for the Plymouth match in the JPT which was just after the cup defeat and Baker said on CWR some of the players aren't very happy with him.

Kingokings204

Yeh I'm sure they want to win but... Fleck for example... If he's told by the manager that he doesn't want him beyond a certain point then he stays in position as instructed by the 'tactician' and tries his best within those criteria. What else can he do?

Oh no I totally agree. Was just saying

Kingokings204

As I mentioned before, the Worcester game was the point it all should of been nipped in the bud. He came out after and lost it. Why? The dressing room had gone. The players don't get SP. I don't.

He said all these players would be "banished" they have at all points played again, Jackson, tudgay and Barton to me is the biggest joke. SP has said about 20 times he won't be playing and free to find another club. Yet he is a main player now. He just looks foolish.

Chez78

I was at the Fleetwood game and I heard Madine do exactly the same and I was behind the dugout. I've said before the players we have are good enough they are not the problem it's the manager and the culture he's created. He's a bully and Webster is his best mate and enforcer, when he goes all the Pressley is the messiah crowd will have a shock about sone of the stuff that cones out.
Ex-players from the club and current players leaving all having nothing good to say about him.

SkyBlue_Bear83

As I mentioned before, the Worcester game was the point it all should of been nipped in the bud. He came out after and lost it. Why? The dressing room had gone. The players don't get SP. I don't.

He said all these players would be "banished" they have at all points played again, Jackson, tudgay and Barton to me is the biggest joke. SP has said about 20 times he won't be playing and free to find another club. Yet he is a main player now. He just looks foolish.
Obviously he was right to blast the players after the defeat but the whole banished took it too far, Pressley is just realising these players who he 'banished' he's probably stuck with them now either because nobody else want them or we can't afford another load of players to replace them. Makes him look an idiot when he has to quietly backdown on his banished threat and hope no one notices and I believe it has effected the players. The players are playing with fear which isn't good for performance as they know a couple of bad performances and they could be in the bomb squad, looking for a new club. Barton after the Worcester match said he was worried he may be back in the bomb squad after that interview so it clearly affects them.
Makes him look an idiot also when a week later after the dismal Notts County display he comes out and tries to convince us all it was a good performance

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Best quote ever from Adam Barton on his relationship with Pressley 'We don't really talk but we don't hate each other'

Alarm bells were ringing from then.

Users who are viewing this thread