Hamer (5 Viewers)

TomRad85

If a basket case club like Sheffield Utd were the ones turning his head, i'd suggest it didn't take much turning. On that evidence he'd end up in bed with Susan Boyle after half a pint. Let it go everyone and enjoy the next wedge of money we have to spend.

CCFCSteve

Oooof this one hurts hard.

Such a shame someone more stable than Sheffield United haven't come in for him. Anyway you look at it they are going to struggle. It'll be hard for him to shine getting pummeled week in week out which in turn weakens any sell on value we have in his contract and probably means any performance related parts of the deal won't get met.

Still find it surprising Fulham didn’t. I thought he’d be made for them.

SkyblueTexan

Oh well...this has been dragging on far too long and although I really wanted him to stay, it was never on the cards was it? If 15M is what we've gotten for him, then that's very good business for someone with just a year left. At least we have some clarity on who's staying/leaving and don't have this constant cloud hanging over us. Just need to get reinforcements in quickly and try to consolidate our position in this league. Might be a step back this season with all the new faces. Hope I'm wrong and we make the playoffs again, but will be tough without Gus.

RoboCCFC90

This was always likely to happen unfortunately when we didn't get promoted.

Hamer is arguably the best midfielder in the Championship, teams in the Premier League were always going to be sniffing around.

I think Hamer can do better than Sheffield United, but they are trying to replace players they've sold and they've identified Hamer, fair play to them.

Get a decent fee, hopefully a lot of the £12m - £15m fee will be up front and we will be able to bring in new players. Will we replace Hamer? Time will tell, but it'll be very difficult.

Ccfcisparks

This was always likely to happen unfortunately when we didn't get promoted.

Hamer is arguably the best midfielder in the Championship, teams in the Premier League were always going to be sniffing around.

I think Hamer can do better than Sheffield United, but they are trying to replace players they've sold and they've identified Hamer, fair play to them.

Get a decent fee, hopefully a lot of the £12m - £15m fee will be up front and we will be able to bring in new players. Will we replace Hamer? Time will tell, but it'll be very difficult.
You have to ask the question if he can do better why were only Sheff U, Fulham and Luton the ones bidding?

RoboCCFC90

You have to ask the question if he can do better why were only Sheff U, Fulham and Luton the ones bidding?

I think going to Leeds would be better than Sheffield United, but Hamer can only end up at a club that pays the money, regardless of who is linked.

Sheffield United will be a Championship club again next season.

Alkhen

Still find it surprising Fulham didn’t. I thought he’d be made for them.
Might me a bit late but I hope someone better comes in and gazumps them. Seriously baffled as to why the entire bottom half of the Prem aren't squabbling for his signature. He went to another level in the second half of last season, a really rare talent in my eyes and a steal at 15m considering how little that buys you in the top flight

CDK

Hope recruitment department have a replacement lined up as no doubt they will have had an early knowledge of this move.

SeaSeeEffCee

If a basket case club like Sheffield Utd were the ones turning his head, i'd suggest it didn't take much turning. On that evidence he'd end up in bed with Susan Boyle after half a pint. Let it go everyone and enjoy the next wedge of money we have to spend.
I said it yesterday but it’s been pretty evident since the Robins interview post-whichever pre-season friendly it was that he wanted to leave. Clowns like GIMOC muddied the water earlier in the summer with all this nonsense that he was close to signing a new deal, or that he was going to stay the season and move back to the Netherlands, but I seriously doubt any of that was true and he’s probably be angling to leave for most of the summer. It’s a credit to him that he’s still put in 100% effort, and even agreed to play on Wednesday.

Also, as some of us said at the time, it makes the club look very foolish with how heavily he’s been marketed as the face of the team this summer. All the daft little videos in pre-season, making him the face of the online kit launch etc etc. All it did was get people’s hopes up that he’d actually stay and just looks silly in retrospect.

Great_Expectations

Clearly it’s massively gutting from an on pitch perspective, he’s pivotal to how we play and is a genuine game changer. He’ll absolutely be missed.

However, financially that’s a great deal. More money into the pot for MR to continue to build and add to the impressive squad he’s compiled so far.

He’s also a cult hero so he will be missed as will his passion.

On paper losing him and Vik is a significant blow, but I believe we’ll come out of August with a stronger overall squad than last year.

It is an odd move for him though, he’s unlikely to be able to play his style in such a poor team who will likely be dominated by others and he’ll likely be relegated.

Thanks for the memories Gus, maybe we’ll see you back in 24/25.

stgeorge1966

I say fair play to Gus, obviously wanted him to stop like the rest of us, but the end of the day its a career and if he is being offered silly money by Sheff Utd he has to think of this.

We have to invest the money now on another 2/3 players along with the 2 that we originally needed (Central Defender and Forward).

Need at least 2 midfielders now with Gus gone and Jamie Allen a long way off, the big question is who?

The end of the day we are a mid/lower championship football club but hopefully on the forward move.

Deity

Can we keep some perspective please.

I think Gus is a superb championship level player but our reaction is bordering on hysterical.

just remember last autumn when he was serving his long ban we had people on here saying he was a liability, needed to be sold for a couple of million in Jan et. Etc

We will replace Hamer, we will be stronger for his sake, not instantly but as a club over time.

Last edited:

TewkesburySkyBlue

Im not sure that will be his fault though. Agree to disagree but I think Hamer is a better all round player than Dublin, and I rate Dublin. Hamer is up there with Keane, McAllister, Nilsson IMO for a rare breed of player that makes the game look effortless. That’s in no way an attempt to denigrate Dublin who I love. I hate these stupid “which of these players is better” games.
I really agree Shmmee Ive been watching the city for more than sixty years and he's one of the handful of best players I've ever seen .Could change a game in an instant.
What at loss; far greater than Viktor as far as I'm concerned.
I know it was inevitable but SHEFFIELD UNITED?????? Gus is far better than that . We could be in a league above them before too long.
Good luck Gus and many many thanks but I fear you've made a bad choice.

Terry Gibson's perm

Interesting he is available for around £15 million but seems to have interest from a bottom feeder only, no interest from teams like Fulham,West Ham and various others.

junglej13

I think Gus is a superb championship level player but our reaction is bordering on hysterical.

just remember last uptime when he was serving his king ban we had people on here saying he was a liability, needed to be sold for a couple of million in Jan et. Etc

We will replace Hamer, we will be stronger for his sake, not instantly but as a club over time.
The final line is bang on for me. We might struggle to replace his creativity this season but the sale of Vik and Gus will strengthen us as a club over the next few seasons. Expect us to grow into this season and probably be stronger again the next couple of seasons.

rob9872

just remember last uptime when he was serving his king ban we had people on here saying he was a liability, needed to be sold for a couple of million in Jan et. Etc

*some people.

Others I think you'll note consistently supported him and understood how influential he is/was. Also, I think that card was important for his development. He stopped all those unnecessary cheap bookings after and in part why we were so good after he returned.

Reactions: PVA

Speedie's Head

I really agree Shmmee Ive been watching the city for more than sixty years and he's one of the handful of best players I've ever seen .Could change a game in an instant.
What at loss; far greater than Viktor as far as I'm concerned.
I know it was inevitable but SHEFFIELD UNITED?????? Gus is far better than that . We could be in a league above them before too long.
Good luck Gus and many many thanks but I fear you've made a bad choice.

Good luck to Gus, he deserves to play in the PL. He may even get a shot at the Netherlands squad with a few great performances on the telly.

I'd put this on a par with Denis Mortimer moving on, though and it doesn't mean I don't feel physically sick today.

chiefdave

Not good timing to say the least but not really much option if he won’t sign an extension.

Not been keeping up on this thread as there was pages of posts about modern slavery but wasn’t the story from the ITKs that he was desperate to leave the country to be closer to his kid, has anyone told him where Sheffield is???

Does show how quickly things change. Less than 12 months ago there was people calling for him to be shipped out to any club who would pay a fee as he was a liability. Now we’ve got people posting about him being irreplaceable

shmmeee

Not good timing to say the least but not really much option if he won’t sign an extension.

Not been keeping up on this thread as there was pages of posts about modern slavery but wasn’t the story from the ITKs that he was desperate to leave the country to be closer to his kid, has anyone told him where Sheffield is???

Does show how quickly things change. Less than 12 months ago there was people calling for him to be shipped out to any club who would pay a fee as he was a liability. Now we’ve got people posting about him being irreplaceable

SBT in having more than one poster shocker.

fatso

Gutted that he's gone, but 15million (if true) is big money for us, and gives us the chance to finish the squad rebuilding. 1 CH an AM and a quality box to box player would be good.

15 million is also good value for Sheffield utd, even average Premier league players go for way more than that, and if they get him signed on a long contract they'll still be a force if relegated.
I'm still surprised a better Premier league club didn't step in at that money, and I'm not sure he won't regret running his contract down and potentialy having more options.

covcity4life

I’m sure a fair chunk of the £15m will relate to appearances and probably Premier league survival but it’s still going to be at least £8m upfront so good business

Blows a lot of theories about Hamer out the window. He clearly wants a taste of premier league and that’s his main interest in life
Also shows I wasn't wrong to say he's worth at least 5m...

Hoofhearted

Gutted to lose him, incredibly difficult to replace him with him good he's been. I've a feeling we might go for Lewis Baker from Stoke, ex Chelsea which seems to be our mantra!

Users who are viewing this thread