Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (5 Viewers)

Sick Boy

I’m not getting this hatred for Wright at all. He’s been poor yes, but you can see what he offers. He’s big and pacy, and can beat a man when he gets his feet sorted.

Strikers are often confidence players. If it clicks for him I think he’s a danger to any team.

Plus it’s very harsh for our strikers to be getting the bulk of the flak when it’s fairly obvious our biggest issue is the gaping hole in midfield.
“This hatred” 😂😂

Legia Sky Blue

Wright scored goals in Turkey and Denmark's Premier Leagues so I presume must have some goals in him at our level too. Its clear that he, nor Simms are poachers or natural finishers like Godden is, and they are currently playing with no confidence. A lucky/ scrambled goal would come in handy just to give them a boost, as I'm sure both are and will be much better than we have seen so far.

steve cooper

There's zero hatred.

It ain't Wright's fault we've splunked so much on him.
If we had paid Brighton the sort of money for Vik we paid for Haji there would have been uproar on here. I'm not comparing the two players at all, just saying that Vik didn't appear to be worth a few million let alone £20M when we signed him.
From what I've seen of Haji I really believe there is a very good player in there. We will see who is right when he has had time to settle in to a new country, a new team, and got used to how the game is played in the Championship.

Last edited:

stevefloyd

Wright scored goals in Turkey and Denmark's Premier Leagues so I presume must have some goals in him at our level too. Its clear that he, nor Simms are poachers or natural finishers like Godden is, and they are currently playing with no confidence. A lucky/ scrambled goal would come in handy just to give them a boost, as I'm sure both are and will be much better than we have seen so far.
He can start by controlling the ball, thats nothing to do with confidence and awareness of players around him thats also not confidence, how does Robins give him confidence and why has he lost his?

stevefloyd

There’s people seriously comparing him to Bakayoko
The way he doesn't control the ball, the way he doesn't seem to know what he's doing or where to go and the way he isn't using his natural attributes ...up to him to prove people wrong..I for one 100% I am proved wrong but he ain't looking too good atm!

skybluecam

The way he doesn't control the ball, the way he doesn't seem to know what he's doing or where to go and the way he isn't using his natural attributes ...up to him to prove people wrong..I for one 100% I am proved wrong but he ain't looking too good atm!
I think the “controlling the ball” critique isn’t fair. Last night he was so isolated that unless it was glued to his feet when he received a pass it would get picked off straight away. Wouldn’t happen if there was more support and better progressive passing from midfield.

stevefloyd

I think the “controlling the ball” critique isn’t fair. Last night he was so isolated that unless it was glued to his feet when he received a pass it would get picked off straight away. Wouldn’t happen if there was more support and better progressive passing from midfield.
Did you actually watch the game last night?? he couldn't control the ball

Mucca Mad Boys

Robins summed it up pretty well. Poor defensive work and a weak midfield is at fault here.

Take out Hamer and Sheaf and our midfield isn’t where it needs to be. It’s no surprise we perked up when Ayari came on.

Our midfield just isn’t capable of penetrating organised and structured teams.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Wright needs to constantly move the opposition backline instead of standing next to a defender waiting for a ball, its too easy for opposition defence at the moment

Is he playing in the right position in the team, Mark Robins has history of playing striker's in the wrong position.

djr8369

Did you actually watch the game last night?? he couldn't control the ball
I was watching on a tablet with a very poor internet connection and missed large chunks of the game, so I can’t really comment on last night, but he has shown some good touches in other games so can clearly control the ball. That said, he seems to be one of those players where when it doesn’t work out he looks clumsy so I can sort of see why people are frustrated.

Boicey

Robins summed it up pretty well. Poor defensive work and a weak midfield is at fault here.

Take out Hamer and Sheaf and our midfield isn’t where it needs to be. It’s no surprise we perked up when Ayari came on.

Our midfield just isn’t capable of penetrating organised and structured teams.
There were problems everywhere. But having a front 3 who can't hold the ball, tackle back or offer an outlet puts huge pressure on the rest of the team.

Finham

Plenty of signs that he wasn't a prolific striker from his history, too:

2017–2019Schalke 047(1)
2017–2018SV Sandhausen (loan)15(1)
2019–2020VVV-Venlo22(0)

Honestly thought he looked clumsy in his Turkish highlights vids. A flair player with pace who can do the unexpected-if he's on form.

Malaka

Early days but I would have expected a bit more from him. Vic was a slow starter, I think Robins will get the best out of him.

robbiekeane

Wright was dire but some comments are stupid. He clearly has some ability and pace - reasonable shot with both feet - he may fail but he’s not the amateur being described here
Agreed. Stopped reading all the shite, people love a pile on.

Then if he ever does come good and gets sold will be crying he didn’t make a genuine enough goodbye video

Finham

He was 19-22 there in fairness.
At a poor level. Frankly, you just don't spend that much on a player who can go goal-less in the Dutch league! Although as I think as someone pointed out when I first said this, "but he scored in the cup!"

shmmeee

At a poor level. Frankly, you just don't spend that much on a player who can go goal-less in the Dutch league! Although as I think as someone pointed out when I first said this, "but he scored in the cup!"

I don’t disagree that his background is poor. But not everyone is Rooney banging in goals when young. Look at Chuba Akpom.

Finham

I don’t disagree that his background is poor. But not everyone is Rooney banging in goals when young. Look at Chuba Akpom.
I know man but it's not like there isn't a history of SUCCESFUL strikers from Holland flopping here-plus he wasn't THAT young! Or at least, yeah ok he was younger so he only got 5 or 6-but zilch? You don't pay what we paid with that background, surely?

shmmeee

I know man but it's not like there isn't a history of SUCCESFUL strikers from Holland flopping here-plus he wasn't THAT young! Or at least, yeah ok he was younger so he only got 5 or 6-but zilch? You don't pay what we paid with that background, surely?

His last couple of seasons have been OK. I can kinda see the argument there. But a glance at him actually playing or what those who had seen him up close were saying always suggested it was a couple of freak seasons in a poor league not the blossoming of the next R9.

Mucca Mad Boys

Callum Wilson scored 1 goal in 44 odd games on loan at Kettering.

Past performance is not an indicator of the future… you’re only as good as your last game.

Finham

Callum Wilson scored 1 goal in 44 odd games on loan at Kettering.

Past performance is not an indicator of the future… you’re only as good as your last game.
1 in 17 as an 18 year old, then 1 in 3 at Kettering. Wright was 21-2 at MVV. But yes, his was a quite remarkable evolution.

I'm sorry, but past performance needs factoring in when you paid what we paid.

SkyblueTexan

I think the criticism of Wright is fair because of the price we paid for him and the fact that his striking partner, who was purchased for far far less, is able to put away chances in spite of our inept midfield and defence. Granted Wright has had less time to gel, but his overall lack of awareness and poor technique has me concerned.

procdoc

Managed to catch the ‘highlights’ earlier. Fuck me Wright couldn’t trap a back of cement. I expect much more quality for someone paid a massive fee for

stay_up_skyblues

He’s looked poor the last two games. I think there’s a player in there and will give the benefit of the doubt given the change in country and league. But he needs dropping now, some work in training and to play the impact sub role for a bit. Ellis, you’re up.

ProfessorbyGrace

I think the criticism of Wright is fair because of the price we paid for him and the fact that his striking partner, who was purchased for far far less, is able to put away chances in spite of our inept midfield and defence. Granted Wright has had less time to gel, but his overall lack of awareness and poor technique has me concerned.
This is it for me, also. I hate to right-off players early on (no pun intended), but the signs are that he’s struggling to adapt at the moment. And to be honest, I would rather give Simms a shot with Godden, as the former’s link up play and awareness seem a tad better at this stage.

However, knowing MR, he’ll persevere with Wright till he either clicks, or gets bombed out.

Users who are viewing this thread