Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (14 Viewers)

Houdi

Every transfer is a risk even those costing 10 times this amount.
Lukaku 97 million at Chelsea was an absolute disaster they couldn't wait to get rid of him, but tbf was decent elsewhere.
Pogba World Cup winner great pedigree, but was widely derided at Man U,as lazy disinterested, inconsistent etc, he was bought for 100 million, and seemingly most Man Utd fans couldn't wait to get rid of him.
Perhaps the best yet is Harry Maguire, hours of tape on him and yet both Leicester and Man United valued him at 80 million. Go on YouTube and there seemingly hundreds of videos openly mocking him, 20 minutes videos of him falling over, crashing into own players, giving the ball away and even passing it into the crowd. 100's of comments of Man U fans calling him the worst signing they have ever seen. Plus he even has 4 relegations on his CV by the age of 25.
Yes he is a gamble but probably worth it and as a striker could be worth many millions more in a couple of years. Robins has surely earned the right to be trusted on this one.

David O'Day

Those at the start of this thread (although I realise you are being sarcastic). Sorry I've pissed you and everyone else off, I just think it's a huge gamble for that amount of money. I've said I really hope he proves me wrong, not sure what more people want.
fair play for your services to chatting nonsense on this thread

David O'Day

Who played and scored the same amount of goals in the championship that Ellis Simms has by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simms who we paid 3.5 million up front for and own

As has been said it's fucking mental to spend a million quid on loaning someone at our level

Telfer85

does he just play against the bottom half of the league?
I was thinking this as well… like where a team finishes means all their players are shite. I can think of a few players from teams that finished bottom half of the champ last season I wouldn’t mind and as someone pointed out the Turkish league is ranked by fifa one place below the championship so is a similar level.

That said I’m not against people having reservations that’s fine we don’t often spend big fees so it’s fine to be cautious. But from the videos I’ve seen I don’t get being so down on him. He looks very direct when running with the ball and has pace and strength. 3 of the same attributes gyokeres had and his finishing looks quite tidy as well. Now granted all we’ve all got is video clips to base it on and I’m not saying he’s a like for like for gyok just looks like he had similar qualities.

Unless there are avid watchers of the Turkish league in here we don’t know what he contributes for the whole game so time will tell. He seems to have similar raw attributes to adebayo at Luton who I’m sure people would agree very good at champ level at times. Fingers crossed him and Simms can form a good partnership.

CBS16

He reminds me of Adebayo too. Agree with this point, I don't believe the fee and if that is the fee then we must be extremely confident he can deliver. We have no reason not to trust the football brains at the club they've got a lot right lately
I was thinking this as well… like where a team finishes means all their players are shite. I can think of a few players from teams that finished bottom half of the champ last season I wouldn’t mind and as someone pointed out the Turkish league is ranked by fifa one place below the championship so is a similar level.

That said I’m not against people having reservations that’s fine we don’t often spend big fees so it’s fine to be cautious. But from the videos I’ve seen I don’t get being so down on him. He looks very direct when running with the ball and has pace and strength. 3 of the same attributes gyokeres had and his finishing looks quite tidy as well. Now granted all we’ve all got is video clips to base it on and I’m not saying he’s a like for like for gyok just looks like he had similar qualities.

Unless there are avid watchers of the Turkish league in here we don’t know what he contributes for the whole game so time will tell. He seems to have similar raw attributes to adebayo at Luton who I’m sure people would agree very good at champ level at times. Fingers crossed him and Simms can form a good partnership.

TomRad85

I don’t think any of those signings compare to this one. Hamer is the closest comparison and was a stunning success but this is totally different - it’s a huge gamble, and if it fails it’s a disaster that could set us back years.
Fucking hell lighten up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

djr8369

But USA are crap. Kastaneer was an international, it doesn’t mean anything on its own.

I’d agree we need to move on, but £9m is a fee I’d pay for him having scored 15-20 at a similar level. He’s a £2-3M gamble with a finished article price tag. He cost less than £2m a year ago.
Turkish is league has same rating as the championship in the global rankings.

TomRad85

Can't believe the shit I'm reading on here tonight. I thought the Hamer thread was bad, but this is going in a similar direction. No, the Turkish league is not the Premier League, but some of the players over there include: Wilfred Zaha, Mauro Icardi, Edin Džeko, Michy Batshuayi, Dries Mertens, Ante Rebić, and Dušan Tadić. There's a significant amount of quality and it is a competitive league. Most of the players mentioned above are also significantly better than what is in the Championship.

Yes, of course there are weaker teams there, but some are going on as if it is the Saudi Arabian league. It isn't. Again, it is probably more like the Eredivisie in The Netherlands. A few stronger teams yes, but some that are more than capable too. A striker that has scored 30 goals in 60 odd games at Antalyaspor is one that should in all intents and purposes make us a lot better.

If it is 7 million or whatever, then I totally respect that the money quoted is a lot, there isn't two ways about that. Much of this comes back to the fact we aren't used to it though. We're a traumatised fan base in general. Think about it logically however; if we have Simms and Wright, with up front costs that still leaves us half the Vik money - which I think we can all agree has probably been spent well across other parts of the squad too. We should be in for a top season really, and for those with question marks, I think you may be positivity surprised.
Good post, some of the shit I've woken up and read is utterly embarrassing. News flash people, decent footballers cost money, we're just not used to seeing it as we had fucking SISU crushing the life out of us.
Honestly if you can't just enjoy this then I'm not sure what the club can do really.

Mucca Mad Boys

But USA are crap. Kastaneer was an international, it doesn’t mean anything on its own.

I’d agree we need to move on, but £9m is a fee I’d pay for him having scored 15-20 at a similar level. He’s a £2-3M gamble with a finished article price tag. He cost less than £2m a year ago.

We’ve just sold Gyokeres for €24 million who had 21 goals with one year left on his contract. So signing a player with a similar amount of goals in a similar standard league for €9m doesn’t seem so bad. To call him a €2-3m player is an insult when even trasfermarkt of all places has his value as €6m - which usually low balls it.

He’s a gamble to you because you’ve never watched him play nor the league he’s played in. I highly doubt Robins would make such a decision on a whim.

What ‘finished article’ would you sign for less? Even Robins wouldn’t describe Gyokeres as ‘the finished article’ so what does that even mean?!

PS. Kastaneer played for Netherlands at age group level. He was never a full international.

Mucca Mad Boys

He literally did score 15-20 at a similar level
If we sold Gyokeres for €24 million with one year left on his contract, what is a realistic market rate for a striker with that amount of goals?

Assuming the upfront cost for Wright and Simms is £11.2m for 2 players that could get 20-30 goals between them, is that good business?

Personally, I’d say yes.

djr8369

Looking at some of his highlights it seems obvious why he has drawn attention and bids from a few clubs? He’s quite technical and skilful, can carry the ball up the pitch, good at linking up play, excellent at holding off defenders, very calm in front of goal, has scored goals in a decent European league and has good amount of international experience. To me he looks like he could be very good in the Championship.

All those things are going to cost you a few million. Compare that to Vic who cost about a million and at that point has only shown a few glimpses of a few of those traits.

Fee might be a little high but looks like the market has pushed up his price a bit and they want to maximise their income like we did with Vic.

From highlights alone I can’t see where the negative comments from US fans are coming from. I’d imagine you’d need to watch him over the course of a few full games, but fans can quickly get on the back of big players who can look clumsy when they don’t pull things off.

djr8369

If we sold Gyokeres for €24 million with one year left on his contract, what is a realistic market rate for a striker with that amount of goals?

Assuming the upfront cost for Wright and Simms is £11.2m for 2 players that could get 20-30 goals between them, is that good business?

Personally, I’d say yes.
I dont get what people think we should be getting for 7-9 million tbh. For half of it you get Simms who did half a season in the championship and a few prem appearances.

Strikers cost money.

Brighton Sky Blue

Who played and scored the same amount of goals in the championship that Ellis Simms has by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and if we tried to buy Cannon, Everton would be charging a similar fee as they did for Simms. If they weren’t going to charge £1 million just for a loan then half the Championship would be trying to get him in.

As it is, nobody is biting.

TomRad85

Yes and if we tried to buy Cannon, Everton would be charging a similar fee as they did for Simms. If they weren’t going to charge £1 million just for a loan then half the Championship would be trying to get him in.

As it is, nobody is biting.
Every time another team in the league gets a half decent player you get this "why didn't we get him?" rubbish. We'd have a squad of about 50 now if it was up to some in here with all our opponents coming into the season with their under 21s. Also who the hell wants to pay a million for a fucking loan?

Brighton Sky Blue

Every time another team in the league gets a half decent player you get this "why didn't we get him?" rubbish. We'd have a squad of about 50 now if it was up to some in here with all our opponents coming into the season with their under 21s. Also who the hell wants to pay a million for a fucking loan?

Also on Wright, look at the goal he scored against the Netherlands. Really tricky technique to execute and especially for a ‘big man’.

skyblu3sk

Also on Wright, look at the goal he scored against the Netherlands. Really tricky technique to execute and especially for a ‘big man’.
If you took the fee away I'm sure everyone on here would be excited for this signing. That's why people need to take the press figure with a pinch of salt similar to the simms figures everyone was aghast at!

CCFC54321

We can't be paying that much , he went for 1.9 million in his last few
I reckon 2-2.5 million would be fee
I agree, we won’t be paying close to £8m for this type of player. I think one outlet has made a number up and the rest have ran with it. As you have said will be closer to the simms fee.

clint van damme

If you took the fee away I'm sure everyone on here would be excited for this signing. That's why people need to take the press figure with a pinch of salt similar to the simms figures everyone was aghast at!

A fee which is almost certainly incorrect!

David O'Day

I agree, we won’t be paying close to £8m for this type of player. I think one outlet has made a number up and the rest have ran with it. As you have said will be closer to the simms fee.
He has multiple seasons as a 1 in 2 scorer in a good league which is ranked almost identically to the championship

how much would a similar player in this league go for?

Ccfcisparks

Personally, I’d say yes.
Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread