Gyokores (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueMatt

So £2.8m is 20% of £14m.

We are talking about an £18m fee. You think we bought him for £4m?
It was based on 15million (a figure mentioned a few times in here), I don't think we would get 18 for him.

I should have said that at the beginning...

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

KenilworthSkyBlue

They let him go
He’d failed at Swansea
He’d not suggested anything to us in the short loan spell
I would think 30% is way too much

Prior to joining Peterborough Ivan Toney had, had a reasonable record in League One. But there was little to nothing to suggest he'd ever make at Newcastle. Yet they still took the decision to insert a high sell-on clause.

Brighton are pretty shrewd in their transfer dealings. I'd imagine it's a point of policy to insert relatively sizeable sell-on clauses into the contracts of most of the young players they move on for a fee.

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

And 20% of £18m is....

To be fair, it's not 20% of £18m. It's 20% of profit we make on him. If we bought him for £1.5m and sell him for £18m, then it's 20% of £16.5m.

Although I'm not sure if wages/agents fees are included in the profit calculation.

And to be fair, it'll probably differ by club and deal as well.

skybluepm2

Assuming you mean SISU get 15%? It doesn’t work like that. All the revenue would go to the club, not handed out in proportion to the shareholders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I know that. And I know how dividends and shares work as I run my own business. I was merely wondering if there was a deal in place that as part of the sale of the Club, SISU were still owed anything, possibly recouped by Player Sales etc. even if taken out by King and paid directly to them that way.

Probably just my pessimism getting the better of me as I still don’t see their purpose for selling the majority of their stake, unless there
was something in it for them. Didn’t intend to take the Gyokeres thread off on a tangent, probably one for the DK Takeover discussion 😎

slowpoke

I think release clauses are pretty common in sales from Premiership clubs.
It’s a business after all.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Godden or a loanee

I like Godden, but I just think the lack of goals across the team is still a massive issue. They are scoring less than ever, which means our striker needs to score more than ever. Could Godden do that? Or an untried loanee? Not sure at all.

I do think there is some garbage in this league, and we probably do have enough points to stay up already even if that did happen, but I don't think it is anywhere near as dismissive as you are making it out to be. I seriously doubt we would start climbing the league if Gyokeres was sold, put it that way.

Hertsccfc

I like Godden, but I just think the lack of goals across the team is still a massive issue. They are scoring less than ever, which means our striker needs to score more than ever. Could Godden do that? Or an untried loanee? Not sure at all.

I do think there is some garbage in this league, and we probably do have enough points to stay up already even if that did happen, but I don't think it is anywhere near as dismissive as you are making it out to be. I seriously doubt we would start climbing the league if Gyokeres was sold, put it that way.
A fit Godden or Walker would score goals in this team. Obviously they are not anyway near as good players as Gyokeres but they do score goals.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

A fit Godden or Walker would score goals in this team. Obviously they are not anyway near as good players as Gyokeres but they do score goals.

Godden will score some, but as many as Gyokeres? I don't think so. Walker won't score as many as you think either.

We have such a goal shy midfield, we have almost no room for error for a loan striker to stop scoring.

I will die on this hill.

Hertsccfc

Godden will score some, but as many as Gyokeres? I don't think so. Walker won't score as many as you think either.

We have such a goal shy midfield, we have almost no room for error for a loan striker to stop scoring.

I will die on this hill.
Godden or maybe Walker would score enough to keep us up, especially if we brought in an attacking midfielder who can score to replace Allen. If he stays fit Palmer will score goals in my view. Purely a subjective opinion I know but I am confident he has the capability to do so.

Allen needs to be a squad player not a regular starter. We can't have him and Sheaf as non scoring midfielders and Sheaf is by far the better player.

Hertsccfc

Allen's scored an infinite number of league goals more from midfield this season than Palmer.
As I said it's a subjective opinion based on what I have seen not their statistics to date. The numbers are so low for both as to be statistically irrelevant.

For me with Palmer it is all about whether he maintains fitness and plays regularly. But then again I might be wrong. Only time will tell.

Hertsccfc

I will die on this hill.
Godden's scoring rate last season was better than Gyokeres' this season btw. And no I am not saying Godden is better than Gyokeres.

Hertsccfc

One's our third top scorer in the league, one isn't.

One's on course for about 5-6 league goals this season (par for a midfielder really) and one isn't.
As I said it was a subjective opinion not stats based.

Allen has played almost double the number of minutes and has scored three goals to Palmer's one. So his scoring rate is a bit better, but it's not statistically significant because of the small numbers. If Palmer had scored another goal he would have a better record.

NorthernWisdom

As I said it was a subjective opinion not stats based.

Allen has played almost double the number of minutes and has scored three goals to Palmer's one. So his scoring rate is a bit better, but it's not statistically significant because of the small numbers. If Palmer had scored another goal he would have a better record.
How many league goals has Palmer got from midfield this season?

Skyblueweeman

I didn't realise our goals scored total was so low. Only 3 teams have scored have scored less.

It is a bonkers division though with just 10 points separating 7th and 21st.

Brighton Sky Blue

Southampton it has been suggested after Vik but unwilling to meet £18m fee. To think they are currently looking like falling into the championship especially if ward-Prowse leaves in this window as others are suggesting. Not a good move for Vik.
TBF Blackburn have just lost Brereton-Diaz to Villareal on a pre contract for fuck all. Was valued at 16 Million in the Summer

Cant have the same happen to Vik here

He will be gone in the summer for definite but we’d be in serious trouble if we let him go earlier.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I didn't realise our goals scored total was so low. Only 3 teams have scored have scored less.

It is a bonkers division though with just 10 points separating 7th and 21st.

It's something that has been overlooked, definitely.

Doesn't help when your defenders take holidays during matches and steal the spotlight, however!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Godden or maybe Walker would score enough to keep us up, especially if we brought in an attacking midfielder who can score to replace Allen. If he stays fit Palmer will score goals in my view. Purely a subjective opinion I know but I am confident he has the capability to do so.

Allen needs to be a squad player not a regular starter. We can't have him and Sheaf as non scoring midfielders and Sheaf is by far the better player.

I agree with your last line there, but I am really paranoid about the lack of goals from the overall team in general. I know this is probably a bit of a silly reference, but if I am putting on an accumulator of two teams that have similar standings or form, I always look at their capability to score goals through the goals scored column. It often serves me well in the end.

I guess the point in general is that we need more goals in the team anyway, but I would be worried if we lost Gyokeres. That also being said, I still think he could do better, and I feel he has changed his style of play since he first joined a bit. He's a lot more selfish now, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes frustrating.

stay_up_skyblues

TBF Blackburn have just lost Brereton-Diaz to Villareal on a pre contract for fuck all. Was valued at 16 Million in the Summer

Cant have the same happen to Vik here

It’s a colossal “if” but were they to get promoted this season with him in the side then its a good decision to hold on rather than take the money.

Ashdown

I can’t help but feel sceptical about the loss of Vik if it happened and where that money would go. We should be building the team around him if we want to progress. Anyway MR says he is going nowhere so hopefully that is the case.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree with your last line there, but I am really paranoid about the lack of goals from the overall team in general. I know this is probably a bit of a silly reference, but if I am putting on an accumulator of two teams that have similar standings or form, I always look at their capability to score goals through the goals scored column. It often serves me well in the end.

I guess the point in general is that we need more goals in the team anyway, but I would be worried if we lost Gyokeres. That also being said, I still think he could do better, and I feel he has changed his style of play since he first joined a bit. He's a lot more selfish now, which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes frustrating.

I still can’t believe he didn’t even shoot when through one on one. He has buried similar chances most of the time.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I still can’t believe he didn’t even shoot when through one on one. He has buried similar chances most of the time.

If he did shoot and missed, some people would say he should have gone round the keeper.

NorthernWisdom

His finishing isn't great tbh. It is however better than it was last season. What I wouldn't be doing is buying Gyokeres as a goalscorer, but more for his other qualities and the fact he'll chip in with the occasional goal too. I do worry that this spell is the anomoly in his goalscoring, although tbf he's carried it on from last season so I guess at some stage I have to accept he can miss plenty of chances as long as he keeps making them for himself.

It's back to that Doug King thing of do the right thing over and over and eventually it'll succeed - is why I'd rather have players miss chances than players who are never there in the first place to have the chance at all.

Users who are viewing this thread