Gillingham (Home) Match Thread (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Didn't they have 700 in the first game back and that was on a week night and on TV. Although I suspect there was a few Cov fans in there and a few just interested in the spectacle

Yeah about that, very impressive following that night.

Hobo

Gillingham were my tip to be the suprise package. I expect them to go all the way. Should be a very entertaining game.

Gazolba

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Mr Suicidal (Nigel) on radio now saying he can't go because he is frightened of being disappointed. FFS
Well isn't he right?
Whenever we get a bigger crowd we lose, so 12,000 fine by me.

BTW if everyone got a friend or family member to go then the number would jump right up. I will be talking a couple extra.
Do it for the team.☺

letsallsingtogether

No silly excuses not to be there is there? It's not too expensive and it's very entertaining
Funny that we had hundreds of those excuses why people couldn't make it to the council house to picket against the Wasps?
But now none of them count.

bawtryneal

If I was the club I would do 2 things on Monday:

1. Open the 2 blocks in North stand behind the goal from rows A to Z only. Makes a statement that the club is open for business and expects and is prepared for a 15k gate. Get a second member of staff to the shop to help with the ticket sales.

2. Learn from last year - instead of £10 do a BOGOF deal with the Doncaster game the next Saturday. (Bradford away mid-week so another big week coming up!)

Would do something similar. Gillingham and Donny for £30

Not sure about opening the North Stand unless sure you can fill it or part fill. Atmosphere so much better with everybody together. Plus saves stewarding and retail costs.

chinamans view

We got 27000 last year and this game is far more important, the media should really be doing there bit to get a big attendance by plugging it at every chance.

Otis

Would reckon maybe 13,500. Maybe just over 14,000 at a push.

We're not going to skyrocket overnight.

If it were Sheff Utd and their bringing a lot more fans, it might well have been 16,000, but whether we are in a top spot matchup or not, it is Gillingham (no disrespect) and I just can't see everyone flocking to this game.

Specs WT-R75

Would do something similar. Gillingham and Donny for £30

Not sure about opening the North Stand unless sure you can fill it or part fill. Atmosphere so much better with everybody together. Plus saves stewarding and retail costs.

We are still going to get 10k+ fans in the East which will be fine for the atmosphere, and if we can get a bit of noise behind the goal as well who knows perhaps it could make the difference.

If there was ever a game to speculate in advance then this would be it - 2nd vs 1st - when was the last time that happened at home in November.. has it ever happened outside of the first month at home?!

Based on what I have seen in other games it looks like they open up the North one block at a time as needed starting from B24 with the pay on gate - imho it's worth paying an extra couple of k's to gamble on this game being a bigger attendance... as for retail, just make people walk round to the corner to get some food/drink - no big deal, or spread out the retail a bit more to open one outlet.

Rob S

We're in League One. We're playing Gillingham. For us die-hards, this is a must-see game. For the rest, it's probably not the most exciting football event.

Coupled with all the turmoil surrounding the club in recent years, I can't really blame anyone for staying away.

Personally, I'm loving being back at the Ricoh and the tour of some of the country's tedious little toilet-towns. It's a bit of a stretch to expect too many people to feel the same way tho'.

Skyblueweeman

I was thinking of driving up for this one until the wife reminded me we have plans on Saturday night which I wouldn't be back for in time and I can't get out of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torchomatic

Funny that we had hundreds of those excuses why people couldn't make it to the council house to picket against the Wasps?
But now none of them count.
Ah bless. Still the victim. I think you forgot that people actually work.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mcbean

If Gillingham bring two thousand the town will be empty - and get real with Coventry apathetic fans - Gillingham - centre of the footballing universe - no I don't think so

I want to be there with proper fans - the game will be very tight - I don't care if its one nil scrappy goal !!

I guess if this was the end of season game that puts us up then the general unwashed from Coventry will tip up and we could get 20K plus

shmmeee

Fair enough. You're talking apples I'm talking oranges.

Last year was also poor due to the season away at Sixfields. Depressingly our current average attendance is only 900 more than the 2012/13 season, despite being in the top 6, averaging 2.1 points per game over the last 10, playing some of the most exciting football since the Robbie Keane days and having cheaper ST's, matchday tickets and matchday packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Stu, history shows that all else being equal an unsuccessful season takes 5-10% off the crowd. By rights we should be down near 6-7k. We just don't maintain support finishing near the bottom of any league. Pulling in 12k, especially considering the crap around our owners, is actually pretty good considering we've not actually had any success beforehand. If we keep this up I expect a final average of around 13-14k, which would be nearly double what we should've expected for this season and a fantastic effort. It would also mean we could expect 20k after promotion based on previous promotions. Which again is fantastic.

Just because we all bleed Sky Blue and think nothing is different, doesn't mean we are the norm. We shouldn't hold your average fan to the same expectations as us nutters. Most people are just looking for some entertainment in a Saturday, we are like those guys who went to the opening of LOTR dressed as Gandalf and clapped at the end.

stupot07

Coventry V Gillingham Top of the Table clash Match thread

Stu, history shows that all else being equal an unsuccessful season takes 5-10% off the crowd. By rights we should be down near 6-7k. We just don't maintain support finishing near the bottom of any league. Pulling in 12k, especially considering the crap around our owners, is actually pretty good considering we've not actually had any success beforehand. If we keep this up I expect a final average of around 13-14k, which would be nearly double what we should've expected for this season and a fantastic effort. It would also mean we could expect 20k after promotion based on previous promotions. Which again is fantastic.

Just because we all bleed Sky Blue and think nothing is different, doesn't mean we are the norm. We shouldn't hold your average fan to the same expectations as us nutters. Most people are just looking for some entertainment in a Saturday, we are like those guys who went to the opening of LOTR dressed as Gandalf and clapped at the end.

I think you also have to consider massively discounted ST and matchday ticket packages and also The positive of Mowbray signing for 2 years as one of the biggest reasons higher attendances than last season.

I'm not even having a pop at fans, some are predicting 17k+ or it's a failure, I'm saying around 13k with the reasons I think that and getting pulled up on it. If we're top 2 going towards the end of Feb - early March then I think crowds will start to swell significantly. I'm not sure I'm as optimistic as you on what our championship crowds will be if we do get promoted. I think the rhetoric of the financial model won't work will put many off from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

I think you also have to consider massively discounted ST and matchday ticket packages and also The positive of Mowbray signing for 2 years as one of the biggest reasons higher attendances than last season.

I'm not even having a pop at fans, some are predicting 17k+ or it's a failure, I'm saying around 13k with the reasons I think that and getting pulled up on it. If we're top 2 going towards the end of Feb - early March then I think crowds will start to swell significantly. I'm not sure I'm as optimistic as you on what our championship crowds will be if we do get promoted. I think the rhetoric of the financial model won't work will put many off from the start.

Interesting thoughts - in normal circumstances you would hope for some sort of catapult effect from a promotion, and you really hope that our owners wouldn't be stupid enough to cock up that opportunity, by using negative PR about our status at the Ricoh. A promotion for us ought to make us even more vital to Wasps (tiny spit!), which would hopefully give us more bargaining power, and maybe make us even more attractive as a saleable entity (although I don't want to re-ignite another thread trail about that aspect). Shame if we can't re-energise our fanbase through this season, though - best chance for decades?!

skyblue1991

Do Gillingham travel in those numbers?

To not so good grounds - no.

To the best ground in League One for a mouthwatering clash, quite possibly (2k is probably over optimistic).
Wigan brought 2k for the first game and they were renown for being a poorly supported club away.

Astute

Anything less than 15k including 1.5-2k Gills fans would be rather embarassing.

Getting less than 15k for a division 3 game is embarrassing? We used to get much less in the top flight. And count me out. Not there yesterday and not going again for about a month.

fernandopartridge

So now it's not about the lack of a top 6 finish it's about the opposition. Funny that Gillingham were worthy of 27k last season but aren't this?

georgehudson

because of all the reasons previously discussed, NOPM, Fisher, etc., & Gillinghams low support level i'd guess @ 13,250 with 750 Gills

letsallsingtogether

I was a work as it was during the week.

Not seeing your point here.

There you go you got it isnt a saturday just a normal working day for a lot of people.
I know at least 4 who cant make every game.

Grendel

Getting less than 15k for a division 3 game is embarrassing? We used to get much less in the top flight. And count me out. Not there yesterday and not going again for about a month.

It's top 6 that matters though not the league we are in,

I wait for when this happens sisu to be declared the best owners of modern times, Tim Fisher to be given the freedom of the city and 32,000 season tickets sold next season,

Otis

There you go you got it isnt a saturday just a normal working day for a lot of people.
I know at least 4 who cant make every game.
Not sure I can go, though desperately want to.

Should be a great atmosphere and entertaining game too I would have thought.

turlykerd

i struggle to get up to games , but im coming to this one.

gonna be my first proper top of the table clash and i cant fucking wait !!!!

Astute

We should build a stadium at the Butts. Then it couldn't be seen as embarrassing by some not to get over 15k against Gillingham who won't bring that many in Division 3.

I hope we do have a big attendance. But I would have thought that they would have been higher than they have been so far.

Users who are viewing this thread